• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sherlock Bones GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quote
review wrote:
...and at only seven volumes, this isn't a scary investment of time or money. So come along with Takeru and Sherdog – the game's afoot.

Just be aware it got abruptly cancelled at that volume seven, with no wrap-up and several plot lines ongoing. But other than that, I agree it was a fun read...
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:09 pm Reply with quote
In at least one of the original stories Sherlock lets a culprit (even a murderer!) get away with it because he thought the victim deserved it. Does "Sherdog" have any doubts on the subject or does he fill the "solve all the crimes" role while Takeru explores the ambiguity?[/quote]
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I rented volume 1 at the library a few months ago out of curiosity. I really enjoyed it. I'm sad to hear it was canceled.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote
It amazes me that Japanese media aimed at children handles such mature topics. Kids dying would rarely happen in the US. Detective Conan would be an after school cartoon in Japan but a late night feature in the US.

I am reluctant to try Sherlock Bones because it was canceled, but if there are at least a couple of good arcs in those 7 volumes I think I will be happy. It's good to get my detective fix outside of Detective Conan every now and then.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I saw this at Books-a-Million yesterday and was tempted. Might still pick it up - I think my little sister might like it too. Murder and puppies are two of her favorite things.

(Except, uh, I don't think she's combined them. I hope.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
In at least one of the original stories Sherlock lets a culprit (even a murderer!) get away with it because he thought the victim deserved it. Does "Sherdog" have any doubts on the subject or does he fill the "solve all the crimes" role while Takeru explores the ambiguity?
[/quote]

Which story was that?
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Fronzel wrote:
In at least one of the original stories Sherlock lets a culprit (even a murderer!) get away with it because he thought the victim deserved it. Does "Sherdog" have any doubts on the subject or does he fill the "solve all the crimes" role while Takeru explores the ambiguity?

Which story was that?

"The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton". In the story it's important that Holmes was not hired to solve this murder but for something else (Holmes is private detective, after all). When asked by police to help investigate the murder, Holmes says "my sympathies are with the criminals, and I will not handle the case."

Here's a synopsis if you're interested.
1thought

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I guess every series that runs in Weekly Shonen Magazine has mandatory fanservice?
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:33 am Reply with quote
I've read this manga a few times and I can say,it's really good. I'd love to see a good kidnapping story thrown in there once in a while to add some variety to it. In many of the stories,it showed the crime being committed by the perpetrator,like what was done in the old series "Columbo." I think that the people who made this manga might have seen the show and decided to throw that influence in there.
I'll probably get some flak for this but I hope they have the descendants of Holmes and Watson come for a visit to Japan and I hope that they're American in "Sherlock Bones." I'd love to see that. What do you guys think about that?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:19 am Reply with quote
Crime stories where the crime is being shown and the perpetrator's identity is not hidden has become a rather common thing, at least in American crime shows like CSI and Criminal Minds. The author may have been inspired from more modern sources.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:40 am Reply with quote
That's a good point, leafy sea dragon - the technique used is much more common to contemporary crime drama than classic Holmes-style mystery. It's interesting that Ando is using modern preferences with his Holmes story, since that's not often the way it goes...but then again, Sherlock isn't often an adorable puppy either. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1