• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Finally finished Michiko & Hatchin, and it's a relief to get it over with. The writing had gotten so bad that by later episodes it was a chore to watch.

D: It's a shame to hear that, dtm42! Well...since I'm watching it on TV, that takes little effort on my part so I might as well stick with it. Anime hyper

................it's not like there's anything else better on at 1:00 am. Anime hyper
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:11 am Reply with quote
^I swear every time I talk to my one friend she's like "so did you finish Michiko & Hatchin?" and I'm always like "no, I haven't even had a chance to start it!" but yeah, I'll watch it soon enough.

As for me, I watched 3 and a half episodes of Toradora. I dunno, does it get better? I'm kind of bored 3 eps in. I keep remembering at times like that that I don't really like slice of life anime. Unless they have some supernatural stuff going on. Which is why Kokoro Connect and A Certain Scientific Railgun both worked for me, they hooked me with supernatural scifi stuff first. And they didn't start in on the romance so hard right away, which Toradora has front and center. Oddly enough, I find I'm able to tolerate this stuff just fine with manga, which is why I love My Love Story, but I bet I'd be unable to watch the anime without getting bored. Like, Itazura na Kiss's anime bored the hell out of me too, but I still enjoy the manga. But it is making me debate on wether to bother continuing with Toradora since I'm kind of bored. I mean, as a teenager who never quite got or wanted to get the "falling so hard for a crush insanely and wasting a ton of time trying to get with them" thing, so I find it hard to relate to.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:46 am Reply with quote
I'm twenty-one episodes into Mysterious Cities of Gold, and I'm really enjoying it. I like the unusual setting that is otherwise little-explored in anime, the adventurous tone that invokes wonder and mystery, the themes about conquest and superstition, and the informative mini-documentaries at the end of each episode. And of course, I really like Mendoza. He's so freaking awesome, he's fast becoming one of my all-time favourite anime characters.

Oh, and did I mention the English dub? Not since Garzey's Wing have I heard a dub so awful that it becomes comedy gold. Every episode of Mysterious Cities of Gold makes me crack up at least a couple of times due to the hilarious voice acting. And yet, the line delivery is so naturally amateurish, and the VAs try so hard, that I actually find their performances to be endearing.

So yeah, this is one of those weird cases where a professional dub would make the show worse off.

Chiibi wrote:
D: It's a shame to hear that, dtm42! Well...since I'm watching it on TV, that takes little effort on my part so I might as well stick with it. Anime hyper

As I said, there's a lot to like about Michiko & Hatchin. It's got style, flair, a great setting, a memorably spunky pair of leading ladies, and pretty nice music. But damn the writing has got issues, and the show lacks cohesion. I wouldn't recommend it, as there are way better anime out there just waiting to be seen. However, since you're watching it anyway, I say as long as it isn't taken seriously it is quite tolerable.

classicalzawa wrote:
As for me, I watched 3 and a half episodes of Toradora. I dunno, does it get better? I'm kind of bored 3 eps in.

I dropped it after two painful episodes so I wouldn't know. Toradora! has a fanatical following here at ANN but I just don't understand what its supporters see in it.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:19 am Reply with quote
Toradora! is just a romcom with drama in the mix. It just does it all better than most romcoms, I guess. If those kinds of shows aren't your thing then I doubt you'll enjoy Toradora either. The first half is just lighthearted comedy mostly, while the drama and romance kick in during the second half. But if you're falling asleep 2-3 episodes in then Toradora just isn't for you.

Toradora just happens to be my favourite romance anime of all time. It was one of my first romance animes so nostalgia is a factor.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:19 am Reply with quote
Gotta admit, after seeing Golden Time, I don't think I can ever watch Toradora again without rolling my eyes. The creator clearly got better.
Night fox

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:37 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Gotta admit, after seeing Golden Time, I don't think I can ever watch Toradora again without rolling my eyes. The creator clearly got better.

Obsessive love? I don't know if I like the sound of that. I hope it's nothing like what went on in Future Diary. *shudders at the thought*
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Night fox wrote:
Obsessive love?

No no no no. No need to worry about that. Kouko's obession with Mitsuo is kind of set aside pretty early on. And Kouko is not a yandere.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Night fox wrote:
louis6578 wrote:

Obsessive love? I don't know if I like the sound of that. I hope it's nothing like what went on in Future Diary. *shudders at the thought*

Just keep watching. And know that I say that with a warm, IRL smile because I know you'll enjoy it. Give it until around episode six. I refuse to say more than that.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:49 am Reply with quote
Made it to episode 7 of Infinite Ryvius this morning and I can safely say that this anime is BORING. Like WOW they dropped the ball here.

>that pacing
>that music
>the giant cast size which really needs to be trimmed; can't even remember most of their names
>that constant pointless dribbling
>that lack of world building
>that lack of action
>that lack of focus

And then there was the transition from episodes 6 to 7, the Ryvius was being attacked by depth charges and they just forgot about it! They don't even mention how they escaped! At least it looks like there was SOME plot movement in the last episode I watched, but nothing really came out of it other than "I'm in charge now because I got the fighting moves!" They really had no penal methods for rowdy kids like that? If this series was made in America there would be plenty of pepper spray, tasers, and shots fired at this guy without hesitation and the populace would probably shame him and petition him to go to jail once the ship got home. From a realistic standpoint there would have been security measures to prevent this sort of occurrence. Lets not forget a pair of terrorists that have been tied in a closet since episode 4, has anyone given those guys water or something? Technically that is murder by starvation.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Anyway, how long do I have to riot in the streets of Tokyo until they remake Berserk. Still no confirmation on a 4th movie, which tells me that they just wasted their time to show me... 30 minutes of extra content while remaking the rest of the show.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
^
I have to ask, why would you expect a fourth movie to be announced? The project was always billed as a trilogy.

Protip: unless you are reading Douglas Adams, a trilogy comes in three parts.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:12 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
I have to ask, why would you expect a fourth movie to be announced? The project was always billed as a trilogy.

Protip: unless you are reading Douglas Adams, a trilogy comes in three parts.

They also said they intended to adapt the entire manga (I think). I expected the Golden Age Arc to be a trilogy and then they'd still keep making more movies. Sigh... I'm scared that the writer of Berserk will die before the story ends. Same with Hunter X Hunter.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:14 am Reply with quote
Currently watching The Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross because I've always been curious about the changes that were made to it for Robotech.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:59 am Reply with quote
^One of the worst anime I have ever seen, I reviewed it a few months back and it was surprisingly unpleasant.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:36 am Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
Currently watching The Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross because I've always been curious about the changes that were made to it for Robotech.

Good luck, buddy. Rumor had it that when the Japanese saw the Robotech edition, they were baffled as to how they made Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross WATCHABLE. 'Course, I don't remember if it was actually true or not. Maybe I got it confused with something else?

Anyway, after finishing the (emotionally-heartbreaking, amazingly-acted, and overall fantastic) Fate zero, I officially got started on Urobuchi's Psycho Pass. From the first episode, I knew immediately what this show was about. If Madoka is about sexism and patriarchy, Psycho Pass is about how the mentally ill are stigmatized. In a Japan run by the Sibyl System, everyone must be kept happy and sane at all times. If you do not conform to the happy, you are Bad, and if you are Bad, then you must either be cast out of society or die.

I actually really like Akane. Like, ridiculously so. She's our Madoka for this show, in that she's a bit naive and unsure of herself, and all she really wants is to find her purpose in life. Through her, we are introduced to the Sibyl System, where if your Psycho Pass runs too high, you are labeled as a criminal to be sent hunting for those who are far gone.

Also, am I the only one who noticed the juxtaposition of the cute and the grotesque? We have Akane's adorable jellyfish hologram buddy, the plush designs of the robots, and the costumes that Akane and Masaoka wear in Episode Two. Reminds me of Paranoia Agent when I think about it.

So, that's all I have for today. In conclusion:

DAAAAAWWWW. WHOSE A CUTE WIDDLE JELLYFISH PAL? YOU IS! YOU IS! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 870 of 1062