• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Log Horizon 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
natchu96

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:36 am Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
All of that was from the light novels and none of it was filler.

Those chapters must have been pretty boring then...

If you expected action then you should be watching Sword Art Online or something, because this is not an action series in the slightest.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:07 am Reply with quote
natchu96 wrote:
_Cyphon_ wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
All of that was from the light novels and none of it was filler.

Those chapters must have been pretty boring then...

If you expected action then you should be watching Sword Art Online or something, because this is not an action series in the slightest.

I wasn't expecting action, but I wasn't expecting boring slice of life either. What I'm looking for in this show is politics, tactics, strategy, and problem solving. If you guys like to see a group of five kids who can't beat monsters their own level frolicking their way on a journey, then I won't criticize you. But to me, the slice of life moments are meaningless.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Can somebody please tell me whether this show is better than Sword Art Online?
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:31 pm Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:

That depends entirely on what you're looking for in the show. They're very different series, mostly dealing with different things. The similarities largely end at "set in an MMORPG/what used to be an MMORPG".
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:37 pm Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:

That would depend. Comedy and strategic thinking wise, Log Horizon would win. However, action and romance wise, Sword Art Online is ten times better. They might both be about gamers trapped in a video game world, but they are very different. To me personally, I would rate SAO much higher than Log Horizon. Well, the first season that is. Gun Gale Online was horrible. If you're going to watch SAO, I would reccomend stopping after the first season's end, then jump to Mother's Rosario's arc. Log Horizon is good, but only for about half the show. The other half is completely unnecessary slice of life. I know I said, "Comedy wise Log Horizon wins", but it really depends on the invididual whether or not you laugh at its intended comedic moments. For me, no.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
A lot of it comes down to what you're looking for in a show. If you're looking for video game-themed action, then SAO is probably better for you. If you're looking for something more character driven and focused on character development and world building, than give Log Horizon a shot.

Of course, if you have problems with triggers or an otherwise adverse reaction to spoiler[attempted rapes], stay far away from SAO.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Yes, this show is most definitely better than SAO. I'm not saying SAO isn't worth watching, mind you. SAO has a lot of ups and downs. Some aspects of it are really cool, and some aspects are terrible. As others mentioned, the character development in SAO is pretty awful. SAO has better action, animation and visual appeal than Log Horizon though. So if that's what you are after, SAO can be good for you. If you want something more intelligent with more depth and character building, Log Horizon wins hands down.

Also, similar to Nick, I will dearly miss Log Horizon. It has undoubtedly been one of the best and smartest shows I've been able to watch over the last couple years. Maybe they'll make a third season, who knows. We didn't know they were going to do season 2 until they surprised us with it.
MysticMew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:08 pm Reply with quote
So will I. Especially considering I only discovered and caught up with this series around Christmas. I really, really hope it will not end up one of these anime that sit around unfinished forever, we have far too many of those and whatever negative you might say about Log Horizon, it deserves better (and more).

That being said, opinions about this episode seem to differ... Personally I think the straight A is a little much but it was good enough for me at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xagor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:26 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

Also, similar to Nick, I will dearly miss Log Horizon. It has undoubtedly been one of the best and smartest shows I've been able to watch over the last couple years. Maybe they'll make a third season, who knows. We didn't know they were going to do season 2 until they surprised us with it.

The problem is running out of content. At this point they're pretty much releasing new episodes and chapters of Log Horizon simultaneously.
Via_01

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:06 am Reply with quote
I'll miss this show.

Yeah, a third season is a big possibility. Log Horizon sells well, after all, not only the light novels, but the merchandise as well. It's also aired in a time-slot for normal humans who sleep at normal times, so that's a plus.

The only problem is that the show caught up to the original material, so we'll probably have to either wait for a while, or put up with some filler.
natchu96

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:26 am Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:
I'll miss this show.

Yeah, a third season is a big possibility. Log Horizon sells well, after all, not only the light novels, but the merchandise as well. It's also aired in a time-slot for normal humans who sleep at normal times, so that's a plus.

The only problem is that the show caught up to the original material, so we'll probably have to either wait for a while, or put up with some filler.

Caught up doesn't quite describe it . . . I think they actually started adapting future material for a while lol

The thing with the scrubs and the wyverns was vol. 8, which came out last September. Vol. 9 was actually the Kanami arc (I presume done in chronological order in the anime for the sake of continuity), which according to wikipedia actually came out on March 27 . . . you know, like yesterday. Depending on your timezone. They literally haven't published this moth incident yet.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
natchu96 wrote:
Via_01 wrote:
I'll miss this show.

Caught up doesn't quite describe it . . . I think they actually started adapting future material for a while lol

The thing with the scrubs and the wyverns was vol. 8, which came out last September. Vol. 9 was actually the Kanami arc (I presume done in chronological order in the anime for the sake of continuity), which according to wikipedia actually came out on March 27 . . . you know, like yesterday. Depending on your timezone. They literally haven't published this moth incident yet.

This moth incident was already published as web novel volume... Mamare writes each ln first as web chapters and than publishes them as LN books once he finishes his web.... S3 is coming Mamare left a little message at the end that they will be back....we just have to wait for more material to come out which at this rate would be in 1 to 2 years time .
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:
I'll miss this show.

You're not alone. What a ride it has been, what a ride. And hopefully there's still a long, long, road ahead... Smile
Both of my favorite shows, Dog Days" and this, wrapping up on upbeat note. Today has been a good day.

Quote:
Log Horizon sells well, after all, not only the light novels, but the merchandise as well. It's also aired in a time-slot for normal humans who sleep at normal times, so that's a plus.
I'm glad for that, this show deserves that. Smile ...Though I do recall the disc sales weren't all that spectacular?

Once Yen Press gets around releasing their translation of the light novels, I'll be slurping those up as well...

I did enjoy both SAO and Log Horizon, but where SAO tasted like a sweet candy bar with artificial flavor, this greeted you with the aroma of a finest piece of blueberry pie, rich with berries and freshly from the oven.
MysticMew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I really hope it's not "The End" (that was nasty there at the end, at least give us a "To Be Continued") or such... I already said so but for a show I'd just discovered recently to end like this would be a shame.

Despite that, it was a good wrap-up episode. I've seen far worse season or series finals than this one. It had everything and everyone right there and for once even a very enjoyable battle on top. Gosh, even Akatsuki got to do something (in fact she was part of the finishing blow!), so I can live with this. If the worst comes, I feel this serves as a far better open end episodes as some anime that just stop and never get finished... but let's hope for the best.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:17 pm Reply with quote
...so is nobody gonna discuss the severed arm Crusty is carrying around(and alive somehow) or are we just gonna pretend we didn't see it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 14