• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - All Day Long

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
The contest, first thing that came to mind was Five Nights at Freddy's.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Paul Soth wrote:

On the other, there are those who feel that Bayonetta is depicted as being in charge of her sexual agency and is also seen as a celebration of camp sensibilities. This article brings up some of these points: http://gaygamer.net/2014/10/bayonetta-the-great-exception/

Thank you for the link! Never played Bayonetta so I can't comment specifically but as a woman (and a gay one), i think female camp is great. Love cutie honey and Barbarella for all their silliness. Depends on how the character's written. I'd rather see sexy but empowered women like Cutie Honey over (relatively) sexualized weak little airheads like the way they wrote Samus in other M, or generic harem girls who have no ambition aside from making lunch for generic anime boy. It's actually a step up from the submissive moe waifus Japan usually produces (consequentially, Bayonetta sold terribly in Japan.)

On the flip side, a good game with a non sexualized female protagonist has done just fine (Tomb Raider reboot). So why can't we have both? Then again, as this article pointed out... gamer culture has bigger problems right now -_-;
Jyuubi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote
what's your email, how do i send you my story for the contest?
toddc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Jyuubi wrote:
what's your email, how do i send you my story for the contest?

It's toddciolek(AT)gmail.com. There should be a link to it in the last paragraph of the column's opening bit.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
It won't happen in Japan

You make it sound like Japan not pandering to social agendas is a bad thing. They're the last bastion of hope for creative freedom in gaming anymore.

Polygon's review of Bayonetta 2 was funny, it's like they were surprised why the game was still sexualized and Platinum didn't 'learn their lesson' as if there's a lesson to learn when it comes to art or something.

thenix wrote:
Of course gamersgate is republican conservative's fault. I have no idea how this has anything to do with right left politics at all but blame anything that's bad in life on the party you don't associate with.

People like to make everything about politics. Calling GamerGate conservative is kinda funny though because hey're all for sex and freedom and junk, that's more liberal than anything else. Liberals are usually the ones not offended by sexual freedom. Conservatives would be the ones pushing for the whole "video games make people violent/sexist grr!" thing.

Also Shadows of Mordor destoys Tolkien's lore far worse than Peter Jackson ever did. Paid reviews for it are nothing new, and im surprised people still think people complaining about gaming press/journalists are tin-foil hat crazies.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:07 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
thenix wrote:
Of course gamersgate is republican conservative's fault. I have no idea how this has anything to do with right left politics at all but blame anything that's bad in life on the party you don't associate with.
At no point did he blame Republicans for gamergate. The reference was to those conservative pundits who have latched onto the controversy to further their agenda.

Have there been any "conservative" pundits that have contributed to the "cause" of Gamer Gate besides Breitbart's Associate Editor in London, Milo Yiannopoulos? Glancing through some of the guy's professional history, he seems so hack-y a guy that it's hard to imagine there are so many other "conservative" contributors like him that make Breitbart the "right-wing sewage station" Todd claims. By that measure, I'd say Deadspin and much of Gawker Media can just as much be 'left wing sewage stations' themselves, but whatever, people are entitled to at least some self-serving political statements in their fun games editorial column, I guess. Really don't care much for the Gamer Gate movement, if the little wading I've done in its waters here, twitter, or elsewhere are any indication; think enough crap's been done in its name, though, I can say that much.

Feeling somewhat ambivalent about the contest. Drakengard, Castlevania and Yakuza are pretty solid-looking choices, for sure. But *man*, that Fester's Quest cover is scary for quite un-cool reasons!

Quote:
Anyone can enter except for anime-industry people and professional writers. However, I'd suggest that winners of this year's other X Button contests abstain from jumping into another one so soon.

What if people who enter this contest "only" won an X Button contest from before 2014, though-- would they still be considered?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
By that measure, I'd say Deadspin and much of Gawker Media can just as much be 'left wing sewage stations' themselves, but whatever, people are entitled to at least some self-serving political statements in their fun games editorial column

Any Gawker site complaining about overt political views is like an arsonist complaining about forest fires. People citing Deadspin as a "fair and unbiased look at GamerGate" is facepalm worthy. But really, no site is going to NOT spin it in their favor, that's how websites survive. Rationality and neutrality don't pay the bills, click baiting and sensationalism does. For the record I don't really identify with any party lest people accuse me of being some devious conservabot.

GamerGate as a whole I don't really care anymore, or at least I don't care about the name itself. I still think journalism sucks and don't trust any of the big sites, but the term has become the opposite of Shonen Jump Weekly. Nothing in Anita's threat letter mentioned GamerGate but people insist they did it and were behind it, and any troll/crazy is a person I disagree with politically. Ironically, the same people who jumped all over GamerGate demanding proof of all the accusations on Zoe and other journalists being behind shady thing. Evidence is only required when your side in the defense chair. They're all just different sides of the same coin as of now, meaningless generalization labels.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You make it sound like Japan not pandering to social agendas is a bad thing. They're the last bastion of hope for creative freedom in gaming anymore.
How can one person make such a disgustingly stupid, self serving, and narrow minded post?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
IanC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I dislike Anita. I think Gamergate is a load of idiots that need to grow up.

Bayonetta 2 is sounding incredible. The reviews have made it my most eagerly awaited game for quite a while. So though I'm getting Samurai Wariors 4 and Bayonetta 2, I think SW4 won't be played for a while…
eragon2890

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
Paul Soth wrote:

On the other, there are those who feel that Bayonetta is depicted as being in charge of her sexual agency and is also seen as a celebration of camp sensibilities. This article brings up some of these points: http://gaygamer.net/2014/10/bayonetta-the-great-exception/

Thank you for the link! Never played Bayonetta so I can't comment specifically but as a woman (and a gay one), i think female camp is great. Love cutie honey and Barbarella for all their silliness. Depends on how the character's written. I'd rather see sexy but empowered women like Cutie Honey over (relatively) sexualized weak little airheads like the way they wrote Samus in other M, or generic harem girls who have no ambition aside from making lunch for generic anime boy. It's actually a step up from the submissive moe waifus Japan usually produces (consequentially, Bayonetta sold terribly in Japan.)

On the flip side, a good game with a non sexualized female protagonist has done just fine (Tomb Raider reboot). So why can't we have both? Then again, as this article pointed out... gamer culture has bigger problems right now -_-;

But you know, the main reasons I like anime so much as I do (total otaku Anime hyper) are moe and harem shows. Also sci-fi with mecha's and cool fights Anime hyper

But yeah, I L-O-V-E cute, happy, feel-good, moe shows with lots of humors and characters so cute you almost faint if you see all of them walking around at your local anime convention! And nothing's better than seeing your waifu IRL Anime hyper Nah but seriously, moe is awesome, and what's even better is the biggest anime convention in my country has for the past few years had a cute theme every yeah meaning lots of cute schoolgirls, schoolboys, catgirls, and catboys. Awesome Very Happy
It's also a cute excuse for me to wear my Len cosplay with kitty ears and tail, because he's just soooo kawaii ;3

And funny semxy harems like to love ru (favourite anime ever!) are also just awesome Anime hyper Especially to love ru with those awesome tails they have, and Lala's crazy inventions, and momo being super cute and a huge pervert like myself Anime hyper

And I don't know about games. The chances of my buying a game definitely improve greatly (same goes for anime) if it has some fanservice to spice things up a bit. I did not buy the latest tomb raider, not even right now even tough it's on sale for almost nothing, it just doesn't appeal to me that much... I will probably be buying an entire wii u just to play bayonetta 2 tough! Anime hyper And I love the senran kagura games (also bought the anime, and a wallscroll), and that's a pervy harem about big-boobied girls who get more powerfull the less clothing they wear. Anime hyper

Basically, I just mean to say, if they stop making cute awesome moe waifus, the anime industry's fanbose = profits would run away screaming. Exit anime. that's a nice thought if you like current anime like I do tough i understand it might make other people a bit desperate. I think there should be something of everything, than everynyan is happy Anime hyper

Last edited by eragon2890 on Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hoppy800

Lavnovice9 wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:
It won't happen in Japan

It's a double edged sword with social and political agendas depending on what kind of agenda is presented in the game, a more Shonen Jump Weekly oriented game wouldn't sell in Japan (however if localized, it would sell decently at the very least if it's good), however a more nationalistic game will sell in Japan even with most gamers in Japan not even caring about politics. It's best to side with caution when it comes to Japan because if a bunch of developers tackled a project with Shonen Jump Weekly themes and it didn't sell (or worse didn't even bother to localize the game), it could be the end of the market there at least for consoles and handhelds. Every bad sale of a console or handheld title means that F2P mobile games comes closer and closer to taking over which will be horrible for the gaming industry. If the mobile market crashed and developers wanted to take risks again on consoles and maybe the PC for creativity then they should at least give it a try.
Leland Lee

varmintx wrote:
Fronzel wrote:
I thought the Playstation TV was going to use a PS4 controller's weird touchpad thing to approximate touch functions in Vita games (there's supposed to be a $150 version that comes with a controller, right?). Did I just make that up?
DS4s are compatible, but they simply emulate a PS3 controller. The touchpad is not used.

Yet. They've stated that they plan to implement touch functions, but it'll be in a non-essential capacity. Which means still no Gravity Rush.

In any case, I actually picked my PSTV this tuesday, and I love the hell out of this thing. I can finally play Dissidia without my hands cramping up after 15 minutes.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:

Nothing in Anita's threat letter mentioned GamerGate but people insist they did it and were behind it,

I'm just gonna let this comment from another site do the talking for me:

"'But but but but but show me where this has anything to do with gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamers.'

Uh, who the f*** else is foaming at the mouth about Anita Sarkeesian? Oh that's right, f***ing no one."

Most a person I disagree with politically's don't care about Sarkeesian because they're not gamers. The only people who would...are GG'ers.
krelyan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:13 pm Reply with quote
So basically the breakdown on the PS TV is?

Cons: No Tearaway and Gravity Rush

Pros: P4 Golden on TV and a Benjamin in my wallet

Tough choice Confused
Kakugo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Since a random barb was thrown in its general direction: The only reason few #gamergate supporters whinged about SHADOWS OF MORDOR's ridiculous promo deals was because, for once, the gaming press actually did their job and covered the controversy. Jim Sterling of The Escapist did a 7 minute video last Monday, and Kotaku posted a long winded piece the next day.

Why would Gamer Gate complain on twitter about this if they were getting exactly what they asked for - an honest, unbiased presentation of the facts where it concerns their interests, in this case a broken contract insisting that all coverage be positive?

Anyway, looking forward to Bayonetta 2, and the remix (or whatever they're calling it) of the first game as well... damn broken PS3 ports. I've had a Wii U for a year now - between that, Hyrule Warriors and Smash, it's good to see that investment finally pay off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7