• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New The Last -Naruto the Movie- Image Features Naruto x Hinata

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:49 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Oh, dear! I saw a Hitler reacts video that floated that theory, but people are seriously espousing it now!
BrainBlow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:23 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Oh, dear! I saw a Hitler reacts video that floated that theory, but people are seriously espousing it now!

Wow, some people have clearly gone insane. This is what happens when you crush a shipping fanbase of many years I guess.
(and did they not get the memo that there will be a mini-series centered around Naruto and Hinata's kids?)
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:59 am Reply with quote
infamoustakai wrote:
Easily one of the worst developed relationships of all time. Especially on a literary level.

A bucket for you for your tears, it'll be delicious for NaruHina fans. Smile
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:00 am Reply with quote
The only people defending the ending are the shippers. To wit, the writing isn't bad because of a pairing. The pairing is bad because of bad writing.

It is the job of the writing to sell me on the relationships, and they utterly failed to make their case every single time.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:16 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
The only people defending the ending are the shippers. To wit, the writing isn't bad because of a pairing. The pairing is bad because of bad writing.

It is the job of the writing to sell me on the relationships, and they utterly failed to make their case every single time.

I agree with you on this. Beyond the shipping, the modernized setting was a big surprise moment for many Narutards.
Minimimiau

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:53 am Reply with quote
Well, I think the fans of the couple will be happy about this.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:21 am Reply with quote
Cool for NaruHina fans. For a while, I could have seen it go NaruHina or NaruSaku, up until Hinata's and Sakura's two different confessions of love for him. At that point I was pretty certain of the final outcome (if there was going to be any shipping at all).

Luckily for me, whether the couple is canon or not doesn't matter to me as long as there's a fandom for my ships. I've never been a fan of SasuSaku - he's an ass, she deserves better (the last chapter only further confirms that for me).

I never put much stock into Kishimoto's development for Sakura anyways. Ever since he made the comment that he's not great at writing girls and that his best idea for a heroine is a girl who doesn't understand men, I figured that I wouldn't care for how he developed Sakura. And that's fine, because it's his series and he can focus on the characters he likes. I'm not the aimed-for demographic anyways. Once again, I rely upon fandom for the focus and development on characters I prefer. And there are several great fanfics out there with well-developed Sakura that I love. And with ships for her that I prefer (which is pretty much anyone who isn't Sasuke Laughing): NaruSaku, KakaSaku, LeeSaku, GaaSaku, ItaSaku, DeiSaku, ShikaSaku, KibaSaku, ShinoSaku, etc. The first three are definitely my favorites though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:35 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Oh my God. That is clutching at straws if I've ever seen it. Laughing

But if you thought that was bad check this out. Very Happy
Bonham

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:49 am Reply with quote
Kishimoto should collaborate with Stephenie Meyer and E.L. James on a multi-media romance.

It could be the worst thing ever made.

willag wrote:
Ever since he made the comment that he's not great at writing girls and that his best idea for a heroine is a girl who doesn't understand men, I figured that I wouldn't care for how he developed Sakura.

It's like the unscientific "Venus and Mars" bull on steroids. Jesus.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:00 am Reply with quote
I just feel like a nicely developed pair is one that you expect at the end. We should be able to say 'I knew it!' Instead of 'ohh, that's who he got with.' I didn't get that with naruhina OR sasusaku. I actually hated Sakura shares a kid with Sasuke in the end. Idk if they're together, but just knowing they had relations after all that crap killed it for me.

Last edited by KENZICHI on Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:22 am Reply with quote
It's not so much the "Venus and Mars" thing though, but that he's defining a heroine in regards to her relationship to the two main heroes. She's not her own character, she's a tagalong who occasionally gets a "cool" moment (Hey look! She can fight and kick butt!) before she's relegated to the sidelines again (and suddenly can't fight as well anymore, as if her "cool" moment was some lucky fluke). And her inspiration for becoming better is simply because she doesn't want to get left behind, defining her in terms of the two mains. It's an ultimately shallow and effortless moment of "awesome" that does not make up for the lack of development of the character overall.

Ultimately, the comparisons between Team 7 and the Sannin are laughable. There's no trinity or equalness in terms of character development or abilities or fighting prowess. It was always 2+1. Sakura's not an equal contributor to the story. She's a sideshow defined by the guys around her.

Once again, it's Kishimoto's story, so he can focus on the characters he wants. It just means that most of my focus is in the fandom. I started reading his manga initially, but once I saw where Sakura was going I stopped. I just checked up on summaries every once in a while to see what was going on, and occasionally looked at a few chapters here and there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:37 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Well, they succeeded for me. So where does that put our opinions on the quality of the series' consistency? =P
BrainBlow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:39 am Reply with quote
Second Fire Shadow wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Oh my God. That is clutching at straws if I've ever seen it. Laughing

But if you thought that was bad check this out. Very Happy

Wow, I feel revulsion and amusement at the same time.
What a bunch of weeaboos.

willag wrote:
It's not so much the "Venus and Mars" thing though, but that he's defining a heroine in regards to her relationship to the two main heroes. She's not her own character, she's a tagalong who occasionally gets a "cool" moment (Hey look! She can fight and kick butt!) before she's relegated to the sidelines again (and suddenly can't fight as well anymore, as if her "cool" moment was some lucky fluke). And her inspiration for becoming better is simply because she doesn't want to get left behind, defining her in terms of the two mains. It's an ultimately shallow and effortless moment of "awesome" that does not make up for the lack of development of the character overall.

Ultimately, the comparisons between Team 7 and the Sannin are laughable. There's no trinity or equalness in terms of character development or abilities or fighting prowess. It was always 2+1. Sakura's not an equal contributor to the story. She's a sideshow defined by the guys around her.

Once again, it's Kishimoto's story, so he can focus on the characters he wants. It just means that most of my focus is in the fandom. I started reading his manga initially, but once I saw where Sakura was going I stopped. I just checked up on summaries every once in a while to see what was going on, and occasionally looked at a few chapters here and there.

Pretty much. Sakura at no point was a good character, and she was only added because they needed some "cute" girl to the story.
In the end she's just been a sickening, annoying tag-along, and I'd argue that Kishimoto's writing of female characters, at least in the early days, were straight up sexist.
But this only makes me feel all the more repulsed by the people whining about that terrible ship, as if Sakura was ever anything but a constant cancer on the story.

Last edited by BrainBlow on Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:41 am Reply with quote
Why would people expect Sakura to go with Naruto after she's been chasing the Uchiha semen for the entire series? That doesn't make any sense. Naruto and Hinata were bound to happen since episode 3, that's Hinatas entire damn character.

Also, Naruto and Hinata had moments every time they were in the same panel. "No development", oh please lmfao.

Besides, this isn't a romance manga. Kishi already said he sucks at writing romances, so I don't get why people are harping on it.
Bonham

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:15 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
It's not so much the "Venus and Mars" thing though, but that he's defining a heroine in regards to her relationship to the two main heroes.

It's definitely both, but I'd agree the worse of the two aspects is being literally defined by the male characters. You have Kishimoto pretty much reinforcing Shikamaru's (early?) skepticism about relationships (and Shikamaru was one of the few characters I still liked by the end), as if men and women are so dramatically different that (when studies have shown that such social differences are more imagined and not statistically significant). You also have these female characters literally defined and strictly inspired by their relationships with male characters. Sakura is an obnoxious Bella to Sasuke's Edward. Hinata's relevance is entirely dependent on Naruto. Tsunade is only motivated by the men in her life (if we get a spotlight on Naruto and Jiraiya, and even Sasuke and Orochimaru's weird relationship, why not Sakura and Tsunade?). The final villain is a deranged mother that cannot be redeemed, unlike most other villains in the story. Kushina is kinda cool... but she's also just another mother and wife, despite how we could have been given more of her history. And so on.

I'm more bothered that, aside from the echoes of Twilight, we have a similar problem as Harry Potter where a story that was barely even tangentially related to romance is suddenly concerned with pairing off its young cast as it gets older, and then showing a world free of conflict for their children to dick around in. I just don't get the anguish or pleasure shipping fans get out of the ending. If this were some well-written shonen like Fullmetal Alchemist or Cross Game, sure, but with this kind of shoddy development and non-existent chemistry...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7