• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:29 am Reply with quote
10 more episodes and I am going to finish with Monster.
I think I will give it an excellent rating- apart from FMA and FMA Brotherhood this is the longest series I have seen and will most likely ever see, and I have not lost interest in it even for a while. Everything is coming together perfectly, I am impressed at how the show manages to come back to elements and characters from very early in the story and make use of them.

I am still struggling with Gunslinger Girl. I can't quite put my finger on what I am not liking in the seriesI just can't get into it. I feel indifferent about the characters, I don't care about the plot so much. It is not a bad series, but perhaps the girls emotional detachment influenced my own when it comes to the series.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:02 am Reply with quote
Watching Trigun right now and I'm just about to hit the halfway point but for some reason the show just isn't interesting me as much as it did at the very beginning. I don't know why, when I caught the first few episodes I enjoyed it quite a bit, maybe it was because I had to take a break since I didn't realize the rest were on Netflix (and then later Hulu since they're not on Netflix anymore)? I even saw the movie recently and enjoyed that pretty well but I just can't seem to really get into this series, going to keep watching it but I'm still really puzzled.
Maken Buster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:23 pm Reply with quote
After taking a long break from anime, a friend introduced me to Durarara!! and Angel Beats!. I got to see the first few episodes and OVAs for each.

I'm gonna have to tackle Durarara first, as it has me intrigued about the overall plot.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Well, I finished all three seasons of Hell Girl last night. Yup. Now I need to watch something goofy or actiony now to counterbalance the sheer despair radiating off me as I type. Maybe something with robots and explosions!
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Well earlier today I finished up whats avalible so far of Nozomi's re-release of Revolutionary Girl Utena. Gotta say, really love the show, the art, the symbolism, the music...all gives it such an epic feel...even when nothing epic is happening, lol. Can't wait for the third box-set to come out.

And now that I'm done with Utna..prbly rewatch Trigun or Black Lagoon, just to bid my time until I can decide what to buy next...thinking either Night Raid or Spice & Wolf.
braskez

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:15 am Reply with quote
I'm watching "Ah! my goddess" right now.

Mainly because I felt like I was behind. It seemed to me that everyone had watched it and I wanted to catch up.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Well, I decided to try out this whole Hulu thing on my PS3, and since tons of anime is available on there, I decided to see how things looked on there. And I decided to go with a robot show I've been meaning to look at, Gaiking: Legend of Daikyu Maryu simply because its been on a couple of SRW games and I have no idea of any plot, so I've already charged through the first five eps.

Aside from the fact that the subs are WAY too close to the bottom of the screen, and they are using the somewhat crappier TV version instead of the DVD release (DVD version is supposed to be cleaner, but if this is the best then ehhhhh...) but it has giant robots and four evil generals! Powered by FIGHTING SPIRIT! What's not to love?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:55 pm Reply with quote
braskez wrote:
I'm watching "Ah! my goddess" right now.

Mainly because I felt like I was behind. It seemed to me that everyone had watched it and I wanted to catch up.

A fine choice heh. And there's no need for a reason to watch Oh My Goddess other than it's fun and should be watched by all anime fanns everywhere. Laughing

As for me my gf and I have a few shows we're watching at the moment. We've started watching High School of the Dead and Tiger & Bunny. Tiger and Bunny is just a great show that's fun to watch and actually has a really good story and character development pushing the show. Very refreshing. As for HOTD......I can only shake my head. Every time I get into it and the gore & zombies there's more out of place panty shows and giggling tits to make the flow awkward. Don't get me wrong I love my T&A. I just hate it when shows can't decide what to be. Half the time HOTD is serious and dark and all about the zombie apocalypse etc. But the other half it's jiggling tits (with jiggling noises), panty shots, steam cover ups, and just pushed in your face sexual innuendos. Reminds me a lot of Ikki Tousen the anime. It can't decide if it wants to be serious or about the T&A. We're still enjoying the show but it would be better if they decided which element they wanted to be the primary one and focus on that more than the other.

We're also both streaming Naruto and Bleach episodes though we're at different spots. She's much further along than I am with Naruto where as I'm much further along with Bleach than she is. We'll meet up somewhere in the middle heh.

I want to start watching Durarara, Canaan, Sekirei, and Sacred Seven soon,
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:26 am Reply with quote
Let's run down the list:

Firstly, I've finished Kaiba. What a neat show. I love the art style and I love what it let's them do animation wise. There's some really cool moving chase sequences here that are really great. The whole art design is great. The little mini-planets, the mind portals. It's all very cool. It's not just the visuals though. The show tells a very neat story too with a lot of heart. That said, this show can often be unnecessarily incoherent. I mean, I like that elements of the show are rather abstract and never over explained but I definitely think they could have told the exact same story but been clearer about some parts. Like, they never really clarify where exactly Hyu-hyu came from until the very end and it would have made a lot more sense to clarify that the spoiler[ fake Warp] was different from Kaiba sooner.
Rating: Very Good

Next, I'm still keeping up with Blue Exorcist and Steins;Gate.

Blue Exorcist is still passable but not great. I still really like the job they do with the characters and their relationships to one another. Also, they've at least moved away from one off episodes a little bit. Still, the show remains totally directionless and the only real plot thread that seemed to be leading anywhere seemed to evaporate along with Amaimon. Steins;Gate I'm actually getting rather into. We've moved through the episodes featuring a couple of the dud characters and we're now on to the good stuff. Hopefully this is where the focus will remain for the rest of the show.
Ratings: So-so for both although Steins is pushing at Decent

I've also finally given up waiting for a DVD release and decided to just go ahead and watch the rest of House of Five Leaves. I have a tough time describing what I like so much about this show. It's a mystery essentially but not the kind that tries to grab you by throwing a bunch of big, dramatic questions at you. The opposite in fact. It has this calm, placid mood. On the surface, very little is going on. Yet, right from the start you can just feel that there's so much going on below the surface. That's what makes it so captivating to watch as they slowly pull back the curtain and reveal to you who these characters are and how they relate to each other. This is probably the best new show I've seen in a couple years.
Rating: Excellent

Also, I'm still working on Box of Goblins. Okay, this is definitely bordering on the frustratingly abstract. And yet, I can't deny that I found the first episode quite captivating. It's got a great, spooky atmosphere. The relationship between these two girls is quite intriguing. It hits just the right balance where nothing is overtly malicious and yet it's all just mildly unnerving. Both girls seem a bit off. It's all very intriguing. I'm eager to see where this is going. That said, this story is awfully messy. The story so far with these two girls and the detective is more or less okay but there's a number of bits tossed in that totally lost me. A few times now they've just kinda offhandedly mentioned certain things in passing that seem like major things but they never actually explain them at all. (They just kinda mention offhand that Kanako dies later and then...get's dismembered or something? I don't know. Also, a threat or whatever was up with that letter which is apparently the reason the police are all there).
Rating: Decent although it's teetering on So-so

I also checked out the first two episodes of Katanagatari. Boy, I'm glad I didn't just buy this blind. Okay, I like the art style. But jeez, it's like they wanted to do a 40 minute special but only had the script for a 20 minute show so they just decided to fill out the extra 20 minutes with absolutely awful and pointless dialogue. A lot of it is terrible because it's this really trite effort to be all self referential. The gag is basically that they're writing a report about their adventure and so they go on a bunch about stuff like how the main character is too boring and how they've got to correct this or nobody will read the report and what his catch phrase will be. It's not really overly clever to begin with and it gets run into the ground pretty fast. Plus, it's just so poorly executed. That's the thing here. Maybe this could be fun if it was written more smoothly. However, it's like this whole show was written by someone who really does not have the slightest clue about how to write dialogue. Everything is so wordy and drawn out. Characters just sit around blathering at each-other about absolutely nothing or for no real reason. Also, it's not like this is the show's only problem. Beneath it's period setting and stylish coat of paint, it's actually just largely the same otaku cliches. The main character is a bland, flat pushover personality-wise (and the few unique twists, like him being raised in the wild and unable to tell people apart, etc are so overblown that they just end up being silly, one off gags). Togame is really just the usual bossy, but also goofy tsundere. Plus, his sister is just the same old frail moe sister cliche. I guess there are good parts to this show. As I said, I do really like the art style. There are some brief entertaining moments as well. A couple neat fights. Really though, that's just a small fraction of the show. There's nothing to make it worth slogging through the rest of this show. I'm gonna watch one more episode to see if this starts getting any better. If not, I'm done.
Rating: Weak (albeit a high weak)

That's all at the moment. I'm probably going to start Denno Coil though now that Kaiba is done.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:06 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken I recommend watching 2 more episodes of Katanagatari.

Quote:
Plus, his sister is just the same old frail moe sister cliche.

You will change your opinion once you have seen episode 4, in which it's revealed what sort of person she really is.

Quote:
Togame is really just the usual bossy, but also goofy tsundere.

Her goofy tsundere behaviour spoiler[is just a front]. Deep down Togame is a spoiler[cold, ambitious and calculating person.]

Last edited by Aylinn on Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:37 am Reply with quote
Aylinn, those are some big spoilers of major plot twists, especially the second one. You may want to spoiler tag them.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:20 am Reply with quote
Finished with Gankutsuou, and I absolutely love it! Perfect type of revenge guilty pleasure I was searching for. Made me go out and read cliff notes of the original book to refresh my memory of the book.

I love the whole English cast and so many great performances. I love the blend of futuristic stuff with past like qualities. And I still liked that funky art style, as I think fit the show well.

I love themes like this and very pleased with this adaptation.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
ikillchicken I recommend watching 2 more episodes of Katanagatari.

Quote:
Plus, his sister is just the same old frail moe sister cliche.

You will change your opinion once you have seen episode 4, in which it's revealed what sort of person she really is.

Eh, it doesn't entirely negate the whole "I'm adorable and sickly, please take care of me" vibe she has going. spoiler[Sure, she's actually a sadistic psychopath, but it's reaffirmed that part of her goal is to be killed because she's constantly suffering from some vague illness.]
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:23 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Aylinn wrote:

Eh, it doesn't entirely negate the whole "I'm adorable and sickly, please take care of me" vibe she has going. spoiler[Sure, she's actually a sadistic psychopath, but it's reaffirmed that part of her goal is to be killed because she's constantly suffering from some vague illness.]

I agree that it doesn't negate "I'm adorable and sickly, please take care of me" entirely, but she is no longer a clichéd fragile sister.

Besides, it could be argued that it takes away the 'adorable' element. spoiler[What she does in episode 4 may make her a whole lot less adorable to some viewers. Personally, I find her even more adorable, but my sense of adorableness is too twisted to count. Twisted Evil ]
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I just finished the fabulous show Star Driver and boy is it FABULOUS. I enjoyed every episode and the majority of the music but the ending leaves me unsatisfied... I don't have a problem with the ending but... It's the kind of feeling where you want more of the show. Actually, the ending may have concluded the plot but I wanted to know the epilogue. Yes, spoiler[the adventure of life continues, but what happens after they're in space! ] I absolutely loved the mecha too... Although they had some weird designs... There were many characters too and I have few complaints about them. The face time for some characters were good but the ones I wanted to see the most never managed to get that much air time. Then there's the romance issue, spoiler[ Wako did state she loved both Sugata and Takuto but what about the other girls! I want to see them confess!] Well... at least I can go character shipping now... and go find some fanfiction to satisfy my horny desires. I want more of Star Driver... my libido will not be satisfy! Gah!@ MORE STAR DRIVER!@ My libido demands it!

Anyways... I have started the phenomenon that is NGE. I managed to get five episodes in but gah... It's a bit depressing for me. Not the story but the way Shinji is treated. It makes me feel that in the world of Evangelion, all adults are useless and there's no one to confide in. Hell, I think the best part of the show are actually the teenagers but they also have faults. The teenagers seem quite realistic so far, especially the two classmates that Shinji made friends with. Although, one of them, I forgot his name, did tick me off a bit for his actions. I can't blame him though, he supposedly a family member but I don't see why he would blame Shinji for that. Mr. Gendou is just an asshole. He neglects his son, doesn't care for him, and the only person he cares for is Rei. I have knowledge of spoilers as NGE is a well known show but... I just can't stand Gendou's negligence of his son. I basically raged the whole time. I'm not too sure if I'll be able to handle the show, well, the characters, if things continue on like this... but I'm going force myself. Ganbarre!! Fight!

I mustn't stop watching this show... I mustn't stop watching this show... I mustn't stop watching this show...

Actually, I've been watching mainly older shows such as Love Hina [Again] and Ah! My Goddess. Rated Love Hina good and Love Hina Again very good. The guy's sister was hot... as well as Motoko's sister. I only managed to get up to episode 5 in Ah! My Goddess though, but I like what I watched. Then I have nearly 100GB of anime to watch...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 610 of 1062