• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Alice 19th ( Do you think it should be adapted to an Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maryohki

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Alice 19th is the only Watase manga I've ever really liked. The 2nd half of Fushigi Yuugi completely ruined the whole thing for me, because the 2nd half was garbage. Alice is good through and through. And no one gets raped or pointlessly killed!
Da Games Elite

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:21 pm Reply with quote
ChronoBall X wrote:
Da Games Elite wrote:
Anything Yuu Watase touches seems to turn to gold. Alice 19 I just began reading, and I'm annoyed there isn't an adaption...a friend of mine had read alot more of it, and loves it. She introduced me to it, and I enjoyed volume one alot. But, unfortunatly, I get the feeling the next Fushigi Yuugi will be released before Alice, if Alice gets an adaption. Being a Fushigi Yuugi fan, I'm not too upset about it. Razz

You know, Speaking of that,Fushigi Yuugi was my First Yuu Watase Title I have ever saw,of course most peoples first Yuu Watase title would be Fushigi Yuugi during most peoples early Anime days, Very Happy

but anyway, it's a shame this never got an anime adaption(which deserves one), an anime adaption would be perfect for making good quality Rommance/Drama AMV's because Alice seno does suffer alot and she's quite different from Miaka Yuki. Smile
Fushigi Yuugi is one of my all time favorite series. But Alice would be one of my top ten anime had it been made a series...Anime cry Oh well....

As for the post above mine.... Neutral Yui being raped was one of the most startiling scenes in the series! Miaka being raped made perfect sense, though. Yui didn't want to kill her best friend, and told her guys to stop her without killing her. So, they tried to take away her virginity. How is that garbage? I'm just confused... Confused
Maryohki

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:01 pm Reply with quote
A "rape" that didn't even happen isn't a plot device that should be used frequently. Neither is a death. I'm mostly annoyed with spoiler[Nuriko's "Hey, I've been gay for the whole series, but Miaka is just so hot that I want to be straight!" crap]. That was just stupid. Afterspoiler[ his death], nothing had any emotional impact on me. It also didn't flow well at all from the end of the first half to the beginning of the second half. Everything was different, and they could've been different series if they had different characters. Watase also decided to make characters behave completely out of character, often for no real reason (See 1st comment on Nuriko).
Da Games Elite

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:32 am Reply with quote
For the rape thing, I understand if it happened all the time, it'd get to the point where it's white noise, but, when I think of over used plot devices...rape doesn't come to mind in any form. So I don't see how you came to the first conclusion. As for Nuriko...when a guy is born gay, you'd win that argument. Nuriko, it seems, wasn't born gay, spoiler[he just began to act gay and effeminate when his sister died, so while he could have been mentally unstable...he wasn't born gay.] So, that too can be argued against. If that wasn't the case, however...I would have admitted that you were right there.
Maryohki

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:51 am Reply with quote
The rape seemed to come out of nowhere and was used at least twice.

And when did he ever act straight before the Miaka crap? (And I don't think the Genbu Kaiden novels should really count. Do drama CDs count as part of the story for other series? No.. So why should Genbu Kaiden? We can't even get them here)
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Maryohki wrote:
(And I don't think the Genbu Kaiden novels should really count. Do drama CDs count as part of the story for other series? No.. So why should Genbu Kaiden? We can't even get them here)

I don't think you mean Genbu Kaiden, because that's an entirely different series altogether, set 50 years or so before the Suzaku/Seiryu arc. There are novels for SS, but not for Genbu Kaiden, at least not that I know of, and Genbu Kaiden is indeed completely available here.

Anyway, I agree that the rape thing was overly used, but I still really enjoyed Fushigi Yuugi. It's not the greatest anime out there and certainly there are writing issues, but Watase Yuu was still pretty new to things when she made it and she has come a long way from her FY:SS days, as is proved in Alice 19th, though rape does remain an element in all her novels, at least for a little bit spoiler[remember that Mayura does almost get her lackey guy whose name I don't remember to rape Alice]. The only one it really isn't in is Imadoki!.
Da Games Elite

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Eh, granted. Rape is a reoccuring theme in most of her stuff...granted...but, still, I felt it was an interested point, and it was relavent to most of the series. If it had been done wrong...then it would have been really bad. But it did make sense for the characters to go through with it.

Although, now that you do mention it...it's strange how rape is a reoccuring theme in her manga...oh well...
Maryohki

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Haha, thanks for pointing that out, Marie. I often get "Gaiden" and "Genbu Kaiden" confused Anime hyper.

And yeah, I do remember that about Alice 19th, but it seemed less like "I need a plot device so I'll fall back on rape" and more like something that belonged there.

And I need to read Imadoki, if just to see if Watase improved at all when she wrote it. I don't want to risk it, though, and I'd rather stick with decent manga.

I really wish Watase would've come up with FY, but hadn't actually written it until she'd written some other things, so she'd actually be able to write something good with it. Because FY was a really good idea, but she just..screwed it up.
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:08 pm Reply with quote
The rape thing was definitely overused in Fushigi Yugi. And I think it was bad mostly because if I recall correctly, no one was ever ACTUALLY raped. They were either just almost raped, or tricked to believe that they were raped.

Although, I had forgotten about that scene in Alice!!

And there's also rape in Ceres....

Maybe there's something behind all this.....?

However, I personally think Imadoki is probably one of Watase's worst. I read the series because I liked Tanpopo. But I thought it was just kind of silly and unrealistic. But then again, I also think that Absolute Boyfriend is complete crap. (Yet, I still read it Rolling Eyes )
Celes

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't really agree that rape was overused in FY. When it comes down to the priestesses spoiler[needing their virginity to summon their gods], rape just became more of a powerful weapon. Yui's "rape" certainly shocked me and I do not think it was for nothing. Miaka's "rape" was heartbreaking, as well. I say this from the perspective of a girl who has been/is in love: It is devastating when you cannot give yourself to the one you really love because it has been stolen from you.

And coming out of no where? So like...when there is a rape scene should there be signs in every panel for the pages before it?
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:06 am Reply with quote
I think the first rapes in Fushigi Yuugi were well done and made sense. Some of the later ones didn't make as much sense (though I'd say spoiler[Tomo's did since he was after the same thing as Nakago, to make Miaka unable to summon Suzaku]). It did get a bit much I find.

I love Imadoki! very much, because it's a different type of series than the other, fantasy-centric ones we have out here in English. I do agree with Absolute Boyfriend though, it just doesn't have the charm I've found in the other ones.

I still say that Genbu Kaiden and Alice 19th are her best works to date, but they are also two of her most recent to date, so it makes sense. She hasn't had any huge storytelling issues in years (though she did run out of time in Alice to have backstories for all the characters which was sad).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3