• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Assassination Classroom (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I am surprised that Nakamura wasn't in the top 5 girl ranking list.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I love the octopus teacher as character, but for now the project is shallow story-of-the-week entertainment with setting that is hard to buy.

1) Most of the moon being destroyed: with so much mass disappearing (lets imagine the best scenario that that mass did not fall on Earth) the mass that left would be dramatically less than that of full spheric Moon. This would cause the Moon leftover to dramatically descend towards the Earth, probably falling apart along the way and crashing on the Earth's surface due to gravitation and its uneven form, destroying nearly all of life on Earth (basically mostly microbes would survive);

2) The octopus is just too good of "person" for viewers to believe that children are going genuinely try to murder it. You do not want pupils to kill it, and you do not believe the monster will actually destroy the Earth (though it could be capable of doing it);

3) with 20 Mach speed, most of the stories how pupils and multiple outside assassins try to murder the octopus with bullets or even explosions are absolute ridiculous nonsense. Bullets and even fastest explosions are (much) slower than that. None of the assassins would even try to murder the octopus with such measures in the first place;

4) the only realistic way to kill such creature is to use high-powered laser since it's power travels with speed of light. However, this method conveniently not explored so far.

That said, the anime, of course, is still fun to watch. Characters and voice actors are just too good. And the song is fun.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
that is hard to buy.

Please. Do us all a favor and don't try and do science anymore.

If you are enjoying the show that's great. I like it a lot too so we have that in common. So let's leave it at that.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9:

I liked the episode as it introduced spoiler[Ritsu in a rather bizarre way. (I mean, through a video screen?!) Anyways, I do like her resolve as she promises to kill Koro-sensei before graduation with a good amount of confidence.]

And as for comedy factors, spoiler[Bitch-sensei made that happen at the end Laughing]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Newspoiler[ transfer student] sure wasn't what everyone expected.
That spoiler[machine] was no joke.
It sure didn't give Koro-sensei a break at all.
The interesting part is that it kept adapting and getting better.
Wow! spoiler[After Koro did a number on her software & hardware, she] was impressive.
Even the students liked spoiler[her] ^^
spoiler[Shame the owner/master reverted her to that assassination form.
Luckily, she learned a few things and prevailed!]
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote
This episode shows the lengths to which Koro-Sensei will go to help his students, even if they're spoiler[sentient AI with the ability to mass produce BB pellets. ]

I couldn't figure out the inspiration for Koro-Sensei's spiel on the cost of the spoiler[upgrades], the closest thing I could think of are the credit card advertisements (Mastercard in particular). Since he's now broke and can't buy food until the next payday, it looks like he'll be holding a few more chemistry classes involving snacks.

The last scene was a nice touch though, even spoiler[sentient AI] recognise the value of cooperation.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

spoiler[Artillery] started out annoying in being a spoiler[single minded machine], but then the thought that Koro-Sensei spoiler[could make even a machine learn to cooperate and care about people] made me excited. Ritsu ended up being awesome character. spoiler[Full upgraded version] was a little over the top, but spoiler[she made friends]. That she managed to spoiler[keep her own personality by her own will] was just awesome.

Also touches that the delinquent spoiler[actually wants to have class].
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:28 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Since he's now broke and can't buy food until the next payday, it looks like he'll be holding a few more chemistry classes involving snacks.

Koro-sensei's improvidence with money seems to be one of the running jokes here. Where did he get upwards $100,000 to spend on a whim if he has been living paycheck-to-paycheck?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:25 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Harleyquin wrote:
Since he's now broke and can't buy food until the next payday, it looks like he'll be holding a few more chemistry classes involving snacks.

Koro-sensei's improvidence with money seems to be one of the running jokes here. Where did he get upwards $100,000 to spend on a whim if he has been living paycheck-to-paycheck?

spoiler[606,000 Yen plus 113,000 Yen plus balance of 5 Yen equals 719,005 Yen. At a nominal exchange rate of 100 Yen to the US Dollar, that's USD7190. If you use the spot exchange rate from Friday 13th March of 121.39 to 1 USD, that works out to USD5923.34]

The translators in charge for the webcasts should lose their jobs if they're translating the amount as over 100,000 USD. The amount itself is actually not unreasonable, one would have to assume Koro-Sensei had personal savings or "appropriated" cash from somewhere to make the payment.

At any rate, Koro-Sensei has other ways of surviving until the next pay-day. There's a very funny example given later on in the series but which won't air until next quarter at the earliest.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
HaruhiToy wrote:

spoiler[606,000 Yen plus 113,000 Yen plus balance of 5 Yen equals 719,005 Yen. At a nominal exchange rate of 100 Yen to the US Dollar, that's USD7190. If you use the spot exchange rate from Friday 13th March of 121.39 to 1 USD, that works out to USD5923.34]

The translators in charge for the webcasts should lose their jobs if they're translating the amount as over 100,000 USD. The amount itself is actually not unreasonable, one would have to assume Koro-Sensei had personal savings or "appropriated" cash from somewhere to make the payment.

At any rate, Koro-Sensei has other ways of surviving until the next pay-day. There's a very funny example given later on in the series but which won't air until next quarter at the earliest.

Depends, what daily exchange rate are we using? In the past year or so, the rate has been ¥86:$100 to ¥121:$1 (It's a PITA to budget for the exchange rate when you transit between the US and Japan three times a year)
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Read the spoiler in my last post before asking questions which have already been answered; don't worry about revealing plot since all I've done is tot up a few numbers.

Whichever exchange rate is used, a six figure sum in USD isn't going to show.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:39 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:
that is hard to buy.

If you are enjoying the show that's great. I like it a lot too so we have that in common. So let's leave it at that.

Please, do us all a favour and do not comment on things when you have no point for or against it.

The fact that I like the show does not mean that it is perfect, and pointing out imperfections is just an objective way to look at things. But you personally do not have to consider anything you do not want to consider, no one is forcing you. So let's leave it at that.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10:

I think I'm really beginning to like Bitch-sensei now. spoiler[Glad to see that she will be staying at school because the students there does need her whether some of them realizes it or not.]

Eh...I smell trouble coming for Koro-sensei and others.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:38 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
HaruhiToy wrote:

Please, do us all a favour and do not comment on things when you have no point for or against it.

The fact that I like the show does not mean that it is perfect, and pointing out imperfections is just an objective way to look at things. But you personally do not have to consider anything you do not want to consider, no one is forcing you. So let's leave it at that.

How about you both do us all a favor and stop with the passive aggressive and snarky bickering now before it goes any further. I think that's the best idea so let's leave it at that. Smile
Lovely

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10-

Did anyone else get a big grin on your face spoiler[When you saw Ritsu in the opening animation?] Had me grinning like crazy Very Happy .

This episode itself had me grinning as well, but that's pretty normal for me when watching this show.

spoiler[even in the manga, the Hawaii field trip always seemed fun and awesome Anime hyper . ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 19