• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Princess Mononoke BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:
--Oh, uh...okay. Confused

I am afraid that I am not sure of your meaning.

Are you implying that the reason why he liked Princess Mononoke was that it was his first anime?
If so, that makes no sense to me.

It was the best anime he'd ever seen... Rolling Eyes

Which was the case for a lot of people in 1999--Most of them passed favorable or negative judgments on all of anime, based on just this ONE movie.
It's good if it's a gateway drug, but it still helps to view two or more titles before handing Your First all the credit of being the genius that changed your life.

(If you've ever gotten into a Disney discussion with a hardcore Frozen fan, you might hear echoes of this.)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Quote:

Disney certainly was, and we can guess the fans' reason, but Disney bailed too early.

No they didn't. It was handed to Miramax, released into arthouse theaters, then vanished after a few weeks. It wasn't some unceremonial dumping but they didn't pour tens of millions into P&A. Mostly they dealt with fans trying to make double-sure Harvey Weinstein wasn't going to hack the guts out of it and ran that petition to make sure there was a literal sub track on the DVD.

Princess Mononoke was released "wide" in Minneapolis as a test market.

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/news/archives/ghibli-announce/1999-11/0000.html

Message-ID: <0>
    Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 21:43:45 EST
    Subject: [Mononoke] Rallying Cry: Important test marketing in Minneapolis!
    To: [email protected]

Dear anime fans:

This weekend, Princess Mononoke will be released in 13 theaters in
    Minneapolis/St. Paul area, while other big cities such as NY and LA get only
    2 or 3 theaters for Mononoke per city.

This is because Miramax is using Minneapolis/St. Paul as a test market. If
    Mononoke does well in this market, they will give it a wide release.

Currently, Mononoke is in "limited release" status, which means, it's
    released in the top 20 market, in a couple of theaters (mostly art theaters)
    per market. But if it does well in Minneapolis this weekend, it will be
    released in more cities, in more theaters.

So, this is a make or break situation. It is extremely important for Mononoke
    to do well in this market.

Suffice to say, Minneapolis didn't pan out well enough.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Suffice to say, Minneapolis didn't pan out well enough.

Oh yeah, I remember that. Hah. Memories.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:52 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

You still make no sense.

He likes the movie.
I like the movie.
A lot of people like the movie.
Not everybody has the same reasons for liking it, but a lot of us like it simply because it is a very enjoyable movie that is a pleasure to watch.

It has nothing to do with how many other Ghibli movies, or anime in general, we have seen.
We like this movie simply because we enjoy watching this movie.

Is there some reason why you cannot accept that?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Like many, it would seem, Mononoke was my first Ghibli film--I watched it when I was 11, I think. My dad rented it on VHS when it first came out, thinking I would like it. He kind of regretted it when Ashitaka shot someone's arms clean off--and so did I. Laughing

We ended up watching it anyway, but I was probably too young to really appreciate it. I'll have to see it again one of these days.

Incidentally, Lady Eboshi is easily the best Ghibli villain of all time (not that that's saying much--Muska's her only real competition).
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:

You still make no sense.

He likes the movie.
I like the movie.
A lot of people like the movie.
Not everybody has the same reasons for liking it, but a lot of us like it simply because it is a very enjoyable movie that is a pleasure to watch.

It has nothing to do with how many other Ghibli movies, or anime in general, we have seen.
We like this movie simply because we enjoy watching this movie.

Is there some reason why you cannot accept that?

If the Sentimentality argument comes down to "PM, and/or Howl's Moving Castle, was the first Ghibli/anime I'd ever seen!" (Dirty Pair was my first anime, and Kiki was my first Ghibli, if you want to get down to that), let's put it this way:
If you'd grown up on an island, and had never seen a movie before, you would think Transformers 2 was a changing life-experience because...the pictures moved! It was like you were really there!

So you saw PM for the first time...Welcome to Ghibli. Now go watch Totoro, Nausicaa and Spirited Away like normal people, and get back to us.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:17 pm Reply with quote
The Nausicaa manga is actualy a compete(kind of) story. To me the movie is thus a bonus but it gave us Anno. He may very well do the sequels like he sometimes mentions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TEPopka

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Plenty of people have seen Ghibli's other movies, and they like Princess Mononoke just fine.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:55 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

If the Sentimentality argument comes down to "PM, and/or Howl's Moving Castle, was the first Ghibli/anime I'd ever seen!" (Dirty Pair was my first anime, and Kiki was my first Ghibli, if you want to get down to that), let's put it this way:
If you'd grown up on an island, and had never seen a movie before, you would think Transformers 2 was a changing life-experience because...the pictures moved! It was like you were really there!

So you saw PM for the first time...Welcome to Ghibli. Now go watch Totoro, Nausicaa and Spirited Away like normal people, and get back to us.

I saw Spirited Away in theaters VERY soon after Princess Mononoke (pretty sure it was a few months, if not weeks, later). I liked it a lot (it's an *extremely* close second to Princess Mononoke, duking it out with Whisper of the Heart), but I felt like it was missing the character complexity of Princess Mononoke. Sometime afterwards I think was the Disney(?) Ghibli month marathon, which let me see most of his other works (I missed a night or two, including Porco Rosso, unfortunately). But Princess Mononoke was and is still my favorite, so...still not sure what you're trying to say here.

Oh, as an aside, I was super into whatever shows Toonami was running at the time, so it's not like Princess Mononoke was my first foray into anime. Just wanted to nip that in the bud.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:35 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:

I saw Spirited Away in theaters VERY soon after Princess Mononoke (pretty sure it was a few months, if not weeks, later). I liked it a lot (it's an *extremely* close second to Princess Mononoke, duking it out with Whisper of the Heart), but I felt like it was missing the character complexity of Princess Mononoke.

(Y'see...this is what I'm talking about, people: "Character complexity", yet.) Wink
TEPopka

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:43 am Reply with quote
I don't really understand what you mean. So far you've said that people only liked Princess Mononoke because they were in denial, or because they're sentimental over it being their first anime. Here's someone who says they'd seen anime before, then they watched Princess Mononoke and they thought it was good. Then they watched Ghibli's other movies and didn't think they were as good. How does that relate to anything you've said?

You think this person "hypnotized themselves" into thinking PM had character complexity? Not that maybe they were just basing their interpretation on different details than you (which can happen with movies, since they blend aspects of different media and therefore different ways ideas are manifested)? That's something that's kind of hard to just make up, unless you just slap the phrase on the movie without thinking about it. It's possible to have a different interpretation of a movie than someone else without thinking the other person is deluded.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:05 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
jojothepunisher wrote:
I always tell my friends that princess mononoke is my most favorite film of all time, and that it is THE BEST film made by Hayao Miyazaki. It was good that the review mentioned how Miyazaki rised to stardom with Spirited Away, but that was in my opinion a simple family entertainment and it doesn't have the same ambition of story telling as that of Mononoke. It was also worth noting that the ending of Mononoke was built up perfectly and that the two main characters didn't end up becoming romantic interests, something that Miyazaki did in the past as mentioned in the recent review of Whisper of the Heart.

I "might" disagree on Spirited Away. Read my review of it on the my anime review thread I started in the anime section.

A problem with the notion of "family entertainment" that was created by Disney is that Miyazaki's complex masterpieces that are not obviously mature films get bundled together with second rate kiddie movies. As result animation fans who are not interested in kiddie films lose the opportunity to enjoy these masterpieces. Totoro is superficially a kiddie movie but it's completely different from any family western animated feature ever made.

I actually completely agree that some of the "kiddies" movies Miyazaki created were very well made and more complex than they seem. But my point was that Mononoke was determined to tell a story without being compromised by melodrama, friendship, romance and other common tropes seen in "family entertainment" movies. There is nothing wrong with making family entertainment movies, its just that most of the films he made contained tropes like these, so I really respect Miyazaki for making something so mature and ambitious and making it successful.
ronri

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:23 am Reply with quote
TEPopka wrote:
It's fine not to like this movie, but to say that people only like it because they hypnotized themselves into liking it is just dumb. You don't think anyone who likes Princess Mononoke has ever thought about the reasons why, or is actually telling the truth when they say they find it to be an enjoyable movie? I could just as easily say anyone who doesn't love it is just being a contrarian to look cool, but I would be just as wrong.

QFT

Also, implying that Mononoke gets its positive reception because of (to put it loosely) the "Ghibli hype", doesn't really make any sense for me because I myself was never one of those devout Ghibli followers (I often looked up other anime). "Castle In The Sky" happened to be my first Ghibli film (watched it when I was really young) and it was only in later years that I was even able to connect it with the rest of Ghibli's offerings. I even watched Spirited Away before ever seeing Mononoke, and while I enjoyed Spirited Away, I never thought I'd love Mononoke more than any other Ghibli film as much as I do now.

To give context of my own experience with Mononoke, while I thought it was fine during my first viewing, I wasn't exactly in love with it. It was only after many years later when I matured a bit more that I decided to give it another. Nowadays I could firmly say, it's definitely my most favorite Ghibli film by far. The different sides, the lush presentation, and the depiction of violence and conflict without comprise. The thematic quality in the writing and the outstanding visuals/animation truly won me over. Much as folks paint the ending with hope, I always felt that it was left as being fairly ambiguous and respectful towards both sides (San, Ashitaka and Eboshi particularly), even if the final conflict served to give a happy resolution.

Again, I don't see how liking Mononoke somehow means you're "hypnotized" especially when I had prior experience with other Ghibli films and only came to appreciate it on repeat viewings.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:38 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
(Y'see...this is what I'm talking about, people: "Character complexity", yet.) Wink

I do not see.
The post that you quoted contradicted your earlier post.
What am I supposed to see?

You keep giving us contrived convoluted explanations for why people like something that you think that they should not like.
You seem to be unable to accept the fact that some people just enjoy Princess Mononoke and that their enjoyment is not dependent on other things that they saw before or after, or on what they were told about the movie, or on anything else.

Some people like this particular movie simply because of what they see in this particular movie.
No other explanations are needed.

I am not saying that you should like it or that there is anything wrong with you because you do not like it.

It is mildly annoying to have you insisting that I have somehow been manipulated into thinking that I like it and that it is only my ignorance that is preventing me from realizing that I have been tricked.
But I can live with it.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Deleted several posts for over-quoting.

Don't want your posts deleted?

Then don't over-quote.

Look at this post to see if you've made the The Wall of Shame.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5