• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Free! Eternal Summer Anime to Get English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
It's 2014. We should be well-past the point where anime gets dubbed out of order.

You would hope so. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, bless Funimation. I already pre-order their Cowboy Bebop Vinyl Exclusive, so I'll add this and the eventual Michiko to Hatchin Complete Boxset for next year.

I'm calling it now.

Eric Vale as either Makoto or Rin, J. Micheal Tatum as Rei, Monica Rial as Gou (oh PLEASE let her be Gou or Catlin Glass), Laura Baily as Ama-sensei, Patrick Seitz as Sousuke, Ian Sinclair as Coach Sasabe, Josh Grelle as Nagisa or Ai, Joel McDonald as Momo, Mike McFarland as Seijuro, and Bryce Papenbrook as Haruka because apparently he's the new "I must voice the main character of every anime".
He's the protagonist for like five shows so far? Confused
sakurablossom143

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
It's 2014. We should be well-past the point where anime gets dubbed out of order.

Anyway, bless Funimation. I already pre-order their Cowboy Bebop Vinyl Exclusive, so I'll add this and the eventual Michiko to Hatchin Complete Boxset for next year.

I'm calling it now.

Eric Vale as either Makoto or Rin, J. Micheal Tatum as Rei, Monica Rial as Gou (oh PLEASE let her be Gou or Catlin Glass), Laura Baily as Ama-sensei, Patrick Seitz as Sousuke, Ian Sinclair as Coach Sasabe, Josh Grelle as Nagisa or Ai, Joel McDonald as Momo, Mike McFarland as Seijuro, and Bryce Papenbrook as Haruka because apparently he's the new "I must voice the main character of every anime".

If we're on the topic of potential dub casts...

I'd like: Haru --> Aaron Dismuke; Makoto --> Todd Haberkorn; Nagisa --> (He is really hard, because of his voice and looks...) He's either a Greg Ayres or a Josh Grelle...could be different though...; Rei --> J. Michael Tatum; Gou --> (I totally want to her voice, but I'm no VA hahaha)... but I guess it'd be Monica Rial given she uses her voice like she does for Renge...; I'd totally want Bryce to do Momo xD... but who knows what they choose!
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:04 pm Reply with quote
So everyone agrees that J Michael Tatum would make an awesome Rei?
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

I'm calling it now.

Nice list! It's so hard to think about a good fit for Nagisa's English voice. The only person I could think up was Grelle too, but I'm not sure. He's probably the best fit out of all the current voice actors associated with Funi, but I still don't see him fitting with Nagisa that well. I disagree with Bryce being Haru though. His voice isn't deep enough. And I can see Monica being Gou!

And I never realized how out of touch with anime I am until now because I barely remember how any of these people sound except for Grelle and Bryce because I'm currently watching AoT on Toonami lol.
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna laugh my butt off, if we find out someone else - maybe Sentai - grabs season one. LOL
Different voice cast ahoy...and I say "Go!"
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Well that cool but not having the first season seem to be pointless
dizzon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm not particularly interested in Free! but after reading Answerman earlier today to where we are now it's been pretty fascinating. I mean, apparently people have been asking about season one for some time now and all of the sudden the cat's out of the bag. FUNi felt they had to respond after a flux of questions so it'll be interesting to see if Crunchyroll responds.
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:07 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm shocked. Wow. Never expected this show to get it. I'm not against dubs or anything but if I rewatched it, I'd still stay to subs because the seiyuus are already perfect.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:23 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
So everyone agrees that J Michael Tatum would make an awesome Rei?

Yes! It would be *adjusts glasses* quite beautiful.

KENZICHI wrote:
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
'my long VA wish list'

Nice list! It's so hard to think about a good fit for Nagisa's English voice. The only person I could think up was Grelle too, but I'm not sure. He's probably the best fit out of all the current voice actors associated with Funi, but I still don't see him fitting with Nagisa that well. I disagree with Bryce being Haru though. His voice isn't deep enough. And I can see Monica being Gou!

I don't want Bryce as Haru either (I actually agree with sakurablossom143 with Aaron Dismuke voicing him; I liked his performance as Furuya in Sankarea ) but, I figure that Bryce would be a back up. Nagisa and Ai would be the hardest since they look and sound quite young but, I like Grelle's Armin so that's good. I'm torn with Eric Vale as either Rin or Makoto because he has played lovable jerks and dorks before so it's a tossup. Also, I can't think of anyone else for now. -///-
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:38 am Reply with quote
Hellwarden wrote:
Think Crunchy will do the cool thing, and let Funi make a dub?

Hell no.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:58 am Reply with quote
That's awesome. I like Free! quite a bit (especially Eternal Summer) and love dubs so... yeah, right up my alley.

I hope the first season will get it soon too then, it's a bit awkward having only the sequel dubbed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:15 am Reply with quote
i have a feeling that they would have mignona play as rin which unfortunately will have some of the fangirls up in arms in a way that would make the whole thing about him getting casted as tamaki look like a walk in the park.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sakurablossom143

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:36 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
i have a feeling that they would have mignona play as rin which unfortunately will have some of the fangirls up in arms in a way that would make the whole thing about him getting casted as tamaki look like a walk in the park.

I so forgot to mention who I'd prefer to play Rin in my potential dub cast ahahaha... I'm so bad... I'd prefer someone new maybe? Or perhaps someone like... oh, man...I can't really picture anyone really... the only face actually came to mind was Vic's...truth be told... He's really good at apply that emotional aspect... especially during Rin's crying scenes...

BTW... anyone ever stop to think about what if the guys from 50% off actually dubbed the actual series (with the actual trans. xD)...
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:31 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Hellwarden wrote:
Think Crunchy will do the cool thing, and let Funi make a dub?

Hell no.

Yeah, pretty much what I would say. It's not a matter of CR approaching Funimation and they've already had the {streaming+ physical} license for years and are perfectly fine with sitting on it. The reason for it being a "no" at this point would be it sets a bad precedent and it raises the question of what else they might have.

On the other hand, I would it put it past them to try to get some streaming exclusives from Funimation in exchange. Money? I've looked into CR's set-up and it's very money friendly in regard to Sentai and self licensed titles. They even charge for AoA titles other legal sites offer for free on the first day, it's quite the pirate operation.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:43 am Reply with quote
I thought that it was weird that Funi licensed the second season but not the first one. So now we know why that was. Here's to hoping that Funi and CR will work something out, because I'd love to own the first season as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3