• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Free! Eternal Summer English Dub Casts Vic Mignogna as Rin

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZanraiKid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote
They're getting the Ouran High School Host Club back together!
Yullenator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:
Ok, I know literally nothing about English voice actors but why are some people(well, more than that) hating on this Vic Mignogna guy?

Rumour mill?

Hm, where do I start. How about the time he made excuses for saying "sounds like there's a holocaust going on outside"?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OawZfsKKK8o#t=544

Oh, or the homophobic bull claims of Fai and Kurogane not being gay because apparently he speaks Japanese and CLAMP told him?
http://youtu.be/8RdHhHkh6Rw?t=4m
And then to top it off, he put Fai in heteronormative female gender roles, forgetting that he's a guy?

That's more than enough to be disgusted by this guy and not want him to be associated with the romantic sweetheart that is Rin.

Before he goes and changes any lines or doesn't take his role seriously and ends every one of his lines with "no homo".

inb4
Sousuke: "No wonder you fell for him." (Yes, it's "fell". Crunchy and HS's subs are off a bit.)
Vic!Rin: "lol like in the pool right? IKR BRO I'M NOT GAY"

Vic!Rin: "I found some guys I want to swim with! That's right, guys! Plural! Even though the novels make it extremely obvious that I joined Iwatobi just so I could chase after Haru! Even though the Crunchy subs translated that line wrong into a plural! Smile Not gay, because I'm making anime here, not a novel!"

Nevermind the endless complaints of him creeping on underaged girls--those aren't just rumours.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Kind of weird how this has all played out. Free gets announced, my expectations are incredibly low (Keep in mind this was around the time when KyoAni hit rock bottom with Tamako Market). I watch the show and it turned out to be the only good thing KyoAni made all year.

Tatum is cast in the dub, I'm hyped. Greg Ayres is cast, my expectations sink like a brick. Johnny Yong Bosch and Vic Mignogna get cast and suddenly I'm excited once again eagerly anticipating the next announcement.

I am a straight white male looking forward to the English dub of a fujoshi aimed Japanese cartoon series where Greg Ayres voices a lead character. Where did my life go so wrong?

apapazukamori wrote:
Mr. Mignogna is notoriously homophobic and yet winds up playing characters who are either canonically gay/bi like Fay Flourite from Tsubasa, or whose series have massive BL subtext (like Free!). He's also a total creep that pervs on female fans at conventions.
Uh, no. He's not a homophobe. He doesn't judge people for being gay or liking yaoi. He just doesn't like yaoi himself. That's it. Honestly I'd gladly sign weird shit if I were in his position but I respect that not everyone thinks the same way I do.

As for his behaviour at conventions, I saw him in person at Supanova earlier this year. The only time I'd describe his behaviour as 'creepy' is when girls, for one reason or another, outright asked him to do those sorts of things and he just sort of went along with it because he wanted to be nice. He hugged people, he recited slightly pervy lines from some of his shows and all sorts of things. But only because they asked.

Come on now, these disgusting misconceptions are getting really old. You can say whatever you want about his acting skills but he's probably one of the nicest people I've ever met.

Last edited by SquadmemberRitsu on Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote
No matter his ego, rudeness, whatever, the guy still needs a job.

Let him work.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I've come to realize that mentioning Vic Mignogna on an anime forum is like the Boodocks' equivalent of throwing a chair into a large crowd of people.

It's guaranteed to start a full-on riot, no matter when, no matter where.
Supermutant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote
kourtney.dixon.9 wrote:
phoenixalia wrote:
Ok, I know literally nothing about English voice actors but why are some people(well, more than that) hating on this Vic Mignogna guy?

Because many rumors are going around saying that he is a horrible person; he would be rude towards his die hard fans. I don't believe it because when I met him, he was nice. People need to realize that no one is perfect and we all have our bad days. Also, I think another reason why people are hating on him is because he is very popular and has done many roles (overrated); I guess people are tired of seeing his name on the cast list. :/

Really? I have seen and heard the guy at AnimeNext spend hours and hours way after he had to singing autographs to make sure everyone had a chance to get one/
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Talk about uninspired casting. Confused

I'm not even mad, I had no intention of watching the dub once Greg Ayres was announced as Nagisa, but I'm bothered that they couldn't find somone else.

I mean, I'm fine with Vic as a person and as a VA, but did Funi have to go the extremely safe and boring route?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote
these five guys have huge female fanbases. put them together in a show aimed mainly at a female audience, and the money, among other things, will flow. Smart marketing strategy
CrucialMoments

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:06 pm Reply with quote
The problem with Vic is that he doesn't try anymore. All his charas end up sounding exactly like his normal,everyday voice or Edward Elric. He used to be a good VA. There were a few times where I actually had to look it up,because I didn't believe it was him. But now he just accepts rolls,and then just goes in the booth and talks. I don't think people would hate on him as much,if he would try. If fans knew he would put in effort,and attempt to change his voice,then at least they would give him the benefit of the doubt.

And as for him "hitting on fans" I've been going to cons for over 8 years,and he's been a guest at a ton of them. I've personally have never seen him hitting on a fan. I've seen him talk,play along,goof around with fans,and that's it. He enjoys having meetups and knows how to keep his fangirls interested without being too inappropriate. That's good marketing imo lol

And as for his religious beliefs. Yes,he does have strong beliefs. And yes,he has told a friend of mine that he does not believe some of his charas to be gay,etc. But you have to remember that he is a straight male,and a lot of guys find yaoi weird anyways lol

I'm not pro Vic or Anti Vic. Do I think he should get this role? No,because he hasn't had any work recently that would convince me that he can bring out Rin to the fullest. Ex:Tamaki from Ouran. Tamaki has a range of voices. His host voice,serious voice,goofing around,etc. Those voices are made clear in the sub. In the dub,the voice is continuous. Not even a slightly different range.
Rin is the same way. He's an emotional chara. I just don't see the variety of emotions coming out of Vic.
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Whelp, this will make cons far less interesting and far more infuriating. I knew he wanted to wiggle his way into the dub but I think he would have been better as Kisumi. I'm not really a fan of Vic so not a fan of this decision. I knew it was probably going to be Vic but wish they had gone in another direction like with Matthew Mercier or just kept with Shark McShark. At least he's not Makoto. I was so afraid that Funi would cast him and he'd sound like Tamaki which would have been just terrible. Maybe with Rin's aggressive personality he won't sound as whiny as he usually does. I know I'm being really negative but damn I just really don't like Vic.

For those of you who don't know about Vic and don't go to cons you can listen to the ANNCast Down with the Vic-ness and get a good idea of what he's like (I would post a link but my phone and I are just not cooperating today). I personally took it as spoiler[he's a egotistical, self-serving bible thumper] but that's just me. Mind you sometimes I wish I hadn't listened so I wouldn't feel so irate when Vic is mentioned (I was already not that fond of him as a voice actor prior to listening). I have people like him around me and they just ruffle my feathers the wrong way.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Alright, so Greg Ayres is Nagisa, J. Michael Tatum is Rei, Johnny Yong Bosch is Makoto, Todd Haberkorn is Haruka, and now Vic Mignogna is Rin...
I think they'll will fare well these starring characters of Free, so I'm looking forward to watching this show.

However...
I think it really is about time Funimation started looking into hiring some new seiyuu- I'm having a feeling that the names of these seiyuu are starting to become more abundant...
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

However...
I think it really is about time Funimation started looking into hiring some new seiyuu- I'm having a feeling that the names of these seiyuu are starting to become more abundant...

talent pool is currently around 300 people deep
meggu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Supermutant wrote:

Really? I have seen and heard the guy at AnimeNext spend hours and hours way after he had to singing autographs to make sure everyone had a chance to get one/

"well yeah, but rumor has it...!"
"but my girlfriend who's friends with some guy who knows a guy who works at a convention said that...!!"
"well I heard that...!!!!!"

see where I'm going with this?

sakuragtin wrote:
For those of you who don't know about Vic and don't go to cons you can listen to the ANNCast Down with the Vic-ness and get a good idea of what he's like (I would post a link but my phone and I are just not cooperating today).

Even better: Go on youtube, look up "Vic Mignogna Panel", and sit back and get a sense for yourself what kind of person he is instead of hearing it from someone else?

At any rate, to get back to the topic, I wish Vic along with everyone else the best (if the dub isn't finished yet... probably is).

Last edited by meggu on Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
MagicallyDelicious

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:20 pm Reply with quote
They should have just re-cast Miyano as Rin in the English dub, too. His English was fine in the Australia episode.

I am almost entirely uninformed when it comes to what specific English dub actors sound like (I've heard them in passing but don't know who is who) so all I want to say is no one can voice a character better than Miyano can, so no matter who does it, they're starting at a disadvantage haha.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I actually SEE his voice going with Rin, but I honestly wished someone else was playing him. Is it strange that I think the voice fits, but it doesn't fit at the same time lol?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9