• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Parasyte -the maxim-

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I think ep 20 was pretty bad as well. But then again the whole police plan lacked proper explanation and development, and that started with ep 19, which got a better review but was still barely decent. So I guess I wouldn't put the blame entirely on EP 20...like others said, it felt like a bad (but somehow predictable and understandable) continuation to events that were indeed foreshadowed in some manner.

The whole thing with the serial killer feels unneccesary and heavy handed.

Shinichi's character feels to me a lot less charismatic and interesting to watch...it could be related with the plot device of Migi's downtime, since the dynamic between them seems different and minimized.

But the worst offenders for the dip in a narrative that was sound during most of its run are without a doubt the cop characters (every single one of them).

The thing is, I agree the episode wasn't horrible and the series didn't jump the shark yet. But maybe some of us expected way more cause we throughfully enjoyed the first half, which was GREAT and after Kana's death everything went downhill slowly. Mind you, I'm not saying her absence is the REASON of this; her departure just coincides with other events that brought us were we are and that's just it.

I guess in the end it boils down to me thinking the show was smarter than this, and I still expect it to regain the things I loved in it. If not, at worst I could say that what I thought was going to be an excellent series ends up being pretty good, which is not a huge loss.
mazzmoney

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't post on here often, but decided to after seeing how many of you actually have opinions that are deeper than "best girl" or "omg so much action" like those on HB or Reddit. I might have to come here more often...

This is my first time on this thread so this post will be a tad long...

Basically I got into the series at the halfway point, as I was just getting back into anime after a little hiatus during summer. After finishing HxH this was my next "big" show that I was watching and hooked on. Needless to say I was hooked during the first 12 episodes, and thought the series was done really well at that point. Animation was great (they had good use of cgi IMO, only using it for background characters even if it was quite obvious), a pretty strong, compelling story with decent writing and a good focus on themes that weren't overbearing, and some great music to boot. I also liked the change in the character designs because to me it was a smart way of modernizing a show while still keeping the core ideas and story the same, so I was hoping for more old school manga that aren't as popular to get a "modern" adaptation (popular shows like JJBA could get away with the retro style though).

The series continued to be good IMO until the whole park scene back during episode 17 I think. That episode as a whole made little to no sense at all, and to me was a serious case of bad writing and storytelling. The next episode was just as bad, mixing cliche themes with equally bad writing for an even more disastrous effect. What killed it for me was that people actually liked these turns of events.

Basically, the detective's plan of kidnapping the baby was stupid since it served no purpose. What did he expect to accomplish? I still haven't seen a logical reason (the best I've heard was that since he was grief stricken, he wasn't thinking but that makes the scene feel even more pointless. For that he might as well have killed himself. The next episode showed us how this baby that Tamura was carrying like a sack of shit and used as a decoy against shinichi changed her. Ugh, "motherhood made me human" bullshit. But I can except that if it didn't feel so abrupt to me. What sealed the deal was the scene where the police fired at her. The first problem was the fact that they fired at her while she was holding a HUMAN BABY (shinichi told them so they knew) then stopped as she got too close to shinichi. Why? You guys had no qualms about killing a defenseless baby being held captive by a parasite, but once she got too close to some random high school kid we all of a sudden have to stop. The other problem the show recognizes, which is when Migi asked why she didn't a) kill them all or b) ran away, which would have arguably been safer for the kid and would have spared her life. All she had to do was change her face. The show showed no signs that reiko wanted to die, in fact, if she loved the kid so [expletive] much why didn't she try to live to raise it? Even if she felt that a human like shinichi would have been a better parent (which he wouldn't and surely she would know they obviously wouldn't give custody over to him and it'll most likely spend its like in foster care), so I sat here wondering the point of it all. Yeah, her dialogue in the episode was pretty good, and I loved her development up to that point, but her ending felt so rushed and pointless.

The next episode (19 I believe) wasn't all that great either. The show spent the last episode talking about how close humans are to each other, now all of a sudden they introduce a ruthless murderer who could point out parasites because he is a monster, essentially bringing us back to square one where parasites = monsters while episode 18 talked about how similar they are to humans as a whole. Unless someone has a different interpretation of it (that he could only sense them when they have the intent to kill, which makes a bit more sense I suppose).

Then we have this episode, which Nick pretty much sums up perfectly. Much of the dialogue this episode was forced, the plans the police had were terrible and destined to fail, the show made it sound like the parasites cooperated when in reality they just knew they were being hunted and it turned into "every parasite for himself" so much cooperation there. The show bashes themes into your head, because it wants to focus more on the action because episodes like this sell a series for the masses. Basically, the more I write about the series the more I start to hate the last 40% of the show. It's a shame, because the show reminded me a lot of the chimera ant arc in HxH (which I absolutely loved)HxH spoilers spoiler[because it touched on similar themes (in a completely different way) of what it means to be human and all that while also having a plot based around another species threatening the humans as the dominant species and seeing them develop (though ants were a colony dedicated to a queen while the parasites had a bit more freedom, they both end up gaining more human emotions and ideals). ]

if you asked me 5 weeks ago what show did I think had the best chance of being #1 in 2015, I probably would have said parasyte followed by ninja slayer and arsland senki. Now I doubt this show will even be in my top 10.
Actar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:46 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
My answer is that different people with different tastes and preferences will rate shows differently and we need to try to see things from other people's perspectives in order to give a more well-rounded review.

I don't disagree about the part I bolded, but why are reviewers the only people who are expected to write with every other possible opinion than their own in mind? Why do you not include reviewers in the "other people's perspectives" that you should try to see things from? That's exactly what the review is: just another person's perspective.

Excellent question. In my opinion, reviewers, at least one that contributes to prominent sites or whose reviews are widely read, are in a position of power to influence the others with their words and possibly color the opinions of a person unfairly before he or she is able to watch the show. This is especially the case if the reviewer doesn't make his or her stance clear enough. That's not fair to the reader nor the show. Personally, I want everyone to give a show a fair shot and formulate their own opinions but I unfortunately see many who are satisfied with basing their watch list on reviews. Yes, I'm being idealistic. Yes, I'm denying the audience their agency, but again, that's just my opinion.

One-Eye wrote:
Actar wrote:
Many reviewers don't do this and the review ends up being one-sided, biased and condescending (for instance, a conservative person reviewing an ecchi show).

I'm not sure I'm ready to lump the reviewers on this site with some Fox News like conservative cabal.What I'm trying to say is that you are painting with a broad stroke here.

I think you misunderstand. That was not meant to be an attack against every reviewer here but an example of what I meant by having a reviewer with a biased position review a show unfairly without considering the fact that there are others who might enjoy such shows. It's not limited to ecchi shows nor is it meant to be a blanket statement describing the current climate.

One-Eye wrote:
Reviewers are people and everyone has different limits on what they can stomach. The same reviewer that likes action and violent shows maybe ok with Hellsing Ultimate but blanch at Gantz. So, you can't even expect reviewers to react the same way every time to the same genre. If you think a reviewer has gone over the top with their review by all means respectfully call them out for it. However, in my personal opinion I haven't seen this as a consistent pattern or crusade against certain material. Its not Tipper Gore's Anime News Network, otherwise some shows wouldn't even be reviewed at all.

And that's perfectly fine! But make it known to the reader that that's your opinion and tell us who might enjoy it as opposed to simply calling it a, I don't know, "gore fest that only sadists can jack off to" and leaving it at that. What do statements like that serve to accomplish?

I'm not saying that there's a crusade (though there have been isolated incidents), I'm just voicing my perspective on what I consider to be a fair review - putting forth one's own opinion whilst taking other perspectives into account, allowing the reader to get a more well-rounded picture. Of course, this is not limited to negative reviews but positive ones as well.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:13 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Personally, I want everyone to give a show a fair shot and formulate their own opinions but I unfortunately see many who are satisfied with basing their watch list on reviews.

If they're satisfied, then the system is working. If they're not agreeing with the reviews, then they've formed their own opinions, and the system is working. While there may be people who don't understand that the reviewer's opinion is their opinion without them prefacing every review with "and this is just my opinion," I'm really not interested in reading reviews that dumb things down to that level.

Actar wrote:
But make it known to the reader that that's your opinion and tell us who might enjoy it as opposed to simply calling it a, I don't know, "gore fest that only sadists can jack off to" and leaving it at that. What do statements like that serve to accomplish?

Sounds like it accomplishes exactly what you just asked for: they gave their opinion (it's a gore fest), and said who might enjoy it (sadists).
Starrk the Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Nice episode though I was a bit confused which part was actually a dream?

Last edited by Starrk the Kid on Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobob101

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I really am thankful for slightly negative reviews like this one or last weeks. Having a critical voice does assist in setting aside my thoughts on this show. I undoubtedly think its a great show, but sometimes you need help seeing the flaws in a great thing.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, there was quite some unneeded dialogue in episode 21, but overall it was a very good finish to the arc. If I listen to anymore of Hirokawa's speeches I might just defect to the Parasyte's side. Razz Unemotional they might be as the review says, it makes a lot of sense to me and really strikes the shame bone in my body. We say stuff like "Protecting the Earth" a lot of times but in the end we are the ones destroying it the most. Him being human was a little bit surprising, and I wonder how the Parasytes accepted him into their group in the first place. That being said, this episode ended with a touching scene, and I'm really excited to see how Parasyte ends the series with 3 episodes left.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:51 pm Reply with quote
So does anyone else feel that implied sex scene to be really rushed. All the sudden they are having sex when she was not sure she knew who he was anymore.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 21 grade: B+

This was a mostly forgettable episode. The last scene was the saving grace. Love might be a cliched and corny element, but it might be what Shinichi and the series need at this point.

I am surprised Nick had such kind reaction to episode 21, which I consider more inferior than episode 20.

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
So does anyone else feel that implied sex scene to be really rushed. All the sudden they are having sex when she was not sure she knew who he was anymore.

To me it felt out of nowhere because Satomi seemed too distant from Shinichi, but I am glad they made love.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

It did seem kind of sudden, but hey, that's kind of what happens these days.
Tomchic420

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:25 pm Reply with quote
YEAH! That's my boy! Shinichi putting in to Satomi like he was meant to.
bs3311

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Though Parasyte was the top anime in 2014 IMO. I can say that the show with its mishaps wont be the #1 for this year, but at around the top 10 or 15.

But even my 11 year old brother found points to answer some peoples complaints that are found in the show.

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

No, Murano came to realization that Shinichi was back to his old self after the thing with Tamiya. Plus she was upset that the detective/police wanted his help in the Gotou investigation, which she felt that Shinichi would break apart again just like what every student had during those 2 horrific incidents trying to live and move on with it. In the past she used the, "Sometimes I don't know you anymore!" Line as a direct insult to him. Now its used to cheer him up.

The cylce of their relationship was, 1. get togethor, 2. be apart, 3. feeling change, 4. worry 5. unsureness, 6. acceptance, 7. realization, 8. SEX!

mazzmoney wrote:
Basically, the detective's plan of kidnapping the baby was stupid since it served no purpose. What did he expect to accomplish?

To reveal her true nature, whom he assumed was a monster. He was proven wrong, apalogizing his actions before he died.

Quote:
Tamura was carrying like a sack of shit and used as a decoy against shinichi changed her. Ugh, "motherhood made me human" bullshit.

Yet in the next episode she learned more about Shinichi's strong love towards his decised mother from pictures on the computer. There is a cheesy thing called, "a picture is worth a thousand words." None of those pictures have anything related to Tamura's behavior fitting a proper parenting lifestyle.

So she concluded that the child should'nt die, but be given a poper home instead of hers.

Quote:
The first problem was the fact that they fired at her while she was holding a HUMAN BABY (shinichi told them so they knew) then stopped as she got too close to shinichi. Why? You guys had no qualms about killing a defenseless baby being held captive by a parasite, but once she got too close to some random high school kid we all of a sudden have to stop...........

Baby could be in foster care

1. In the next episode they still had the baby under survelience because they were scared if being taken/birthed by a Parasyte would have any negative outcomes of it being not human.

2. Even though Tamiya was also protecting the infant. Kuramori just said it was a baby, no further specification if it was a human or parasyte. It was up for the decetcives/cops to decide. Just like in 21.

3. Shinichi was a previous suspect who has encoutured Tamura. He was used for the investigation.

4. Foster care would be better than living in a dark house being carried like a peice of crap being ordered to stop crying.

Quote:
they introduce a ruthless murderer who could point out parasites because he is a monster, essentially bringing us back to square one where parasites = monsters while episode 18 talked about how similar they are to humans as a whole.

If he was'nt brought up, then the whole arc with Kanna would be pointless since it introduces a person with this ability. This killer has trained it though.

Both humans and parasytes can be monsters while having the potential to be better. Look at Migi, Uda and Tamura trying to learn and coexist while Gotou and the others learn and hide in the shadows in a position of government while satisfying their hunger. This was brought up before too.

Quote:
Much of the dialogue this episode was forced, the plans the police had were terrible and destined to fail.

A failed plan would be that nothing was gained. Gotou stated that, "it seems all the others have been killed." This is'nt AOT where they plan to charge Erens basement, then retreat.

Quote:
the show made it sound like the parasites cooperated when in reality they just knew they were being hunted and it turned into "every parasite for himself" so much cooperation there.

They were following past P.I. notes where they already said, "Its rather vague though." The show did'nt make it sound like the parasytes could use telepathy to cooperate, The characters thought they did and can use telepathy to cooperate. Different types of thinking and complaints. But the parasytes can detect others, like a minimap.

Its great that you are here though given your new, but I wanted to clarify things that I believe you overlooked. I love HxH too. But that is a true shonnen which I respect, and has little relation to this. While I dislike AOT because its a Shonnen trying to feel Seinen, which has reasons for comparisons to actual seinens. Well, Berserk and Vinland Saga are the best IMO though.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:08 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

To me it felt out of nowhere because Satomi seemed too distant from Shinichi, but I am glad they made love.

To me it was like geez finally. Morono finally is useful in some way.

Note she didn't make it through the episode without saying "you're weird" and "sometimes I don't know you."

Come on you guys there was nothing "sudden" about it. Shinichi propositioned her 15 episodes ago and they have been poking around each other for the entire school year.
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:22 pm Reply with quote
More important question was if Migi awake during the sex scene, yes or no?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Ragga Ragga wrote:
More important question was if Migi awake during the sex scene, yes or no?

Well it was something he wanted to see. And given that he usually sleeps during the day with an imminent threat approaching then iw ould say yes definitely.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 19