• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Trinity Seven

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:40 am Reply with quote
hurafloyd, your comments show that you have not been paying attention at all to what I have been saying in the reviews.

In the initial ep 1-3 review of the series I did say that I have a problem with underage teachers in general. I find Negi slightly more tolerable because he actually acts like he's a teacher; you never get that sense from Lilith. However, his case is still an annoyance, too.

And I'm pretty sure that I have commented on multiple occasions that Arata isn't a typical girl-shy male harem lead and is more likable because of that. However, as I've also pointed out, that isn't enough when the rest of the show falls flat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hurafloyd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:47 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:

read what Theron is writing. he is actually explaining why he doesn't like it

I will re read his reviews because I cant recall something worth saying "ah, he is right".
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quote
is there some sort of word filter/replacement going on? "this is not 4Chan" popped up several times on hurafloyd's first post
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
is there some sort of word filter/replacement going on? "this is not 4Chan" popped up several times on hurafloyd's first post

Yes, it replaces a homophobic slur.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:19 pm Reply with quote
The animation can be good at times, character design is good.

There some drama, but not alot. Frankly I'm tired of each episode being a crisis some kind which needs to either embarrass the girls in some form or rush a story.

There plenty of fanservice out there, premise of the story is fine, i just don't think it going as well as it could with a 85% fan service and 15% content. :/ Rolling Eyes
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Well I just caught up on this anime and perhaps I could have saved myself some time if I had read Theron's reviews first. There is a lot they are doing wrong here and it feels like they invested in some potentially good characters and then wasted the investment.

One of the few things they are doing right is not so much the fan service but Arata's reaction to the fan service. No bleeding nose and very little drooling. He appreciates the girls and is up front about it and he likes to and is good at teasing them. In other words it is possible to identify with him to some extent and that's pretty rare for male leads in harem anime.

The magic stuff -- not so much. All a jumble and there is no sense to it. And when they paint themselves into a corner over it they resort to "well magic is supposed to be irrational!" or something like that. I think at this point I'll read the reviews before watching the episodes.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Oy. Why do I find myself sifting my brain to come up with some sort of refutation of the review for Episode 7? At the end of the day I can't -- I can only come up with agreeing supplements.

Obviously all the thought in this anime went into the magical confrontations and the fan service. I kind of like the male lead Arata and the girls can be cute but that is just enough to not quit it altogether.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:25 am Reply with quote
The overall casualness and lack of tension in the fight scenes is one of the things I love about this series. The surreal "Oh, I guess we're fighting now?" attitude would take the wind out of the sails of a serious magic fantasy show, but Trinity Seven has always felt like it was enjoying only going through the motions.

I do kind of wonder about the step after "stop time and enter a space I can never leave" was supposed to be. Maybe I just misunderstood the technobabble.
James S.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:49 am Reply with quote
I just thought I should point out here that in the episode, two different spells were used, so the whole "ignored the whole carefully established logic thing makes no sense to me. In the episode, Liese cleary states the name of her Last Technica, Baal Peor, and states that the spell allows her to mimic the action of stopping time. At the same time, she states that because of the spell she would not be able to interact with anyone and only is able to do so with Arata because she included him in the scope of the spell. So far, I don't see anything contradicting.

Then, right as Arata prepares to attack Liese with Mantra Enchantment, she clearly states the name of the next spell she uses, Chrono Calculation, which then effectively freezes Arata in place. Considering the fact that Liese clearly says the name of two different spells, one of them that effectively stopped time and made Liese unable to interact with anyone besides Arata who was included in the spell and was already stated to be the secret trump card that one has to have obtained to be a Trinity Seven, and one that was obviously a difderent and less powerful spell with a similar effect, how in the world does anything that happened in this episode contradict itself because I'm not seeing it.
hurafloyd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:12 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
hurafloyd, your comments show that you have not been paying attention at all to what I have been saying in the reviews..

Indeed, I read them again. I think I sinned of knowing too much about the story already (I've been reading the manga since it came out and the anime has been quite faithful to the manga), even so, some stuff can be already by guessed as to why they happen without explanations being given (even the Liese showing her boobs had a meaning besides dumb fan service), that was the thing that ticked me off about the reviews and I made a really poor case in my previous entry.

I support you with the Negima child teacher idea after I read that review again, it does not annoy me as much but what it does annoy me is that there is no reason as to why, "why is this character a teacher", since I cant grasp why Lilith is a teacher (even with the knowledge of the manga I have so far).

Btw, I've never been to 4chan, never cared, never wanted to, so I dont really understand the point of your comment getchman, if you could kindly explain it to me I would appreciate it.

James, I still have to watch the anime episode but from what I've read in your comment it is as the related manga chapter, Baal Peor is the Last Technica of her theme and Chrono Calculation is another magic that lets her control the time of her victim (in that case Arata) in the "super speed state" of Baal Peor, by the looks of your comment, probably some details were left off from the manga.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:40 am Reply with quote
hurafloyd wrote:

Btw, I've never been to 4chan, never cared, never wanted to, so I don't really understand the point of your comment getchman, if you could kindly explain it to me I would appreciate it.

Look at your post on the previous page. Zac created a word filter for the homophobic slur you used which replaces it with "this is not 4Chan"
MidoriUma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:23 am Reply with quote
So what, you're just not going to write about it anymore?

Wow... I wish I could just stop doing my job without any consequences.

Sarcasm aside, why not recruit some fans to review the episodes, if you're not going to?
Key

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I've said basically the same thing about each of the last three episodes (at the least) and, frankly, am running out of different ways to say it. Zac had said from the beginning that we might drop a series here and there if reviews became redundant, and that is what is happening here. Consider it our "test case" for this procedure.

And apparently I missed that Liselotte had cast a second, separate spell to freeze Arata. I had thought at the time that it was just her applying the original spell to him.

EDIT: Fixed typo.

Last edited by Key on Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And apparently I missed that Liselotte had cast a second, separate spell to freeze Arata. I had thought at the time that it was just her applying the original spell to him.

I happened to miss that too and now having it pointed out to me I remain curiously unfulfilled. What flipping difference does it make.

Speaking for myself I would rather you spend your time on better anime than this. A wrap-up review for this one would be more than enough unless something changes.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, I do have the unexpectedly great Yuki Yuna is a Hero to balance this one out. Wink

In fairness, I think this could have been a decent series if the people who were adapting it actually knew what they were doing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3