• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Takeshi Kitano is Critical of the Japanese Film Industry and Miyazaki

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siliva

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it's news to anyone that big companies generally don't like taking risks on new and unknown talent.

I kind of which he went into more detail about why he doesn't like Miyazaki though. I personally don't not like Miyazaki, but I don't have undying praise for his work like most people do. So it would have been nice to hear what he thought beyond "I don't like him but opinions and stuff, man".
Octulus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:55 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by Octulus on Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Aw, you'd think that ol' Takeshi and Miyazaki would be best friends. They both hate modern Japanese society and technology. Essentially, they both also have the mentality that any other film not made by their hands is garbage. I love both of their works, but they're pretty much grouchy old men.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:13 pm Reply with quote
MetalUpa1014 wrote:
Aw, you'd think that ol' Takeshi and Miyazaki would be best friends. They both hate modern Japanese society and technology. Essentially, they both also have the mentality that any other film not made by their hands is garbage. I love both of their works, but they're pretty much grouchy old men.

Kitano is far-rightist, while Miyazaki is a leftist though. So they both hate modern Japan ( I am pretty sure that Miyazaki also hates "old" Japan ), but for different reasons.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:33 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
MetalUpa1014 wrote:

Kitano is far-rightist, while Miyazaki is a leftist though. So they both hate modern Japan ( I am pretty sure that Miyazaki also hates "old" Japan ), but for different reasons.

Ah, I knew about Miyazaki's politics, but not Kitano's. What are exactly Kitano's views as a far-rightest? From what I've heard, I thought that he was pretty critical of things now.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote
danilo7 wrote:

I was about to say, Kitano and Miyazaki are polar opposites when it comes to politics (and film), so I'm not surprised at all with what Kitano said.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ah, I knew about Miyazaki's politics, but not Kitano's. What are exactly Kitano's views as a far-rightest? From what I've heard, I thought that he was pretty critical of things now.

I distinctly remember his comments about gay marriage being a slippery slope into bestiality.
scriver058

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Damn, there goes my hopes of Takeshi lending his voice to Studio Ghibli's next work.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Quote:

I distinctly remember his comments about gay marriage being a slippery slope into bestiality.

That was confirmed to be a misquote (and probably a mistranslation too) from a joke:
http://kotaku.com/5912220/beat-takeshi-explains-his-controversial-gay-marriage-remark

The joke was probably in poor taste to begin with, but that only reflects the general Japanese view on homosexuality unfortunately. You could even argue they're more anti-gay than they are here in the US. Still, I don't think Kitano himself really hates gay people judging by his apology. But that's just my opinion.

With the amount of times Kitano has criticized the Japanese government, I'm not so sure you can call him far-right. Just by watching his films, you can tell he hates authority and arbitrary rules.

I personally have to wonder what his views on WWII are though. He was in Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence, so I imagine that he isn't denying Japanese war crimes like most far-right nationalists do. Miyazaki on the other hand is a pacifist as we all know and is horrified at what the Japanese did during the war.

Regardless, I do admire both man greatly. Japanese society has so many norms that these guys just completely step over with their work. You gotta respect them for being so bold at the very least.
ShaolinWolf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
MetalUpa1014 wrote:

He's also against interracial marriage.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:06 pm Reply with quote
ShaolinWolf wrote:
MetalUpa1014 wrote:

He's also against interracial marriage.

Source? Can't seem to find it.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote
But i am interracial. Crying or Very sad
That said i like enough of his movies and him complaining about Miyazaki is old hat and kind of expected. At least he was friendly and he has a bit of a point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I can't say he's totally wrong. I also dislike Miyazaki but as far as animation goes, I don't know what he has against the whole medium.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote
FKNEL has he aged, but then who hasn't?
Kitano wrote:
"I don't like animation... I really don't like Hayao Miyazaki, but it is important to recognize other opinions."
Fair enough. I can understand where he's coming from with that. His art is in complete competition which the art of anime, and when anime gets awards that live action do not it can be a bit annoying for those who give their blood, sweat, and tears for their art.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:53 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
MetalUpa1014 wrote:
You could even argue they're more anti-gay than they are here in the US.

Until Japan has lynch mobs for homosexuals like we do, I don't see how. And that problem only seems to be increasing every year here, sadly.

yeah, this really makes no sense. Records of homosexuality have been present in their art for a while and while I'm not sure how accurate, wikipedia stated that Japan has a long history of homosexuality in its past as shown here

I heard a small bit of antidotal evidence saying that homosexuality is seen as a sort of stepping stone towards regular heterosexual relations. Wouldn't surprise me if its true since they seem to be comfortable with sexuality and nudity(onsens being one possible example). I can't fully support my statements since I have no real intensive study of Japanese culture but I do believe that they are slightly more comfortable with homosexuality than the States
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5