• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Adds Bakuman Anime with English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Yeah when I interviewed one of the guys at Otakon there was a certain sheepishness with regard to the title. I guess it's just stuck in the ether.

I was bummed and remained bummed; there's a lack of "really effin' interesting" adult shows coming out stateside right now, and I think there was a substantive number of cultural issues addressed by ZS in a fairly articulate way.

Bakuman? Read about 15 or so installments of it back when I had time. Thought it was more interesting for exposing the nature of manga production more so than anything else. This is an interesting "get" for MB, but it's not really something I (personally) feel an undying need to watch.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:21 pm Reply with quote
The American Average wrote:
TokyoGetter wrote:
So can we assume that Zetsubou Sensei just going to rot on the vine?

And i thought i was the only one who remembered this

Really? You can pretty much be guaranteed that any MB licensing announcement will have at least 5 or 6 posters asking when SZS will finally be released. You can set your watch by it.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:21 pm Reply with quote
The American Average wrote:
TokyoGetter wrote:

And i thought i was the only one who remembered this

I ordered it on 8/6/10 & have been waiting patiently for it to ship someday. Granted the record was something like 2 yrs for a yaoi book (between order & shipping due to re-schedules)
I have always loved MB. People love to dis them because they have a lot of ecchi & hentai, but they are the ones who consistantly bring us yaoi anime & other wonderful titles such as 12 Kingdoms, Berserk, Figure 17, Gokudo, Harlock titles, Magic Knight Rayearth, Giant Robo, Otogi Zoshi, Samurai Deeper Kyo, & Tekkaman Blade. They are my usual hope for licensing older titles.
I thought the issue arose at the height of the anime licensing bubble where they paid way too much for the Goddess title they bought (comments it was possible they may never break even on that one, but felt they needed an A-title). They seem to have settled back into ecclectic which is what I expect out of them.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:51 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
I have always loved MB. People love to dis them because they have a lot of ecchi & hentai, but they are the ones who consistantly bring us yaoi anime & other wonderful titles such as 12 Kingdoms, Berserk, Figure 17, Gokudo, Harlock titles, Magic Knight Rayearth, Giant Robo, Otogi Zoshi, Samurai Deeper Kyo, & Tekkaman Blade. They are my usual hope for licensing older titles.

Yeah I'm a Media Blasters fan and I wish them the best of luck. I'm just a bit rankled because I liked ZS so much. They've also released a lot of cool genre and exploitation live action films as well.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:51 pm Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:

>< you want it too? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad I do too.
jacksonh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Media Blasters seems to be on a roll lately.

Good for them!

I guess Queen's Blade is making enough $$$ for them that they're able to include English dubs for all these new shows they've licensed.

As for the "big title" (if it isn't Bakuman) I hope it's the Berserk movie. Very Happy
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I might have to buy a Media Blasters title. Super surprised they got this, as I expected Viz to get it just like everyone else. I'm a little iffy on the quality of the anime, so it would be nice if they streamed it too, bu I dont think MB has gone that route yet.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm Reply with quote
YES!!!!!! Thank you Media Blasters!!! Very Happy

Never thought they'd pick this up. I thought VIZ Media or FUNimation Entertainment would try picking it up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hotaruzuki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Woah..........I can't imagine this ending well. Bakuman is kind of a niche thing isn't it? Well, how well this sells is gonna have a lot to do with the pricing in my opinion.

Its just....such an odd title to pick up. Especially to dub.

I mean, I LOVED it but its not for everyone. A lot of people get frustrated with the pacing. With it coming out every month or so with only 7 episodes......I just don't know.

But maybe I'm just underestimating Bakuman.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I'd rather they'd gotten Beelzebub, but I guess they need that sexist creep money. Laughing
Toriko36

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised nobody commented on the fact that they will be releasing only 7 episodes a volume. I understand the need to generate revenue, but the fact that they will be releasing 4 volumes at a MSRP of maybe, $20-30 a volume.

I for one, only buy complete sets at a reasonable price. For example, Samurai Champloo complete boxset, under $30, in my opinion that's a great buy and good sales practice from Funimation.

Media Blasters asking fans/customers to pay over $100 for Bakuman? Not the best idea.

For example, my buddy just bought the complete 1st season, all 25 episodes of Bakuman, the Malaysian boxset for $20 in Chinatown (NYC). Video and Audio quality are excellent, just like any North American distributed dvd boxset. I'm all for supporting the North american distributors/licensors, but they need to be more realistic and reasonable. At least cut the series in half, not into 4 parts.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

...They haven't said a word about it and it's now it's more than a year past the one release date that they had given it.

I have no idea why they have sat on that property for so long. If it's cause of Japan, then they should just say so. If it's because they don't think Americans will buy something that has intelligent, social commentary/satire mixed with dark humor then they should just say so. The bottom line is that they should say something about it, and they have failed to do so...

I still don't understand whats going on there. There not even dubbing Zetsubou Sensei, I mean they paid for the license, its got to be a waste to not even try to print it.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:20 pm Reply with quote
finally, they're getting some really good titles! Can't wait to own this! x3 Though, it looks like I'm gonna hafta wait for a complete set if they ever release that. D:
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Toriko36 wrote:
I for one, only buy complete sets at a reasonable price. For example, Samurai Champloo complete boxset, under $30, in my opinion that's a great buy and good sales practice from Funimation.

The difference, of course, is that Samurai Champloo is a re-re-release whereas this is a first release. Look at the MSRP of the new releases by FUNi, they just may surprise you.

Toriko36 wrote:
For example, my buddy just bought the complete 1st season, all 25 episodes of Bakuman, the Malaysian boxset for $20 in Chinatown (NYC).

Your friend bought a bootleg. Congrats.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Wow, just wow. And by wow, I mean I seriously did not see this coming, especially with a English Dub. I had a feeling it would be either Media Blasters or Viz Media, but for it be dubbed as well really is quite amazing.

The Bakuman manga is one of my top five favorite manga series current ongoing and the anime is great as well.

Excellent job Media Blasters, nice work getting this series and dubbing it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4