• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I just finished my one thousandth anime aka Serial Experiments Lain....

>that horrific animation degeneration
>that pathetic character development
>the first half of episode 11 was just a music video
>the last episode being one of those horrid epilogues
>the main villain's plot was basically spoiler[have everyone commit suicide in the real world to join the Wired where he can control them for no reason] and was a scientist under the delusion he was God
>so many disjointed scenes
>such slow pacing
>Lain's dumb origin spoiler[a homunculus created from brainwave fragments? And her family being only memories? The hell?]
>all that nonsensical philosophy
>overly bright scenes my monitor can barely handle
>spoiler[Lain's sister gets reincarnated into a teacher that date's one of her students]

NOTHING. MAKES. SENSE. This is hands down one of the most pathetic attempts at storytelling, let alone animation, I have ever seen. It's mind boggling to consider how much fail went into this! So yeah, I'm doing it.

1/10

This failed. Hard. Really really hard. 1000 anime and all I have to show for it is this MALGraph! Wow I don't know what white, red, brown, yellow, and cyan stripes together mean. I like all my other achievements though! This reminds me, I really should watch some sports anime at some point.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I started Hunter x Hunter, courtesy of Toonami.

Only I missed the premiere on Toonami because I like to sleep before 1:00 a.m. :/
So I watched the first episode on Toonami's website. But the site wouldn't load episode 2, so I watched episode 02, subbed on Viz's website.

Definitely like the sub better. I like Kuripika most right now.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
In order to wash the taste of cereal experts lane out of my brain I needed something composed of epic win. For four and a half years Go Nagai did not have Dynamic Studios release anything since Demon Prince Enma: Burning Up. I wondered what the hell happened to him? Did he retire and move to Tibet? Apparently mini-mangas were made by him. Then last year came about with his triumphant return with Cyborg 009 vs. Devilman which the folks at Netflix not only gave to us US fans, but even included a dub! My response to seeing this? THIS? Not only is this one of the best OVAs I have ever seen in my life by accomplishing virtually everything it was trying to do, not only is it easy to get into if you know nothing about Cyborg 009 like me, not only does the entertainment succeed through the roof, but it proves once more why Go Nagai is as awesome and influential as he is. He knows his audience, he knows what people want and need in their stories, and succeeds in flying colors. I dare even say the animation here trumps the filmography of Studio Ghibli. Welcome back, Uncle Go, the wait was well worth it. Cool

Why yes this did receive a perfect score from me, is it possible for this guy to make a bad anime? Even his worst stuff is okay.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Today I finished watching Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid. The show was even darker than Season 1. The half-bald blond guy's laughs were a frightening sound to hear. Anime dazed But, overall, I had a fun ride.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:41 pm Reply with quote
^
Yeah, I like it even better than the 1st season.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi Universe. Just got it from an anime convention. It was... okay. I finished disc one. Honestly, the flanderization isn't too annoying, but it is disappointing. Mihoshi is godawful, but aside from that, everyone just feels like wasted potential so far. I'm remembering the episode with Washu taking care of the baby from the original OVA series and then seeing her as an egotistical genius with zero other things going on. It's genuinely upsetting so far. Hopefully it gets better.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:47 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
^

I agree. I always felt the show should have been a bit darker and more serious. It just felt a bit out of whack in season 1. You'd have serious parts and then the comedy like bits. Second Raid definitely felt more coherent to me. Maybe that's just me.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
nobahn wrote:
^

I agree. I always felt the show should have been a bit darker and more serious. It just felt a bit out of whack in season 1. You'd have serious parts and then the comedy like bits. Second Raid definitely felt more coherent to me. Maybe that's just me.

Oh no. Season one was pretty unbalanced. I agree that Fumoffu and Second Raid are both great because they deliver a good mix of both. Fumoffu's silly action and Second Raid's dark humor mixed with serious drama made for great watches. The first season just switched between a school comedy and a Real Robot anime with less subtlety than Code Fudging Geass.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:47 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Fumoffu's silly action and Second Raid's dark humor mixed with serious drama made for great watches.

I think FMP wouldn't be the awesome show that it is had it not been for its humor mixed in between the serious moments. Cool
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
Fumoffu's silly action and Second Raid's dark humor mixed with serious drama made for great watches.

I think FMP wouldn't be the awesome show that it is had it not been for its humor mixed in between the serious moments. Cool

I must agree. Second Raid isn't great because the humor is gone. It just uses the right type of humor. Dark humor. Mr. Gates is hilarious in the same way Ladd Russo is. Sousuke misinterpreting the concept of dating or assaulting a teacher for being a possible terrorist wouldn't work in the midst of a seriously dramatic arc. This does.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:22 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Tenchi Universe. Just got it from an anime convention. It was... okay. I finished disc one. Honestly, the flanderization isn't too annoying, but it is disappointing. .

Yeah, I agree. Ryouko gets some awesome development at least....but she's the only reason I bothered with Universe and find it memorable.

Do not watch Tenchi in Tokyo for the love of God and all that is holy.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
Tenchi Universe. Just got it from an anime convention. It was... okay. I finished disc one. Honestly, the flanderization isn't too annoying, but it is disappointing. .

Yeah, I agree. Ryouko gets some awesome development at least....but she's the only reason I bothered with Universe and find it memorable.

Do not watch Tenchi in Tokyo for the love of God and all that is holy.

I find it dumb that (so far) the interesting things about the characters are gone. Ryoko being Washu's creation? Washu having her son taken from her and having a soft spot for children? But oh god... the worst thing is Mihoshi. What was so bad about her in the first series? She was okay comic relief and had her moments. Here? Kiyone basically exists to have her life ruined by her partner. I remember her first appearance, having Kiyone celebrate the supposed death of her partner. At first, I thought she was a horrible person, but after seeing them interact, I don't blame her. Universe!Mihoshi is up there with modern!Spongebob and Patrick! She's terrible. Ugh...

The one character they didn't ruin at all though, is Sasami. She's still adorable and makes me smile. Aside from that though... something better happen soon.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:43 am Reply with quote
I finally, finally made it through Tegami Bachi and Reverse. What an epic slog! I ordered these through Rightstuf's Christmas sale the year before last, but the entire order was lost in the mail (I know, right?) somewhere in the vicinity of Colorado, so I didn't actually receive it until the following March. Then for several months I was just too busy to sit down with it. I eventually started in on it, but while it started out very interesting, by the end of the first series I was getting worn out. I started Reverse, but after about 4 episodes, I realized I was avoiding watching it in favor of housecleaning and other chores, which is a really bad sign. I finally took the disk out and moved on to Antique Bakery, which was even more delightful than the first time I watched it, followed by No. 6, which had some really fun commentaries for all the episodes.

Then it was on to Guin Saga, which I had bought because I was told it wasn't as bad as the outrageous clip on YouTube. Well, it wasn't as bad as that, but Jesus, even the seiyuu seemed like they phoned in their performances, and the English dub was just as stiff and atrociously written. By the time I got to the notorious dub scenes, I could almost understand why the actors went so off the rails. It seemed like there was a good story to be told in this, and the animation was lovely, but the storytelling ruined any chance it had. Reading the discussion threads and reviews made me wonder if the people posting were even watching the same thing I was.

So after that I was finally in the mood to put quit to Letter Bee and made it through Reverse in a few days. At the end I wondered what the point was, since spoiler[nothing about the world ended up changing as far as i could tell. The fake sun was still being powered by people's souls, and only the elite still had access, and the world was still dark and grim. At least Gauche was not evil anymore. Yay?]

I'd been wanting to watch Kemonozume for a long time, so I finally did. Wow! That was pretty different! And the OP knocked my socks off. The OP band (Katteni Shiyagare) led me to Gallery Fake, which I'm watching now. I'm only 4 episodes in, but I was on board from the first one. It seems like a little bit of Detective Conan, a little bit of Bartender, and a little bit of Lupin. Great OP song for this too. I don't know anything about art, but I recently saw the Conan movie about the sunflower paintings, and the second episode of GF was also about them, so that was fun. The series takes the time to explain what's going on without being boring, and they don't beat you over the head with every nuance. For example, near the end of episode 4, his assistant Sara adopts a cat which she holds up to him to get acquainted. spoiler[The cat has a friendly look, but you're just waiting for it to explode in his face. But then they just transition to a scene of him meeting his nemesis in her art gallery and they chat a bit to wrap things up and allow her to reiterate how much she hates him. And then he turns away to leave, and if you don't blink, you see the four claw marks on his cheek.] Laughing That's some real nice work right there, symbolism included.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Well, I've finished Spice and Wolf II, and it was just as good as Season One! It was charming, adventerous, and it has Holo the Wise Wolf. Just...I love Holo. She's probably one of my favorite heroines in all of anime. I also cannot praise Brina Palencia enough for her performance. This is easily one of her best roles I've heard from her. I think I'll make watching Spice and Wolf every February one of my traditions.

But you're not interested in any of that, are you? No, of course you aren't! You wanna hear about what I'm watching next! Okay, here it goes. The next show I'm watching has a...reputation among all of you guys. You either adore it or despise it. It's the one. The only...

SWORD. ART. ONLINE.

[God help me.]
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:53 pm Reply with quote
^
Your image is "broken."

(experimenting below)

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/SwordArtOnlineAnime_7593.jpg

photo Screenshot from 2016-04-29 153916_zpsfysbwcbd.png

Well, this is very strange..... Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 904 of 1062