• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: CROSS ANGE Rondo of Angel and Dragon

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Izanagi009 wrote:
Edit: a small question that is not anger based has come up; why are there so many mecha with singing or idols. Macross codified it, Gundam has it's share of singers, and now we have two songs tied to the mechs in this show.

Macross is exactly why. It established the precedent (and a very popular one at that!) for mixing music and idol singers with mecha, one that has been periodically drawn from ever since. Besides, the idea of music being used to trigger magical and/or supernatural effects is, at the very least, centuries old and probably extends back into antiquity, so it being specifically applied to triggering a mecha's special abilities is only a natural progression.

To be honest, nobody expected Macross to be a success in 1982-83. It came out of nowhere, so the idea of using music was original. It wasn't dictated by "economic" reasons. Of course once the rock was thrown and Macross ended up being a success the rest is history.
Yes Music is a cornerstone of Macross, but it has been at least 20 years since music has lost it's "story telling" power. It is used as a promotional avenue to sell cds. The perfect symbiotic relationship between anime and merchandising, where merchandising here is not limited to toys/mecha but music. If Kawamori wanted to do a Macross that didn't include idols he could do it. Production committees are the reason why Music is so prominent in modern Macross.

Quote:

Quote:
As for an overall comment, please try to be a bit more serious. I can take a joke or two but this set of comments makes me think you don't take this or any show with any gravitas.

Why would one want to take this series with a lot of gravitas? Most of the series is pretty ridiculous, so taking it too seriously will only frustrate you.

I take the show seriously. I cannot be the only one to have realised the structure of the show after the first 2-3 episodes. To continue criticising what makes Cross Ange a breath of fresh air after 17 episodes c'mon man it's too late. Cross Ange will continue to use ecchi, comedy, tragedy to the last episode. Because this is what this series is about. Sometimes I wonder if fandom really remembers how anime used to be (not ovas but tv series) 20, 30 years ago. Evangelion in my view f***ed it all up. Everything had to be dead serious. No humour allowed. Well I like humour, pranks, silly jokes, sexyness, fanservice in anime. Cross Ange has it all and I enjoy it very very much. It is not a problem for me. Last episode was great, first part tongue-in-cheek with lots of anime references injokes while the second part was dead serious.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:56 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
As for an overall comment, please try to be a bit more serious. I can take a joke or two but this set of comments makes me think you don't take this or any show with any gravitas.

Why would one want to take this series with a lot of gravitas? Most of the series is pretty ridiculous, so taking it too seriously will only frustrate you.

I take the show seriously. I cannot be the only one to have realised the structure of the show after the first 2-3 episodes. To continue criticising what makes Cross Ange a breath of fresh air after 17 episodes c'mon man it's too late. Cross Ange will continue to use ecchi, comedy, tragedy to the last episode. Because this is what this series is about. Sometimes I wonder if fandom really remembers how anime used to be (not ovas but tv series) 20, 30 years ago. Evangelion in my view f***ed it all up. Everything had to be dead serious. No humour allowed. Well I like humour, pranks, silly jokes, sexyness, fanservice in anime. Cross Ange has it all and I enjoy it very very much. It is not a problem for me. Last episode was great, first part tongue-in-cheek with lots of anime references injokes while the second part was dead serious.

What might be a breath of fresh air to you seems like total violation of basic cinema and storytelling

I can understand the appeal for these shifts in tone and style. It's something chaotic that keeps people on their toes. however, it messes with our investment in the show, its characters, and it's plot if it undermines itself like this.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Yes Music is a cornerstone of Macross, but it has been at least 20 years since music has lost it's "story telling" power. It is used as a promotional avenue to sell cds. The perfect symbiotic relationship between anime and merchandising, where merchandising here is not limited to toys/mecha but music. If Kawamori wanted to do a Macross that didn't include idols he could do it. Production committees are the reason why Music is so prominent in modern Macross.

While I won't dispute that music inserted into a series is sometimes just a promotional avenue to sell CDs (see AKB0048), I find the claim that music has lost its storytelling power in anime to be ludicrous. Music was absolutely integral to the storytelling in Macross Frontier, for instance, and that's far from the only place where it has been a general part of the storytelling over the past 20 years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ebv2406

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I was also curious as to why would Embryo attack the dragon people, makes no sense to destroy his energy supply.

My favorite thing about ep 16 was that Vivian can't see to fully get the concept of a mother, calling her -san
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, looks like the show is actually going on an upward climb in quality

Still doesn't negate my disgust with the first two episode but the last few episodes have been somewhat decent if a bit predictable.

Lets see how Ange's information alters how Jill and the others operate

As for Tusk, his gimmick is getting more and more tiring and I am running low on patience for those scenes.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:

Still doesn't negate my disgust with the first two episode but the last few episodes have been somewhat decent if a bit predictable.

As for Tusk, his gimmick is getting more and more tiring and I am running low on patience for those scenes.

Well as long as you don't run completely out of patience it's all good, you'll get to see the end of the series. Laughing Just 2 more months.
This episode was good, and what I seriously don't want to see is the Zeta Gundam disease. Characters jumping back and forth between factions like rabbits.
Salia, Chris and Ersha have chosen their camp. They should endure a fiery end at the hands of Ange.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Izanagi009 wrote:

Well as long as you don't run completely out of patience it's all good, you'll get to see the end of the series. Laughing Just 2 more months.
This episode was good, and what I seriously don't want to see is the Zeta Gundam disease. Characters jumping back and forth between factions like rabbits.
Salia, Chris and Ersha have chosen their camp. They should endure a fiery end at the hands of Ange.

I think that that "Zeta disease" can actually be done well. Unicorn had Banagher shifts sides and experienced the war from both perspectives. That can certainly make a character more rounded in the war but I suppose at this point, having this switch would be illogical since we have had no build up in character or motivation like in Unicorn.

As for the Tusk thing, I know this show was supposed to be part fanservice and part drama but this fanservice is really getting absurd and heavy handed
Key

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:02 pm Reply with quote
As I said in the review, though, I think the faceplanting thing is a running joke at this point instead of actual fan service. It's definitely more amusing when thought of that way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Do you think it's better, in your reviews, to talk more about character development, motivations, and less summarizing events? I think that is the strongest quality of Cross Ange - the character development and maturation of not only the main character, but supporting characters too. The events of the story are shaped by their choices and paths they choose for themselves.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
As I said in the review, though, I think the faceplanting thing is a running joke at this point instead of actual fan service. It's definitely more amusing when thought of that way.

I'm more likely to faceplam than see it as a running joke but that's mainly because the first few times were so stupid that I think I have been conditioned against it
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
Key wrote:

I'm more likely to faceplam than see it as a running joke but that's mainly because the first few times were so stupid that I think I have been conditioned against it

Did you guys miss the dick-biting-by-symbolic-proxy meme? I can't think of another anime I have seen that has used that. Tusk and the two Dragon girls present sure understood it though.
Mecha Odyssey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:38 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Did you guys miss the dick-biting-by-symbolic-proxy meme? I can't think of another anime I have seen that has used that. Tusk and the two Dragon girls present sure understood it though.

I caught that and was surprised that they did it. It fits Ange's character though. However the part about that scene I enjoyed the most was Ange actually admitting that she went too far. When they were initially stranded and she insulted his parents and she wanted to apologize for what she said, it was difficult for her to say she was sorry back then. Seeing her being so forward and open was a nice thing to see.

Overall an enjoyable episode and I would agree with the comment made in the review. While the events that happened in the episode were not overly surprising, it's in how they were executed that made them enjoyable. Looking forward to the Jill/Ange confrontation next episode. I also think that Ange is strting to figure out that Vilkiss is more than just a machine. I hope we start getting more info on it's background soon.

Izanagi009 wrote:

Considering that you have followed the series this far, I think it would be possible to re-evaluate as Key has suggested. However, I do understand where you are coming from of how it can be annoying. In the Eva manga series, NGE: Shinji Ikari Raising Project, Shinji falls into the girls with an incredible amount of frequency. In my case though, by volume 6 or 7 my annoyance of it happening simply turned into indifference.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Did you guys miss the dick-biting-by-symbolic-proxy meme? I can't think of another anime I have seen that has used that.

that's basically what the entirety of episode 6 of Majikoi is about. shenanigans at the Kanamara Festival
ichii_1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely AMAZING episode :O
The animation was great.

The theme this time was not to be content with what someone gives you and live only for them even if it's God, think for yourself and live for yourself but still rely on and love others :'(

Erscha is such a psycho b!tch now, she'd kill even her own mother if it means saving the kids, you may die now.
Chris just wants friends :'( she's gonna die together with Rosalie isn't she Sad
Salia is just a brat that wants love and to be accepted, some development with Elektra and maybe both die.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Great GIF, icii_1.

Episode 19 review wrote:
It seems unlikely to ever come up, though, as Ange has given every indication of being straight.

Ange is undeniably straight, but she is more than willing to play if she is in the mood. She force-kissed Rebecca once and when Hilda felt her up in the shower last episode she didn't push her off. If Momoka-of-the-panties plays her cards right ...

Episode 19 review wrote:
Ersha, meanwhile, was won over when Embryo saved the young Norma by apparently bringing them back from the dead.

Personally, if Embryo really did that I would be tempted go over to his side as well. However given the fact that those kids (except the one in Ersha's arms when Embryo happened upon her) were burned to a crisp I find it much more likely that many if not all of those kids are actually an illusion of some kind that will disappear when Ange finally manages to liberate the prime dragon.

It seems pretty clear that Embryo's MO is some sort of augmented mental domination with an eye to keeping all the females well seduced. What male kid hasn't had the fantasy of having the power to command girls to strip like that? It seemed sort of cheap in some ways to play it out with Ange but it did set up her predictable almost-too-late-with-memories-of-Tusk save pretty well.

I thought it a bit chilling -- and perhaps a high point of the episode, when Ange turned out to be perfectly willing to take a zero-range Goodfellas-type head shot on Embryo. Multiple times. Although he was sanguine about it it certainly puts a much harder edge on Ange than we have ever seen before. She's never been that ruthless.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 43