• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:04 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm feeling a bit better about Crest of the Stars. I still have only seen the first three eppies, but I switched to subtitles for the third and re-watched a chunk of the second that I had sort of fallen asleep during when I first watched it. I think maybe I just wasn't in the right mood the first time I tried it. Plus, now I have more of an idea what type of series it actually is. Oh, and it would appear spoiler[a big war is coming,] so that might be cool.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote
My sentiments regarding the Crest and Banner series are as follows: whilst the character interactions that pepper each episode are occasionally of an endearing sort, the fifth episode of Crest stands at the paramount of what one can expect from the story. Its rousing, valiant battle is poorly emulated in subsequent engagements.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Eek. Episode 5 of a 38 episode franchise is a bit early to peak... here's hoping I disagree with your assessment.
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching the currently airing Haiyore! Nyaruko-san just to watch a fun, guilty pleasure. I'm having fun watching Nyaruko's adventures with every new episode that comes each week.

I am also watching the classic shojo series Idol Densetsu Eriko, I'm rather impressed with the series so far, from the drama to the music, and Eriko is quite the inspirational young lady, with her never say give up attitude and her kind heart, she is a wonderful role model.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Finished season 1 & 2 of Letter Bee. It has some significant things that drag it down. I found the premise very interesting and having lots of potential, but instead of exploring this world that is always night, it chooses to focus on how the main character Lag always does his best and every 'villain' spoiler[except Lawrence] isn't really bad. Anyone who does anything wrong turns out not to be a bad guy or have bad intentions. It's all misunderstandings. The first season is very slice of life, and the second concentrates on a rebel group of the government, and introduces the idea that the rebels may not be the bad guys afterall (Lag works for the government). But spoiler[it never resolves anything. Lag and friends stop the immediate threat and the government gets to be a karma houdini. Even though they did horrible experiments on humans, apparently Lag doesn't care about that and decides to keep working for them.] I was disappointed when what I viewed to be the most interesting element was never explained or expanded, that being that spoiler[Lag is probably not human. I found that very interesting. My guess, is maybe he's a creature like the Maka who has taken on human form, but the Day of the Flicker caused him to lose his memories.] The fights, though few and far between, are usually pretty cool, especially ones involving Niche. Her hair is an awesome weapon, and they do a good job showing her battles. The Gaichuu are also cool-looking, but the tendency for them to suddenly stop attacking when our protagonist starts a "I'll do my best" speech is lame. And it doesn't help that the MC Lag cries an average of 2 times an episode. If I remember right, there were only 2 eps in the entire 50-ep series he doesn't cry in.
Overall, a very shounen series seasoned heavily with friendship and doing your best themes.

I started Samurai Champloo and am already on ep 6. This series has really sucked me in. I'm glad it's not nearly as bloody as I thought it was going to be. That's the main reason I didn't start it until now; many people know of my gore aversion and have warned me away from this show. There is blood but it's not bad (so far anyway), and there are instances of people losing limbs, but they don't show anything graphic like severed bones or etc. The fights really impress me. Detailed and extremely well choreographed, they did not skimp here. The music isn't normally my thing so it doesn't wow me, but it fits incredibly well and anyone who is a fan of hip-hop should go watch this right now. I really can't wait to watch the rest.
Masakaki

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
[edit]

Last edited by Masakaki on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:20 am; edited 3 times in total
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:43 pm Reply with quote
If you still have a warm, fuzzy feeling after episodes 18-21, your stomach is stronger than mine!
Masakaki

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote
[edit]

Last edited by Masakaki on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:20 am; edited 3 times in total
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Well I don't want to build the ending storylines up too much, but I will say why I (and I think others) find the show horrific in general: the niceness of Mai, the odd-ball cast, the potential for romance and so on all seem to imply a rather harmless show, so that when the ickiness does appear, it's a sort of intrusion that feels... wrong!
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Showed a friend of mine Redline yesterday, and he enjoyed it. His dad came home about halfway through and made fun of us a little for watching cartoons. Then he tried to watch a little starting at about the point where Roboworld fired the hyper-disintegrator cannon at Funky Boy, and then Volton merged with the computer/tentacle monster thing to fight Funky Boy when he turned out to be not dead, and that was just too f-ing weird for him.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:40 am Reply with quote
I just watched some fansubs of Yakitate! Japan and I liked it. I'm still very early into it but it's given me some good impressions: what a wonderful series to come home to and unwind with. This was shown here on TV, but since I don't have paid TV subscription I never got to watch it.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
All the comments here about Crest of the Stars and Ghost Hunt are reminding me I have them in my room right now for watching/re-watching, maybe I'll pop those in later....

Tris8 wrote:
Finished season 1 & 2 of Letter Bee. It has some significant things that drag it down. I found the premise very interesting and having lots of potential, but instead of exploring this world that is always night, it chooses to focus on how the main character Lag always does his best and every 'villain' spoiler[except Lawrence] isn't really bad. Anyone who does anything wrong turns out not to be a bad guy or have bad intentions. It's all misunderstandings. The first season is very slice of life, and the second concentrates on a rebel group of the government, and introduces the idea that the rebels may not be the bad guys afterall (Lag works for the government). But spoiler[it never resolves anything. Lag and friends stop the immediate threat and the government gets to be a karma houdini. Even though they did horrible experiments on humans, apparently Lag doesn't care about that and decides to keep working for them.] I was disappointed when what I viewed to be the most interesting element was never explained or expanded, that being that spoiler[Lag is probably not human. I found that very interesting. My guess, is maybe he's a creature like the Maka who has taken on human form, but the Day of the Flicker caused him to lose his memories.] The fights, though few and far between, are usually pretty cool, especially ones involving Niche. Her hair is an awesome weapon, and they do a good job showing her battles. The Gaichuu are also cool-looking, but the tendency for them to suddenly stop attacking when our protagonist starts a "I'll do my best" speech is lame. And it doesn't help that the MC Lag cries an average of 2 times an episode. If I remember right, there were only 2 eps in the entire 50-ep series he doesn't cry in.
Overall, a very shounen series seasoned heavily with friendship and doing your best themes.

The problem here is that the manga is still on-going (and, last I checked, that "most interesting element" hasn't been fully explained yet) so the series had to come up with a lot of anime original stuff, especially at the end of the second season, which frankly just wasn't as strong as the stuff from the manga. I remember it did a better job than I was expecting but I still wish it had been able to follow the manga longer.

Let's see, trying to get through the last few episodes of the original Aquarion (I watched up to about 20 back in early March and I've been following the new series since February-ish) and the original is both darker and even weirder than Evol. I think I like Evol more since it's a bit more lighthearted and it turns out that yes, provided you look up one or two things, you can watch Evol without having seen the original.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
The problem here is that the manga is still on-going (and, last I checked, that "most interesting element" hasn't been fully explained yet) so the series had to come up with a lot of anime original stuff, especially at the end of the second season, which frankly just wasn't as strong as the stuff from the manga. I remember it did a better job than I was expecting but I still wish it had been able to follow the manga longer.
Ah. That explains quite a bit, especially the slice-of-life episodes in the first season. I really enjoyed the setting and the idea of the artificial sun, so I think I'll check out the manga in that case, thanks =)
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Currently watching Aishiteruze Baby and seems quite interesting and cute the same time. It seems to have realism and so far, it's heart warming story that I find quite interesting where the MC goes being from someone he never thought he'd be.

A heartwarming series that I'm enjoying at the moment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Watched the second disc of Big Windup! and despite warming up to sports genre through it, I then thought "but I still hate to watch sports on TV", and then this series made it dawn on me. The part of the show I like is the team building stuff, obviously when you see a game on TV, that's all been glossed over. Still, as long as other sports series do the whole team/character building thing, I can dig. But I think I only know like 4 people on the team right now and the rest of the time I go "he's on the team?ooooh, did not know that", so it's not quite like Hikaru no Go where I seemed to instantly know the name of and recognize every side character in that series, but hopefully it'll get there. I tend to count Hikago as a sports anime so I can fill something in the blank if someone asks me, and it does have some similarities.
Anyway, I liked the second disc more than the first, part of it is probably that most of the disc wasn't a single freakin' game of course.

Also, finished up the Cassandra arc of Fist of the North Star. I've just gotta make a comment about the suicide squad at the end, they seemed more useless than the one from Life of Brian (and for those of you who have never seen Life of Brian (shame on you) or just want to see that scene again because that movie is awesome or just need a reminder here you go)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 694 of 1062