• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: CROSS ANGE Rondo of Angel and Dragon

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
This is somewhat off thread subject, but Valvrave didn't need a resolving arc because it had been building in what the future held throughout its entire run. We just had to see how it got to a point where that could have started.

I haven't seen as much of a "loose cannon" experience from CA yet as what Valvrave had, but it's still early.

I suppose so but at the same time, I think the criticism of there being too many poorly executed deaths and twists still is present.

I suppose the resolving arc would be the scenes in the future but honestly, the loose cannon nature of the twists and deaths made it very hard to give a damn since it felt like it was just throwing stuff into a blender and shredding it up. It made it hard to be very invested in any of the other pilots or any of their friends. In addition, episode 10 still leaves a sour taste in my mouth in how brazen they were trying for a shock twist. I can understand the plot structure they are going for but they would need to have developed the characters more than they did in the show for it to have any impact. I did not care about Haruto's final moments and I did not care about the person who died and inspired the third pilot.

In my mind, loose cannon antics work best in episodic shows like Shirokuma cafe and Panty and Stocking. Most episodes are singular in story so there is no expectation of anything connecting in any significant ways to each other.

To put it in other words, what would happen if you tried to fully connect all the episodes of Carnival Phantasm into a singular plot structure? I bet it would end up being a mess with everyone confused.

P.S. sorry for the odd structure of the post, head is a bit off
bobob101

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm totally expecting a yuri scene between maid and Ange. And I really hate those comments by ange over the preview
lhernan02

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Once again I agree 100% with Key, although I would rate it C++ (I just can't rate this type of show above a C-level). It manages to put in all the BS that goes on with these shows and still make it plausible. Nothing that happened this week is impossible or out of character. Ange did not turn into Angelisse on sight of Momoka, but she did acknowledge her as someone valuable to her by buying her (she was dead for sure once she refused to run away). Also, whatever Jill is planning, Ange is quickly earning a starring role (and it looks natural, once again the show is checking all the boxes, but making it flow smoothly).

Right now I would like to thank all the people that spent Eps 1 & 2 hyperventilating over THE MISOGINY, THE EVIL. I wasn't even planning to check this show out. The moment I saw Mechas and Dragons I thought Dragonaut Part 2 and wiped it off my radar. Thanks to all those people (including some who should know better) going crazy, I decided to see what the noise was about and have stumbled into one of the premier examples of the action-fanservice genre. It is not a great show, but it takes itself seriously (except for the hilariously self-aware previews) and so far is up there with Freezing and IkkiT.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quote
lhernan02 wrote:
Once again I agree 100% with Key, although I would rate it C++ (I just can't rate this type of show above a C-level)..

I also am in synch with Key's review (no sarcasm here!) but I would rate this at B++ one full grade higher than you. Why you ask? spoiler[(or not)] Because for what other issues and problems it might have it is still highly entertaining. We might have doubts about how plausibly Ange's character is developing but we all still seem interested in what happens to her and what she will do. And in spite of everything we are somehow rooting for her.

So I think this anime should get credit for that.

One interesting thing about the fan service art. I notice that Ange's body type seems to change from scene to scene. In her bedroom with Momoka when she lay down on her side her hips were definitely wide and curvy and she was like that in other shots as well. In the locker room when she turned her back on Momoka she had the hips and rear of a boy. It makes me wonder if some non-regular artist obtruded into the sequence when someone decided to insert 2 seconds of service. Does anyone know if something like that happens?
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

I actually really liked this episode. Regardless of Ange being likeable or not, she is an interesting character, and she's becoming more interesting by the episode.

It's nice to see the sort of switch that Momoka is experiencing, she was at the top of society and looked down on the Norma, and now she's with all Norma and they discriminate against her.

I am finding myself liking this show more, and more...
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:39 am Reply with quote
I'm actually glad that I decided to stick with this show now. I was ready to drop it after 3 episodes because Ange was so unbearable, but she keeps improving with every episode.

I really liked this episode, because by having a character show up that she knew when she was still Angelise they were able to show how much she has changed. spoiler[I also kind of knew that she would end up buying Momoka from the moment that she "overheard" Hilda.]
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I am clicking with show quite a bit now. If they don't have over the top deaths, it just won't feel right.

The new character additions are quite entertaining each time and honestly, this show keeps me on my toes. You never know what is coming next. It may mean chaotic or crazy developments out of nowhere, but it's a lot of fun.

And seeing Ange suffer a bit and retain some of her bitchiness is quite fun as well. She goes through wild phases and for what it's worth, it's somehow entertaining.

This is what Freezing anime should have been. Taking crazy character exploits and just having fun with the premise.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Two separate bath scenes bring up loads of actual or near-nudity [...]

"[L]oads"? Both scenes were almost completely obscured by digital steam. There was nothing to look at, at least based upon CR's stream... ^^;

The episode wasn't bad. Slightly interesting points at the beginning and the end, and an okay middle. Ange's piloting outfit this time around was kinda cute.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote
What I have to wonder now is, if Ange can wear all that and still pilot just fine, why have those ridiculous pilot uniforms in the first place? Usually these shows try to come up with some BS explanation for their outfits, but I guess this show just doesn't care.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
Quote:
Two separate bath scenes bring up loads of actual or near-nudity [...]

"[L]oads"? Both scenes were almost completely obscured by digital steam. There was nothing to look at, at least based upon CR's stream... ^^;

The episode wasn't bad. Slightly interesting points at the beginning and the end, and an okay middle. Ange's piloting outfit this time around was kinda cute.

The fact that it was censored doesn't mean that it wasn't there. Or would you prefer that I always say, "there will be loads of fan service when it gets an uncensored release, but what's in the episode now doesn't count because it is censored"?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:37 pm Reply with quote
If I was ever going to buy a BD release specifically for the fan service, It think it would be this anime. What I liked was how all the girls (except Hilda) reconcile by roughhousing around in the bath with each other in a way that seems suddenly innocent and sort of works somehow.

I have to wonder about whether Hilda will come around. They had a shot of her in her lonely pimped-out room without her girl playthings who seem to have abandoned her for Ange. I think the purpose of the 3-way scene earlier was to emphasize that.

As always it seems I can't get through an episode with some comment about Emma. In spite of all her contact with them (or maybe because of it?) It does seem after all that she does harbor the bigotry regarding Norma that her society fosters. She does seem to have a conscience of sorts but so far all it has made her do is flinch now and then. And if she is supposed to be the boss of this operation she is phenomenally incompetent.

The one thing that really doesn't fit with this story is how Ange has shown zero interest in any news that her maid might have brought about home. Particularly since at the end she seemed suddenly so interesting in what was happening with her sis.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, I don't have many positive things to say about the show, especially the first episodes (but I wont go there since that's already been chewed to death). However, I do like how they stretched out Ange's growth from spoiled Princess Whiny Bigot to Princess Angry Bigot and now more acquiescing Princess Semi-Bigot team player. I think in many shows or manga it would only be one episode/chapter for the character to turn around. At least here they are acknowledging that she grew up in a society of bigotry and that doesn't go away over night.

I also liked Ange telling Salia off with basically, spoiler["hey its not just me, you're not stopping them from taking shots at me in combat"]. I think that worked because Salia was more focused on the Ange "problem" and wasn't looking at the whole problem.

As far as this episode the lightheartedness of some of the scenes ( like Salia's outfit) was an overall welcome respite. My only beef really was that Salia didn't realize no one had died on her team that she needed to check her records. Its one thing that she didn't realize at first, but to actually check your records? Ok, that was dumb. Plus what is up with Japan, besides the epidemic of amnesia that strikes characters everybody catches a cold if they get a little water splashed on them?

I agree with Theron's grade for the episode of B (for the more fan-service oriented crowd).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:43 am Reply with quote
Did anyone else pause to read the "apology" Momoka wrote up for Ange? Hilarious. Essentially it was a declaration that she did nothing wrong, and had been unaware of Salia's envy of her outstanding efforts, therefore she merely thought Salia was coming to praise her for her exceptional work, and was testing her combat skills, and finally ending with a sincere apology for not realizing that her natural perfection might arouse jealousy in others. Very Happy
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:18 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Did anyone else pause to read the "apology" Momoka wrote up for Ange? Hilarious. Essentially it was a declaration that she did nothing wrong, and had been unaware of Salia's envy of her outstanding efforts, therefore she merely thought Salia was coming to praise her for her exceptional work, and was testing her combat skills, and finally ending with a sincere apology for not realizing that her natural perfection might arouse jealousy in others. Very Happy

I did not see that. That is a hilarious small detail. Kind of feels praiseworthy for something like that.

So far it feels like a tug-of-war between fanservice and having something to say. Personally I like to believe that scenes with nudity do have a reason not for just titillation, maybe just a side effect. But nude bath fight with groping stretches it a little. So far this has been my favourite Sunrise mecha anime with royalty and stuff.
KingQuaka

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:20 am Reply with quote
Kurai_Seraphim wrote:
Quote:
the probing scene is part standard medical exam for a prison-like environment

There is nothing standard about that exam. You can come up with sketchy plot justifications for a rape scene as not being a rape scene, but it was completely written like one, drawn as one, and even had lingering body with blood pooling under the lower torso on the floor after shot of one.

Though the scene can be horrifying even for my standards, there's something I gotta clear up.

spoiler[The blood actually came from her mother when she was shot protecting her at that parade scene]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 43