• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Exports of 'Cool Japan' Anime, Dramas Jump 30%

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Careful with blanket statements, particularly when presented with obvious and extreme bias. You can't sit there saying "I don't trust sources and have my own sources" because no sources are presented and no credible supporting argument why sources you "don't trust" can't be trusted. Frankly, you've presented nothing here.

Hi Keonyn, glad to see you're back. Very Happy

EDIT: Well since Keonyn (nor Tony. K) didn't bother delete the post with the blanket statements, I guess this is where I should refute some of the blanket statement.

Anti_Nadalista wrote:

People still talking about about low music sales but America is in worse condition, even digital sales are plummeting. I don´t trust western sources, they are most of the time wrong or clueless and i have my own sources anyway.

I like to see your sources to see if it's credible and valid. As Keonyn said, you didn't put that up.

Also I never had any problem with Billboard or Fuse TV when they report on music.

Quote:
Japanese are "irrelevant" in Itunes but Laruku and X-japan played a gig in the arena of the MSG and they didn't have a marketing machine or a viral video behind them.

It still doesn't cover up the fact that J-music outside of Asia is very rare these days. OK, that's really cool to see both of them playing at Madison Square Garden, but that achievements is almost nothing compared to what K-pop has done:

SMTown became the first Asian act to chart on Billboard boxscore chart

SM Town Captivates Paris selling out 2 days concert to 14,000 international fans!

You'll not see J-pop/J-music doing something like this.

There's one thing K-pop did that no J-pop has ever done outside of Asia, concert being broadcasted on a local TV outside of Asia. U-KISS's Mexico concert is an example of that:

U-Kiss concert in Mexico broadcasted on Mexican TV (Part 1 and Part 2)

I don't know if any J-music concert has ever experience this.

Quote:
Latin america don't love Koreans dramas that much, they are niche. Brazil and Colombia are actually dominating the market of dramas in the region.

OK, this part is a load of BS. If Korean dramas are not popular and niche then why did KBS World Latino launched as I mention on my first post. As far as I know I'm still getting report of K-dramas still showing in Latin America as of now:

BBC-Cuba: Viewers enthralled by South Korean soap operas

Latin Post-South Korea Soap Operas Gaining Popularity in Cuba: 'Jewel in the Palace,' 'Queen of the Housewives' Among Favorites

Mexico's TV ad for My fair Lady (Mi Bella Dama)

Pasiones TV spot for Shut up Flower boy bands aka Amor Musical

Pasiones TV spot for Flower boy next door aka BELLA SOLITARIA

Telemundo TV spot for Te amaré por siempre (Loving you a thousand times)

Peru's Panamericana TV spot for Queen In-Hyun's Man aka 300 años de amor (300 years of love in Spanish)

Still think K-dramas are still niche.

EDIT (1/10/2015): I just got this from Korea Times, Argentina will be broadcasting it's first K-drama.

Quote:
Sales in America are so low that Babymetal debut was one of the best selling albums in the rock genre this year Anime hyper. One Ok Rock had a tour in latin america this past month and a lot people went to their concerts, same with The Gazette last year.

OK Babymetal is able to make it on Billboard 200 and became the first J-music act to make it on Billboard World album charts. But Babymetal didn't top all rock charts in the US, so that's BS. I can validate that One OK Rock did tour Latin America but probably didn't get a lot of attention from the media since I can't find it online except one spotlight from Peru.

Quote:
I want to see Classic Japanese films in Dramafever, people will see actually good films for once in that site Anime hyper.

Uh, you can watch classic Japanese films on Hulu (you may need a Hulu plus account to watch them), I don't see Dramafever getting Japanese films anytime soon.

Last edited by mdo7 on Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
You'll not see J-pop/J-music doing something like this.
Quote:
I don't know if any J-music concert has ever experience this.
Quote:
I don't see Dramafever getting Japanese films anytime soon.
I think the big question is why it matters to any of us on the consumer end of things. This is starting to be less about the accessibility of Japanese live-action titles and more about a reason to say how awesome South Korea is. As someone who actually watches the stuff, I just want to say that whatever Japan's doing it's working well enough for them and they'll keep making movies and dramas for us to enjoy. I think that's probably the most important thing to those of us who make up the audience.

mdo7 wrote:
They are still niche, even here in the US. If you walk down the street randomly asking people if they watch K-dramas I'm sure most of them wouldn't have a clue such a thing exists.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:35 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:

mdo7 wrote:
They are still niche, even here in the US. If you walk down the street randomly asking people if they watch K-dramas I'm sure most of them wouldn't have a clue such a thing exists.

There's a lot of British and Australian shows that aren't even shown on American TV despite speaking the same language, like for example Law & Order: UK, despite being a UK remake of the hit American original. Law & Order: UK wasn't shown on NBC, despite being the same franchise as their American counterpart, it ended up being shown on BBC America. So I'm sure there are people in US that watch Law & Order that aren't aware of the the UK adaptation. But back on topic:

Regarding K-dramas, they have started to get more well-publicized on mainstream media:

Entertainment Weekly-Korean dramas: A beginner's guide

Korean Dramas Hook Millennial Viewers Who Speak Spanish and English DramaFever viewership jumped 440% in a year

Here's why millions of Americans are binge-watching Korean dramas

Your next big, addictive TV series could be from South Korea

And with publicity, comes a lot of attention. Even if most people don't know what it is, they may have heard of one or two K-dramas from online (or from their friends) since more people are watching shows online (so that increase the chance that more people may stumble upon K-dramas):

CNet-Where do the most people go for TV online? YouTube

Time-More Americans Than Ever Are Watching TV Online, Report Says

34% of Millennials Watch More Online Video Than TV

Third of millennials watch mostly online video or no broadcast TV

So I expect K-drama audiences to grow given that more people are watching online, I don't think it's not that niche given how much publicity they're getting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5