• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:54 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

The main point of contention that I noticed amongst those who attended Scotland Loves Anime was whether A Silent Voice could compare favourably to Your Name. The latter won the jury's prize, but some complain that this was due to it being more accessible. What say you on the matter? I take more than a slight interest in both.

They're both very good. A Silent Voice is definitely a harder subject to tackle and was a harder watch as a result spoiler[a meteor strike is less relatable and people don't have experience of it]. I would say Your Name is more accessible to non anime fans as the visual style is more familiar to a Western audience. It's more beautiful looking as well, A Silent Voice is very much natural colours, nothing very flashy apart from a bit at the end when spoiler[Shoya is in a coma] spoiler[the crosses over people's faces in A Silent Voice spring out as a very anime style thing to do (they were in the manga too)]. I can see why Your Name won the prize but A Silent Voice would have been an equally worthy winner IMO. I enjoyed them both for very different reasons.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Two episodes left of Lodoss Wars. Can't wait to be done so I can move on. What should I watch to reinvigorate my love for anime? Something universally loved and guaranteed to be good...? A GHIBLI FILM! Of course! How about Only Yesterday? Never saw that before. Anyone seen it? Is it good?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I quite like Only Yesterday but it's a tough one to try and gauge how somebody else might feel about it. I can imagine a person loving it and I can imagine a person being turned off by it. By the way, were you watching Lodoss War the OVA, or Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight? I've seen the latter and it was pretty meh.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:57 am Reply with quote
^

OVA. I think if it were one of my first anime, I'd like it a lot more. Unlike Gundam though, it didn't have any legendary or interesting ideas aside from shaping the genre. Gundam had Char Aznable, plus the actual politics were interesting if you were into that sort of thing. Lodoss War... had fantasy genre cliches.

Also, I just finished Kekko Kamen. It was a moderately funny ecchi anime that was incredibly refreshing after that boring sit of Lodoss War.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I quite like Only Yesterday but it's a tough one to try and gauge how somebody else might feel about it. I can imagine a person loving it and I can imagine a person being turned off by it.

On a whim, I can imagine that an interrogative procedure is readily possible for gauging whether someone will enjoy Only Yesterday. Consider the following steps:

1. Firstly, query the person in question for the slowest-paced anime they have ever enjoyed, and thereafter ask if they would care to watch something that requires at least as much endurance.
  2. If they answer this in the affirmative, enquire into whether a bucolic setting and an assorted soundtrack of European folk music are features they welcome in cinematic works.
  3. Should this not be denied, proceed to ensure they have no qualms with meandering narratives that only cohere after significant reflection on the viewer's part. (At this stage it may be worth mentioning the emotional reward inherent in the task.)
  4. Finally, check what their views are on the practice of drawing smile-lines on characters. People can object to anything in this day and age...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Zin5ki, you've done an AWESOME job of selling peeps on checking this out! Wink Yes, your questions are all fair ones. I suppose I should mention that the film is visually beautiful when in said bucolic setting, but I assume if people know this is a Ghibli film they probably simply take that for granted.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:04 am Reply with quote
Got further in my rewatch of YYH. Me and my friend are nearing the end, and I have to say, the dub is as amazing as I remember (Jorge the Blue Ogre deserves more love), the animation is rarely bad, the music is always great, the plot is surprisingly deep and mature for a shounen, and the characters (especially in the English Dub) are all amazingly fleshed out. I forgot how moving Sensui's final monologue was as he neared the end at the end of the arc, explaining his motivation. Legendary stuff. I pity the guys who avoid it because it's a shounen anime.

I also just watched the first 2 episodes of Tenchi in Tokyo. I was immediately disappointed by the fact that the English Dub didn't dub the OP and ED this time around (I'm spoiled by them), but the comedy ranged from cringy to passable. Also, I never remembered the girls being QUITE this bad about their clingyness for Tenchi. Particularly Ayeka and Ryoko. I just don't see them going to these lengths to sabotage his love life. If it gets better, tell me. For now, I think I'll put it on hiatus.

Also, checked out the dub for 91 Days. I love you Funimation. Thank you for giving them accents!
Spawn29

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:32 am Reply with quote
Demon Prince Enma - I just finish watching this anime just in time for Halloween. While I never read the Dororon Enma-kun manga or seen the other Enma-Kun anime (There was the newer anime from a few years ago), I do love stuff from Go Nagai. I thought this anime was great from start to finish.

I love the characters and the writing. Every episode had me on the edge on my seat and not a single episode was boring. I love all the personalities that the characters have. The Kapa was probably my favorite character in the show for being so funny.

The plot may seem simple with the idea of group of people exterminating demons to keep the town at peace, but there is way more to the anime when you really watch it without spoiling much. The animation was great expect for the CG. The CG looks like it was made in 1997 and this anime came out in 2006. I also hate how this anime is only four episodes when I feel like that this anime should be a 26 TV episode series. I also admit that episode 3 could have been better since it did felt a bit rush.

Overall, I highly recommended this anime for Horror anime fans, Go Nagai fans or anyone that likes stuff with people exterminating monsters. Grade: B+

Appleseed (2004) - I haven't seen this anime since I was in High School like 10 years ago. I had to watch it for a homework project for my 3D Modeling & Animation class. The 2004 Appleseed movie is pretty good, but I felt like it could have been better. The 3D animation is solid for a movie from 12 years ago and I remember how this movie was a pretty big deal back then. I like Deunan Knute and she is a great main character, but I felt like her development with Braireos was pretty weak. We could have been given more details about their lives and backgrounds.

I also feel like the supporting cast was pretty weak too and I didn't think the villains are that great. The plot twist was poorly done and the ending was pretty much sucked. However the fight sequences are great and the soundtrack kicks ass. Overall, Appleseed 2004 is a pretty good movie but could have been so much better. I hope the other two movies are better and I will probably re-watch the 1988 OVA film to compare the two later. Grade: B-
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

I also just watched the first 2 episodes of Tenchi in Tokyo. I was immediately disappointed by the fact that the English Dub didn't dub the OP and ED this time around (I'm spoiled by them), but the comedy ranged from cringy to passable. Also, I never remembered the girls being QUITE this bad about their clingyness for Tenchi. Particularly Ayeka and Ryoko. I just don't see them going to these lengths to sabotage his love life. If it gets better, tell me. For now, I think I'll put it on hiatus.

Does it get better?

NO.

Consider nearly every Tenchi character you know and love, raped. Absolute flanderization. Mihoshi and Sasami don't change that much....but their roles don't matter than much anyway.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:49 pm Reply with quote
^

I've been noticing a lot of that. Thanks for the warning. I'll stick to the ones I already love.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Tonight I finally finished watching Higurashi: When They Cry. It was quite scare...but a good scare. Every starring character had their unique stories of horror that ended in tragedy. The last episode was particularly a frightening, yet thrilling watch.

Here's hoping everyone here had a Happy Halloween. Cool
Spawn29

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade - I haven't watch this anime in the last 12 years and this movie is fantastic. The animation is amazing for a movie that came out in 1999. Everything looked solid from start to finish. What I love about this movie was the powerful story that this movie had. The story, themes and execution in the movie are stuff that I feel like can really work with today's audience with riots, terrorism, and military brutality seeing that this anime deals with similar themes that is going on in today's world in real life.

This anime is filled with great characters and drama that it really had me on the edge of my seat. Seeing the scene of the frightened young girl only to see her commit suicide was a very powerful and dark scene. This anime did had slow pacing, but the movie gets so much better later on.

Overall, this movie was amazing. It's a shame that this movie is not rated very high on Rotten Tomatoes. This movie may not be for everyone because it's a very dark, gritty and realistic type of film. I feel like every anime should give this film to watch when they are in the right mood. Grade: A+

Last edited by Spawn29 on Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:31 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Tonight I finally finished watching Higurashi: When They Cry. It was quite scare...but a good scare. Every starring character had their unique stories of horror that ended in tragedy. The last episode was particularly a frightening, yet thrilling watch.

I found it effective as a scary anime, but as far as my tolerance for it went, it was kind of annoying. I mean, the timeloop plot can only work for me if the character who knows about the loop is the main focus. Instead, everything gets re-explained to us instead of skimming over those unimportant parts each time. It's kind of tumor-inducing for me, personally speaking.

I still loved the last arc of the first season though. Maybe because it's one of the only arcs where someone gets their memories from a previous loop?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:14 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

Higurashi was hands down the most TERRIFYING anime I've ever attempted to watch. Anime hyper

I only made it to episode 03 before I called it quits. :/ I'm such a wuss. lol
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:29 am Reply with quote
Aw, you should have hung in, Chiibi. After episode 3, it's all rainbows and people cudding cute little bunny rabbits. Honest. Heh-heh-heh...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 931 of 1062