• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I've started watching Scum's Wish. I'm 5 episodes in. At first it was just good, but it's getting into very good territory now. The soundtrack is kind of minimalistic, but somehow extremely powerful. The music really helps create this really eerie and suspenseful atmosphere that gives me goose bumps. It's amazing. The characters are really interesting too. Everyone seems to be talking about Ecchan, but I don't think she is that bad. She's like a slave to her feelings, but I think underneath she is a nice person. Maybe she gets worse as the show goes on. I'm pretty sure Akane is the devil though.

P.S. For some stupid reason episode 5 wasn't available with English subtitles on Amazon Prime thing. What the fudge? I had to resort to other means.

I know the feeling. I often have to resort to using Kissanime, the Devil's work, in order to watch Funimation dubs because the Funimation Now app isn't on the Wii U, but Kissanime works on the browser for the console. Forgive me!
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Progress Report:

With luck, I should be able to get my recap of Code Geass Episode Two by tomorrow. I wasn't able to get much done, but now that I've finished one out of two deep cleaning sessions at the dentist, I should be able to get out more content. In case you're wondering, yes, I'm doing fine, although my gums hurt like a b***h now that the novocaine's worn off.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:46 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I know the feeling. I often have to resort to using K********, the Devil's work, in order to watch Funimation dubs because the Funimation Now app isn't on the Wii U, but K******** works on the browser for the console.

I am using my 5000th post to remind you to atone for such malpractice, provoked though it was! Can you perhaps stream a few advertisements on the Funimation player to compensate for the counterfactual loss? After all, the power is yours!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Woomy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Not long ago I just finished watching "The Handmaiden". The latest film by Park Chan-Woon and I loved it.

Now, I'm probably gonna get started on that film Moonlight which I keep hearing good things about, or Shane Black's latest film I missed out on "The Nice Guys" which everyone tells me was great and reminds me of his previous work like "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang".
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
I know the feeling. I often have to resort to using K********, the Devil's work, in order to watch Funimation dubs because the Funimation Now app isn't on the Wii U, but K******** works on the browser for the console.

I am using my 5000th post to remind you to atone for such malpractice, provoked though it was! Can you perhaps stream a few advertisements on the Funimation player to compensate for the counterfactual loss? After all, the power is yours!

Well, I tried before and it didn't work on the Wii U's browser. Maybe it got fixed since then. I'll check it out next time I'm on it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:38 am Reply with quote
Just watched the Trinity Seven Movie, which happened to just show up on Crunchyroll. I know that the series was not great, I have it a "Good" and kind of liked it at the time, but the movie was a bit of a disappointment. No spoilers, but I found myself needing to adjust in remembering a lot of things, and this was after the first 5 minutes of the 55 minute movie was spent recapping the series. But what hurts the movie the most is that there is no downtime, in ways it is not too different than a number of things like say the movies of Bleach, Naruto, Sora no Otoshimono, Fairy Tail, and probably a number of other ones I can't quite recall. The majority of them make the movie have some downtime part way through, which maybe gets called padding, but in my opinion gives a sort of lived in feeling to the setting, but this movie feels like one conflict. If you are familiar with the tropes you can see that spoiler[the character introduced in the movie is going to have to disappear], but there does not feel like there is any time to actually spoiler[get attached to her, instead they frontload all of her interactions right at the beginning], and it just does not hit.

Well I give it a rating of So-so (5/10) in that it really was not grabbing my attention that much despite my interest in the series, and also that it was actually pretty good to look at, the animation and stuff was really pretty good. The problem was the pacing, that I feel they could have focused less on the action and instead write it to have a little extra time in the middle that did not feel so busy.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Progress Report:

I have no idea when I'm going to get my next Code Geass recap up because terrible things keep happening in my life that prevent me from sitting down and completing it. So instead, I'm going to watch the Little Witch Academia mini-movies. Because it brings me joy.

Side Note: Whenever I see something of mine will be up on X date, it usually means one to three weeks later.

EDIT: As of March 18, the promised recap of Code Geass's second episode is now up and ready to read for my dear viewers and everyone else who'd like to take a peek! Thank you all for your patience.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:18 am Reply with quote
Rurouni Kenshin live action movie trilogy. Really excellent stuff, maybe the best live action adaptation of manga/anime that I've seen out of Japan (not that I've seen vast quantities...). Looks like they put the actors through hell, especially Min Tanaka playing Okina - choreography or not, that's a lot of action for a guy in his 70s. Also loved Yosuke Eguchi's performance as Saito and Munetaka Aoki providing just enough comic relief as Sanosuke.

My only complaint was the translation of "hitokiri" as "killsword." wtf. That's not even a word, and it's certainly not what hitokiri means. Some people might also be put off by the perpetually dirty hair in the second two movies. Very Happy I guess my other disappointment (but not really a complaint) was that they didn't do Cho the Sword Hunter's whip sword. That would've been so cool to see.

Go binge them. All the sword-socky you could ask for and then some, inventively choreographed and mostly believable. Although the Juppongatana kinda got short shrift, and some events naturally got moved around or conflated, I was still surprised by how much of the whole first two major arcs of the series they managed to work in there (I figured they'd just skip the whole broken sword thing, but no).

The second movie begins with the gang going to see a stage play about the "Bakkyuusai" (with a 九-shaped scar instead of a 十 (kyuu=9=九), which reminded me of Aang & Co. doing the same in Avatar. Fun stuff.

Excuse me now, while I go dig out my anime disks, because now I'm itchin' to revisit the series. Smile
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:24 am Reply with quote
Watched Naruto The Last Movie and Boruto: The Movie. My thoughts... both of them would have been WAY better without a plot.

What do I mean by this? Well, they were both given villains related to Kaguya, the final boss of the manga and Shippuden. Why do I say "Final Boss" and not "Main villain?" Because she literally shows up with zero foreshadowing and reveals herself as the "Goddess of chakara" or something. It's the most tacky thing ever and it robs the whole series of what I believe could have been a pretty epic final boss with Madara Uchiha, the revived archenemy of the first hokage, as well as the co-founder of the Hidden Leaf Village. The best thing to do with Kaguya was exactly what the manga pretty much did. The meta-narrative should have pretended that she never existed and continued with the story.

Sadly, these two movies bring her clan into the series as though she were the best dang villain in shounen history. She's definitely not an iconic Orochimaru-Dio Brando-Frieza-Makoto Shishio-Toguro/Sensui type villain. Her new kin have goals such as "destroy humanity because they're imperfect creatures" and "take Hinata as my wife because she's just the best waifu on this show." Quite frankly, these stories are stupid, but the things happening in the background would make for great movies on their own.

Naruto: The Last Movie, has Hinata finally ready to confess her feelings for Naruto, only to hesitate because of a misunderstanding when she sees him wearing a scarf, despite having made him a scarf as a gift. Now, why she assumed that a rival for his affections made him the scarf instead of... I dunno, anyone else or even Naruto himself, I can't say. Basically, the movie ends with Naruto saying that he wants to spend the rest of his days with Hinata, which is sweet and touching for longtime fans, but I wish we could have gone from Point A (Hinata wants to confess her love to Naruto) to Point B (Naruto develops/realizes his feelings for Hinata and confesses to her instead) without this weird, stupid "End of the world" story obstructing everything.

And the same goes for Boruto, who is a great character. I like that he's not just Naruto 2.0 (not too much anyway). In fact, he doesn't even want to be hokage. His entire group of himself, Sarada Uchiha (Sasuke and Sakura's far more likable daughter), and Mitsuki (a mysterious youth whose "parents" I am aware of, though I think that's a spoiler worth keeping), are well-balanced and play off each other well. From what little we see of the rest of the next gen shinobi, they're all interesting. But this plot, which has another shallow ubermensch who wants to destroy humanity or something, is ruining that. See, this plot interrupts Boruto's CHUNIN EXAM! What's the one arc of the original Naruto that everyone agrees introduces the most interesting characters and lets the audience see how cool and unique their powers and personalities are? If you said Zabuza arc, you're wrong and should feel ashamed of yourself. If you said "The Chunin Exams," Well, you're right in the same way that you're right to say "Water is wet." The story opts to make Boruto the hero of a good vs evil story instead of just showing the progression of the chunin exam! What a rip off. And yes, technically the chunin exam arc did this by having the Sound Village and Sand Village attack everyone, but that happened during the FINALS.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Started watching Bokuon. So far, so great! Its show in Digibro's top 10 anime of 2016 list and it really is great entertainment, so far. Has the good stuff: bikes and cute girls (one of them saying: "we are delinquents now esting ramen at midnight!". It's kinda like K-On! but exchanging the musical instruments for bikes which is just the type of stuff that makes me love the twin mediums of comics and animation. Although the animation is not exceptional.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Progress Report:

I watched the Catnapped movie. It was...pretty bad. Though it is bad in a fun garbage fire way. Seriously, try summarizing it without sounding like you're drunk and/or high. Let's just say the least insane plot point in this movie involves a Power Glove. This is the sort of movie to watch while you're on ten different substances.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Bubblegum Crisis (OVA) - Bubblegum Crisis is one of my favorite anime series and this year is the 30th anniversary. So I decided to marathon the franchise for the 30th anniversary since I haven't seen the original in well over a decade. I'm glad that I rewatch it because I think it holds up pretty well.

The animation is fantastic and still looks pretty good today. The detail on the mechanical monsters and Mega Tokyo are very well done. The setting of Mega Tokyo feels dark and futuristic which captures the mood of the anime. The fight choreography was great because it made all of the fight scenes look fantastic.

The music is great too and I love all the tracks in this anime. I still have the music stuck inside my head after many years later and I can remember nearly all the lyrics to Hurricane when I re-watch the first episode. The dub is alright because the voice acting was wooden at times. I do think they did a good job on staying true to the Japanese scripts unlike most dubs at the time. However I would recommended to watch it in subbed.

What made Bubblegum Crisis great to me was the dynamic between all the main characters. The Knight Sabers have great personalities to them in my opinion and it's hard for me to pick a favorite on which main character that I like the most. The supporting cast could have been better, but I did enjoy Leon. I really like the personally of his character. The GENOM Corporation was pretty interesting, but I felt like we could have learn more about them.

The anime also had a good social commentary on the relationship between man and machine though. Maybe not as deep as Ghost in the Shell, but I still thought they handle it pretty well. I admit the ending did kinda suck, but they never finish the last 5 episodes.

Overall, Bubblegum Crisis is very entertaining to watch from start to finish. This anime is not perfect, but you do get cool main characters, great action, awesome music and nice animation. If this anime had a proper conclusion, I would rate it higher. It was nice re-watching this anime again. Grade: 8/10

I plan to re-watch A.D Police (1990 OVA) since I haven't seen it in a very long time. I also plan to watch Bubblegum Crash which is the only Bubblegum Crisis title that I never saw growing up. I also will watch Scramble Wars too.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:49 am Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
I admit the ending did kinda suck, but they never finish the last 5 episodes.

If you can tolerate a notable decline in the visual splendour, you may wish to progress to Bubblegum Crash next. The main conflict of the original series is eventually addressed within it, albeit without any subtlety or grace.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:14 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Spawn29 wrote:
I admit the ending did kinda suck, but they never finish the last 5 episodes.

If you can tolerate a notable decline in the visual splendour, you may wish to progress to Bubblegum Crash next. The main conflict of the original series is eventually addressed within it, albeit without any subtlety or grace.

How is the TV series? I own it but I haven't watched it yet.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:34 am Reply with quote
I remember liking the 2040 series over the original series for having a better story. I remember it went over how the Knight Sabers where created and more history on GENOM. I plan to rewatch the 2040 series soon as well. Tokyo 2040 was one of my favorite anime in Middle School back in the early 2000's next to Trigun and Inuyasha.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 969 of 1062