• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Soukou no Strain, mecha series from Studio Fantasia

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zero89

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:02 am Reply with quote
shadow_guyver wrote:

It's a reasonable question. It's hard to get a good glimpse of, but spoiler[Sara is carrying her mimic around with her. Mimics aren't part of the strains, they can be taken out and put in. Kind of like memory cards for a videogame console. Basically she took out the mimic in the strain if there was one, and put hers in.]

I thought it might have been something like that... I just saw ep. 1 again, and yeah, that's exactly what happened. Anime smile + sweatdrop It even has a nice shot of spoiler[her mimic totally F*ed up at the end].

So anyway, thanks.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:50 am Reply with quote
Ok ok, I've only seen the first two episodes, and only read through the thread up to that point... but I have to say, "hey!"

So far at least, I am absolutely loving this series. Probably one of my favorites in a while when it comes to the plot. Completely blindsided me, and I couldn't be happier that it wasn't going to be some horribly cliche mecha lovestory! Best mecha I've seen since E7 (and has a HELL of a better start). If the animation was a little more detailed (though I have no real problems with it), this could be even better. However, the animation was absolute awesome with how fluid and complicated the fight was in the first eps. Considering what the animation is normally, I wasn't expecting much. Very Happy

I'm a very very happy panda right now. Anime catgrin
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omar235

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6: spoiler[At long last she has finally excepted everyone as friends!! She seems to excepted the fact that her friends are gone but that now is the time to make new friends and to protect them...for me this is a hupe series uplift since her atitude thus far was getting to be a bit annoying. I also have to say that I love Lavinia she's sorta funny and she provides the comedic relief...for a minute there I thought she was going to die then that would have been my last straw...I told myself that if she died in this episode I would drop the series...well maybe not drop it, but it would have soured the whole experience (that doesn't mean it will bother me if she dies later in the series but if she died this soon...)]
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:36 am Reply with quote
I finally realized why the mech battles all look so familiar. The style of the actual mechs is quite similar to the Voices of a Distant Star ones. Or am I just imagining that similarity? Either way, I really like it; the cg quality is rather low, and everything besides the mechs is even lower in quality... but it all has a rather tangible style and I really like it.

I'm caught up to eps 6 and I really am loving it. It doesn't quite maintain that first episode's level, but I don't know what I could have been expecting, as I feel it is doing most everything right except for that annoying little mechanic kid. (WTH is with characters like him? It's one thing to be a kid genius, it's quite another to be 12 years old and have a high military rank that allows him relative autonomy on a military ship. One is believable and relatively common, the other is completely unfeasible and distracting to the story). I am however finding myself absolutely in love with Lavinia's character. I love characters like hers, and find her relationship with everyone else to actually pretty funny (I loved her entrance in eps 5 Laughing ) She should be the only comic relief, just get rid of that annoying ass brat. Sara's character development is a welcome break from all the unbelievably angsty and stereotypical heros of shounens (I'm looking at you Shinn). She is unquestionably one of my top 3 heroines already (probably tied for second with Saber)(though the ending of the show may change this...) as I've been thinking for years that there should be female characters like hers. Not enough can be said for how much I love her character and how well explained and well dealt with it all is.

I'm also finding the way they treat light-speed to be unbearable to my physics-minded head; it drives me insane thinking about it. However, I just try to imagine that they're moving through a very dense nebula (or something) and that they're firing projectiles instead of lasers... that helps a bit. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

EDIT: Hmm.... anyone got any ideas on how likely this is to be liscensed? Probably not very likely if you asked me Anime cry I'd love to buy the R1 of this, but I'm afraid this may be the first import I get Crying or Very sad It better at least have subs.... I'm gonna go cry in the corner...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omar235

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7 was spoiler[HOT!! I mean I think this the first time where there was complete nudity in this series so I wasn't really expecting it, course it was a pleasant surprise. Wink I was surprised to find out Jessie was a lesbian, I don't know maybe I just didn't see the signs. And more on the increase in ecchi material it was a surprised I mean I wonder what happened, they just took a leap in this direction, well anyways it was a funny episode that gave a good look at Lavinia. Very Happy But jeeze someone should tell Lavinia that these is such a thing as trying too hard to get someone to like you I mean emily was everything to Sara, but I guess it wasn't completely her fault...even though she shouldn't have put the doll over the trash can, thats just asking for trouble. ]
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:12 am Reply with quote
I summarize episode 7 with THESE!!!

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=934355#934355

Of course, it wasn't a totally useless episode. spoiler[This is especially true since the real Emily decided to go off on her own due to her boredom. Next episode is more likely that Ralph and the real Emily and Sara will meet face to face.]
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 7 wasn't good for much in terms of story. But it was fun and great for spoiler[yuri and oppai. Razz ]
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 8 was like the TOTAL antithesis of episode 7! Shocked

spoiler[- That supposed love-interest Carris got KILLED by Sara's brother Ralph.

- The real Emily made contact with Sara. And not to mention Sara met face to face to Ralph in the junk yard.

- It's that moment Lottie discovered that Sara and Ralph were indeed related. She's not that pleased.

- Heck those two kid-mechanics also discovered Sara's real name.]

Really good stuff here! Very Happy
omar235

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8: spoiler[ Like darkchibi07 I can't believe Carris died, I mean he was just getting along with Sara and then BOOM...dead. I wonder how thaose child mechanics will take the information, I think Lottie might tell but then again she could go beserk and rush at Sara and end up dying...I wouldn't be surprised with the way things go in this series. ]But hey I have to say I really like this series I have a feeling that the plot behind all this is going to come out soon and I think it will be way out there. Hopefully we will find out why Ralph went nuts, or if he really is nuts. Also who exactly this enemy is and what they did or said to Ralph.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Just watched eps 8 and 9... omfg... what just happened?

spoiler[God I am loving this show in so many ways. It's so unpredictable at times, I keep expecting something really generic (probably due to the animation style), but that's almost never what I get. As for Carris... I did not see that coming, not even once, not even in the furthest reaches of my mind. The way the whole thing was handled was so innocent and carefree, I expected almost the exact opposite of what happened, right up until Carris started to move towards the hole to see what was going on at which point the only thing that went through my mind was: "oh shit! What are you doing?! Get away from the hole......... NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! (vader style)"

The other thing I really liked was how well the crew took Sara's identity in eps 9. Considering the entire circumstances, Sara's personality (particularly as a Gambee pilot, when the majority of the crew was interacting with her), Sara's circumstances (i.e. how she lied to everyone about her identity to get into the squad), and the impact Ralph's betrayal as an ace pilot who has killed hundreds of his own people would have on everyone non-Deague... they took it quite realistically I thought.

One thing I didn't like was how the captain seemed so trusting of Lotte in eps 9. There is no way anyone would/should trust anyone in that sort of state to restrain themselves; anyone who knowingly let someone in an almost uncontrollable rage enter a room with the object of their rage alone with a loaded gun has got to be either an idiot or is insane to expect them not to shoot, regardless of who the person in question is. I know of no one with more self control than me, regardless of my mental state, and I wouldn't trust myself for a second; it's just asking for trouble if you ask me. Whatever though, I can forgive this one; it's rather unrealistic... especially for a captain... but I also can't say it's completely out of the realm of possibility. (Though it does make me wonder how the captain knows Lotte well enough... she couldn't have had that many encounters alone with the captain under normal circumstances considering her age and her position... something else going on here me thinks Rolling Eyes )

There was a lapse in 'how awesome' this show was around eps 3-5... but after that brief lapse the show has just been getting better and better Very Happy]

It's so unpredictable, if it ends on the same note it's at now, I'll be giving it a 9.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Aside from the aforementioned issue, my only complaint was the Sara never once menionted the fact that spoiler[All of her friends were killed by her brother. She gives her Onii-chan speech and goes into how much she looked up to her older brother but never once mentions her friends death, a large reason behind her anti-social state throughout the series. And yet.... nada. It's especially odd considering she lost yet another friend, and that should have gotten SOMETHING out of her about losing all of her previous friends.]

But I'll forgive it if we get some more Lavinia x Jessie scenes.
omar235

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:18 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
But I'll forgive it if we get some more Lavinia x Jessie scenes.

Well now that lover boy Carris is out of the picture there might be some Lavinia x Sara scenes. Twisted Evil But yeah spoiler[the fact that she hasn't told anybody why she is so anti-social bothered me, I mean there is no real reason to hide it so why not explain it. While she is at it she should explain everything that has happened up until the time she arrived on that ship. ]
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:14 am Reply with quote
Actually, I was just thinking about this, but I'll bet the reason she never explained it, is because she doesn't want the pity. Think about how that would feel, to have everyone feel bad for you and try to console you, particularly when you don't want them to. Sure, it would probably help Sara justify herself to the rest of the crew, but she doesn't want them to feel sorry for her, and frankly, I can empathize.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9:

spoiler[From the looks of it, Sara has said enough for her situation/position to be clearly articulated across. After talking for perhaps the longest she ever had for the entire series, Lotti calmed down and stopped her "emo face distortions" (which blogger was it that coined the term?), so what Sara said was sufficient. She made it very clear that despite greatly loving her brother, she fully intends to kill him, already indicative of her suffering and possibly her anti-socialness.]
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:36 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
"emo face distortions" (which blogger was it that coined the term?)

Anime on My Mind, one of my favorites. However, I believe it is "emo facial contortions."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3