• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:06 am Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
For the meat of this post, yesterday I finished Katanagatari. Spoilers, it was horrible. Why? I am partially convinced this series was made for people that find dialogue arousing.

I wouldn't say arousing, but I definitely would add Nisio Isin's dialogue writing to be one of the draws. I can understand people not liking his style though.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
The show already has several discussion threads here if you want to talk about it, but I need to watch it again before I can discuss it seriously.
Yes, I am a fan.

Alright! Smile Perhaps you could display a link to the latest thread? I'm having a bit of trouble trying to find one, even through Search.

Quote:
What I like most about the show, about any show really, is the characters.
Mai Tokiha is my favorite and I mentioned her in the thread for strong female characters, but I also like Natsuki, Mikoto, Shizuru, Akane amd many others.

And I love the ending.

Oh yes! I adore Mai as well. Her caring nature and desire for normalcy (sometimes to a fault) has won me over after a couple episodes into the show, particularly with Mikoto nearby.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote
@ Mr. Oshawott,
Look in the ANN Series Discussion Index thread. "M" is near the bottom of the first page.

I really do not know which of those several discussion threads would be the best one to revive.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
@ Mr. Oshawott,
Look in the ANN Series Discussion Index thread. "M" is near the bottom of the first page.

I really do not know which of those several discussion threads would be the best one to revive.

Thanks for the direct. I'll try posting in one of them after I'm done resting up a bit.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
^
Thanks for the links nobahn! Smile
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Almost two years later I've gotten around to watching the last two episodes of INVADERS of the ROKUJYOMA!?

I meant to mention this in that thread about "What you stopped watching and Why?"
- the thing about "why" is maybe a bit weird. I think I just got distracted and didn't bother. It simply isn't a show that one feels you HAVE to watch. And the last episode I did watch, episode ten, actually did feature a big battle and characters coming to terms with their roles in the group- it was a decent finale. It felt like it should have finished the show. Now that I have watched these last two that feeling was reinforced. Episode 11 should have been earlier and episode twelve is basically just an epilogue.

Over all, the show was inoffensive and pleasant but so forgettable I literally forgot to watch the last episodes.

-----------------------

killjoy_the wrote:
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
For the meat of this post, yesterday I finished Katanagatari. Spoilers, it was horrible. Why? I am partially convinced this series was made for people that find dialogue arousing.

I wouldn't say arousing, but I definitely would add Nisio Isin's dialogue writing to be one of the draws. I can understand people not liking his style though.

That and the guy's works live on the ways he subverts tropes through demonstration of those same tropes. You enjoy his works more if you can find enjoyment in dissecting the subtext... or at least understand that what you're watching is not meant to be taken so straight forwardly.

I'd go further but it's been years since I watched the show. IIRC I did rate it "Excellent" and as one of my top three shows of 2010, an extremely strong year of anime for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:47 am Reply with quote
So... Outlanders was the worst OVA I ever saw in my life. We're good. Never seeing that again. Any recommendations before I move onto a long one with Fist of the North Star and Saint Seiya?
EricDent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:25 am Reply with quote
Baka & Test: Summon the Beasts: I watched season 1 & the OVA so far.
Will start on season 2 shortly.

Why? Because I recently purchased it, and I liked it when I borrowed it from the library.
I seem to own quite a few school related shows, I guess it's cause I kinda wish high school was as fun as these shows make it look.

Plus of course most of them have nice looking ladies involved.

The dub is pretty good as well, I will eventually try in Japanese (with subs) to check out the differences.

The whole avatar thing is interesting, though it didn't look fun to have to take a bunch of tests to determine your fighting power.
Especially if you "died" in the battle and "Iron Man" came to take you to a remedial class.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm halfway through watching Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu. A bit bummed that Teletha is virtually absent from the show (so far). However, the misadventures of Sousuke has more than made up for it with his military techniques being used at the worst times possible, resulting in Kaname losing her cool every time. Laughing
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Watching Is the Order a Rabbit?. Very, very cute, in fact, tremendously cute. Its even more pure CGDCT than stuff like K-On and Azumanga Daioh, being very stylized as well: the girls live in a fantasy town where everything is Cute, including the architecture. I am in the second season now, which is not that different from the first besides introducing a new character.

Finished watching Symphogear GX, which is tremendously silly. But I like silly and these days I can only consume silly stuff anyway. Serious stuff bores me nowadays. Also, I liked the costume designs although they are the same as in previous seasons of the show.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:00 am Reply with quote
^ Cute? You haven't seen peak cute.

[That's right. A little girl riding a spider tank that acts like a philosophizing machine-gun puppy.]

I watched the twelth episode of Ghost in the Shell: SAC, which was mostly a Tachikoma episode. Here, a Tachikoma helps a little girl look for a lost dog, and it is the most adorable thing ever. If anything, this episode proves that not only are Tachikomas sentient, they are also sapient. (Specifically, the Tachikoma we see outright lies to a police officer to protect Miki, the little girl they are helping.) The episode's themes seem to be about deception and wanting to escape a sad reality, and the ending was pretty depressing by all accounts. I can't wait to watch more. In five days.

Anyway, I see nobody guessed which anime I'm going to watch after Spice and Wolf II. Here's a hint; it's very controversial. Can you guess what it is?
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Akane wrote:
[That's right. A little girl riding a spider tank that acts like a philosophizing machine-gun puppy.]

Darn, if only Pitz from Captain Earth tap danced on a wire while dressed as Zoro I might have something to compete with that. Laughing

In all seriousness what does the local relativist that frequently gets hit with metaphorical chamber pots have in store for us today? Well, aside from finishing Bokurano (which you guys can view here: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3042615&start=45), this Monday I watched:

-Domain of Murder: A one shot crime mystery based OVA that was actually great with its pacing, art, music, psychological bits, and writing. It is actually under rated and would recommend it to people.

-Twin Angel: Twinkle Paradise: Because I watched the OVA I might as well watch the TV series! Only 4 eps in thus far. On one hand it doesn't have a beginning/origin story so in terms of world building and writing it has problems that are head scratching, the opening theme is bad, the comedy is kind of poor, and the pacing cannot decide if it wants to be fast or slow. On the other hand I legitimately like the ending theme, the art style does what it is supposed to, aside from Aoi's breast jiggling (annoying as it is) there is very little fanservice, the action is good, the voice work is not bad, and the main villain is actually amusing.

-Serial Experiments Lain: Also 4 eps in and this will most likely be my 1000th anime! (not counting Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans, good lord I can't decide if it deserves higher than 1/10 or not, I'm still somewhat angry) It is psychological bits, decent animation, and good scenery art...... And that's it! I really can't think of any other positives at this point and in terms of negatives all I have is slow pacing and stock music. You'd think an anime with suicide and computer based themes it would have more to it, but there really isn't. The writing is kind of all over the place, but since this is supposed to be a psychological anime with mystery aspects I am going to give it the benefit of the doubt for the time being and see if it leads anywhere. If it doesn't, well, I've seen worse. So much worse. In fact after I watch this and go on a short anime hiatus I should come back here with a link of me briefly reviewing my top 50 worst anime (not counting Yami Iron Yami Blood Yami Orphans 2CHAN PLEASE HELP-9GH9R4RHR98GR9RGRG)! I wonder if my reviews ever come up on Google, then it'll prove I made something happen. Mmmmmm, fried chicken pizza burritos. Cool
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Today I finished watching all of Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu. I had so many hard laughs on the latter six episodes. The eighth episode featuring Teletha were a real blast with Sousuke being wracked with sleep deprivation for three days and the ninth one was an awesome explosive fest, in reference to Gundam SEED. On top of that, I was amazed at Bonta-kun's sheer power despite his human-sized cute appearance. Smile
TRNielson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:32 am Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
^ Cute? You haven't seen peak cute.

I watched the twelth episode of Ghost in the Shell: SAC, which was mostly a Tachikoma episode. Here, a Tachikoma helps a little girl look for a lost dog, and it is the most adorable thing ever. If anything, this episode proves that not only are Tachikomas sentient, they are also sapient. (Specifically, the Tachikoma we see outright lies to a police officer to protect Miki, the little girl they are helping.) The episode's themes seem to be about deception and wanting to escape a sad reality, and the ending was pretty depressing by all accounts. I can't wait to watch more. In five days.

Anyway, I see nobody guessed which anime I'm going to watch after Spice and Wolf II. Here's a hint; it's very controversial. Can you guess what it is?

I'm kind of hoping (and kind of not hoping) that the Tachikoma's show up in the live action Ghost In the Shell movie. I remember watching Stand Alone Complex for the first time and thinking the Tachikoma's were one of the best parts of the entire universe. Tanks that have, basically, the personalities of little girls but still possess computer intelligence? F**king sold! Here's to hoping that if they do show up, they aren't ruined by making them either too computer-like or too over-the-top with their youthful personalities.

As far as the next show on you're going to watch: Cross Ange?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 902 of 1062