• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Free! Eternal Summer English Dub Casts Vic Mignogna as Rin

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I chose to dislike Vic for making this awful thing.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:06 pm Reply with quote
CrucialMoments wrote:
The problem with Vic is that he doesn't try anymore. All his charas end up sounding exactly like his normal,everyday voice or Edward Elric. He used to be a good VA. There were a few times where I actually had to look it up,because I didn't believe it was him. But now he just accepts rolls,and then just goes in the booth and talks. I don't think people would hate on him as much,if he would try. If fans knew he would put in effort,and attempt to change his voice,then at least they would give him the benefit of the doubt.

This here is a a director problem, not the fault of the voice actor

The director is in charge of everything once that actor is inside the recording booth. If a VA ends up using the same voice as every other role,, it's the director that really doesn't care and figures their type-cast voice will do the job

If the actor ends up falling short on a role, that's the director not caring about he final product

Have you notice with English dubbed anime, more effort will be put into a higher profile show or something more artsy, while fan-service shows won't sound as great?

That's because the director's don't care. This is why a lot of Sentai dubs fall short, because the director's just aren't putting all their effort into the title

Wait and see who the director will be for Free!, I'm hoping it'll be Chris Bevins because he did such an amazing job with Karneval
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:09 pm Reply with quote
*three hours later; removes helmet*

Okay, I think Vic as Rin is obviously meant for an Ouran cast reunion more so than him (or Todd as Haru) being the right match for their characters. But, whatever; I have no qualms with his voice acting, I've met him in person, and I have heard the ANNCast with him as a guest.

But, this gives me high hopes that Caitlin Glass, Monica Rial, and Travis Willingham might play Amakata, Gou, and Sousuke or Coach Sasabe. I really want to buy this now more than ever.
Yullenator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
Just because one of the cast is a (maybe) jerk doesn't mean you should not purchase this. That's like me returning my Penguindrum dvd's because the guy who plays Kanba is spoiler[ a statutory rapist. ] You can watch it subbed if you feel that strongly about it, but at least support the release if you're a Free! fan.

Or if you're really insistent like me, just buy the Japanese BDs when you can and use the Aegisub subtitles from other (cough) sources.

And you should probably correct some of the translation errors that pretty much all versions made:
(e.g. "why can't I be free?" in s1 should've been "why didn't you write 'free'?", "I found some guys I want to swim with" is just singular "guy" (Haru) not "guys", and "I can see why you're so taken with him" should be "I can see why you fell for him" which would be the more accurate translation.)

Paul Soth wrote:

ಠ _ಠ That weeaboo turdbasket just ain't right.

[EDIT: Please don't over-quote. -TK]
AyumiHamasaki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Yullenator wrote:

Or if you're really insistent like me, just buy the Japanese BDs when you can and use the Aegisub subtitles from other (cough) sources.

And you should probably correct some of the translation errors that pretty much all versions made:
(e.g. "why can't I be free?" in s1 should've been "why didn't you write 'free'?", "I found some guys I want to swim with" is just singular "guy" (Haru) not "guys", and "I can see why you're so taken with him" should be "I can see why you fell for him" which would be the more accurate translation.)

Paul Soth wrote:

ಠ _ಠ That weeaboo turdbasket just ain't right.

Hehe. Yeah. I imported the first season and I'm currently importing Eternal Summer.

But I was really looking forward to this dub release too. Too bad Funimation had to use this guy for my favorite character. :/

I'm not fond of guys who are openly and proudly hateful towards gay people.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
This dub is just one miscast after another. Are we seriously limited to like 15 VA for English dubs?
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
This dub is just one miscast after another. Are we seriously limited to like 15 VA for English dubs?

I wouldn't be surprised if in the US, yes. There's like 3 or 4 dubbing companies? While anime may be gaining popularity here, it's still not nearly big enough to have as big a casting range as in Japan. Voice acting is already a risky business and anime dubs pay pennies.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Yullenator wrote:
Oh, or the homophobic bull claims of Fai and Kurogane not being gay because apparently he speaks Japanese and CLAMP told him?
http://youtu.be/8RdHhHkh6Rw?t=4m
And then to top it off, he put Fai in heteronormative female gender roles, forgetting that he's a guy?
(rest cut; see p2)

A bit iffy, but so what? So he's not a fan of Yaoi, big deal. He's not spreading some anti-gay agenda or anything.

Besides, J Michael Tatum, the voice of Rei, is actually gay. If Vic was as much of a homophobe as you're saying he is, I'm pretty sure Vic would refuse to work alongside him.

Also, this video was uploaded around 7 years ago. If you're gonna slander someone using a couple of controversial statements as "proof", try and find something more recent.
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if in the US, yes. There's like 3 or 4 dubbing companies? While anime may be gaining popularity here, it's still not nearly big enough to have as big a casting range as in Japan. Voice acting is already a risky business and anime dubs pay pennies.

Don't know how that double posted...

Last edited by Miyanoai on Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Miyanoai wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

according to a DBZ Kai commentary with Sabat and Schemmel, Funi has about 300 people in their talent pool.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:50 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
according to a DBZ Kai commentary with Sabat and Schemmel, Funi has about 300 people in their talent pool.

Wouldn't have guess that, huh? Lol.
xokelpie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
The only reason I'm so mad is because THEY DIDN'T EVEN TRY
Pretty sure they were drunk when casting him...
Hahaha let's cast Vic because he's popular and OBVIOUSLY has the perfect voice for Rin *sarcasm*
looks like I can add Rin to all my Edward Elric sounding favorites. Tamaki OHSHC and Dark D.N Angel Anime cry my bbys forever ruined
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:

Wouldn't have guess that, huh? Lol.

if you dont watch One Piece or Fairy Tail, then yes, that would not be number you would guess

Last edited by getchman on Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Judging from all the bile being spewed here, I'm guessing that Vic probably went to a bunch of people's houses and pissed in their coffee. Rolling Eyes

I keep seeing the same tired arguments over and over again. Can't you people come up with new material? More importantly, can't people stop being so damn thirsty for Mamoru Miyano and his ilk?
AyumiHamasaki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
Judging from all the bile being spewed here, I'm guessing that Vic probably went to a bunch of people's houses and pissed in their coffee. Rolling Eyes

No but he IS a homophobic jerk. So, yeah. That is a big deal to a lot of people. Maybe not to you obviously. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9