• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New The Last -Naruto the Movie- Image Features Naruto x Hinata

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minami-Asakura

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:18 am Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
infamoustakai wrote:
literary level.
I've never heard a shonen series accused of having a high "literary level" before. It's not like Naruto emphasized romance anyway. Next we'll be debating the finer points of Goku and Chi-Chi's relationship in Dragonball.

This indeed.

Its seems new generations like to fantasize a lot in romance, in a pure romance series, its big deal, but here in a shounen manga for teens? We should discussion the battles, the story and how forced the last Gaysuke vs naruto was to finish the manga, too forced, too out of place, the mangaka had indeed very poor writing to find this sorry excuse to end it with a Naruto vs Gaysuke fight, the fight was quichj and pretty meh, how come no-one criticizes this? This is indeed very poor writing and very poor execution from kishimoto, I know he wanted this ending since forever but was unable to find a proper timing for this fight, it was just meh.

It seem this is a trait of the current generation, too much fantasizing with love in anime, all that waifus stuff and the like of todays fans.

Indeed it would have been super bizarre to discuss (and criticize) back in the day the relationship and the lack of development --on screen or paper-- between Goku and Chichi, vegeta and Bulma, Gohan and videl, No. 18 and Krilin, etc Laughing Imagine the hysteria if we were like todays generations back then? Very Happy

Last edited by Minami-Asakura on Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:22 am Reply with quote
Minami-Asakura, I might respect your opinion more when you have improved your grammar.
Minami-Asakura

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:28 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Minami-Asakura, I might respect your opinion more when you have improved your grammar.

So you are a grammar whore? I aint fixing this for a random discussion on naruto and to please you.

If you wanna use this as your easy counter argument, be my guest.
m0x

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:35 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
@Minami-Asakura: I've read Naruto for years. Ch. 295 or 296 has Yamato confirm how Sakura feels about Naruto.

To me, when you have 2 characters who've spent more time together developing their relationship than one occasionally spending time with a supporting character, that's more evidence that they should be together.

I find it somewhat hard to take you seriously with your grammar mistakes.

Naruto hardly interacted with Hinata before ch. 700. If there was a chapter where it was shown that he realized that Sasuke was the 1 for Sakura, then I'd see your point(s) more. However, there wasn't.

As a neutral party, I think you should be able to see Naruto had spent more time with Sakura than Hinata.

I also ship based on characters who are shown to be attracted/love each other. That is, its' shown on panel and not happen off panel like what was the case for NaruHina and SasuSaku between 699-700.

In terms of kissing, if you go by the simplest definition of lips kissing (which I do include), then Sakura doing resuscitation to Naruto was kissing.

I find it more believable and convincing to ship a boy and girl who are shown to regularly interact than a boy and girl who hardly interact.

While debates can be made about who fit Naruto better in terms of personality, I go more with what it shown evidence wise and who Naruto has interacted with more.

I am a firm believer in the trope that the male protagonist should end up with the female protagonist.

Finally, If I was to really express my shipping side and how I felt about the ending, I'd be putting myself up for moderation or a possible ban.

Reminds me of the debates that popped up at the end of JK Rowling's Harry Potter...

Because it's all entertainment for me, I just take them as they're written.
Araki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:36 am Reply with quote
I find it absolutely hilarious how butthut some people still are about this just because they lost a shipping war. Laughing
randy1925

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:51 am Reply with quote
Ahh these comments.. arent shipping wars just the best i cant wait for fairy tail next, although i doubt we'll have anything big like naruto
Minami-Asakura

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:23 am Reply with quote
The shipping wars should have come to close with this ending, the whole manga had this pair developing all the way to the end:

Last edited by Minami-Asakura on Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total
OH&S

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:44 am Reply with quote
^
Honestly, that ending makes a lot more sense than NaruSaku ever did.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:40 am Reply with quote
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Kishi allows NaruHian and SasuSaku to happen but won't do an alternate official ending where NaruSaku, what is with that? He makes 2 major shipping sides happy but leaves out a 3rd major side?

When has any creator of anything ever done an official alternate ending in which alternate romantic pairings are canonized?

Quote:

As far as NaruHina, from the many anime/manga I've come across , I'd say they are 1 of the least developed couples (developed in terms of character development being shown).

They were not hugely developed, but that's what the movie is for. The Naruto manga series was not about developing romances, none of the romantic pairings in the series were developed in any way, but of them, NaruHina was developed far better than NaruSaku was, and anyone that considered Narusaku was even a possibility after Sakura "confessed" to Naruto was just snowblind.

The core Naruto manga was an action manga, not a romance manga. It did not spend any time developing any romances, all it did was establish romantic "hooks," places where a relationship could eventually develop, and then he skipped ahead twelve years or so, to when all those relationships had already taken place. There is a 700 chapter shoujou manga in the middle that we just never read, and that Kishimoto had no interest in writing.

Quote:

With the NaruHina and SasuSaku ending, those shippers would be angry like us NaruSaku shippers had NaruSaku happened.

Not really. It wouldn't have made a lot of sense, but so long as they established that both Hinata and Sasuke found their own happiness, I would have been fine with it.

Quote:
@Minami-Asakura: I've read Naruto for years. Ch. 295 or 296 has Yamato confirm how Sakura feels about Naruto.

Neither of those chapters has anything of the sort. The point is, Sakura has never loved Naruto romantically in any way. Full stop. She grew to love him as a brother, she grew to respect him as a ninja worth following, and she certainly cared deeply about him in that way, but she never wanted a ride. Ever.

Also, about the love triangle, remember Naruto's motivation concerning Sakura ever since Shippuden started. It was to get Sasuke back. . . FOR SAKURA. He fully acknowledged her feelings for Sasuke, and he was driven to bring Sasuke back in part because he knew it would make her happy. She knew this too, and felt responsible for when he pushed himself to achieve this goal.

Quote:

As a neutral party, I think you should be able to see Naruto had spent more time with Sakura than Hinata.

Yes, but romance is not a grind-quest. It's not about the amount of time spent together. You can spend ten years side-by-side with someone and a romance never happens, or you can meets someone and the next day be fully involved in the best romance of your life.

Quote:

In terms of kissing, if you go by the simplest definition of lips kissing (which I do include), then Sakura doing resuscitation to Naruto was kissing.

That's just dumb.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:16 am Reply with quote
As far as I see, Naruto stopped even thinking of Sakura as an option. It was just a crush he had, nothing more. Imo, what Sakura had for Sasuke -_-. That was the most forced pairing in the series.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Imo, what Sakura had for Sasuke -_-. That was the most forced pairing in the series.

It was just never clearly explained. See, things that happened to Naruto got 100% explained. If anyone ever interacted with Naruto in a way that changed their impression of him, we got to see that scene. With Sasuke, a decent amount was explained, most of his pivotal movements got explored, but not necessarily the interactions others had with him. With Sakura, very little of her self was explained. We got a few moments of her in realtime thinking about Naruto or Sasuke, and a couple of flashbacks like her meeting Ino, but mostly we don't know the details of her life because she wasn't the primary character.

So she had strong feelings for Sasuke, and retained them 100% throughout the series. We don't know exactly why. We know that Sasuke is considered much prettier than the other boys in town, and that all the girls crushed on him. We know that he was a total badass, and that couldn't hurt. Sakura likes the bad boys. Now why did she not just get over this crush? Hard to say. We aren't given enough insight into how she thinks. It's even possible that she did get over him, just years later, after they had a kid together. After all while they may still be romantically linked in the epilogue, they may not be, there's no strong evidence either way and he's away from her.

In any case, she was a child when she started crushing on him, and only 17 at the end of the manga, so her romantic interest doesn't have to be purely mature and reasonable. The heart wants what the heart wants and she wants Sasuke, end of story, get over it.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:41 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Quote:

Kishi allows NaruHian and SasuSaku to happen but won't do an alternate official ending where NaruSaku, what is with that? He makes 2 major shipping sides happy but leaves out a 3rd major side?

When has any creator of anything ever done an official alternate ending in which alternate romantic pairings are canonized?

Does 'How I Met Your Mother' count? Laughing

I'm happy that Hinata won in the end. I never really got into the manga, but I liked the character in what I saw of the anime (watched till the 2nd or 3rd arc of Shippuden), so the end pairing pleases me.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:59 am Reply with quote
TV series or movies occasionally do alternate endings in order to obscrute the "true" ending from spoilers (given that hundreds of people see it filmed months in advance). Manga rarely need to do that, and in either case, only the aired ending is considered canon, the rest are apocrypha, like concept art that never makes it into the series.
BrainBlow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:23 am Reply with quote
Sakura is one of the absolute worst, most useless, worst developed female (main)characters of all anime/manga.
Having her end up with Naruto would be taking a wet dump on Naruto as a character.

Never mind how their relationship at no point has even remotely any sort of notable progress after the ordeal with Sasuke starts.
No, she just cries and fails and whines and fails some more, and did I mention that she fails and is totally useless even when "powered up"?

The worst part of this series was when she failed to stab Sasuke, and when he then was prevented from stabbing the useless broad himself.

It's a terrible character and a stale, gross pairing, with or without Hinata ever being an option. Even if Hinata didn't even exist in the story, I would still retch at the thought of a NaruSaku pairing.

But seriously, what's with ANN posting such a huge spoiler on their front page?
That's a douche move to people who have yet to pick up the series, or who haven't caught up.

Minami-Asakura wrote:
The shipping wars should have come to close with this ending, the whole manga had this pair developing all the way to the end:

Glad I'm alone in the house, because I would hate to have to justify the laugh that just came out of me.
Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7