• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex, Key Visual Arts Announce New Project on December 22

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tobeast777

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:24 am Reply with quote
Please another season of Angel Beats Please another season of Angel Beats Please another season of Angel Beats Please another season of Angel Beats Please another season of Angel Beats Please another season of Angel Beats Please another season of Angel Beats Please another season of Angel Beats Please another season of Angel Beats Please another season of Angel Beats Please another season of Angel Beats Please another season of Angel Beats Please another season of Angel Beats
OtakuJesd

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:48 am Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
^Most of the time KyoAni says that they're too busy so they don't have any time for Key. But it was years ago before LitBus aired, so maybe now they do have a time.
(Plus for me KyoAni has been in downfall lately, so maybe they'll reconsider working with Key)

They've been mainly focusing on works under their name, which might be a reason why we haven't seen more of Lucky Star or Haruhi Suzumiya (besides spin-offs by other studios).
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:38 am Reply with quote
tobeast777 wrote:
(Please another season of Angel Beats)^13

I hope that you at least typed all of that out, and not just macro'd or cut'n'paste it.

I was kinda bored by the Angel Beats TV series that was produced, and never really found the characters to be all that interesting. Maybe a redo would change that.
Yause

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:11 am Reply with quote
Any visual novel adaptation presents a significant opportunity cost. There's no benefit to anime companies in terms of intellectual property rights, nor do these projects add much value for their major clients. That's why we usually end up with 12 episodes (with the story cut up or rewritten to come to a conclusion) and a tiny budget.

Key isn't the hottest prospect because:

a) their visual novels are long
b) they insist on thorough adaptations
c) unlike Enterbrain or Type-Moon, they don't pitch in much money (none for Kanon and Clannad)
d) the fans now expect the highest quality
e) most games have gone through multiple merchandising runs and have already been ported to several platforms

Meanwhile, a studio like KyoAni could invest in their own properties, or at least adapt material that brings more value (i.e. increased source material sales, music CDs, figures, etc.) to partners.
teferi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:55 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
And Key continues its search for a decent company that's not Kyoto Animation.

It's hopeless search... continues.

Sure, blame Angel Beats! faults on its runtime, its production, its plotting, its rerunning of the same old clichés that they've done before but even if Clannad did the same sort of stories and situation as Kanon, it still worked as its own show.

Are we still working on the delusion that Angel Beats was a good show? It's the one where Jun Maede became anime's M Night Shyamalan, not that he wasn't before because "twist endings" was kind of his thing, just be glad Kyo Ani dialed it back a bit.

Is it better that Angel Beats starts off with "they were dead all along"? It was a terrible idea that had "feel, don't think" written all over it. "But it could be great, they just needed more time!"

It was funny, it had good music but its core idea was that its cast all died as teenagers... kind of and then ... blank. {Should I spoiler that? The show isn't based on an afterlife, it's just... after life} Who, how, why, what and what for? Don't ask silly questions or any questions for that matter.

It's life {not}, there's no meaning to it {yes, there apparently is. How that works out after a cruel and meaningless life is anyone's guess. No, really}. The series contradicted itself so badly and so often that... well, if you saw the show, you know the ending and there's no extra run time in the world that can solve that. Not the essential paradox {not just} but that they have no chemistry. {Yuri, damn it, she's right there! She even has a backstory and character development like she mattered or something!}

A Redo? How about an Undo?

Eh. You're reaching pretty hard here. This sounds like your usual snobbish anime blowhard drivel. It was watchable and didn't really contradict itself. The way you talk about it sounds like kyoani burned your house down and stole your lunch money when they decided to make it ...
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:19 am Reply with quote
My son and I were just talking about how it would be nice to have an Angel Beats After Story where the characters move on to their next lives together as a group of souls bound to be together. (See Kim Stanley Robinson's The Years of Rice and Salt for an example of a story with this kind of reincarnation set-up.)

I hope we get to meet them again, for the first time.
Fred the Barber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote
The silhouette does kind of remind me of Kotori for some reason, but agreed that it doesn't actually match her silhouette (either in terms of hair or in terms of outfit). It's probably just my desire to see a Rewrite anime that's making my brain see her.

The (horribly artifact-laden) music laid over that part of the video is definitely not directly from the Rewrite soundtrack (or even the arrange albums), nor is it even music using any of the themes from Rewrite, as far as I can tell. So, given the music mismatch, I'm pretty much certain it's not going to be a Rewrite anime. Key would probably add new music themes if they were adding an extension plot to existing properties, but if it was a Rewrite anime, they'd stick to the existing music themes. Clannad and Kanon anime had the exact same soundtrack as the VNs, except when adding music from arrange albums of the existing VN music; they did not add any new music.

I'm less confident about this next claim, but I'm betting on a whole new property. If they were announcing an Angel Beats! extension story, they probably wouldn't announce the reveal as "Top-secret stuff, and an Angel Beats! announcement"; and I just can't see them adding an extension story to any of the other (now either much-older [e.g., Kanon] or fairly complete [e.g., Clannad and Little Busters!]) properties they have previously released.
Disar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:20 am Reply with quote
Dats Rewrite i'm pretty sure now.

The spark resembles when Kotarou travels from Moon to Earth.

http://imgur.com/ZSF0ZVe
shiranehito

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:02 am Reply with quote
Disar wrote:

Are you high? Like, seriously?

Anyway it's possible that the new project in fact is not related to AB! at all, like how it says: NEW PROJECT.
Let's keep speculating until the announcement comes.
Disar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:45 am Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
Disar wrote:

Are you high? Like, seriously?

Anyway it's possible that the new project in fact is not related to AB! at all, like how it says: NEW PROJECT.
Let's keep speculating until the announcement comes.

High why?

Did you even play Rewrite?

*vomits on you*
shiranehito

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:20 am Reply with quote
Disar wrote:
High why?

*vomits on you*

I already played it, twice. The fandisk too, once.
That girl silhouette is totally not Kotori, I can't see the resemblance at all (unless they do a redesign which is unlikely).
Just because there's a curve on the NEW PROJECT title, you immediately connect it to Rewrite? Really? Now I see there's a triangle in the A on Anime News Network Logo. Must be related to Illuminati. So sure about it.

Now that you vomited, I suppose you're drunk. Drink a lot of water to replenish your body fluid and cure your hangover. Bless you.
Disar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:55 am Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
Disar wrote:
High why?

*vomits on you*

I already played it, twice. The fandisk too, once.
That girl silhouette is totally not Kotori, I can't see the resemblance at all (unless they do a redesign which is unlikely).
Just because there's a curve on the NEW PROJECT title, you immediately connect it to Rewrite? Really? Now I see there's a triangle in the A on Anime News Network Logo. Must be related to Illuminati. So sure about it.

Now that you vomited, I suppose you're drunk. Drink a lot of water to replenish your body fluid and cure your hangover. Bless you.

Why are you so angry? Are you not getting enough love? *giggles*

Ok sure, it was my mistake, but everytime someone makes a mistake you're gonna [expletive] scream in their ear how wrong they are?
stove top stuffing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:58 am Reply with quote
shiranehito

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:20 am Reply with quote
Turned out it really is a new project not related to Angel Beats.
Anyway, they announced Angel Beats! VN for May 2015. Last year they did too for this year but stalled indefinitely up until now.

The new anime looks interesting (solely based on the character design and starry night sky). I hope this time they get the episode planned right so it won't turn too rushed like AB!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4