• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Netflix Considers Expanding Into Japan, Asian Markets

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I remember reading an article about Netflix wanting to expand to South Korea and other countries.

But to be honest, I think Netflix should stay out of the Japanese market because we all know what happen to Hulu. Yeah, Hulu didn't do so well in Japan. So I don't think Netflix will take off in Japan, that and Japan doesn't fully embrace streaming unlike their American and Korean counterpart.

Last edited by mdo7 on Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Huh. I thought they already were in Asia, particularly Japan, which is how they ended up with Knights of Sidonia like a whole season before it premiered in Japan. They've posted jobs like this one since around that time, which is the last time I trolled Netflix's job site.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:01 am Reply with quote
Something tells me content providers would make Netflix a skeleton in Japan considering their love of price gouging.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:07 am Reply with quote
I tried to connect to Netflix's streaming site while on vacation in Tokyo back in 2011.
It was blocked out of the United States.
This sounds like great news.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:50 am Reply with quote
Having an official Netflix over here would be great. Hulu Japan is actually pretty excellent itself, with tons of Japanese live action and anime content (watching through Rose of Versailles myself right now), plus plenty of English shows with Japanese subtitles (great got introducing Japanese friends to shows like Community and Breaking Bad). Netflix would be even more exciting.
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote
I believe this is the first time Ted Sarandos has brought up anime to the press. Lets hope it is not the last.

I am pretty sure Netflix is well aware of Hulu's shortcomings in Japan. France has also been a very difficult market to enter with a lot of resistance coming from many sectors. However, if Netflix can make their model work there, they should do fine in Japan. I doubt they will go for the otaku crowd though anime would be a part of their library. They spent two years preparing to launch in France and Germany, so I do not expect they will go to Japan till at least late 2016 at the earliest.

One way Netflix has smoothed over France is green lighting an original series made in that country that they will distribute worldwide. It would not surprise me if they do something similar in Japan. Anime would be a good option since it is one of the most internationally recognized forms of Japanese media, and Netflix already has a lot of data on its viewership. It would be really cool if Under the Dog became a Netflix original since they also want to get more into original movies, UTD already has the international market in mind, and they want to avoid production committees, which I am pretty sure is a headache Netflix would rather do without. Who knows? It is way too early to tell one way or the other.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:52 am Reply with quote
You'd think they'd learn from Hulu that streaming isn't popular in Japan, Netflix should focus entirely on South Korea, Taiwan, and Singapore (possibly Malaysia and Indonesia) where there's a chance for the service to succeed.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Netflix has a different business model, so it's entirely possible for them to be profitable where Hulu isn't, especially if Hulu carried over that idiotic policy of putting commercials in premium streams.
Tratious

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Netflix has a different business model, so it's entirely possible for them to be profitable where Hulu isn't, especially if Hulu carried over that idiotic policy of putting commercials in premium streams.
Hulu Japan didn't show ads.
traveling

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Tratious wrote:
Polycell wrote:

I was going to say... That's the one thing I hate about Hulu, and I guess they knew Japan wasn't having it.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Well give a try send netflix to asian especially phils area contry indeed save_us really cause in recent years their tv showings gotten same old blah to watch.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
You'd think they'd learn from Hulu that streaming isn't popular in Japan, Netflix should focus entirely on South Korea, Taiwan, and Singapore (possibly Malaysia and Indonesia) where there's a chance for the service to succeed.

This I agreed, I just came back from South Korea on a month-long vacation and my goodness video streaming is really embraced over there. On the subway I see a lot of people watching streamed video on their smartphones or tablets (and yes every Subway car in Seoul has Wi-Fi). So judging from my experience in South Korea, I think Netflix would have a better chance in South Korea then in Japan, Hulu should've targeted South Korea then Japan when it comes to video streaming.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Tratious wrote:

So was it entirely a subscription service like Hulu Plus? Did it carry Japanese films and television shows? Japanese dubs of American works?
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

This I agreed, I just came back from South Korea on a month-long vacation and my goodness video streaming is really embraced over there. On the subway I see a lot of people watching streamed video on their smartphones or tablets (and yes every Subway car in Seoul has Wi-Fi). So judging from my experience in South Korea, I think Netflix would have a better chance in South Korea then in Japan, Hulu should've targeted South Korea then Japan when it comes to video streaming.

Now that I think about it Bandai-Namco forgot the Korean market, oversight much, they missed out on a gold mine when they didn't choose to have their games localized sub only in South Korea. People could be playing games online on their Vita while on the train. I think Sony and Nintendo should consider the Korean market a lot more for more sales and profits, there should still be a market for handhelds at least there.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

Now that I think about it Bandai-Namco forgot the Korean market, oversight much, they missed out on a gold mine when they didn't choose to have their games localized sub only in South Korea. People could be playing games online on their Vita while on the train. I think Sony and Nintendo should consider the Korean market a lot more for more sales and profits, there should still be a market for handhelds at least there.

I don't think Vita and 3DS are big in South Korea, but mobile phone/smartphone games are big in South Korea so that's why Monster Hunters is not big in South Korea like in Japan. Also a lot of time Japanese game are not made with a global audiences in mind, I mean read this article. But I'm glad you mentioned sub only in South Korea, during my time over there when I look at TV channels in Korea, all foreign programs (both film and TV shows) that are broadcast-ed in Korea are definitely subtitled and not dubbed unlike Japan (where foreign program would be dubbed). So CSI and Law & Order are shown with Korean subtitles not dubbed over.

Anyway, that's going off topic but Netflix would have a better debut in South Korea rather then Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2