• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:23 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
I enjoyed Your Lie in April because of the spoiler[tragedy] and the classical music.

I got about four episodes in and realized what was going to happen. I dropped it at that point as I can't stand spoiler[tragedy] of that sort.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:38 pm Reply with quote

You're much more perceptive than I am! Embarassed
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I really should get around to tearing into eroge adaptions again; nothing to rate, just give gut reactions to something likely to be bad. On the other hand I am nervous about going back to Fate Slash stuff, I don't think I can handle something as awful as the first series and Zero and I have no idea what genre Illyea changed into since its second series. Anime dazed Anyway, before I run into Gate, I figured I might as well give Monster and Akame ga Kill each an episode at eps 14 and 7, respectively. The former is probably one of the worst examples of filler I have ever seen (yes, make it about irrelevant montages from inspector not-Waluigi and the tyraids of Tenma's idiotic drunk of a fiance until the last minute where she burns her mansion down). This should have been quick flashbacks in a later episode and if the topic at /a/ is any indication very little changes as far in as episode 47. Did Bleach rip this off inspiring "hey, I can be needlessly long too!"? Nice use of your length there, long anime series! /sarcasm As for the latter.... Eh, it's decent, twin ax guy being chopped in half after being introduced was disappointing, he was easily the most likeable guy in this series so far. Sad I'm also convinced not-Elvis's armor is meant to resemble Tobikage. One of the silliest lines I noticed "hey, you're dragging Night Raid's name through the mud!" Yes, the military officials defeating armed guards that know how to fight and dangerous political figures are so much worse than the merciless murderers that kill for sport for the sake of anarchy and will go as far as slaying unarmed targets. Rolling Eyes Glad I spoiled myself and that I'm aware spoiler[everyone dies at the end.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:50 pm Reply with quote
It's true what they say - one man's filler is the rest of the world's character development. Smile

You do have a talent though - I mostly hated AgK but your critique makes me want to defend it. Laughing
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:40 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I got about four episodes in and realized what was going to happen. I dropped it at that point as I can't stand spoiler[tragedy] of that sort.

If you watched all of episode four, which I consider to have one of the most rousing concluding sequences of any anime episode I have seen, then you have witnessed the best that Your Lie In April is capable of. Your time may better be spent elsewhere if the musical performances are not to your liking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:59 am Reply with quote
DuelGundam just hated on Fate/Zero. He's dead to me.

Anyway, I've been trying to find the motivation to finish Fist of the North Star. I'm so close (85 out of 109) yet I keep failing to find the motivation. It has great characters and an interesting philosophical story to tell, but my god... it's so predictable with the actual fights themselves.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:26 am Reply with quote
@Zin5ki

I just checked Crunchyroll and I find I actually watched the first seven episodes. I found the music to be great. However, once she spoiler[ended in the hospital for unspecified reasons] I figured where the show was going. I decided to hold off until I saw comments about the end. They confirmed what I suspected and I didn't go back. I just can't deal with spoiler[dying girl] anime.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I watched episode 10 of Fate/stay night and it was interesting enough to keep me watching, even thought not much happened. I guess that is why the episode title is "The Calm Interlude."

Shirou did a lot of training with Saber and Rin, at different times, and I am beginning to believe that he is not as much of a male chauvinist as I had thought that he was. But I still think that he is not very smart, which may be one reason why I thought that he was more sexist.

Nah, in that version he is a gigantic chauvinistic pig. In my mind how it should go:

Shirou: "Its Berserker quick Saber get behind me!"
Saber: "Uh, why?"
Shirou: "cause girls shouldn't fight, and because I'm the man!"
Saber: "But I'm a Knight."
Shirou: "And I'm a man."
Saber: "I have this really cool magical sword."
Shirou: "Still a man."
Saber: "I've led armies.."
Shirou: " a maaan."
Saber: "I'm a better fighter than you!"
Shirou: "Just get behind me and let this man protect the little ladyargghh!!!" (at this point Saber and Rin curb-stomp Shirou into oblivion, win the Holy Grail War and live happily ever after...with no maaann!)
Wink Laughing
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:18 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
(at this point Saber and Rin curb-stomp Shirou into oblivion, win the Holy Grail War and live happily ever after...with no maaann!)
Wink Laughing

That is a show that I would love to see. Having Rin as Saber's master would be great in so many ways. But I guess that I will have to settle for doujinshi and other fan art and fiction.

On a related note, I will probably be watching episode 11 of Fate/stay night soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I just marathoned Gate all day with only breaks to micturate and consume lunch (mmmmm, pasta and shrimp Cool ). So, lets analyze how DigiBro's "this is a bad first episode" video is demonstrably wrong!

>bad cinematography/camera
No, it was clearly going for a manga-esque look. The camera angles were all fine and not tilted for no reason. The complaint of "ice cream on the ground" was made to add to the calm and mundane atmosphere since this anime is about cultural discoveries and boundaries and how what is normal now would not be soon (the background music made that obvious).

>random times
Military people do it all the time and the main earthlings are all military personnel, it's almost as if knowing something about the military helps. Shocked I also like how that video failed to address such thing

>otaku characters are generic and that set up was bad
First, no. I can't even list 20 off the top of my head and with the exception of maybe Akito from Nadesico I haven't seen otaku characters with military. As for set up, anyone with an obsession can be called such, his was apparently mobile games and doujinshi.

>the innocent girl that will have something bad happen to her
And you were wrong!

>ugh, light novel
Irrelevant, this was not from an eroge.

>you probably don't know more about the MC
He is married, helps bridge cultural gaps, and has demonstrated throughout that he has titanic balls.

So what did I think of this series? It's better than Akira! The opening and ending themes were annoying, but the insert music is practically on par with Akira Ifukobe (the guy that did the Godzilla music from the 50s to the 90s)! The world building was well done with various interconnected parts coming together, did the language barrier problem better than Gargantia, established various types of species, showed interactions between earthlings and special region inhabitants, political conspiracy plots, military and treaty acknowledgements, and the various actions of consequences that affect the plot in both parts of the setting! (also the US president looks like Donald Trump Laughing ) Speaking of action, holy crap! It depicted the military with accuracy, competence, and at no point sacrificed realism for stupidity! In fact aside from a pair of bath scenes in eps 4 and 9 there was no redundant fan service moments! The only real critique I can give is the dialogue, specifically for two moments:

>"looks like a one headed King Ghidorah"
King Ghidorah does not have arms, come on, I'm no otaku and even I know the Garoga Seijin/23rd century super weapon is a wyvern (and the two main male leads are otaku)

>"we have child protection laws"
Rory looks in her 20s and has told the globe she's over 900 years old, you should be asking "do you have STDs?" I'm asexual and I don't care, but that was a dumb line.

To top it off nobody is useless or annoying! I am DEFINITELY going to watch the second half of this at some point! If it keeps it up it might even top Escaflowne! Cool
Gina wrote:
one man's filler is the rest of the world's character development.

One minute worth of character development did not justify wasting an entire episode.
Louis wrote:
He's dead to me.

Can I be undead? Preferably a mummy, Tomb Kings are my favorite Warhammer Fantasy faction outside of Chaos Daemons. Razz
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I have just finished episode 11 of Fate/stay night.
I think that the show is still getting better.

My opinions of the characters have not really changed, except that Saber is now almost tied with Rin for my favorite. This is mostly because Rin did not do much in this episode.

Shirou is definitely getting stronger, but I still cannot decide if he is sexist or just stupid.
If somebody calls you and says essentially "I have set a trap for you. Please walk into it without telling the people who might be able to save you" it is OK to tell him that you will be stupid enough to do that. It is not OK to actually do it.
I will admit that Shirou looked impressive and rather heroic. However, if he had just been a bit smarted earlier there would have been no need for heroism. But, I guess that it makes for a more dramatic story this way.

I may have missed, or misunderstood, something. After Saber explained to Shirou all of the stupid things that he had done it seemed to me that he said "OK, I admit that I was wrong, but I will not admit that I was wrong."

Anyhow, I am still definitely enjoying the show enough to keep watching.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:25 pm Reply with quote

Touma wrote:
but I still cannot decide if he is sexist or just stupid.

Shirou gets a lot of flack.....
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Shirou is definitely getting stronger, but I still cannot decide if he is sexist or just stupid.

Both. At least in this particular anime. I found him nearly intolerable for the first 2/3 of the show the first time I watched it, but the girls (especially Saber) and the ending make up for it. Everyone has different levels of Shirou tolerance (YMMV). He's a little more heroic and likeable (imho) in UBW, but still has some issues.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Every route he starts pretty douche-y and annoying and gets progressively better. Fate, it takes him quite a while to get there. UBW, he gets there halfway through. Heaven's Feel, before the halfway point. spoiler[He's great in Kaleid 3rei from the start, at least.]

Last edited by killjoy_the on Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Lol I have a couple figures of Saber just because I love her design....but I plan to tackle the whole FS/N franchise so I can give my proper opinion on all this. Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 914 of 1062