• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kensiko

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Currently going through Noragami

because I like swords
animekink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:33 am Reply with quote
Just began to watch Naruto.
Why? A good friends told me that I must.
In anime fan world it's like not watching The Godfather for movie fans.
.p.s...I'm new to anime Embarassed
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:15 pm Reply with quote
A couple days ago I watched the Nanoha A's compilation movie and my complaints are almost identical to those of the other one so I will keep the review short: The pacing was horrendous, they could (and should) have cut a good 45 minutes out from this, the focus is at least better, there was less loli fan service like the TV series, and the epilogue was dragged out beyond belief. Now for the real meat of the post.

Today I marathoned One Punch Man in its entirety and I can safely say this is hands down one of the most obnoxious anime titles I have ever seen. Period. Lets get the positives out of the way: Every creature design was well done, the scenery art was good, the pacing was solid save eps 7 and 8 where it dragged a bit, and the last quarter pulled together to make something decent. Now for everything else!

-The music, absolutely horrific, and considering the opening theme was done by freaking JAM Project of all bands that is cringe inducing since.... Actually they can be hit or miss. Still, both themes were really bad with the ending theme not even being fitting.

-"Oh boo hoo I win all the time" What a crybaby! Better to win all the time than to lose, plus it isn't like super strength can do something useful like get you unbanned from Mecha Talk or clear your name at Anime Suki from obvious false charges. Yeah, Saitama really is not a fun guy to focus on. This would not be as bad if the cast was more interesting (and they are not). Considering his enemies in the series are usually on the side of scientific progress, animal rights, and social change it is baffling Tumblr likes this guy.

-The animation in the first half is absolutely horrendous, almost to the levels of the likes of Kill la Kill, Puni Puni Poemii, or Eiken. The second half lulls you into thinking the animation gets consistent until this short woman named Tornado has a massive influx in design inconsistency! Not even regular "we can't determine if she's wearing heels or flats" (even though that is here, why the hell do I notice garbage like this?) but flat out unable to get the face and hair style correctly. Also /a/ thinks she is a loli despite looking and being an adult; kind of an aside, but how does being an ESPer allow you to summon freaking meteors?

-The comedy is really bad; on top of that sometimes it tries to be serious and all it does is achieve mood whiplash, the second half of the final episode demonstrates that perfectly.

-And what dragged this series down from just "decent that got popular somehow" to "wow, this was actually bad" territory: It never shuts up. Nearly every ten seconds someone is talking and with the exception of Saitama and Silver Fang it is always yelling and screaming. Super Robot Wars all attacks compilations do not have that much vocal strain. Instead of letting the audience enjoy the action scenes for what they are, there has to be someone yammering in the background, contributing to noise pollution and if you are seeing it subbed you have to divert your eyes to what is being said without a break. The endless amounts of talking nearly gave me a headache, this was strenuous to listen to.

And there is a freaking OVA on top of this, joy. And this series somehow won anime of the year over Aquarion Logos. I just.... Ugh.
FerrisGump

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:32 am Reply with quote
Most of my access to anime right now is through Netflix streaming. I'm streaming my all-time favorite series, OHSHC, because I need to finally finish the series. I also watched the first episode of Death Note recently because I feel like all I ever watch is slice of life, and I wanted a little change in my life. The first episode was okay, if a bit slow.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Fushigi Yuugi is getting better was Miaka's friend Yui gets involved in the actual plot.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Watching Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom
Why? I bought it earlier with a large amount of bargain anime last year... And because I wasn't paying attention I got it mixed up with Karau: Phantom Memory... which is the one I wanted to buy.

Oh well, accidentally buying a Gen Urobuchi scripted anime has to be one of the best mistaken purchases you can make.

Not that I love it. This looks to be the type of show I won't feel sorry for watching, but not one I'm likely to care about rewatching. Not my kind of show. Assassins as a protagonists is not my thing. The only thing in my current collection, other than this, that qualifies is Grosse Point Blank.

Anyways. It's certainly a thoughtful show, which is why I can appreciate it. So far I can't say I can agree with the conclusions anyone comes to, but it has a pretty good internal logic for why our Phantoms do what they do and feel trapped in their situation.

However, the logic of the characters' individual actions at the end of the first disc (first "part" ending at number 10) do seemingly fall apart.
...a key to the organization's power is the skill of the phantoms... one guy controls the phantoms... they know he's likely to be traitorous to them but they let him have free reign... When he does betray them (or did he? it's almost like he was set up as a betrayer... but he acts like he did do it) they're fine with torching everything (not that they ever had any contingency plans). Kill the one that was only following orders, kill the only guy who knows how to "create" the phantoms, and go ahead and kill the other one too if it's convenient.

No phantoms, no way to make more, no effective enforcers at all. OH well, the boss still has plenty of fancy cravats to wear and lots of wine to swish around in glasses as he delights in his ultimate power. So- it's all good. His endless supply of Red Shirts will surely get the job done.

Then we also have the monologues before killing, pauses to scream before shooting and the bad ass chick bodyguard who suddenly can't shoot an unaware and static target with any of the dozen shots she fires. (but she could hit a sniper behind cover, in the dark, a hundred feet up)

That's how those final two episodes of this section end. Which is why I'm pausing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Yesterday I finished watching NieA_7.

Nobody likes to do much during the summer. There is something quite oneiric and otherworldly in trying to exert yourself when daylight, insects and dry heat seem perennial, when the passage of time itself is something immeasurable. NieA_7, ostensibly a mellow comedy about a polite but impoverished student and her brash, maladjusted room-mate, captures this dream-like, inconsequential state of being with grace if not profoundness.

Mayuko, the student, combines her studies with several part-time jobs whilst NieA, an untidy alien girl, sleeps on Mayuko’s roof, tinkers with scrap parts and pesters her for food. All the while the balmy summer of a rusty Tokyo suburb shimmers around them and their ramshackle ways of life. This arrangement suits neither of them, resulting in most of their interactions being comically hostile, at least in appearance. NieA thinks nothing of expecting Mayuko to provide her with whatsoever foodstuff takes her fancy, whereas Mayuko, usually rational and reserved, never hesitates to berate NieA for her sloth and general carelessness. Their petty arguments form the backbone of their uncomplicated relationship, and it soon becomes apparent that their mutual friendship, whilst never delved into, is sustained through these moments of supposed verbal contempt.

NieA_7 has a story to it, but only just. Save for a few regrettable filler episodes that vary from banal to bizarre, this is a show about the characters’ world and not their ultimate plights. The presentation of NieA herself errs towards that of somewhat of a lackadaisical enigma within the broader context of the show’s setting—that in which humans and aliens have come to cohabit—but only minimal effort is spent on any backstories or character development. (This work is adapted from a manga, leading me to suspect there was insufficient material available to focus on such matters.) The various directors, when not experimenting with comedic contrivances, are mostly contented to show Mayuko and NieA simply going about their days. When drama arises, such as an episode in which Mayuko channels her own insecurities into a rarely earnest insult towards NieA, it is typically resolved through NeiA reacting in her usual boisterous way as if nothing serious had happened.

By doing so, curiously enough, ultimately nothing does happen. Like NieA herself, the viewer is left to take in the lives of these characters one day at a time, enjoying the emptiness of a lifestyle that permits no change and conveys no status, as if it were worth savouring ultimately.

So the storytelling shows thought but is otherwise minimal, though the work manages to distinguish itself from others that the now-ubiquitous “slice of life” label. It does so through a constant, measured attention to its summertime setting and the sense of mellowness this engenders: distant panning shots are plentiful, relishing in an unkempt but welcoming suburbia that becomes almost pretty in the bleach of the sun and the chorus of the cicada. There is nothing technically brilliant to its visual designs, though fortunately it is not left in want of creative distinction: the musical score is unique and evocative. Uncomplicated ukulele and acoustic guitar melodies, combined with the occasional Hawaiian or jazz rhythm, perfectly evoke an aura of peacefulness and an impression of time slipping by without any accompanying alterations in circumstance. If there is anything to this simple anime that resonates beyond the moment, it is its decidedly aestival soundtrack.

I will not rush to recommend NieA_7 unreservedly. If it is to charm you, it is to do so not with its subject matter but with how warmly and gently it presents its small cast, and the lulling ambience of their imperfect but relatively untroubled summer lives.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Today I watched the second eps of the three part OVAs I have been taking on.

-Takegami: Wow this got boring, in fact aside from Takegami/Susanooh fighting another dragon count (who is supposed to be Orochi yet they never refer to him by name) nothing interesting happens. There is also some side plot about some girl with untapped magic powers and it drags on, killing the pacing. I guess this goes to show that just because Masami Obari works on something does not guarantee it will be entertaining.

-Jungle De Ikou!: Wow did they run out of ideas fast somehow, the first half of the episode was basically sexist slapstick and menstruation jokes (spoilers: there was no effort in it and the pacing went to a screeching halt). So what happened after the squirting scene (it wasn't, it was summoning water that only looked like it) that made Anime Abandon stop the review? After LITERALLY ONLY FIVE SECONDS (Wow Bennett, you could handle rib cages being torn open in Geno Cyber and giving a Snickers joke yet not go beyond that? He didn't even need to show or mention it.) it summons a water fairy named Rongo, Ongo supposedly knew her but cannot remember, and a fight scene ensues. Also Mii likes hitting men all the time because jealousy issues; you'd think it's just be bad menstrual humor in the writing, but no, she did it in the first episode and made it abundantly clear throughout this episode she just hates her classmate and Ongo. Honestly the random US plane flying over Japan (Mii actually gives out specifications which was actually a decent attempt at comedy) was more jarring, especially since this took place in the 90s (aka after the USSR collapsed). It ends with the human Rongo possessed likely dead since her spine likely snapped given the position. The ep was barely amusing and definitely did not warrant the over reacting, I've seen far worse than this (like One Punch Man).

-Gun Smith Cats: Oh hey, conspiracies and more gun fighting! Yeah, I have no problem with this, although May and glasses girl being mostly tagalongs is sort of irksome. On the plus side more Chicago iconography seems to be used in the scenery.

While I am here I also took on the first episode of another two part OVA!

-Gargantia: Far Beyond The Voyage: I can see why a second season was never greenlit, nothing happens until the very last minute which is basically some blonde chick spoiler[activating a robot.] No action, just a glorified rescue operation which COULD have taken place in the series. I should be calling this one of the most pathetic epilogues in anime history, but I will wait until I see the other episode before declaring that.
tjddir316

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:22 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
I'm currently watching Fushigi Yugi and absolutely loving it. The pleasure. The pain. The endless questions and hard fought answers. The mix of old and new. The players and the pawns. Perhaps the most unlikely and difficult relationship any world has ever known. One step forward and four steps back. How on earth did I manage to ignore this series for so long? Experiences like this are why I keep coming back to anime and why I am so thankful for Geneon's incredible sale. Thank goodness I managed to catch it. This is one series I doubt I'll ever forget.

So, what are you watching and why?

{I am stickying this thread because of its popularity. Also, just a reminder: Please, no one-liners -- provide reasons. ~nobahn}

Wow I love that series! Right now I am currently watching Saiyukin

Why? The story is filled with comedy, action plus some sexy factor with a little bit of naughtiness. I was laughing hard at the start of the series. The MC's are funny and I really loved the facial expressions.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:02 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:

-Jungle De Ikou!: Wow did they run out of ideas fast somehow, the first half of the episode was basically sexist slapstick and menstruation jokes (spoilers: there was no effort in it and the pacing went to a screeching halt). So what happened after the squirting scene (it wasn't, it was summoning water that only looked like it) that made Anime Abandon stop the review?

I think it just made Sage really uncomfortable. lol Different things squick different people. Like I don't think violence of any type will squick Sage at all but he hates the lolicon stuff.....and in this case, I really can't blame him.

Jungle De Ikou is REALLY very tasteless and tries to be as perverted as possible.....with very young girls. Unlike Kodomo No Jikan, there's no substance like touching feels or intriguing character studies. It's just......bad fanservice for the sake of being bad fanservice.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Like I don't think violence of any type will squick Sage at all but he hates the lolicon stuff

That didn't stop him from that awful excuse for a Violence Jack review (I could have made a bunch of jokes about that; a chainsaw to the gut? Get pinata music!). I too am creeped out by lolicon, it is the main reason Puni Puni Poemii got a 1/10 from me. This on the other hand? Too much ingrained in comedy, it doesn't go far enough, and there is an in-universe and thematic explanation for all of it. The TV version of Nanoha is more of a lolicon bait series than this.

Regardless of that though, he made what was barely five seconds and blew it out of proportion to the point where people like me want to know what HAPPENED. I have not seen the vast majority of things featured on AA, the stuff I have seen is usually badly represented (his Iria, Devilman, and Garzey's Wing reviews being the best examples due to how little research he did on them when he clearly shows he has done research in his other reviews; his Agent Aika review also irks me, but that is due to the fact he didn't cover the funny episodes Laughing).
Quote:
Jungle De Ikou is REALLY very tasteless and tries to be as perverted as possible....

....fanservice for the sake of being bad fanservice.

Chibs-man, I've seen tasteless anime, if Jungle De Ikou is supposed to be tasteless it does a sucky job at it. Anime that do accomplish that on the other hand?

http://myanimelist.net/anime/4042/Hanappe_Bazooka
http://myanimelist.net/anime/305/Abashiri_Ikka
http://myanimelist.net/anime/2525/Kekkou_Kamen
http://myanimelist.net/anime/151/Re__Cutie_Honey
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1628/Maou_Dante
http://myanimelist.net/anime/9493/Dororon_Enma-kun_Meeramera

There are better examples (Eiken, Pappilon Rose, Ultimate Girls, and Mai Hime come to mind), but those ones are actually good, I recommend you give those a watch. Being a Go Nagai fan has a bunch of perks!
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:02 am Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
Like I don't think violence of any type will squick Sage at all but he hates the lolicon stuff

There are better examples (Eiken, Pappilon Rose, Ultimate Girls, and Mai Hime come to mind), but those ones are actually good, I recommend you give those a watch. Being a Go Nagai fan has a bunch of perks!

I think that you and I have a vastly different definition of what good tasteless humor is.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:01 am Reply with quote
I listed that among bad ones, hence the
Quote:
but those ones are actually good

Was in reference to the Go Nagai stuff. Wow did I not catch that. Laughing
Komugi°

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:13 am Reply with quote
I am currently watching
Nurse Witch Komugi-chan R - It is adorable and fun to watch, fell in love with it quickly... I got to watch the old episodes too through.
Space Dandy - Hilarious and relaxing, I usually hate sci-fi but this one makes me not mind it so much.
ERASED - I guess one of the most hyped anime lately, wish it didn't go downhill so much.
Dagashi Kashi - Funny :p
Kanojo to Kanojo no Neko: Everything Flows - Made me cry a bit because I have a cat and I know how it feels. It is cute but wish it was a bit longer overall.
Fairy Tail - Fairy Tail is life
Shimoneta to Iu Gainen ga Sonzai Shinai Taikutsu na Sekai
- I like ecchi anime and this is a hilarious comedy tbh.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:37 am Reply with quote
Hey everyone! So, I've been a bit lazy with my anime viewing recently. Mostly because reality got in the way (school, family, move, etc.). However, I did manage to find the time to watch the first episode of Spice and Wolf II. Man, it feels great to be back!

[Pictured: How I feel inside right now.]

Honestly, what makes Spice and Wolf work for me is that the chemistry between Holo and Lawrence feels SO real and genuine. You can't really describe their relationship as tsundere-and-wimp, because neither of them fit the archetypes. There's also the fact that Holo is one of my absolute favorite female leads in anything. Part of it is Brina Palencia, and the other is the writing. I would marry a woman like Holo if I could.

Anyway, here's my current schedule.

After Monster: Still too early to tell, but most likely Cowboy Bebop.
After Spice and Wolf II: It's a surprise.
After BECK: Great Teacher Onizuka.
After Ghost in the Shell: SAC: Probably Evangelion.
After Chobits: Azumanga Daioh.

See you soon! (And read Akane Analyzes, because I need comments to know how I'm doing.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 898 of 1062