• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Free! Eternal Summer English Dub Casts Vic Mignogna as Rin

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
championferret

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Man, did this really have to be the first thing I hear about waking up?
I joked with a friend about this exact thing months ago and must have jinxed it. Sorry everyone, my bad.

On the plus side hearing someone like vic try to emote (which rin does a lot of) could be unintentionally hilarious.

I guess i can take this as confirmation that the entire release will be incredibly embarassing, cant wait to see the blurb they write on the dvds.
wolf4537

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I like Vic, but I just don't understand all the hate for him. Either way, this is a great cast and I will definitely get into this series. Smile
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Wow, lots of butt-hurt I see in this topic.

Don't worry, everyone! Raymond's here to help. Laughing
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Eh, Nishizaki, creator of Space Battleship Yamato, was a self-avowed nationalist, and ya guys would still go see his works. Smile
gothicangel89

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:01 pm Reply with quote
What is with everyone talking about Vic being homophobic when the show is not even yaoi to begin with?
meggu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote
AyumiHamasaki wrote:

LOL. Do you even know what you're talking about? Your explanation is ridiculous. It's like that argument by racist people. "I work with black people, so I can't be racist." or "I have black friends so I can't be racist." - "I have gay relatives so I can't be homophobic."

"An actual homosexual" - Do some people really talk that way? LOL. How embarrassing.

Sorry but I can't really take you seriously with that argument.

Instead of sidestepping his argument on the grounds that you can't "take it seriously" legitimately respond with a counter with some actual weight to it.

Sure, the whole, "I can't be racist because I associate with X" is a point that you refuted, but what about his point that Tatum likes to work with the guy? Tatum is openly gay and regularly features on panels with Vic. Tatum states multiple times that he and Vic are good friends. What about that?

Seems like this is more an attack on Vic's viewpoints, which has evolved into a defamation of his character, which is pretty ridiculous. Not being a fan of yaoi or not agreeing with a certain lifestyle ≠ homophobe.

God forbid should someone with a different opinion on certain things come into contact with some of you people.

gothicangel89 wrote:
What is with everyone talking about Vic being homophobic when the show is not even yaoi to begin with?

What you have is a classic case of people investing too deep into something that was not explicitly confirmed to begin with and stewing in their own fantasies until they look for any small, minuet detail to confirm that their fantasies are actually canon.

No, it's not yaoi. But hardcore fans in this fandom will beat you down into submission to prove it otherwise.

Anyway. Stay classy, Free! fandom.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
But I've already explained why he isn't homophobic. He's worked closely with J. Michael Tatum, an actual homosexual on several big time shows, like Ouran, FMA:B, and now Free. If he was actually homophobic, he could just turn the roles down and he doesn't even have to explain why.

The same goes for Tatum. If Vic was a homophobe, Tatum would hate his guts and simply refuse to work with him. But they don't hate each other. Not even remotely.

I don't know whether that's true about Tatum's sexuality, but I kind of wonder if you've ever met any actual LGBT people if you're going to make this claim.

Speaking as one--as an ACTUAL BISEXUAL, as you'd likely put it--I've had plenty of friends in the past who were not okay with my sexuality. They weren't close friends, because I could never really be close friends with someone who was bigoted toward that aspect of who I am, something I consider very important to me and which I cannot change. But I did consider them friends, talked to them about other things, and enjoyed spending time with them for the most part. And on the other end: A lot of people who are homophobic for religious reasons see it as "hate the sin, love the sinner". They appreciate who you are otherwise, while just disagreeing with one part of you. Which I mean, people do with friends all the time. There are individual parts of other friends I have that I'm not fond of, but that doesn't change the whole.

It's still pretty crappy, because homosexuality and bisexuality shouldn't be seen as a "sin" and you shouldn't take issue with it in the first place. (And I'm not going to get into the theological arguments but, in this age of LGBT-affirming churches, "being a Christian" is no excuse. You can choose to examine and evolve your faith. I can't choose not to be bi.) And as I said, for me it's a little too close to my heart for me to consider you a true "friend" if you take issue with that aspect of who I am. But I know I don't necessarily speak for all LGBT people. Many of them consider their sexuality/gender identity a relatively small part of who they are, and something they could easily just leave by the wayside for an otherwise good friendship, for someone who brings a lot of other stuff to the table. LGBT people aren't a monolith, and you shouldn't claim to speak for all of us, especially when I get the sense (from how you're phrasing your sentences) that you're not LGBT yourself.

And I mean, a lot of why I'm able to pick and choose more now is where I live (in a big city in a blue state, surrounded by other students and young people who are generally accepting or even LGBT themselves). When I was growing up in the Midwest, that wasn't the case. You have to make do with the friends you can find if you're in a situation where truly accepting people are rare. What's more, LGBT people can also have internalized homophobia/biphobia/transphobia, just as a lot of women can be sexist. This is all why the "but I have black/gay/trans friends" statement is usually considered a really crappy excuse for bigotry.

LGBT people are a humongous, varied group of people who can't be simplified down to a 1=1 equation like you're trying to do here. The reasons we are friends with people or not are really complicated and often have to do with a lot more than our sexuality and how they feel about it. Just like with anyone else.

Last edited by SailorTralfamadore on Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AyumiHamasaki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
meggu, please read SailorTralfamadore's post. It will give you some perspective in life.
meggu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:

I don't know whether that's true about Tatum's sexuality, but I kind of wonder if you've ever met any actual LGBT people if you're going to make this claim.

Speaking as one--as an ACTUAL BISEXUAL, as you'd likely put it--I've had plenty of friends in the past who were not okay with my sexuality. They weren't close friends, because I could never really be close friends with someone who was bigoted toward that aspect of who I am, something I consider very important to me and which I cannot change. But I did consider them friends, talked to them about other things, and enjoyed spending time with them for the most part. And on the other end: A lot of people who are homophobic for religious reasons see it as "hate the sin, love the sinner". They appreciate who you are otherwise, while just disagreeing with one part of you. Which I mean, people do with friends all the time. There are individual parts of other friends I have that I'm not fond of, but that doesn't change the whole.

It's still pretty crappy, because homosexuality and bisexuality shouldn't be seen as a "sin" and you shouldn't take issue with it in the first place. (And I'm not going to get into the theological arguments but, in this age of LGBT-affirming churches, "being a Christian" is no excuse. You can choose to evolve your faith. I can't choose not to be bi.) And as I said, for me it's a little too close to my heart for me to consider you a true "friend" if you take issue with that aspect of who I am. But I know I don't necessarily speak for all LGBT people. Many of them consider their sexuality/gender identity a relatively small part of who they are, and something they could easily just leave by the wayside for an otherwise good friendship, for someone who brings a lot of other stuff to the table. LGBT people aren't a monolith, and you shouldn't claim to speak for all of us, especially when I get the sense (from how you're phrasing your sentences) that you're not LGBT yourself.

And I mean, a lot of why I'm able to pick and choose more now is where I live (in a big city in a blue state, surrounded by other students and young people who are generally accepting or even LGBT themselves). When I was growing up in the Midwest, that wasn't the case. You have to make do with the friends you can find if you're in a situation where truly accepting people are rare. What's more, LGBT people can also have internalized homophobia/biphobia/transphobia, just as a lot of women can be sexist. This is all why the "but I have black/gay/trans friends" statement is usually considered a really crappy excuse for bigotry.

LGBT people are a humongous, varied group of people who can't be simplified down to a 1=1 equation like you're trying to do here. The reasons we are friends with people or not are really complicated and often have to do with a lot more than our sexuality and how they feel about it. Just like with anyone else.

An eloquent and thorough response that actually answers a question of my own I posed in my previous post.

Thanks for providing that. It's very refreshing, well-thought-out, and really provides some insight.
Knight-Hart

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Wait... Vic isn't gay? I've always thought he was gay.
sypherman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:29 pm Reply with quote
So is there a prize for being the most offended by Vic's "views"?
sypherman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:32 pm Reply with quote
AyumiHamasaki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:37 pm Reply with quote
sypherman wrote:

No but maybe we should have a prize for the most useless comment on the thread. Wink
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Knight-Hart wrote:
Wait... Vic isn't gay? I've always thought he was gay.

No, he's just very, very effeminate.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:42 pm Reply with quote
AyumiHamasaki wrote:
Because a vast majority of the fanbase is fujoshi and gay men. Have you even seen the show?

Do you have any proof of this statement? I know plenty of straight men that enjoy it just as they would any other sports shounen. I do not really appreciate this stereotype that only gay people would find this show entertaining.

-Stuart Smith
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9