• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Welcome, new Mods (announcement on page 9).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:13 am Reply with quote
Thanks, willag. It's appreciated.

Please humour me as I write glowingly of myself in response to the nomination for the role of moderator.

As you can see from the info on the left, I've been registered since 2008. A regular contributor since 2009 and a subscriber for most of that time, I've written passionately and at length about this art form we all love so much, particularly in the What are you watching right now? Why? thread and in the various Best Of tournaments run by Key. I've been the scorer of the Quote Guessing Game since round 5 and did the leg work in the updating of the Top 10 best / top 5 worst anime thread back in 2012. You can find links to my commentaries on various anime by clicking on My Anime at the bottom of this post.

My approach to moderation would be to follow the examples of Key and Tony K - Key with his knack of engaging with other posters to deflect anger and other unpleasant behaviours while being firm yet friendly; Tony K with his way of editing posts that both addresses people's concerns and demonstrates that, minus the offending comments, people do have valid things to say. I believe ANN should be welcoming to as many people as possible. The role of moderators is to facilitate this by example and action, if necessary. I would add too that, living in Australia, I log on at times that American moderators ordinarly don't thereby conceivably expanding the moderation coverage. I've never been banned or put under moderation, I don't recall any disputes with ANN staff and I'm not aware of issues I may have with other members.

Some things about me. My name is Will, I'm a 56 year old male, reside in the world's most livable city in a unit with my green-eyed cat, my mortgage and my harem of beautiful fighting girls, and work in the retention team of a mutual health insurance company where I assist members at risk of cancelling their policies in reviewing their level of cover. My birthdate precedes by a few months the first ever full colour anime - The Tale of the White Serpent. Likewise the Tokyo Tower, such an icon of anime, was opened in my first year. I watched Astro Boy, Gigantor and Kimba the White Lion during ther first television runs in the 1960s and just this year I completed a project to watch at least one anime from every year of my life - every single one was fascinating (the anime, not my years). You could say my life has embraced the era of modern anime.

Enough of the self-aggrandisement. It would be a pleasure and an honour to contribute to the ANN boards as a moderator.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:11 am Reply with quote
GeminiDS85 wrote:
I nominate jl07045.

Why jl07045 should be a moderator:
Not only is jl07045 one of the most intelligent posters on this site, he/she is also one of the most enjoyable to debate with because he/she does not resort, to my knowledge, to petty tactics to try to win an argument. Furthermore, another point of excellence is that jl07045 will admit when they are wrong, which is an excellent character trait for a moderator because it is much easier for a user to deal with a moderator when they know that a moderator is reasonable, well-balanced, and willing to admit when they are wrong.

I appreciate your words, but I think you're overselling me a bit. I'm an impulsive commenter and I have strong opinions that I like to defend, which is why I try to avoid talkback section for the most part. I do get into arguments occasionally (a couple of them have been cleaned up) and, while I've only intentionally insulted a person here once (to my knowledge), I've sometimes posted in a passive agressive manner or even riled people up a bit on purpose in hopes that they become invested enough to write a more informative and engaging answer. I get angry when I sense pretense or condescension

Another thing is that I comment here quite sporadically, so I don't think many users recognize or have an opinion of me. I think a mod needs to have both recognition and respect from the more active members of this forum.

I also agree to the opinions here that erinnundra would make a good mod. The reasons for that have already been mentioned.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:33 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:

Another thing is that I comment here quite sporadically, so I don't think many users recognize or have an opinion of me. I think a mod needs to have both recognition and respect from the more active members of this forum.

I, too, post sporadically; but you do not see me declining because of that. I think that that you are selling yourself short.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:41 am Reply with quote
Ah, whadda bunch of bums who have been nominated so far. Wink

If ANN was really SERIOUS about getting some quality mods around here, it would pick fencedude, Chagen46, that dude who always complains about how Caucasians shouldn't cosplay because of their big noses and that other dude who always sends abusive PMs that end with "and don't bother contacting me since I'm deleting this account."

Now THAT would be a mod Dream Team.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:02 am Reply with quote
@Psycho101

I'm sorry, I won't do it again. Shocked
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:00 am Reply with quote
^
Hey, imagine you were a newbie and you'd just been moderated by someone using the moniker Psycho 101. Would you argue? That'd be tempting having some deranged person leaping out of your screen and axe-murdering you.

Just kidding.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:50 am Reply with quote
Of the names that have been bandied about so far, the two that I endorse most strongly are nbahn and errinundra. The former I regard as our unofficial forum greeter already and has long done an excellent job politely pointing out forum rules and etiquette to newcomers. The latter has a good reputation for being mature, articulate, and avoiding personal conflicts, and his administration of the Quote Game scoring for the last 3+ years shows long-term diligence.

While I don't have anything specifically against the other nominees, I either don't know them as well (Dessa) or just find that these two have a more strongly-proven track record (Psycho 101).

And yes, Blood-, I did get a chuckle out of your little joke recommendation. Wink I'm surprised that you didn't add steventheeunuch to that list, though.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:57 am Reply with quote
Key--
Thank you very much; your endorsement means a lot to me!
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Same here. Thanks also, jl07045.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Ah, whadda bunch of bums who have been nominated so far. Wink

If ANN was really SERIOUS about getting some quality mods around here, it would pick fencedude, Chagen46, that dude who always complains about how Caucasians shouldn't cosplay because of their big noses and that other dude who always sends abusive PMs that end with "and don't bother contacting me since I'm deleting this account."

Now THAT would be a mod Dream Team.

Key wrote:

And yes, Blood-, I did get a chuckle out of your little joke recommendation. Wink I'm surprised that you didn't add steventheeunuch to that list, though.

Yeah I got a big laugh out of Blood-'s post, I should give him 1 million internet for this humor. Really made my day. Laughing Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
^
Hey, imagine you were a newbie and you'd just been moderated by someone using the moniker Psycho 101. Would you argue? That'd be tempting having some deranged person leaping out of your screen and axe-murdering you.

Just kidding.

I do not jump out of screens and ax murder people. I find that insulting and rude.

I stalk people and hide in the bushes and then jump out and get them with a knife. Less mess to clean up and the decomposing body helps feed nature. I'm an environmentally friendly pyshco.

Though I was joking with Tony earlier that if I did get one of the open spots thanks to his nomination I suppose that would make me his deputy. So since he's Dredd would I be Hershey or Anderson? Laughing
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Guess I'll be crazy and raise my hand. I'm interested. I meet all the criteria, though I'm a little weak on the fifth one as I do occasionally post one liners, but I do make an effort to avoid doing so whenever possible. what do you folks think?

Last edited by getchman on Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
^
Go for it! Smile
I think you'll fare well as Moderator.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I think nbahn, errinundra, Psycho101 and getchman would all make fine mods.

Not as fine as me, of course, but it's pointless to set the bar that high. Wink
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I would put myself forward as I'm on here every day without fail, and mod in my head Wink but I wouldn't class myself as being in the forum for two years as I was a lurker for a while Laughing

Psycho, dear, you have my vote. I would nominate Alan45 as he has such a level head but I don't think he would appreciate it. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13