• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kantai Collection -Kan Colle- (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I lost my post last week D: Oh well...server issues, can't be helped.

Well, it was just about spoiler[curry] anyways, so nothing too biggie. But for the latest episode 7, spoiler[I almost felt a bit trolled there. All the death flags but the carriers survived. Teamwork pays off quite well is something I must say.]

Also, I feel like Fubuki has improved a lot now since she first debuted.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shikiari

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

"Burning Love!"

At this point in the series Fubuki and Kongou are neck on neck for favourite ship girl of mine. I really enjoyed this weeks action-orientated episode and it made up for the lack of not much happening with the Abyssals lately.

We got to see the spoiler[Wo Class Carrier character] to add another face to the shark like Abyssal fleet. spoiler[Fubuki even severely wounded one] that got away, probably to return to attempt to finish the job at some point.
We almost spoiler[lost a few Carriers girls] ourselves, but they managed to avoid the spoiler[death flags] for the meantime.

How tiny is the "Admiral"? When Nagato stood infront of his desk, he wasn't visible at all from behind her small waist. Made me chuckle a bit, if nothing else.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I've found that scenes with the admiral are much more enjoyable if you pretend that the admiral is just a figment of Nagato's imagination, and everyone is playing along so they don't hurt her feelings.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Phew, I was worried about spoiler[Shoukaku] for the whole episode. I could definitely see them spoiler[killing her off to develop Zuikaku but I guess Kaga getting injured was enough.]

Damn Akagi, you basically live in the docks, don't you?

Great to see Fubuki leading the charge. Will it finally be time for her to be popular?! Probably not.

So looks like next episode a certain space battleship will be showing up.

The other day I decided to dive into the enormous amount of fan works for the series. Trying to catch up with all of them at this point is an impossible task to be sure so I've been focusing in on the characters I'm most drawn to for one reason or another. Specifically they are Fubuki, Yuudachi, Jintsu, Haruna, Mutsu, and Shoukaku. I'm kinda surprised at myself that none of the Destroyer Division 6 girls made it on that list Laughing

I've been enjoying some particularly good Shoukaku stuff recently hense my elevated level of concern this episode. Glad she got some more screentime.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

For some reason I was having a hard time in this episode with the fact that a number of these ships were used by Japan when they did some pretty bad things. I just looked up what exactly the Battle of the Coral Sea was, and surprise I find that it was a battle fought near New Guinea with the Japanese fighting the United States and Australia. Apparently the battle of Japan largely coming out on top lead to the land invasion New Guinea, the Australian troops involvement against this is particularly famous, and the Japanese as infamous (cannibalism was apparently involved).

While the characters are cutesy moe girls who only want to help each other, save humanity or whatever against evil monsters who look pretty pale. Right now I have other thoughts on my mind. I can't help but think of some Australians even I have heard of that don't exactly think kindly of modern Japanese stuff.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:49 am Reply with quote
Maybe I'm just seeing things, but could that Abyssmal who came up from the deep spoiler[be that girl was was sunk back in eppie 3? There evidently was fan speculation that Abyssmals are the reincarnation of sunk girls.] That might also explain why the enemy spoiler[knows the codes].
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:38 am Reply with quote
I've been watching this despite not knowing anything about KanColle beforehand. I knew it was based on an online card game of some sort from a hint Vaisaga gave in the character guessing game, and I knew the main characters were girls from the artwork, but that was the only things I knew . . . I didn't even know that the girls were personifications of World War II ships. Anyway, I'm enjoying the show overall, but I find it very hard to keep track of all the characters since I don't already know who is who.

Episode 7

Vaisaga wrote:
Phew, I was worried about spoiler[Shoukaku] for the whole episode. I could definitely see them spoiler[killing her off to develop Zuikaku but I guess Kaga getting injured was enough.]

I paused the episode as soon as they said spoiler["Coral Island"] since I knew that meant it would be based on the spoiler[Battle of the Coral Sea], and I wanted to look up the actual battle. I guess that is spoiling myself for what happens in the episode if they in any way follow events in the battle, but I looked it up anyway. Since in the real battle spoiler[Shoukaku was heavily damaged by not destroyed], that seemed to be the most likely outcome of the episode.

Also, I thought how the spoiler[smaller Abyssal ship sacrificed itself to save the carrier at the end was very reminiscent of how Kaga had saved Zuikaku earlier in the episode]. It makes me wonder if spoiler[the Abyssals, or at least the humanoid ones, care about each other].
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While the characters are cutesy moe girls who only want to help each other, save humanity or whatever against evil monsters who look pretty pale. Right now I have other thoughts on my mind. I can't help but think of some Australians even I have heard of that don't exactly think kindly of modern Japanese stuff.

At the very least Kancolle hasn't been trying to write up an alternate history of WW2 or overtly romanticizing a war of conquest as certain other popular anime series have.

It can be said that there is a LONG list of atrocities Japan committed during WW2 which would more than explain China, as well as many other nations, continued beef with Japan.

That said, if you are offended by it by any amount then as a viewer you are free to feel that way, but just as well you probably would have quit on the show for "bringing up wounds" before even starting hearing anything on its concept about "cute WARSHIP girls of WW2".
Shikiari

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I've found that scenes with the admiral are much more enjoyable if you pretend that the admiral is just a figment of Nagato's imagination, and everyone is playing along so they don't hurt her feelings.

Brilliant! I feel sorry for Nagato already... I wonder if we will get to see her cannons in action before the end.

In other light-hearted Kancolle news, I can't wait to get my hands on this:

GrayArchon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:07 pm Reply with quote
So the historic parallels continue. The historic spoiler[Coral Sea saw Shouhou sunk, and Shoukaku heavily damaged. Lexington sunk, and Yorktown damaged.] This episode spoiler[in a blink and you'll miss it scene introduced Shouhou under attack, heavily damaged and last seen on fire, and of course Shoukaku was heavily damaged as well. One Abyssal carrier was sunk, and one damaged.]

It'll be interesting to see how far they're willing to take the parallels. As I'm sure most people know, the historic WWII IJN did not meet a happy end when all was said and done. Even loosely sticking to it as they have thus far would quickly push the series in the direction of tragedy. Which I kind of doubt is the direction they wish to go. Then again, judging by some of the fan art I've seen, a chunk of the fan base is probably up for some tragedy.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:26 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
For some reason I was having a hard time in this episode with the fact that a number of these ships were used by Japan when they did some pretty bad things.

I don't have this issue. I'm pretty good at drawing a line between fantasy and reality. The conflict in the show is very different from what happened in real life, so I don't feel like they're trying to paint the bad things in a good light.

That said I'm actually not very well read when it comes to Japan during WWII. I've heard about these bad things but not many specifics. My history classes naturally focused on Canada's involvement in the war which was pretty much exclusively about the European front. I know the bad way Canada treated its Japanese citizens, I know about Pearl Harbour, and I know about the two A-bombs but that's about it.

Even so, I wouldn't hold it against the ships themselves. A weapon isn't fundamentally bad, it all depends on who uses it and for what. I'm also not going to hold something their ancestors did against the current generation.

Blood- wrote:
Maybe I'm just seeing things, but could that Abyssmal who came up from the deep spoiler[be that girl was was sunk back in eppie 3? There evidently was fan speculation that Abyssmals are the reincarnation of sunk girls.]

You mean the one right before the opening? spoiler[That's an air craft carrier type. Kisaragi was a destroyer.]

Calathan wrote:
I knew it was based on an online card game of some sort from a hint Vaisaga gave in the character guessing game

The time I used Fubuki didn't go to a hint... Oh yeah, I did use one for a Gundam Build Fighters Try character, didn't I?

Calathan wrote:
I find it very hard to keep track of all the characters since I don't already know who is who.

What? The king of the character game is having trouble remembering characters? Laughing

I've got a pretty good handle on who's who so far. Word association helps. I remember Zuikaku because there's also a mecha in Muv Luv with the same name.

Shikiari wrote:
In other light-hearted Kancolle news, I can't wait to get my hands on this:

I'll wait for figures using the anime designs. I'm not a fan of Fubuki's game art.

GrayArchon wrote:
It'll be interesting to see how far they're willing to take the parallels.

Yeah, I'm wondering about that too. Sinking Kisaragi and spoiler[Shouhou] (who we didn't even meet prior to her destruction) won't 'rock the boat', so to speak. They're just minor characters. But next should be the Battle of Midway, right? Would they really kill off spoiler[Akagi and Kaga], two major characters?

I can't say for sure, which is good because I won't know what to expect.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Midway is the next major naval battle. Wont have to worry about spoiler[Shokaku] until spoiler[The Battle of Philippine Sea], 2 years later
Meatwadsan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Chronological order of deaths/sinkings of ships/characters (^ denotes a minor battle that is part of a major campaign/battle, parentheses denote ships not in the show, battle sinkings are in no particular order):

Note: You may need to highlight to see all of it.
spoiler[
Collision: (Miyuki)
Bombed by aircraft/struck naval mine: (Z1), (Z3)
Torpedoed by aircraft/destroyer: (Bismarck)

Battle of Wake Island: Kisaragi

Battle of Sunda Strait (More Doji-Fubuki): Fubuki and/or Mogami torpedoes 5 of her own ships with Lt. Gen. Imamura Hitoshi aboard one of them

Torpedoed by aircraft: (Kikuzuki)

Battle of the Coral Sea: (Shoho)

Battle of Midway: Akagi, Kaga, Soryu, Hiryu, (Mikuma)

Torpedoed by submarine: (Arare)
Torpedoed by submarine: (Nenohi)
Bombed by aircraft: (Oboro)

Solomon Islands Campaign
^Battle of the Eastern Solomons: Mutsuki, (Ryujo)
^Battle of Cape Esperance: Fubuki, (Murakumo), (Furutaka)
^Battles of Guadalcanal/Savo Island: Yudachi, Akatsuki, Kirishima, Hiei, Yayoi, Oshio, Kinugasa, Kako, (Ayanami), (Makigumo), (Tenryu), (Yura)
^Battle of the Bismarck Sea: Asashio, (Arashio), (Shirayuki), (Tokitsukaze)
^Battles of Kolombangara/Kula Gulf: Jintsu, Murasame, Kagero, (Kuroshio), (Nagatsuki)
^Battle of Vella Lavella: (Yugumo)
^Battle of Empress Augusta Bay: Sendai, (Hatsukaze)
^Airstrike on Rabaul Naval Base: Mochizuki, (Hatsuyuki)

Torpedoed by submarine: (I-168)
Depth charged: (I-19)
Bombed by aircraft: (Mikazuki)
Torpedoed by submarine: (Sazanami)
Torpedoed by submarine: (Isonami)
Turret explosion: Mutsu
Torpedoed by submarine: (Suzukaze)
Torpedoed by submarine: (Agano)

Marshall Islands Campaign
^Airstrike on Truk Naval Base (Operation Hailstone): Naka, (Maikaze), (Fumizuki), (Katori)

Bombed/rocketed by aircraft: (Akashi)
Bombed by aircraft: (Harusame)
Torpedoed by submarine: (Tatsuta)
Torpedoed by submarine: (Akigumo)
Torpedoed by submarine: Kuma
Torpedoed by submarine: Yubari
Torpedoed by submarine: Inazuma
Torpedoed by submarine: Ikazuchi
Collision: Shiratsuyu
Torpedoed by submarine: (Tanikaze)

Battle of the Philippine Sea: Shokaku, (Hiyo), (Taiho)

Torpedoed by submarine: Samidare
Torpedoed by submarine: Oi
Bombed by aircraft: (Satsuki)
Bombed by aircraft: (Nagara)
Torpedoed by submarine: (Natori)
Torpedoed by submarine: (Shikinami)

Battle of Leyte Gulf
^Battle of the Palawan Passage: Atago, (Maya)
^Battle of the Sibuyan Sea: Wakaba, (Musashi), (Kinu), (Noshiro)
^Battle of the Surigao Strait: Mogami, Michishio, (Fuso), (Yamashiro), (Shiranui), (Yamagumo), (Asagumo), (Abukuma)
^Battle off Samar: Chikuma, (Nowaki), (Chokai), (Suzuya)
^Battle off Cape Engano: Tama, Zuikaku, (Akizuki), (Zuiho), (Chiyoda), (Chitose)
^Battle of Ormoc Bay: Shimakaze, (Hatsuharu), (Uzuki), (Naganami)

Torpedoed by submarine: Kongo, (Urakaze)
Bombed/torpedoed by aircraft: (Nachi)
Bombed by aircraft: (Kiso)
Torpedoed by aircraft: (Hayashimo)
Torpedoed by submarine: Mamiya
Bombed by aircraft: (Akebono)
Torpedoed by submarine: (Akitsu Maru)
Torpedoed by submarine: Shigure
Bombed/torpedoed by aircraft: (Kumano)
Torpedoed by submarine: (Unryu)
Bombed by aircraft: (Kiyoshimo)
Bombed by aircraft: (Amatsukaze)

Battle of the Malacca Strait: (Haguro)

Depth charged: (I-8)

Battle of Okinawa: Yamato, (Kasumi), (Isokaze), (Hamakaze), (Yahagi), (Asashimo)

Torpedoed by submarine: (Isuzu)
Struck naval mine: (Hatsushimo)
Torpedoed by submarine: Ashigara

Airstrike on Kure Naval Base/Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) Headquarters: Haruna, Oyodo, Tone, Aoba, (Ise), (Hyuga), (Amagi)

Scuttled: (U-511/RO-500)
Used as target ship: Takao, (Myoko)
Used as target ship (Operation Road's End): (I-58)
Used as target ship: (I-401)
Used for nuclear test (Operation Crossroads): Nagato, (Sakawa), (Prinz Eugen)

Handed over to Soviet Union (Scrapped): Hibiki
Handed over to Republic of China/Taiwan (Scrapped): (Yukikaze)

Survivors (Scrapped): Kitakami, (Ushio), (Hosho), (Junyo), (Taigei/Ryuho)
Multiple ships/survivors (Scrapped): (Maruyu)]
Meatwadsan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:18 am Reply with quote
Great website with the animated battles to make them easier to understand:

http://historyanimated.com/verynewhistorywaranimated/?page_id=20
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Mm, that was fun. spoiler[Another slow slice of life episode but we get swimsuits including a very adorable Nagato!]

Also, interesting to see spoiler[Yamato] show up to make her anticipated debut.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 13