• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gundam Build Fighters Try

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:

The castle is not the enemy's trap. It is the arena. Both teams have to play in there.

No, the "Transylvanian forest" is the map. The castle is just a portion of that map. The players are under no obligation to enter the castle, and are perfectly free to blow it up if they like. Same with any stage that includes a space station.

Last edited by Ohoni on Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wrangler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 20 was certainly Interesting fight, pressing hard to see who would break.

I still wonder how many tricks Sekai can pull, before he ends up becoming too clinch. Their gone far beyond Super Saiyan here in comparison.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
Episode 20 was certainly Interesting fight, pressing hard to see who would break.

I still wonder how many tricks Sekai can pull, before he ends up becoming too clinch. Their gone far beyond Super Saiyan here in comparison.

Yeah, I dunno about that. Domon kept pulling out new tricks for his super saiyan mode during the final tournament in G gundam.

I think it has already become fairly ridiculous. I still like Try, but I kind of liked the original BF's approach to gunpla battles as opposed to Try's G gundam interpretation of it.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:28 am Reply with quote
Yeah. There are three core elements to how Gundams work in Build Fighters:

1. How Gundams work. If a Wing Gundam has a fancy giant gun, the model has a fancy giant gun. If an Exia has TransAm mode, an Exia-based model has it to. If you give an Exia a gun off a Wing, it's an Exia with a Wing gun.

2. How toys work. This is like where Sei used glue to make his model tougher, there are tricks you can use to make your model better (or worse) than stock by tweaking the physical components.

3. Magic. This bull#### makes no damned sense. This is the stuff Star Build got up to with those warp gates, Build Burning gets up to all the time, it's all nonsense.

If you couldn't guess, I really hate the elements that depend on #3. I think it's just stupid. I much prefer when the designers figure out clever techniques to building their models, or clever combinations of existing Gundam components to make a better whole than the original designers considered, like the core of one Gundam with the sword of another and the gun of a third and so on, but all the "a wizard did it" Plavsky-ex-gundam nonsense moves just annoy me.

That said, the Uzumaki Naruto Rendan move was actually pretty cool, even if it was magic particle nonsense.
NuGaiNM7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Honestly...I'm kinda disappointed with this fight. They really hyped up Lucas way too much (Trained by Julian Mackenzie, European Junior Champ, etc.) and then he gets bogged down by his Gunpla who uses up too much fuel out of nowhere?! C'mon man!

At least the Meijin vs Julian fight was more hyped than that!
Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I do think the battle between Wilfred and Nemesis was little over blown. I wasn't struck how "powerful" he was, or why Sekai was freaking out when ever the kid came around him. I know it's some sort of genre thing to hype the sign up.

Team work is going be key if anything in the final battle with Team Try Fighters.

Win or loss, there still possibility he could lose. After all you don't keep growing because you won it all. It could end in stale mate. Heck the original battle lori was in wasn't even conclusive winner. he and his partner was named as winners but it was final battle, the gunpla generator exploded.

spoiler[What i understand - not confirmed, Buring has a built in Plavsky particle crystal from lori's partner in the core of it. Thus he has actual crystal verse the artificial ones they've been using to keep tournaments and Gunpla going.]

I hope they'll have good run, i actually don't like Gundam 00 designs, since they look boring to me. Episode 22's fight Tyron 3 should amusing.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:28 pm Reply with quote
NuGaiNM7 wrote:
Honestly...I'm kinda disappointed with this fight. They really hyped up Lucas way too much (Trained by Julian Mackenzie, European Junior Champ, etc.) and then he gets bogged down by his Gunpla who uses up too much fuel out of nowhere?! C'mon man!

I don't think that is quite right. The amount of particles used determines the strength of the attack/defense. I think the point was suppose to be that the only way he could fight with the whole gunplagakuin team was to be incredibly aggressive with his particle usage. I didn't get the implication at all that he would need that for 1v1, but he had to pump out as much with his FC as all 3 of them did. No one on his roster was close to that level, so he went with the plan of using them as battery packs instead of having them lose pretty much instantly.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Well, it's not that it uses up too much fuel. If he wanted to play it normal then he would likely have plenty to make it through the fight. The benefit here is that he was able to burn at full blast the entire time, enabling him to match up with his three enemies at once. The CB characters could likely do the same thing, burn much harder than they were, they would just run out of fuel if they did.

It's a bit like a relay race. You get two teams of six runners that are all good at any short distance, put them in a 300m race. If one team does there best to all run in parallel and last the entire 300m, while one team set up at 100m intervals and each sprinted full out for 100m in series, the latter team would be much faster, and if the first team tried to outrace each sprinter, they'd be dead on their feet by 200m, even if they could keep up with him for that first leg.

What I found interesting is that he basically used a "stock" Gundam. Nothing about that seemed unique in any way, it was just the Crossbones Fullcloth from the manga, using only those weapons. Traditionalists are quite rare in GBF.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm calling it now that Alex Nemesis is going to be their major opponent, since he's European and they haven't had a chance to fight him yet.

I've been agreeing with you on the probably sequel and I'm sure that all of those fighters from the first half are coming back too, the first series made sure to bring everyone back at pretty regular intervals but Try seems to introduce more rivals than it can really balance (even if they're grouped into convenient teams). I also vote that Gyanko comes back because we neeeeeed more of her in the fights.
Michael Nathanael T.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:24 am Reply with quote
Kabe-don~
msgundam2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Would not be a Alt universe Gundam anime without yaoi undertones.
megazero

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Tryon 3 reminds me of Raijin Oh.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
IKKIsama

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Lauren Orsini wrote:
It was a “calm before the storm” episode that failed to excite or raise tension, simply biding its time because this series is obligated to have exactly 24 installments, or so it seemed.

25 episodes just like season 1.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:26 am Reply with quote
I disagree with the reviewer's take on it. Yes, it was a calm before the storm episode, but I felt it did a good job with it, focusing on the character interactions because the remaining episodes will be so focused on battles and presumably some last minute plot twist that will leave little time for hanging out. It had a few slow bits, but largely kept a reasonable pace. I do think that overall they botched the romance subplots a bit, like they really should have nudged Shia towards Yuuma, they'd be a cute couple, and I still like SekaixGyanko.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:44 am Reply with quote
Gundam Build Fighters Try - Episode 25

spoiler[Down right awesome episode if you like Mecha combat. Sure it wasn't space soup opera series, but it still amazing fights going on. The series has one more episode to go, but how heck they going out do that ending? I admittedly, thought that was down right weird they went into energy animal forms. However, it was great way to go when they blew part of the planet in their final exchange of blows. Another episode to go, everyone going be doing their own gunpla takes on things. It will be fun episode, but season 3 will be challenging is there angling towards that.]

As for the sub-plot and relationship situations. It was in my opinion not take them seriously. Sekai being actually teenager, barely registering girls on his radar. Yumma's crush for for Sekai was purely comedy thing and device bring him into the group. Way things are with Gyanko, she looks like she destine to hookup with former Sekai's rival she was seated with verse Sekai himself. Honestly thing after season 1, they actually tuned down the romcom subplots to focus more on comedy and drama building up to the tournament.

The competition coming up in Episode 26 looks like pure fun (technically advertising / gunpla plugging) episode where everyone using new gunpla.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7