• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation Solicitations (Crunchyroll Solicitations: June 2022 & beyond)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lem

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:49 pm Reply with quote
@zrdb Along with a couple of other Kickstarters this year I completely missed the one for Escaflowne. But then again I would have done so without even trying simply because I'm not a hardcore dub fan. I'm certainly not against a good dub, it's just that I started enjoying anime in Japanese so that's usually my first choice for listening.

But even so the UK set was the one I first planned to buy, and wasn't even aware of Funi even having Escalfowne. They're certainly not alone in R1 (looking at you Sentai), but that's probably because by now I have a small collection of things like Dragon Ball episodes on a Birdy Mighty disc and a nice crooked Psycho Pass Box to name just a couple?

@willag
I see that the TRSI and RACS prices for Escaflowne are similar now.

@covnam
TRSI still has the The Melancholy CE available for pre-order.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:23 pm Reply with quote
lem wrote:

TRSI still has the The Melancholy CE available for pre-order.

Yes, but it is out of stock and they did put a notice about the price, which they usually don't do, so something might be up. Just thought I'd mention it.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
lem wrote:
^Looks like Funi underestimated the long time fan and collector mentality demand for such an "old" title again? Or they just have to play it safe. Can't fault that. Still glad they're even releasing it for newer fans (Gawd how I wish I was a newer fan).

And so much for waiting for a review of any vid quality issues. Not willing to pay the increased price from RACS, and definitely not the increased amount a reseller will be wanting to take advantage of, so it looks like the chances of obtaining the Funi Collector's Edition at a reasonable expensive price (as opposed to a stupid expensive price) are getting slimmer by the day. At least I have the Zone B UK edition on pre-order.

Well, at least my copy is guaranteed via the Kickstarter campaign. Even if it isn't I've owned the show since 2001 on DVD (It was the first anime I ever bought on DVD) so I already have a copy. I just bought the Funi release because of the new scenes, Blu-ray, and the space the new version will save on my overcrowded shelves. (The 8-disc set+action figure I have now is really nice but it's gigantic.)
lem

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
..Well, at least my copy is guaranteed via the Kickstarter campaign.
Hey glad you were able to get the release you wanted and save some shelf space at the same time.

I first bought Vol 1 of Escaflowne in 2004 at Amazon US and I ended up buying that double box set with the cheapo Bandai fig deal twice. Before that all of my anime was from RACS. Didn't get hooked on TRSI until 2007 (the first R1/Zone A blue for Jin Roh with the storyboard book). In 2007 a nice Art Box for Black Lagoon "forced" me to learn how to "import" stuff and try out Amz JP.

And thanks to a coworker, *2001 was the first time I knowingly bought and viewed an anime title. Back then it was a "Major" kick to the upside of my fat head as to the revelation of what the medium could offer when treated with some love and respect. And of course, a budget to match. That was Ghost in the Shell, the movie.

Escaflowne was the first series that I didn't want to stop viewing once I started. It was just one disc after the other. So my first marathon or binge viewing before I knew that was a thing. So at this point it's just a whole lot of nostalgia for that time and place in my fandom.

Edit:

Last edited by lem on Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:59 pm Reply with quote
My first real viewing of it was a marathon too. My friend and I from highschool had both watched the aborted TV broadcast of it here, and wanted to see the rest, but none of us could afford it. So the first thing I did with some leftover grad money was buy the show. We made a an all day event out of it and were finally able to finish it.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Just a heads up for anyone who bought or was planning to buy Funimation's Code Geass release. Its been reported on Fandom Post that some of the CE boxes are crooked and furthermore the R2 dub audio maybe in mono.

Sensuifu wrote:
R2's English audio track is in mono (all episodes), the entire release- all 4 discs. S1 is fine; both language tracks have correct audio.

BlueAlexander93 wrote:
In short, we have a situation where the English stereo audio has been downmixed from 2 channels to 1 lone mono channel, then panned to fit in the stereo spectrum. It's a stereo track, only by technicality, but it's still sending out mono audio to the left and right channels. And that's a pretty big screwup to make.

Hayate Kurogane wrote:
It's never a true mono audio mix in the sense that it's one center channel only. It's basically as BlueAlexander93 has described above. Thus if you don't have an ear for it or a decent sound system, you may easily miss it, particularly if you're going by whatever your player or setup identifies (which will still say stereo or something, because it technically is).

Good job, FUNimation.

*slow clap*
lem

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:37 am Reply with quote
^I may buy it again. I know I've had it in the "need to, would like to finish" pile for years now.
And apparently there are issues with the Bandai sets I already have, so yeah.

The audio thing seems odd though. "It's a stereo track technically" isn't that splitting hairs?

Besides it's not like I'm buying a 10 pound stupid expensive blu-ray set for it. And they'll probably send out replacement discs for this as needed? or delay it?
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I recently rewatched my Bandai anime legend sets and the visuals looked pretty good, the non-HD audio was a little weak, because...well non-HD. I really enjoyed the first season, but the second season wasn't as good for me and made me hesitate picking up Funi's CE. I was also kind of underwhelmed by what is supposed to be a "Collector's Edition". Besides the lack of "stuff" or creativity with the packaging it seems that the artcards are separate and don't fit in the artbox, which annoys me.

Quote:
The audio thing seems odd though. "It's a stereo track technically" isn't that splitting hairs?
My impression, and I could be wrong, is that Funi accidentally turned a stereo track into mono and now you are getting that played on both left and right channels (stereo). This means that if you have separate sounds in right and left in the original unmodified track you may lose that separation or possibly the sound itself. So you are getting sound out of say both speakers (stereo technically), but you are losing the discrete quality of that sound. Someone in the forums did say that you may miss it unless you have a good sound system. So I'm guessing but it seems for people that just listen over headphones on their computer or maybe their inbuilt tv speakers they may not notice. Funimation has already responded to a few people and basically said that it sounds fine to them. So there wont be replacement discs.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:48 pm Reply with quote
According to an email I just got from Rightstuf, the Code Geass LE is already out of print! They still have copies, but it sounds like that's it. Damn was that fast... I don't see it on Funi's website either. Still on Amazon for now too.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:36 am Reply with quote

I think there was a lot of pent up demand for Code Geass in general and especially on BD. I think the show is in the Top 20 here and on MAL and that's pretty good for something that is 10 years old. I think that Funi probably hit it out of the park with this one. The Collector's Edition maybe out of print already, but they got exactly what they were looking for. I don't think this is a case of Stein's Gate where they might have underestimated demand for the LE. I'll be a little sad about passing on it, but not that sad as the CE just didn't tickle my collector's bone sufficiently.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote
I already watched my Code Geass CE, and I honestly didn't notice much wrong with the dub audio in R2. I have a basic surround system, and only episodes 13 and 14 from R2 sounded weird. I also noticed higher audio levels in some episodes from both seasons.

Despite that I am content with my purchase. Some audio issues is not a deal breaker for me. The image quality is good, and I like to have the whole thing in 8 BD's, as opposed to the 14 DVD's in my Bandai Entertainment boxes.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Yep, I just got mine in, it's a very obvious crooked box. Like, if I put it upside-down, it's fine, it's flat on the top. But on the bottom... at least it stands I guess? But Funi really needs to check these damn things before releasing them en-masse. I've left a note on their Facebook page, see if they'll respond. I mean, I could bug Righstuf, where I bought it from, but I'd feel bad, since it's not their fault and it's an LE that's OOP.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:56 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I already watched my Code Geass CE, and I honestly didn't notice much wrong with the dub audio in R2. I have a basic surround system, and only episodes 13 and 14 from R2 sounded weird. I also noticed higher audio levels in some episodes from both seasons.

Despite that I am content with my purchase. Some audio issues is not a deal breaker for me.
I think its one of those YMMV situations. For some people its not going to be a big enough deal to complain or get up in arms about. For me its a case by case situation. I'm not an audiophile, but many of Funi's releases have low audio on their dubs to the point where I'm forced to crank the volume. It definitely irritates me, but I usually can mostly ignore it. In contrast, the 25th Anniversary release of GITS had a few missing sound effects, screwed up audio in a few scenes in the dub and changed the subs to an inferior translation with mistakes. It made me want to punch a hole thru a wall. Its a favorite movie of mine so it really rubbed me wrong, but for some people they didn't even notice.

classicalzawa wrote:
Yep, I just got mine in, it's a very obvious crooked box...and it's an LE that's OOP.
Yea, most of the people I've seen that have said they got a crooked box aren't going to bother to return it because its OOP. They are afraid they aren't going to be able to get a replacement anyways. So far, it looks like Funi is going to be able to skate on this one unlike the Psychopass LE that was crooked and didn't fit its materials well. Really, this shouldn't be happening.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:14 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:
Yep, I just got mine in, it's a very obvious crooked box...and it's an LE that's OOP.
Yea, most of the people I've seen that have said they got a crooked box aren't going to bother to return it because its OOP. They are afraid they aren't going to be able to get a replacement anyways. So far, it looks like Funi is going to be able to skate on this one unlike the Psychopass LE that was crooked and didn't fit its materials well. Really, this shouldn't be happening.

Well when I shoved it onto the shelf in-between straight ones, it seems to hold up ok. And yeah, everything fits in it at least.
But Funi really needs to check these things better, why does no other publisher have problems with this? They're far from the only publisher to make chipboard boxes, Viz, Nozomi, Sentai, NISA, no one else is having trouble with this, and Nozomi and NISA are way smaller companies. And Viz frequently seems to put out videos and/or photos of them checking over the proofs and prototypes before going full scale, does Funi just not do that or something? And other companies, on occasion, issue apologies for delays on things because of disc or replication errors, but Funi just shoves that stuff out anyway and enough people call them out then they fix it. There's a reason they're my least favorite US anime publisher these days (though it's heavily dependent on my personal tastes of 80s mecha love as well)
lem

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Having enjoyed well over 100 of their physical releases it's been amusing to say the least.

They've tried several different things to save money and to appeal to the fans all the while trying to make it more affordable. And sadly, as the history starts to reveal, they can't have both.

They've gone from Tenchi in paper to Basilisk in wood. Desert Punk in metal to Ouran High as a digi-pak. Yeah, they've been all over the map. Different size boxes, and thanks to blu-ray, throw away paper slip cover pieces to make them appear the same size as a standard dvd case. From School locker to crooked box and all points in between. It goes on and on, but there you have it.

You can't say they haven't tried though. I know that overall I'm quite satisfied. They've done a LOT for fans in R1. Ask anyone that was collecting singles for When They Cry, Welcome to the NHK, Pumpkin Scissors, etc., Little things like that count. And just elevating the level of dubbing above and beyond the sad days of CPM's Garaga, that in and of itself earns them a gold medal.

But sadly, what's happening recently is that they've consistently impacted their reputation with crap like a crooked box. To the point where everyone just rolls their eyes, "slow claps" and then proceeds to lower their standards. All of which can easily continue as acceptable practice today thanks to the viability of streaming.

In essence they're getting their butts handed to them by this virtual bandwagon. Never mind the other physical release competitors that have managed to survive in R1.

That's how it goes though. It's called change and other dirty words.

In sum, not enough numbers of fans care anymore about physical releases (see exhibit A: bare naked shelf life) to impact the overall numbers. They don't have to. It doesn't have to matter when you have another choice that is easier, costs less and takes up zero space.

ok. done lamenting. got too much anime to watch, too much manga to enjoy and new cds to savor.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 46