• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Progress Report:

Expect the recap of Code Geass Episode Three tomorrow (I get to discuss Nunnally "the load" Lamperouge). In addition, before AoT Season Two airs on Toonami, I plan to rewatch the entirety of Season One on Netflix.

Also, I hope Anohana hits Netflix. Not only does it have the ADR Director of Your Lie in April, XANTHE HUYNH IS PLAYING THE LEAD HEROINE. Very Happy
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Um... Akane... Have you not seen Anohana yet?
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:17 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Um... Akane... Have you not seen Anohana yet?

NOPE. I was waiting out for an English dub (I only watch subs if the dub that's there is THAT bad). My patience has finally paid off. Particularly the casting of Xanthe Huynh, one of the most underrated voice actresses in the industry. My hope is that her as Menma will lead to her getting more lead roles. As much as I didn't care for the character, I loved her as Sachi in SAO.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Just finished watching Your Name. My MAJOR complaint isn't even the movie itself. The place where I watched the movie, a Lowes Theater near the Cherry Hill Mall, said "Now Playing: Your Name (English Dub)." When I showed them my ticket for such a movie, and they sat me down in their theater, it was quite clearly Japanese with English Subtitles. I know what a D looks like and I double-checked when I left the theater. If I wasn't watching this with my brother, I probably would have gone to the manager of the place to state my complaint, but oh well. Bottom line, did I enjoy the movie?

I rated it Masterpiece and I think it just usurped Wolf Children and Tokyo Godfathers for my favorite anime film of all time. Quite frankly, I even liked the film's bittersweet ending. The entire movie was great. Hell, they even did two things that I worried wouldn't be done.

1. When the two protagonists switched bodies, they didn't also swap voices. This means that the seiyuu had to play each others' characters when body swaps occurred. Quite frankly, hearing the girl talk like a moeblob in the guy's body was adorable, and seeing the guy become a Haruhi Suzumiya-esque tomboy who acted cool and ended up getting even other girls to fall for him when in the girl's body was... amusing.

2. They managed to make the cliche "Guy swaps bodies with girl and the first thing he does is grope his own breast" thing FUNNY. Like... every time! I actually laughed aloud during a certain emotional moment when they body swap and the guy gropes himself with tears in his eyes (you know which one if you saw the movie).

Only issue? The characters are bland enough that you could really just describe them as the guy and girl, but that's okay. Most romance films are allegorical if they're not multi-part franchises. I'm cool with characters being less dynamic than they could be, and they're incredibly likable. By bland, I don't mean boring and lifeless. I just mean they're good people, heroes that you can look even, but nothing that you can't find in other films. Summer Wars had a similar "problem." But of course, it barely bothered me.

I recommend this to everyone. 10 out of a possible 5.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:14 am Reply with quote
Wait, you're from NJ, louis6578?
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:38 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Wait, you're from NJ, louis6578?

Yes. Though I doubt that contributes to much. I don't even know if any anime stores close to me.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:15 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Just finished watching Your Name. My MAJOR complaint isn't even the movie itself. The place where I watched the movie, a Lowes Theater near the Cherry Hill Mall, said "Now Playing: Your Name (English Dub)." When I showed them my ticket for such a movie, and they sat me down in their theater, it was quite clearly Japanese with English Subtitles. I know what a D looks like and I double-checked when I left the theater.

I heard stories of similar things happening during local screenings last year. Suffice to say, they were enough to deter me from seeing this film in cinemas—it seems that the ready existence of an English dub spurred certain theatres to opt for it in spite of previous arrangements. Do world cinema fans often face this problem, I wonder?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:47 am Reply with quote
@louis6578

Cherry Hill Mall, now that brings back memories. About the time my family moved out of New Jersey they were talking about building a mall there.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Progress Report:

Okay, so this is more like a to-do list.

* Complete Jojo's Season One (four more episodes to go)
* Rewatch Attack on Titan on Netflix before starting Season Two
* Finish writing the recap of Code Geass Episode Three this week

Sorry guys. I've been super busy recently, since we're having Passover at our house. Hopefully, things will be far less busy after tomorrow. Real life is tough, and I'm sincerely trying to get as many posts out as possible.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Progress Report:

Okay, so this is more like a to-do list.

* Complete Jojo's Season One (four more episodes to go)
* Rewatch Attack on Titan on Netflix before starting Season Two
* Finish writing the recap of Code Geass Episode Three this week

Sorry guys. I've been super busy recently, since we're having Passover at our house. Hopefully, things will be far less busy after tomorrow. Real life is tough, and I'm sincerely trying to get as many posts out as possible.

Yep. Jewish Thanksgiving is pretty nice when you get around the Seder you need to have. I do mine in 30 minutes rather than having a whole thing.

Also, Chiibi is threatening our friendship by refusing to watch JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Its pretty hard on me. Sad
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Progress Report:

Finished Jojo's Season One. I am STOKED for Stardust Crusaders now~! Highlights of Battle Tendency...

* Lisa Lisa is a bad*ss
* Joseph Joestar is awesome and I love him so much
* Did I mention Ben Diskin is a great Joseph?
* Caesar Zepelli's episode. Just...perfect.
* Nazi Cyborg vs. Mexican Vampires

Meanwhile, I'm going to have to rewatch AoT's first season elsewhere because Netflix doesn't have the English dub, and Funimation won't let me watch the dub unless I upgrade my subscription. Joy.

EDIT: The good news is, the dub is available on ITunes. The bad news is, it's more expensive than the sub. See the complete sub version is available for thirty-something dollars, and each episode individually costs two dollars. The dub is split into two packages, each individual episode costing three dollars. It's going to be more costly to buy the episodes one at a time, so I'm going to have to shell out over fifty dollars from my parent's pockets if I want to watch this show. Yay.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Just buy the disks. Rightstuf has Season 1 BD on sale now for under $40.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Just buy the disks. Rightstuf has Season 1 BD on sale now for under $40.

We don't have DVD players at our house.

I talked with my dad about it, and I'm thinking about getting the Funimation Annual Plan so I can stream their anime. Score!
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Today I finished watching Beyond the Boundary. It was a nice show with its intense encounters of Yōmu and Mirai's awesome swordfighting. However, the seriousness surrounding Mirai and Akihito sometimes made them a bit hard to remain interested in them...
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Progress Report:

I was hoping to get my recap of Code Geass Episode Three done today. I probably won't, so just in case, have a brief preview of the recap. It's about my main problem with Nunnally Lamperouge:

I wrote:
I'm going to be completely honest with you. I don't particularly care for Nunnally. At all. Forstadt's performance does NOT help much, since she's trying way too hard to sound like a little girl (Nunnally is about fourteen). But even then, it's partially not her fault. The character is so generically nice and cute and utterly inoffensive that it's hard to get me to give a sh*t about her.[...]there is no role for Nunnally to play in the story that cannot be filled by Shirley or Sayoko or even Marianne. Nunnally, to put it bluntly, is POINTLESS. When I look at her, I do not see a character. I see a marketing tool calculated to squeeze as much money from moe-loving otaku as humanly possible.

In addition, I'm hoping to get the Funimation Annual Plan with the help of my dad. I'll be saving over ten dollars a year than if I got a regular premium. Score! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 975 of 1062