• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New The Last -Naruto the Movie- Image Features Naruto x Hinata

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyougaZell

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote
Honestly? I would have prefered an open ending with no confirmation of pairings. Personally I don't care about Sakura, but I care less about Hinata. My main issue with the ending isn't that Naruto ended with Hinata and not with Sakura, but how Kishimoto changed everything in just a few chapters. I mean... didn't the war take just a few days? Didn't Minato asked Naruto if Sakura was his - something we didn't hear - and Naruto says she is while he smiles?, and then Sakura punches him for it?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:44 am Reply with quote
KidOblivion wrote:
Why would people expect Sakura to go with Naruto after she's been chasing the Uchiha semen for the entire series? That doesn't make any sense. Naruto and Hinata were bound to happen since episode 3, that's Hinatas entire damn character.

Then the writing is bad.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:36 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Ultimately, the comparisons between Team 7 and the Sannin are laughable. There's no trinity or equalness in terms of character development or abilities or fighting prowess. It was always 2+1. Sakura's not an equal contributor to the story. She's a sideshow defined by the guys around her.

Reading this thread reminds me that Team 7 is almost EXACTLY like Kakashi's team. (the "elite" ninja that's generally distant, the girl that's in love with the elite, the brash, loudmouth that wants a rivalry with the elite and wants the girl)

I also agree with the comparison to DB. If you cut off immediately after the time jump and their marriage how insane is Bulma+Vegeta? I'd also note, when the manga starts Naruto is... 10(?) and ends when he's... around 16(?) How many people do you know that married the girl they were into at 16? let alone 10. The final chapter is.. 20 years later? 30? That shows you who Kishimoto ships, and since he's the author, he gets the call. But that was just a "bonus", it wasn't the POINT of the story. The original Star Wars trilogy ends with Obi Wan, Anakin & Yoda standing side-by-side, WHY? Even ignoring events of the prequels all indications are that ObiWan & Yoda don't like Anakin and think he's evil, but suddenly they're all chummy at the end. But its a "feel-good" walk away moment and the story is about Luke defeating the empire, NOT whether or not Anakin & Obi Wan can ever reconcile their friendship.
Minami-Asakura

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:48 pm Reply with quote
RyougaZell wrote:
Honestly? I would have prefered an open ending with no confirmation of pairings. Personally I don't care about Sakura, but I care less about Hinata. My main issue with the ending isn't that Naruto ended with Hinata and not with Sakura, but how Kishimoto changed everything in just a few chapters. I mean... didn't the war take just a few days? Didn't Minato asked Naruto if Sakura was his - something we didn't hear - and Naruto says she is while he smiles?, and then Sakura punches him for it?

No, this is fine for good or bad. The japanese are exasperating with their darn open endings, if you ask me worst than being disappointed with the ending its infinitely worst to not have real closure and know for a fact what really happened. It was unnecessary to show so much pairs thou, it was sufficient to show only Naruto or maybe Sakura, and in her case she should have remained single like Tsunade, not with gaysuke and worst with a kid with that as*hole.

I myself hate open endings, the japanese have no balls most likely because the consequences like in this case and alienating and getting the hate of different factions.

The japanese love to avoid conflict and leave it up to fans to argue about ambiguous open endings. Sucks.

So at the very least I applaud Kishimoto for having the balls to give closure to the shipping wars. BRAVO. Even more this being a shounen battle manga he did not really have to give closure to the romance at all, but he did, BRAVO.

He closed the romance, he showed us that Naruto reached his dream of getting to be Hokage, good closure I must say, as I remember the countless anime I have watched of different eras that suffer from the japanese openness and ambiguity disease and the author conveniently decides to leave up to our imagination, that sucks hard.
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:07 pm Reply with quote
[quote="RyougaZell"]Honestly? I would have prefered an open ending with no confirmation of pairings. Personally I don't care about Sakura, but I care less about Hinata. My main issue with the ending isn't that Naruto ended with Hinata and not with Sakura, but how Kishimoto changed everything in just a few chapters. I mean... didn't the war take just a few days? Didn't Minato asked Naruto if Sakura was his - something we didn't hear - and Naruto says she is while he smiles?, and then Sakura punches him for it?[/quote]

We should be encouraging people to finish their stories, not some lazy ass opening ending BS. Kishimoto ended the story how he wanted to end it. It's sad to say this, but that takes guts now a days.
Minami-Asakura

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote
KidOblivion wrote:

We should be encouraging people to finish their stories, not some lazy ass opening ending BS. Kishimoto ended the story how he wanted to end it. It's sad to say this, but that takes guts now a days.

Indeed.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
The girls ended up with whomever they wanted. It's the guys who got shafted. Naruto and Sasuke didn't really want what they ended up with. Heck, ever notice that at the Five Kage, the women both look like bombshells, while save for forlorn Gaara, the men are old geezers. Laughing
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:38 pm Reply with quote
wow there is alot of rage/butt hurt in this thread, this brings me back to open discussions about naruto 10 years ago. That aside I honestly liked the ending we got, kishimoto did end the series the way he wanted to. @KidOblivion stated that takes guts to do.

I know people will throw that hinata barely had any growth in manga but she did have some major growth in the anime series. I also know the rebuttal will be "but that's not canon to the source material". You know what get the hell over it when I take dragon ball and dbz into account I look both the manga and anime for answers to characters growth.

Now now despite all of this there is one thing that still bugs me. It's naruto never found out he had a living relative spoiler[Karin] and I hope that loose end is tied up eventually.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Minami-Asakura

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

Now now despite all of this there is one thing that still bugs me. It's naruto never found out he had a living relative Karin and I hope that loose end is tied up eventually.

No spoiler tags needed here really.

Anyway, not really, Karin and Naruto are from the Uzumaki clan but not necessarily related as close family.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot were infamous as Hinata fanboys. That doesn't make her more developed, it made the anime worse. Significantly so.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote
You know, with all the interest in doing side-story manga lately, with Naturo's two SD comedy spin-offs, Soul Eater Not, Raligun, etc., why has nobody done a Naruto ladies spin-off of some kind, focused either on Sakura or Hinata or several female characters, with a more shojou focus to it? That clearly isn't the story Kishimoto wanted to tell and I think that's fine, but that doesn't mean there isn't a story there worth telling. He's laid out the bulletpoints for where the character gets to, as Railgun's bulletpoints were laid out in Index, but there's plenty of room to show what happened to the characters when they were off-panel.

Quote:
y main issue with the ending isn't that Naruto ended with Hinata and not with Sakura, but how Kishimoto changed everything in just a few chapters.

Nothing "changed," what ended up happening was what was always going to be happening. Naruto and Sakura never would have ended up together (at the very least this was clear years ago).

Quote:
Naruto and Sasuke didn't really want what they ended up with.

I don't think that's true. I have no doubt that Hinata became his "first choice" by the time they eventually hooked up, he wasn't just "settling." The movie will hopefully make that progression clear.
Minami-Asakura

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

I don't think that's true. I have no doubt that Hinata became his "first choice" by the time they eventually hooked up, he wasn't just "settling." The movie will hopefully make that progression clear.

Apparently that is the whole point of the movie.

Beatdigga wrote:
Pierrot were infamous as Hinata fanboys. That doesn't make her more developed, it made the anime worse. Significantly so.

Does not matter, Kishimoto is the one that decided to hook up Hinata and Naruto, just give it up and learn to live with it.

I see that this was one of the first anime for so many kids and teens, once you get more experience in anime you will see you wont always get the ending you want, eventually you will be able to accept them and not find them as painful when it does not meet your expectations.

This experience will make you stronger for the future Wink

Right now you cannot do anything anymore, its not like Kishimoto will magically retract his ending, its set in stone. The best you can do is stop crying like over spilled milk, there is nothing you can do, start by focusing in another series, forget about Naruto forever or at least for now if its too painful for you.

Last edited by Minami-Asakura on Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
DanielGrubb8

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Manga have to be save from Masashi Kishimoto Trolling.

The Lessons from Naruto.

Girls: Stalk boys = Marriage.

Boys: Date a girl who is stalking you.
RyougaZell

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote
KidOblivion wrote:

Ok. I can accept encouraging not open ends. I usually agree with this. Its just this end... wasn't really satisfying.

What I'll argue is that Kishimoto ended the story how 'he wanted'. Like I said before... I don't care about either Sakura or Hinata. But if he wanted to finish with Hinata, he could have more interaction after Pain's battle. We only really saw one, and that was when Naruto shared the Kyuubi's power to her. I can agree that Hinata's actions against Pain made him aware and could have entered the seed of doubt in him. Its just that he neved did stop pinning for Sakura either, as shown in the conversation with Minato.

Nevertheless... it ended. Its canon now. Some may agree, some may not, but its canon. Canon like the final pairing of The World God Only Knows or the final pairing of Harry Potter or whatever media. Time to move on. What I really dislike is that when someone doesn't like how things ended, some of those that do like it come and prance around with their 'deal with it' attitude.

Cheers

Ohoni wrote:

Nothing "changed," what ended up happening was what was always going to be happening. Naruto and Sakura never would have ended up together (at the very least this was clear years ago).

'Clear years ago'... in the real world you mean. Cause in the war only a few days passed. And when meeting 'zombie' Minato, Naruto still seemed to want Sakura. So... yeah. Needs more transission that the movie will probably show. Not that many of us will see it anyway.
Ronin2081

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote
DanielGrubb8 wrote:
Manga have to be save from Masashi Kishimoto Trolling.

The Lessons from Naruto.

Girls: Stalk boys = Marriage.

Boys: Date a girl who is stalking you.

Would you prefer:

Girls: Beat boys and marry them

Boys: Let girls abuse you and marry them?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7