• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ghost Stories and the legacy of Steven Foster.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:44 pm Reply with quote
[Note: Split from this thread. ~Zalis]

leafy sea dragon wrote:
I keep hearing that name associated with terrible dubs. If they're so bad all the time, how does he keep finding work?

I have no complaints about any Steven Foster dubs that I have heard. As far as I can remember I really enjoyed all of them.
As with most things, how good or bad he is is just a matter of opinion.

I thought that his gag dub for Ghost Stories was brilliant. Definitely one of the funniest dubs that I have heard, with Sgt. Frog (not Foster's work) being the closest contender. Actually it is one of the funniest shows of any kind.
EDIT: I would also include Pani Poni Dash, which was Foster's, as one of the funniest shows.
But, as I said, it is completely subjective.

Last edited by Touma on Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
consignia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Seeing as Sentai is being brought up, let me contribute by saying I have never ever seen any of their dubs. I've never seen a sub either, but that's beside the point. Hopefully, Sentai can pull their act together now that Steven Foster is gone. Hopefully is the key word here.

I keep hearing that name associated with terrible dubs. If they're so bad all the time, how does he keep finding work?

I don't listen to English dubs anymore, but when I did, the overriding impression I got of Foster was that he got on tremendously well with voice actors, and the team in general.

I've never listened to a Sentai dub, but from my past experience, Foster was pretty decent at getting good performances out of the actors, he just liked to be a bit free with the localisation shall we say.
Nyoro Nyoromi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:

I don't listen to English dubs anymore, but when I did, the overriding impression I got of Foster was that he got on tremendously well with voice actors, and the team in general.

I've never listened to a Sentai dub, but from my past experience, Foster was pretty decent at getting good performances out of the actors, he just liked to be a bit free with the localisation shall we say.

ADV Foster had a "bad" reputation for altering lines/intent. I think the reaction was a bit overblown. Sentai Foster had a bad reputation for his sloppy work, which was likely the result of the clearly insane schedule he was keeping. His name was on so many projects in such a short amount of time that I can only imagine he was kept on for his impressive speed and let go for his failure to temper that speed with quality.

I personally don't think those issues were exclusive to him during the time, but I think he was the biggest offender and I'm glad that Sentai seems to be improving their quality overall.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:28 am Reply with quote
Wrathful wrote:
And I guess I do have to check Penguindrum in dubbed.
Don't bother. In fact I strongly suggest avoiding it entirely if you're looking for a good English dub. It's a complete disgrace to a brilliant series obviously made by people who couldn't care less about the show.

Monica Rial, Emily Neves and Jay Hickman save it from being a complete disaster but it's still a very, very subpar effort.

Since he directed the fantastic dubs for Cromartie Highschool and HOTD I can't hate Steve Foster in general. But boy did he screw up with Penguindrum.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:11 am Reply with quote
I always found Steven Foster to be the most talented ADR Director working in Houston dubbing. Now that he's left Sentai's dubs have gone from being noteworthy at times to uninteresting average fare. Its difficult for me to care anymore about their current dubs or licensed shows. There are a vast amount of talented actors/actresses from the Houston talent pool but they continue to work on mediocre shows all year long. It would be a nice change of pace to see them license some good shows for once.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:07 am Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
I always found Steven Foster to be the most talented ADR Director working in Houston dubbing. Now that he's left Sentai's dubs have gone from being noteworthy at times to uninteresting average fare. Its difficult for me to care anymore about their current dubs or licensed shows. There are a vast amount of talented actors/actresses from the Houston talent pool but they continue to work on mediocre shows all year long. It would be a nice change of pace to see them license some good shows for once.

What's interesting to me is that most of the praise Steven Foster got was with anime he directed during his tenure at ADV. Not wrote- directed. Basically, I'm talking about stuff like Cromartie High and Ghost Stories. (Yes, I know he wrote the script for that one, but it's general consensus that the sub was already awful). I think he only started to get a bad reputation when ADV folded and he started getting more work at Sentai. I don't know exactly what goes on during the process of dubbing, but I can only assume that Foster got protection from the editors during the first few years, which explains why people hated the scripts for the more dramatic animes he did. (Angel Beats, Penguindrum)

Once again, I have never ever seen a Sentai or Steven Foster dub. This is what I gathered based on what I found online and from second-hand interviews. I should also mention that Foster himself has made it clear in interviews that he didn't care about certain anime projects he directed. Which explains the last two anime mentioned in the last paragraph.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:44 am Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Basically, I'm talking about stuff like Cromartie High and Ghost Stories. (Yes, I know he wrote the script for that one, but it's general consensus that the sub was already awful).

The original Gakkou no Kaidan was a fairly popular anime. The dub just turned it into a joke, but for some reason there's this subsection of people who praise it despite bashing companies such as 4Kids for doing the exact same thing. Perhaps people who like it just don't like Japanese mythology or culture and appreciate all kinds of Japanese youkai and legends being turned into more American-appropiate Family Guy jokes. Either way, it's an odd choice for someone to use to prove Steven Foster doesn't make terrible dubs.

-Stuart Smith
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:37 am Reply with quote
Foster's quitting? Aw man, say it ain't so...

bs3311 wrote:
By assuming Sentai Filmworks is still living in 2010?.........
Pls, Samurai Girls and Loups;Garus are the only ones meeting beyond that year criteria [being mediocre, rushed subtitle script readthroughs].
I checked out the first ep of Medaka Box, which came out in 2013 and has been mentioned several times in the thread. It was generally listenable, but the script is something like 85-90+% copy and paste from the CR subtitle script, or even higher than that percentage for any lines without lip flaps. Not to mention the Japanese name order and honorifics used for no other reason than "it makes matching lip flaps simpler."

Stuart Smith wrote:
The original Gakkou no Kaidan was a fairly popular anime. The dub just turned it into a joke, but for some reason there's this subsection of people who praise it despite bashing companies such as 4Kids for doing the exact same thing. Perhaps people who like it just don't like Japanese mythology or culture and appreciate all kinds of Japanese youkai and legends being turned into more American-appropiate Family Guy jokes. Either way, it's an odd choice for someone to use to prove Steven Foster doesn't make terrible dubs.
Yes, it was so popular that it was almost halfway fansubbed 3 years after it aired. And the dub maintains the essential framework of the plot, the names of the ghosts, the basic character relationships, and the methods of dispatching the ghosts. Hardly a Shin-chan hackjob or even a 4Kids job -- I sure don't know of any 4Kids dubs that added swearing, racist/ethnic stereotype humor, and political jabs. If anything, it's analogous to Manga UK's "Fifteening" of random schlocky OVAs from the 80s and 90s. Having seen both language tracks, I don't think the original/subbed version was a bad show per se; it was merely average, like Japanese Scooby-Doo but with real and slightly more threatening ghosts. If not for the dub, pretty much nobody would remember it today, and we might not even have a completely translated version at all.

Nyoro Nyoromi wrote:
ADV Foster had a "bad" reputation for altering lines/intent. I think the reaction was a bit overblown. Sentai Foster had a bad reputation for his sloppy work, which was likely the result of the clearly insane schedule he was keeping. His name was on so many projects in such a short amount of time that I can only imagine he was kept on for his impressive speed and let go for his failure to temper that speed with quality.

I personally don't think those issues were exclusive to him during the time, but I think he was the biggest offender and I'm glad that Sentai seems to be improving their quality overall.
For what it's worth, I've never been a Foster hater myself, or at least not for a very long time. It's just the intersection of Foster and Sentai's circumstances that creates problems. Foster turned in plenty of good work in the ADV days -- not just Ghost Stories, but also shows like Generator Gawl, E's Otherwise, Super Milk-chan, and Orphen where Foster or like-minded scriptwriters managed to improve scripts and save titles from mediocrity. But that was when there was more time and money available to actually do significant amounts of ADR script writing. Whereas with Sentai, it was "make these CrunchyRoll subtitle scripts marginally presentable, and get that audio knocked out so we can slap some English audio on the disc to placate the 'no dub, no buy' crowd." Before, if Foster was confronted with a show he didn't care for as much, he could at least slip some personal touches in and be directing a script he cared about. But Clunky Overliteral Script + Marginal Show + Time and Money Pressures is a recipe for disaster.

And it's not just Foster who fell into this at Sentai. Chris Ayres did some great work for ADV on stuff like Magikano and Nerima Daikon Brothers, but his Sentai output degenerated into subtitle script readthroughs.

Akane the Catgirl wrote:
That's another thing I've noticed; if the anime is long enough, Foster will get taken off and replaced with another director. Look what happened with Kids on the Slope and Penguindrum. It makes me wonder if he would have been fired earlier if Sentai had the money and talent.
Some of that may just be scheduling conflicts, though. It's happened midway through dubs with other directors, too. For instance, I find it hard to believe that Matt Greenfield was pulled after the first halves of Sorcerer Hunters and Guin Saga and got replaced with Foster for reasons of incompetence.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

-Stuart Smith

I've never seen it, but I had the impression it was an intentional joke dub, like Duel Masters or What's Up, Tiger Lily?

Ghost Stories caught my interest because I love joke dubs. Kung Pow! Enter the Fist is one of my favorite movies (and was my absolute favorite through most of my high school years).
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:02 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:

I've never seen it, but I had the impression it was an intentional joke dub, like Duel Masters or What's Up, Tiger Lily?

Ghost Stories caught my interest because I love joke dubs. Kung Pow! Enter the Fist is one of my favorite movies (and was my absolute favorite through most of my high school years).

But from what we've since learned of Funi (and Sgt. Frog), joke dubs tend to come out of a basic contempt for the material, the company tossing off a deal they knew they couldn't sell, like trying to get Shin-chan past American censors.
(It's a little clearer in that UK dub of the first-season Urusei Yatsura, where some attempts to give it a raunchy-comedy British accent soon gave way to just hip deconstructive fourth-wall MST3K-style riff-goofing at the cartoon itself.)
In the 60's of Tiger Lily, the goofy Toho acting style and bad UPA dubbing of the Godzillas was the stuff of cheap ridicule, since nobody had the faintest clue about Japanese culture--And joke dubs nowadays aren't too much more culturally tolerant either.

Ghost Stories was not that interesting as a comedy, and Foster believed he was clever in selling the "joke" version. Whereas 4Kids does the exact opposite, taking a kids' video the company bought believing it would sell, and trying to make it sell more by taking away the nasty cultural references.

Getting back to the topic, how anyone could mention Luci Christian's career and not mention Ms. Yukari in Azumanga is just plain neglectful. Smile
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I've never seen it, but I had the impression it was an intentional joke dub, ...
Ghost Stories caught my interest because I love joke dubs.

Ghost Stories is an intentional joke dub. It never pretended to be anything else.

Comparing a gag dub to a 4Kids dub is ridiculous because they are totally different concepts with different intentions.
A gag dub is more like Mystery Science Theater in concept.

Since it is comedy it will be totally subjective.
Some people do not like gag dubs in general.
Some people do not mind gag dubs but do not like this particular dub.
I love the Ghost Stories dub.

It is just personal preference.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Yes, it was so popular that it was almost halfway fansubbed 3 years after it aired. And the dub maintains the essential framework of the plot, the names of the ghosts, the basic character relationships, and the methods of dispatching the ghosts. Hardly a Shin-chan hackjob or even a 4Kids job -- I sure don't know of any 4Kids dubs that added swearing, racist/ethnic stereotype humor, and political jabs. If anything, it's analogous to Manga UK's "Fifteening" of random schlocky OVAs from the 80s and 90s. Having seen both language tracks, I don't think the original/subbed version was a bad show per se; it was merely average, like Japanese Scooby-Doo but with real and slightly more threatening ghosts. If not for the dub, pretty much nobody would remember it today, and we might not even have a completely translated version at all.

Sorry. I suppose I should have clarified I meant in Japan. The original property did well and the show did well enough that a 2 cour anime for kids could do.

As per fansubs, considering how old the show it it's no surprise. The fansubbing scene back in 2000 was a lot different than today. A lot of shows went unsubbed, especially a lot of ones aimed at kids. I suppose it's similar to Shin-chan then. In Shin-chan's case I suppose Funi felt it's the only way to sell a long running series to the west. I don't see why Ghost Stories had to suffer the same style of dubbing, though. The market scene has changed I supposed, because a similar anime called Occult Academy got no dub at all when it was released here, which I suppose is a step up in respectful treatment. I fear what will happen to Youkai Watch when it gets released here, though.

Touma wrote:
Comparing a gag dub to a 4Kids dub is ridiculous because they are totally different concepts with different intentions.

They both disrespect the original material, though. And if that's all you watch and even like, you can not truly say you are a fan of the show itself. Gag dubs are the the lazy way out of marketing or selling a show... it gives off the impression those in charge couldn't care to bother, which is a good sign to avoid that company if they care so little.

-Stuart Smith
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
They both disrespect the original material, though. And if that's all you watch and even like, you can not truly say you are a fan of the show itself. Gag dubs are the the lazy way out of marketing or selling a show... it gives off the impression those in charge couldn't care to bother, which is a good sign to avoid that company if they care so little.

-Stuart Smith

Don't get the impression that it's all that I watch; if the source material is good, then a faithful dub will be good too.

In the case of Kung Pow!, the source material (Tiger and Crane Fists) was already MST3K-level campy, and Duel Masters never had any heart in it to begin with (as it was borne out of Wizards of the Coast attempting to play follow-the-leader with Yu-Gi-Oh!, then abandoning it when it wasn't going as planned). I have never seen Kaijudo on The Hub/Discovery Kids though, but I do remember the cards being sold at Anime Expo, and I continue to see vendors for boxes of unopened packs at collectible shows.

Another thing to make note of, regarding Duel Masters, is that Wizards turned down all of the established names in anime localization for reasons I cannot comprehend and turned to Plastic Cow Productions, which had previously only worked on tongue-in-cheek live-action sitcoms, most notably Greg the Bunny. Asking a faithful anime dub out of them is like asking Image Comics to adapt Doc MacStuffins. (To my knowledge, Tomy is in charge of Kaijudo and thus it'd be handled much differently.)

One last thing is that a gag dub and a faithful dub for the same production can both be good. Hence why Abridged Series for even well-made shows like One Piece and Attack on Titan can take off and gather fans of the source material too.
consignia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

As per fansubs, considering how old the show it it's no surprise. The fansubbing scene back in 2000 was a lot different than today. A lot of shows went unsubbed, especially a lot of ones aimed at kids. I suppose it's similar to Shin-chan then. In Shin-chan's case I suppose Funi felt it's the only way to sell a long running series to the west. I don't see why Ghost Stories had to suffer the same style of dubbing, though. The market scene has changed I supposed, because a similar anime called Occult Academy got no dub at all when it was released here, which I suppose is a step up in respectful treatment. I fear what will happen to Youkai Watch when it gets released here, though.

Occult Academy wasn't a candidate for a contemptuous dub like the others you mention here, as it was a late night series not aimed at kids like the others. I think even if it was made 10 years earlier it would have been treated similarly, although possibly not fan subbed.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Touma wrote:

-Stuart Smith

I don't think you realize that, at least in the case of Ghost Stories, Aniplex wanted it to be a gag dub, because it sold extremely poorly and no one cared about it because it was crap. They wanted it to sell well in NA, so they told ADV to do whatever they wanted with it. In fact, the voice actors didn't even recieve scripts, just general plot elements.

Which I'm glad for because, honestly, Ghost Stories sucks. The dub is the only reason why anyone would enjoy it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5