• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:37 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Kanokon - *snip*

*shudders* oooo, yeah, Kanokon was awful! I watched about 3 episodes, while drunk mind you, and I still had to get away from it! Mad

Puella Madoko Magica 2 episodes
I'm having a similar reaction to this one that much of the ANN staff had. It's really pretty, I mean, it's gorgeous! However, everytime it goes back to the girls' lives I immediately stop giving a shit. I feel like I've seen this exact character setup before somewhere. I don't know if I'll continue with this one, we'll see.

High School of the Dead finished
I decided to swallow my pride and biases and give this one a fair shot. Wouldn't ya know, I actually enjoyed it I think solely for the characters. Well, minus Tits McNurse anyway, I really didn't like her. But oh, I still had problems with this show. For starters, and this is linked to zombie stories in general, I don't get why the zombie outbreak has to happen all over the world all at the same time. I mean, in ep 2, still the first day of the outbreak, their news states that it's also happening in America, China, Europe, etc. How? Why? But I guess that's just the genre. Also, this show started to confuse me in "does it want to excite/scare me, or get me to jerk-off?" Everyone here should already know I'm in no way adverse to ecchi, but it felt intrusive in this title. What I liked: it wasn't a "board up the house and hold-out!" story; they were constantly on the move which made it more interesting, leagues more interesting. They were also doing exactly what I would be screaming at characters from other zombie stories for not doing. Example: spoiler[Saeko and Nurse walking fast and only striking down the zombies that get too close, not expending unnecessary energy,] and Saya figuring out ways to get past them without constantly fighting them. So yeah, I'll likely watch more if more is ever made (I'm sure it will).

We Without Wings 3 eps
Aside from it being grossly misogynist, it really makes no sense. I have absolutely no idea what this show is trying to do, or where it's going at all. I... I can't even really describe it since it jumps around so much and leaves certain "plot" points behind and forgets about them (spoiler[wasn't there mention of one of the dudes being a prince of another dimension or something in the 1st episode?]). Whatever, it sucks, the end.

Astorotte's Toy 1 ep
No.

Aria the Scarlet Ammo 3 eps
As much of a sucker for girls with guns shows that I am, I admit to having a Pavlovian expectation to the thought of "school that trains student mercenaries and girl who duel-wields guns and swords, awesome!" *sigh* you know, some people claim that dubs ruin anime, but I'm starting to think that Rie Kugumiya ruins anime. The exact moment Aria made her personality known, every bit of enjoyment I could have had was sapped away. Admittingly, the 3rd episode was alright even if it was flat out lifted from Speed, but the next ep or two is the last chance I'm willing to give it.

Battle Girls 5 eps
Okay, 5 episodes in... only one semi-decent fight scene, and no yuri-action at all?!?! No. I'm not waiting any longer, they're wasting my time.

A Bridge to the Starry Sky 2 eps
Wow. You know, when the 1st ep of Amagami SS aired I remember watching it and thinking "wow, you can not get anymore by-the-numbers than this!" and lo and behold, this show has proven me wrong! SHEESH! I think from now on I'm only going to watch VN adaptations that go the way of Yosuga no Sora since that one was at least entertaining in how ridiculous it was.

Deadman Wonderland 3 eps
I like it, though it had a rocky start. The ludicrous way in which Ganta was set up and convicted had me on the fence. Then came Shiro, who although I like, I couldn't help but think why does she seem to have free-roaming privileges of the prison? These things just came off as careless writing. Fortunately, the 3rd ep at least hinted at "there's more to it" enough to ease my mind for the time being. EX: Shiro spoiler[apparently having an "unknown" Prisoner ID number.] Next ep looks like we're going to learn a bit more about that weird power.

Blue Exorcist 3 eps
I'm enjoying it. Demons, son of Satan, possible hilarious interpretations of Western religion. I like how they're not overwhelming us with characters; just a couple at a time. I wonder if this will be a longer running series? I doubt it, but I'll keep with it regardless.

Hanasaka Iroha 5 eps
As much as I loved the 1st two eps, it has fallen from the top-tier of the season. Intrusive fanservice, and a cliched, completely predictable "love-scare" plot in eps 4-5. It's still pretty though, and far from bad, so I may still be able to enjoy it.

C 3 eps
Interesting, to the say the least. The concept is really cool, and the art style gives it a fittingly dark atmosphere. However, I will say that I'm finding it a bit hard to care about the characters so far. But I can still enjoy it for its pretty awesome flare.

My Ordinary Life 5 eps
This was the surprise for me this season. Hilarious! It's a lagh-a-minute! The characters play off of eachother well, and the jokes and gags are handled very nicely. I especially like poor robot girl who has spoiler[upgrades done to her for her creator to stash her rollcakes and sweetbuns.]

Tiger and Bunny 5 eps
Possibly my favorite of the season. Many people are complaining about the episodic nature of it, but I think that's part of what makes it good. It's about the day-to-day lives of these super-hero guys, why wouldn't it be episodic? The whole TrueTV setup is awesome and I really hope this might lead into some conspiracy type plots; like some crimes being setup by networks in order to boost ratings or corporate sabotage or the likes. Whatever the case, I look forward to seeing how this one turns out.

EDIT: almost forgot

Sket Dance 5 eps
I give this one a pass for two simple reasons: 1) it's entertaining enough, and 2) it's completely harmless. I wouldn't feel embarrassed if someone caught me watching it, it won't turn my brain to mush or churn my stomach, and it won't anger me. I don't have to feel guilty about this pleasure. It's just silly fun with likable quirky characters doing quirky things and smashing delinquents. Fun stuff.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Just dropped Hidan no Aria, rated it as Weak.

Four episodes.

I knew it would be probably be bad and that I would probably hate it, but some of my most hated Seiyuu and staffers have worked in some really good shows, and vice versa. So I was keeping an open mind going into this, because you just never know. Yes, even the plot summary in those preview charts did not dissuade me. Unfortunately, it is as bad as I had feared, with such stupid twists, gaping plot holes and bad characterisation that I could only cringe in disgust. Even with all of the tolerance I've built up over the years I still cannot stand Tsundere Loli, especially when combined with horrible and hackneyed writing.

I stuck around till the fourth episode because . . . because . . . because I have no idea why I stuck around so long. But the second half of episode four was so abysmal it shook me out of my dying stupor and made me realise that hey, this is genuine crap and I shouldn't have to put up with it. Is the grade I gave it unfair? I do realise that there are a number of shows I've watched that are far worse than this in terms of ambition. I mean, is it really that bad? Episode four exclaims yes, yes it is. And I do not believe that Anime quality can be graphed onto a bell curve.

They say that ninety percent of everything is crap. If true, then this is definitely one of them.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:46 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Surrender Artist, you have made mention of two stories whose appeal is most comparable: SaiKano and Voices of a Distant Star. May I ask if you have acquired a preference for one title over the other? It would be interesting to learn whether the savage overtness of the former title affects how well it fares, in your eyes, when put in comparison with the subdued emotional performance of the latter.

I have been meaning to answer you for a while, but I’m very bad at replying to things. I was also slightly uncertain about replying as I seldom think comparatively about entertainment and have little by way of sophisticated opinions or a knack for criticism, but I’m game for anything but eating broccoli and folk dancing, so I shall try.

I never really thought to compare the two; given the differences in their form and styles, I suppose that they resided in different realms of my mind. Voices of a Distant Star is surely the more respectable of the too; I admire its subtlety and restraint immensely. I found something quite moving in realizing the implications of time dilation for the relationship of the two leads. I also have a great appreciation for the gradual pace and quiet feeling of Voices of a Distant Star; that sort of feeling, which some understandably deem dull, is one of my favorite things; I find that it can draw me into something far more deeply than livelier, more active paces, which I can enjoy, but sometimes irritate me. Even so, I think that I favor SaiKano. It errs toward the melodramatic, but I happen to enjoy some melodrama, and at least dances near maudlin, but I happen to be a maudlin wretch. I think that because it is longer it was able to build a heavier, broader emotional mood and effect. Trying to achieve that over a full thirteen episodes is an admirable risk. It’s also so committed to its agony and despair that something that I might have thought risible instead managed to pass that boundary, then turn back as emotionally effective. A great deal of my appreciation for SaiKano is tied to Chise; I found her experience intriguing and was very struck by the weird duality that she developed.

Elsewhere, my frenzied watching continues apace.

The Humanoid: I bought this because Amazon.com offered it as a recommendation whilst I was buying far better things and it was very cheap. I remembered reading Justin Sevakis’ Buried Treasure Column about it and thought that it might be amusingly bad. It’s also only forty seven minutes long, so I wasn’t risking much in it. It wasn’t hilariously bad, being sometimes too dull for that, but was amusingly inept enough to be worth five dollars and three quarters of an hour. I don’t have a strong memory of what it was about; I think that it was mostly about coffee, but then again, unless the robot woman was in fact an anthropomorphic coffee maker, that probably isn’t right. The Humanoid wastes time on stupid things and has a very thinly developed story that makes only small amounts of sense and plays out in a dissatisfying way. The titular ‘Humanoid’ is a less important or interesting character than being in the title might lead one to expect and she even wears a baggy tan tunic through most of the affair. She appears in her… revealed? nude? form only in a flashback and in the stupid finale. Most of The Humanoid is about some dork who crashes a spaceship. And there are some villains who do something evil. I don’t know, or remember, or care.

I almost wish that I liked coffee.

The Domain of Murder: I enjoy a good detective story and notwithstanding its, shall I say, “frugal,” animation and the oddity of something that feels as though it should be part of a series being all alone in the work, this very much was one. It is another that I was drawn to by a Buried Treasure column, although in a good way this time. Goro Nanase was a likeable, engaging lead. It didn’t hurt that he was portrayed in English by Michael Sinterniklaas and I will admit to having giggled, “Detective Dean Venture!” more than once. I admired the show’s relatively realistic character designs and backgrounds, which were a nice change of pace from both the fantastical and lush realities that are oftener seen in anime. I liked the story; the person that Detective Nanase is trying to find has an interesting, very human and even sympathetic motivation, all portrayed with proper brevity. It was a quite nice way to spend slightly less than an hour. I wish that there had been a series of these.

Kite: I approached this one with apprehension; you might not have heard, but it is rather controversial. I’m pleased to say that I liked, not quite as well as some, but still very well indeed. It is a strange, quite distinctive and enthralling thing. I am not quite sure what to think of it, save that I enjoyed it. I could not help but feel that the director did not mean for it all to be taken quite seriously. The preposterous sequence that begins with a fight in a lavatory and ends with an explosion is ridiculously spectacular and even its more mundane violence is surreally excessive and cleverly staged. The violence and sexuality of it all is strange amidst the calm, almost contemplative pace and style of everything else. Although it is shorter than an hour, it proceeds patiently and seems to accept its limits rather than fight to blaze through as much as it can possibly force into its length. It’s often not entirely forthcoming or explicit about facts and motives, never driving its characters to issue direct exposition. This is especially effective in the portrayal of Sawa, who keeps an appearance of girlish cheer through much of the experience, but changes bit by bit from scene to scene in an interesting, satisfying way. That approach probably contributes very much to my appreciation of it. It cultivates a curious mood that inspires one to find or at least wonder about subtle feelings and implications that might be lurking within each scene and spoken line. That could be mere illusion, but if that’s so, it’s a satisfying one to fall for.

I liked the English language version very well. The actors are cavalier about pronouncing Japanese names, but do exceedingly well in the more relevant work of delivering their lines well. Sawa and Akai are especially well portrayed, each sounding just as I they should. Kite looks nice too; besides being well animated, the characters have interesting character designs. Sawa is drawn prettily enough to be unassuming, but still able to hold an edge when needed. Akai is designed to exude the smug sleaziness that permeates his character and Kanie looks strikingly weird with his wide, scarred and bug-eyed face that seldom betrays much expression. The secondary characters are well drawn as well in ways that complement their parts in the story. The backgrounds are often rendered in dark, moody colors and drenched in shadows. The music is quite respectably done, especially the avant garde jazz that underlies many scenes serves the ears as well as the rest serves the eyes; it provides a feeling of subdued chaos to them. Much of the affair has a satisfying air of film noir about it. There is sex in even the censored version that I watched, but it didn’t feel really momentous or unnerving, which perhaps just reflects upon some depravity lurking within me. It didn’t feel irrelevant and it does contribute to the atmosphere of the experience, but it never produced a deep emotion or other response from me, so I am left to feel as though something has been lost in taking “Kite” off of the hentai shelf. It nonetheless remains a very striking, absorbing work that bears being seen more than once and certainly stays in mind for a while after each time.

Noir: I approached watching Noir again with even more apprehension than I did watching Kite for the first time. I even remember the controversy over the first review that Anime News Network published and the consequent second review. If it wasn’t absurd to suggest, I would think that the extreme difference in the opinions of each, even though I think that both are slightly off the mark in different ways, were part of some strange Andy Kaufman gag being played on the readers.

The reasons that Kite is controversial, sex and violence, are far more serious than the reasons that Noir, dullness and vapidity, is, but Noir entails a far larger commitment in time and money. I made that commitment once eight years ago, but I would hate to needed to repudiate my younger self after having driven relentlessly through vast swathes of something that it turns out that I hate now. The nightmare of Saber Marionette lingers not yet stale in my mind.

So as it turns out, I still love it, perhaps even more than I did eight years ago. There wasn’t an episode that I didn’t enjoy, including some that I probably regarded as dubious the first time. I remember originally thinking that the series should have hurried more swiftly to “Intocabbile, Act I,” but now I find that I would hardly want to dispense with anything of the first eight episodes. To me, the series’ notoriously placid pace is a feature, not a bug. I found the unhurried way that it told its story enthralling and was drawn rather deeply into it. That style evinces a contemplative, dreamlike mood in me that I enjoy and that enhances my enjoyment of most anything. I was surprised by how interested and invested I became in the characters. This was especially true as regards Mireille, whom I saw as someone struggling with her limitations and frailties in a relationship with the very person that, however inadvertently, lays them bare. Kirika is interesting on her own terms too and during the dark turn that she takes in the last few episodes of the series, I found her outright frightening, an effect much enhanced by a slight, if not quite subtle, change in her character design. I thought that Chloe was very interesting too since she often acts as a ruthless, sometimes gleeful sociopath, but also displays surprising cheer and girlish enthusiasm, chiefly toward Kirika, whom she idolizes. Altena is a fine villainess too, who is made some measure creepier by how gradually and sparsely the series shows us to her. My appreciation for the characters was amply helped by their distinctive, attractive character designs and excellent English voices. I thought that the central English cast gave excellent performances, especially Shelley Calene-Black’s confident, even arrogant Mireille and Monica Rial’s quiet, breathy-voiced Kirika. I also offer much appreciation to the many male actors who showed up to make the pained grunts of death.

I love the music, excess repetition notwithstanding, too. The opening sequence and song, “Coppelia’s Casket” is one of my favorites of all time and probably at least half of the reason why I was interested in the series in the first place all of those years ago. I loved much of the other songs as well, especially the stirring “Canta Per Me,” and songs like the pleasant “Corsican Corridor”. Incidentally, does anybody know if the strange, “da da DA DA DA,” from near the beginning of “Intocabbile, Act I,” and a very few instances elsewhere in the series is from a song on the soundtrack or just some odd thing that they through in to strange and whimsical, but excellent effect?

Oh, I’ll concede that there were too many flashbacks, although I think that the effect of them was less bothersome when viewed once a week rather than in rapid succession, dissatisfying, bloodless action sequences, repetition of music and other flaws, but I don’t care, because I loved most everything else. I even like some of the effect of the bloodlessness of the series, which feel to me like a cool, stylish touch and the touch of unreality that they lend make the suspension of disbelief needed to accept the ludicrous slaughters that sometimes pass easier. It was absurd sometimes; I recall one episode wherein Kirika was seemingly crippled by a rip in her shirt sleeve.

I should also note that the series doesn’t really have any fan service. I would say that it offers none, or at least none of the most infamous kind, which I appreciate a lot. Salacious pandering to the prurient interests of male viewers makes it difficult for me to enjoy a series by forcing me out of it and because I find it insulting to men, to say naught of its effect to women, as though the creators regard us as nothing more than mindlessly puerile, monomaniacal perverts.

I consider the hallmark of a good series, or lest one that I like, to be that I want at its end for there to be more. That was very much true in Noir’s case, especially since the ending has a note of ambiguity that leaves it handily open to continuation. But, alas, there is naught else of it besides that and maybe someday a live-action adaptation that I probably won’t ever see, if for no other reason than not having access to the channel, or much are about. I was so enthused that I almost immediately ordered Madlax and El Cazado de la Bruja. I don’t expect them to be as good, but if they have any of the same feeling, I think that they’ll prove well worth it. Besides that, I bought almost all of it at considerable discounts, the exception being Madlax volume six, which is curiously scarce. I hope that by sucking down the whole of the Bee Train girls-with-guns oeuvre I'll establish whether I really like their work or if it's really worth describing with the word oeuvre, which is by now innately sarcastic.

I almost hate to be so effusive, but I can't seem to shake it. I suppose it's clear what side of the 'controversy' I fall upon.

This week I will watch Now and Then, Here and There again, among perhaps a few other things, both familiar and new.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Even so, I think that I favor SaiKano. It errs toward the melodramatic, but I happen to enjoy some melodrama, and at least dances near maudlin, but I happen to be a maudlin wretch. I think that because it is longer it was able to build a heavier, broader emotional mood and effect. Trying to achieve that over a full thirteen episodes is an admirable risk. It’s also so committed to its agony and despair that something that I might have thought risible instead managed to pass that boundary, then turn back as emotionally effective.

I thank you for your frank and well-expressed judgement. Whilst I hold Voices to be a more evocative piece, which is to say worthy of more acclaim on sentimental grounds, the way in which you present SaiKano's merits is certainly approachable from someone of similar sensitivity to myself. That you speak openly of your approval of the melodramatic — a preference that could be derided by some — is something to be admired.

I dare say that our tastes regarding this genre of work are similar, though it can only be conceded that your interests are drawn from a broader scope than my own.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Finally finished RAINBOW. God was it good, and the payoff more than made up for us having to sit through such graphic scenes. It more than deserves a rating of Masterpiece, making it the thirteenth title I have given that illustrious rating to.

As dark as it is, as painful as it is to watch the characters go through such incredible trials, this show is through and through an uplifting story about the power of friendship and how it can help those in need to overcome life's trials.

I found it impossible to marathon due to its heavy subject matter, which involves stuff such as pedophilia, indentured servants (i.e. sex slaves), authority figures abusing their powers in horrific ways, Hibakusha (atomic bomb survivors), racism, sexism, rape, murder, and some incredibly graphic displays of injuries and violence.

But ladies and gentlemen, take note when you watch, because this is what a genuine Masterpiece looks like. If you can survive the horrors depicted in this series - made so much more powerful than the usual supernatural fare because of the knowledge that things like this actually happened - then you will be rewarded with one of the best series in years.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Finished Darker Than Black: Ryuusei No Gemini, Aki Sora, and Eden Of The East.

I really enjoyed the second season of DTB, and Suou was a character I really like. I heard about the second season not fully answering questions and I have to agree with that, but I really really enjoyed DTB. The ending was inconclusive though, and created new questions. spoiler[Where's Chinese Electric Batman? Who's that short hair doll at the end?] The last episode of season two was somewhat of a heart rape though, mainly because I really liked Suou. My heart wasn't ready. Dunno whether I like it more than season one though but I would say I enjoy them equally.

Aki Sora was... Idk, I was laughing the whole time. Those who enjoyed Yosuga No Sora for the "special scenes" will enjoy Aki Sora, but it's just only that. There's not really anything else going on in the story beside those. No drama, just "special scenes". Still an enjoyable "WTH am I watching?" response.

Eden Of The East
, it was really nice watch, and I totally regret putting it off till now. Interesting concept and the character interactions, story, and everything else was great. Now I'll have to go buy the movies and see them, but I heard they don't match up to the TV series. The ending of Eden of The East felt somewhat incomplete though, but that's what the movies are for, right?

Lets see what else I have to watch besides this season's animes...

- Watching random bits of Negima! because of boredom browsing through Funi's Youtube channel.

I'll have to finish Aishiteruze Baby and Kurenai. If i remember correctly, I was halfway through both series.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I decided a while ago to watch A Little Norse Prince primarily because I wanted to see if I could watch a region 2 UK disc on my computer. I had some problems with VLC player at first, then I downloaded and installed the latest version and was able to watch it. This was another title that I sought out after reading Mike Toole's "Ghibli Before Ghibli" column. A lot of time and money were lavished on this film and it shows on screen; the film is also well-written and constructed. Although it is clearly meant to be a children's film (the trailer included on my copy states it's for "good children all over") there is plenty of enjoyment to be had for older viewers. The only thing that made me lower my rating slightly was the use of stills during action scenes. Given the amount of time and money spent on this film it may have been an artistic decision rather than saving money but it still bothered me a bit.

Last Monday I managed to trip and fall on my left knee; it's not broken but I got a bad sprain with lots of swelling so I've been pretty laid up which should at least give me a chance to watch more stuff. Unfortunately it's also been kind of depressing so I ended up rewatching some stuff. I started out to just watch a couple of favorite Lucky Star episodes and wound up watching all but the first 4, followed by rewatching the first 14 episodes of Doki Doki School Hours.

I finally got myself out of rewatch mode to watch something "new". I decided to watch another movie, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Why? Partly because it's been in my collection for over 2 years (I got the "special edition" DVD in the Best Buy selloff in March 2009); also because I wanted to watch this before watching Summer Wars. I actually took it off the shelf a couple of months ago meaning to watch it but something came up. While I don't think as highly of it as a lot of people I did rate it as "very good". Mainly, I just though it went off the rails a bit at the end. I'm not a big fan of multiple endings, and there were some things that didn't make much sense (spoiler[as in when Chiaki tells Makoto he'll be waiting for her in the future; since he comes from a time when time travelling is commonplace it would seem he came from a distant time, meaning Makoto will have a long wait]). It comes off as being somewhat emotionally manipulative on the part of the filmmaker.

I then decided I need to get back to watching series since I had a total of 122 series on DVD/BD totally unwatched. I decided to watch L/R: Licensed by Royalty. Why? Because it's been almost 3 years since I bought it (I had seen the first episode at a friend's house) and it's short. Not only did it break my streak of movies but also broke my streak of very good (or better) anime. The show isn't horrible; it has nice character designs, good animation, great music and a likeable pair of leads. Unfortunately it also has plot holes one could drive a giant robot through, one of the most totally predictable climaxes I have ever seen and a really lame and unnecessary tacked-on "ending" spoiler[wherein we a re supposed to believe that the most idiotic of the villians not only escapes capture but is able to take out Rowe and (maybe) Jack-or does he? Who knows? Who cares?] It's just another example of the creators trying so hard to show us how cool they are and failing. Still, I rated the show as "good" because if you turn your brain off it is pretty entertaining.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:52 am Reply with quote
Having just finished Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket, I think I've finally narrowed down what I'm looking for in a war story and that is grey and gray morality. Yes, Legend of the Galactic Heroes which I've already seen totally does this too, 0080 just does it on a much smaller scale. Because for me, when there's black and white, it makes it much harder for me to feel bad for either side when it's all too clear cut. Grey and gray are more ambiguous, which makes me want to identify equally with characters on both sides and makes sad moments sadder for me (and the 0080 did indeed make my lips quiver).

So, 0080 follows a Zeon (did I spell that right?) soldier. I can use wikipedia, which informs me that Zeon are traditionally the bad guys of the Gundam universe and I most certainly appreciate that it doesn't portray everyone who is on their side as being morally bankrupt jerks. Now, Robotech/Macross certainly showed us plenty of the Zentraedi, but the difference here is that the Zentraedi are a race who know only war and they are learning that the micronians do more than just war, so that's almost more of a culture shock experience then seeing the daily lives of the Zentraedi (since they don't exactly have daily lives by our definitions).

So grey and gray series are really the ones that get me to thinking more, if everything is clear cut, it's rather hard to find as much to think about, so I quite enjoyed 0080 from beginning to end. I also must applaud them for making Alfred actually be a kid without being annoying or a miniature adult.

After seeing Wing, I was quite ready to more or less avoid all Gundams, but are more Gundams like 0080 or like Wing? If they're more like 0080, I'll go back and check them out, if they're more like Wing, then I'll just view 0080 as the excellent black sheep of the Gundam family. And I don't just mean in terms of animation and character designs, I can already see 0080 looks more similar to older ones than Wing does. 8 out of 10 for me! The ending boosted my score a bit too.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:08 pm Reply with quote
This evening, I finally set up my laptop to my new TV and all works splendidly well. The HDMI connection was the last thing I needed to test and it's nice to see the connectivity was as simple as "snap".

With that, I registered an account with Crunchyroll and began 3 different series. I'll put off the other two for now, but I wanted to really discuss Panty & Stocking w/Garterbelt.

Sign me up as a fan. I already knew last season I would love this series because the art alone screamed "LOOK AT ME! I'M F*CKING DIFFERENT, B*TCHES!" and it sure didn't disappoint.

I'll be owning this one on DVD when it comes out.

Now about those other two series, which I won't mention by name just yet, but I have to say: I'm really getting tired of the damned pantsu shots which adds nothing to the story.

Don't get me wrong. As a male, I do enjoy them, but when they're so blatantly wasteful, it actually ruins the show, not enhances it.

The first: Astorotte's Toy. Forgive the spelling, as I only made it halfway through the first episode. I'll watch it, but I just wasn't in the mood to watch them.

The second: Something something starry something. I did watch the first episode and this one actually has promise, but were the shots needed? NO! This could have done far better without them than with. I mean, Clannad did great without them (though I don't see an anime like that getting made ever again).

I suppose it's just one of those things I have to bite the bullet in order to enjoy a few things (you know, like my saucer-eyed beauties), but too much of anything is bad for you.

Yes, even my beauties.

At any rate, I'll be limiting my viewing of anime to about 2 hours a night for a while. I'm starting to walk around my neighborhood and this is a bit more fun than looking at striped panties.

Chow... mein.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:14 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Kanokon - *snip*

*shudders* oooo, yeah, Kanokon was awful! I watched about 3 episodes, while drunk mind you, and I still had to get away from it! Mad
WTH? Kanokon is great. After watching the first 3 episodes on Crunchyroll I preordered the DVD collection soon afterwards. I'd rate it as excellent and is probably one of the best U.S. DVD releases this year so far. I'm even rewatching it from the first episode.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:26 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
WTH? Kanokon is great...probably one of the best U.S. DVD releases this year so far.
Lolwut? Blatant lies and slander. This year has had a shitload of great releases so far, and Kanokon isn't one of them. Laughing

the Rancorous wrote:
*shudders* oooo, yeah, Kanokon was awful!
These are the true facts. Twisted Evil
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:19 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
The first: Astorotte's Toy. Forgive the spelling, as I only made it halfway through the first episode. I'll watch it, but I just wasn't in the mood to watch [panty shots].

So... going into this show, did you not know it was about a succubus? Did you expect there wouldn't be fanservice in a show about a sex demon? Granted, there is far less fanservice than one might expect given the premise, but still.
ClownFREAK

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:08 pm Reply with quote
hated the WING series? that was my fav 1(although i haven't seen 0080). And as for me im busy watchin alot (dont usually like to just watch the same show for too long) but my 2 most hopful new releases would have to bTiger and Bunny i just love the concept of a superhero reality contest, but the fact that most of the heroes are losers or just plain dorks (talkin bout u sky watever and the samuraish 1) is kinda annoying. alsoSteins gate only saw the 1st ep. but it seems trippy and i LUV crazy people lol
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:00 am Reply with quote
Taking a chance, I decided to subscribe to CR for their two-week trial to see if it was better than the standard fare. Access to the 720p was nice, but really not sure if this is worth the $7/mo. We'll see. I've 13 days remaining.

One of the first I came across at 720 was Squid Girl and I have to say: I haven't laughed at an episode this hard since Ramen Fighter Miki.

The ink on spaghetti segment was a side-splitter for me and it has to be seen to be enjoyed. Some may find it a little vulgar (she vomits on the plates of spaghetti), but how it was delivered was classic comedy.

Hooked, I'm now up to episode 7, though it seems the first episode was the series' best in comedy delivery. It's not been a bad show by any means, but the tired cliche of "I'm taking over the world, so bow to me." has been done too many times recently (Sgt. Frog being the latest I've seen).

I couldn't help but think of Elfen Lied with this series as Squid Girl's tentacles came off a bit too much like the vectors of Lucy.

It's a cute show and I'll be finishing it up this evening.

I had a half hour to kill before I went to bed and I wanted to see another series start in this time, so I watched episode one of Kiddy Girl -and and...

...hmm. I'm not really sure what to think of this especially since I know I've seen this episode before. It obviously left an impressionable mark on me as I had forgotten I've seen it. I'll try a couple more episodes, but I'll be dropping it on episode 4 if the idiocy of the first episode continues.

By the way: A little help from you CR veterans. Last night, I tried checking to see if these series had expiration dates, but couldn't find any. Are they available, and if so, can you let me know? Perhaps I'm not looking in the right place.

Well, that's it for now. See you tomorrow. Smile
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote
When I got into anime I didn't want to rush right though the entire decades long output of certain directors like Miyazaki so I've been working through it slowly over the years. Last night I decided to tackle Castle in the Sky. I was generally quite pleased.

Gorgeous visual design. There's a great amount of detail and just a nice look overall to all the various architecture. I'm not sure if the term steampunk is appropriate here or not. Suffice to say though that I really like it. It's got a nice, very gritty, industrial look to it rather than the much more flashy, extravagant style you see a lot in that kind of thing these days. I feel like this more down to earth look actually adds to the grandiosity of it all though. Quite nice animation if perhaps not overall outstanding. Certain sequences are outstanding while others are average. I'd call it below average by Ghibli standards. I suppose that's not surprising given that this was an earlier work. Excellent sound also. A wonderful, sweeping musical score. An excellent dub as well, even by the high standards of these Disney dubs. (Mark Hamill more or less does his Joker voice for Muska). There are some problems and holes in the plot. It's not exactly something I'd recommend for the story. The characters are solid though. Sheeta and Pazu are passable if a bit bland. They could have used a bit more space to develop their relationship initially but they do rectify this by giving them plenty of attention later on. Muska is an effective villain and the pirates are fun. The movie is generally well paced even if the ending drags a bit. So overall, quite a fun movie. Nothing ground breaking but a rather entertaining adventure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 586 of 1062