• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Ho-ho-hangover

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Hollywood is an incredibly secretive bunch, and the reason behind a notable producer or director trying to make a movie adaptation can range anywhere from being a lifelong fan (such as Peter Jackson with the J.R.R. Tolkien books) to having merely heard of it and thinking a movie adaptation would look interesting (hence the robot spiders in The Wild, Wild West).

Actually:
A) the robot spiders ended up in WWW because Barry Sonnenfeld wanted to use them in the pre-Returns Superman movie he didn't get to do. And they didn't make much sense there, either.
B) Funny you should bring Peter Jackson's Tolkien into a discussion on DB: Evolution, since Fox's original announcement was to do a live-action version of DBZ--having only seen the first two seasons on syndie/CN and thinking it only went up through the Namek arc--and promoting it as the Warner competition of "An epic fighting saga in the tradition of LOTR!" (Meaning, they wanted to get a serial trilogy out of it.)

Quote:
I remember reading about how Dragonball: Evolution was originally intended to be way more faithful to the source material, with Piccolo looking way closer to how he did in the manga, Toriyama-like architecture with no school setting, and Goku doing a lot of training, but that it was slowly shifted and mutated into this mess. I'd bet they were given a pretty low budget to make this movie too, looking at the plain and generic backgrounds and the fight choreography, with Fox sweeping it under the rug once it was finished.

There was an earlier leaked script that kept the "Nobody believes in ancient Piccolo" premise, but was filled with classic character-callback cameos:
Emperor Pilaf (looking pale/vampiric, with Shuu as a big dumb Patrick Warburton ninja) would have had a scene at the beginning sending Mai out after the balls, Krillin would have shown up briefly as an unexplained best-bud, and Goku at one point would have ended up north in Sunow's village, and gotten help from a certain wisecracking sitcom-kid girl.
What we got looks like they took the existing script, and had to film it very quickly before the rights expired, so most of the frills, like explanation, became expendable.

Last edited by EricJ2 on Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Waffitti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Nickelodeon did air one anime series in the 2000s/bubble years...in Latin America. It was Yu-Gi-Oh!! (4Kids' other anime offerings were picked up by Cartoon Network), they shuffled it between the afternoon/late night blocks, but they showed all 8 or so seasons, as well as Capsule Monsters and the first 3 seasons of GX (which also got shuffled to the last leg of its run). And I was the dorky kid who watched all the episodes.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Wow, a serial trilogy based on the Dragon Ball story, with Emperor Pilaf in it and everything. That would definitely have been interesting. How did it get screwed up so bad? Time restraints alone couldn't have done so; otherwise, we wouldn't have stuff like Goku going to high school with Bulma.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:53 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Wow, a serial trilogy based on the Dragon Ball story, with Emperor Pilaf in it and everything. That would definitely have been interesting. How did it get screwed up so bad? Time restraints alone couldn't have done so; otherwise, we wouldn't have stuff like Goku going to high school with Bulma.

No, the serial trilogy would have been the DBZ series, starting with Raditz saying "You didn't know you're an alien??", going through Namek, and probably ending up at one of the tournaments (probably the Androids with or without Cell.)

Then--right around the 00's time the Buu saga was airing on CN--they found the series was a little longer than they thought. Shocked
And, that that wasn't the only series. (Going back to the studio-exec "Shows We've Heard Of" explanation.)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Still pretty neat anyway. Would the first movie in the trilogy be about Vegeta landing on Earth and the second one about Frieza on Namek?

Considering the series was ongoing at that time, it'd be weird to think that it would end with Cell, considering there were already at least two other points in the series that looked like an ending but kept going anyway (albeit with many dangling plot threads if you were paying attention).
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So why DID Cartoon Network show anime when it clearly doesn't make financial sense in the long term? That company is very clearly run by animation enthusiasts

That's extremely debatable these days...

By the way, no one mentioned it, but Nickelodeon did make one attempt during the bubble era to get into the anime craze. They aired DiC's dub of Speed Racer X on their SLAM action block in 2002 (which was their way of cashing in on Toonami's popularity, though the rest of the block wasn't anime). Ultimately it failed, and Nickelodeon ditched the show just before DiC found themselves caught up in a lawsuit with Speed Racer Enterprises.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, most of CN Real and Out of Jimmy's Head died rather quick deaths. The majority of Cartoon Network's programming is once again animated.
ReNellGlover

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Antonio Bravo wrote:
CatSword wrote:
Nickelodeon DID try to get involved in the anime craze. In fact, they played a variety of anime on their early morning blocks like Belle and Sebastian and Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics many years ago.

And as the story goes, they had a whole deal lined up with ADV for Sgt. Frog; however, after ADV went under for some reason FUNimation saw no interest in continuing the deal.

Disney...well, Disney, uh, tried? Naruto: Shippuden would have likely had more success for them had they placed it on the main channel instead of their digital subchannel, but I have a feeling they were a bit queasy about the violence.

They also aired the Stitch anime on the same subchannel for four days. Yes, four days. In an early morning timeslot during the school year. Sandwiched in between reruns of series older then the kids supposed to be watching them. Rolling Eyes

Disney Anime hyper is treating Doraemon good and I think disney would let K-ON! On the lineup like the japanese version. All they need is some light editing and there you go. Nicktoons May air Ika Masume since it's on the kids section on Netflix and TV-Y7 Enough to air. So do you think these are great choices? Yes or no?

Yeah, I don't think Disney X D will ever air K-ON!, and I don't see Nicktoons airing I.M., either. Also, Disney X D has been airing Doraemon every morning, but (since earlier this week) only at 6am; all of its other slots (Mon.-Thurs. 3p; weeknights 12:30a) have been removed.

Last edited by ReNellGlover on Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
ReNellGlover

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:
Quote:
So why DID Cartoon Network show anime when it clearly doesn't make financial sense in the long term? That company is very clearly run by animation enthusiasts

That's extremely debatable these days...

By the way, no one mentioned it, but Nickelodeon did make one attempt during the bubble era to get into the anime craze. They aired DiC's dub of Speed Racer X on their SLAM action block in 2002 (which was their way of cashing in on Toonami's popularity, though the rest of the block wasn't anime). Ultimately it failed, and Nickelodeon ditched the show just before DiC found themselves caught up in a lawsuit with Speed Racer Enterprises.

And THEN SRE got sued themselves by Tatsunoko years later.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Dragonball Evolution IS a terrible film, but it's something of a guilty pleasure for me. It LOOKS gorgeous with good production values and fight choreography, as well as decent special effects. Justin Chatwin was really the only actor in the film that I hated, and Emmy Rossum is easy on the eyes. Razz

I'd love to see Hollywood take another crack at Dragon Ball. I think Dragon Ball Z could be easily adapted as a 4-film series.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
And this was from an anime whose localization changed all of the characters' and most of the Pokémon's names and changed Brock's onigiri to a donut. It was upfront about being Japanese in origin.

Oh there was no hiding Pokemon's Japanese origins. The very name of the franchise gives it away (along with names like "Pikachu")!

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
Antonio Bravo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Antonio Bravo wrote:
CatSword wrote:
Nickelodeon DID try to get involved in the anime craze. In fact, they played a variety of anime on their early morning blocks like Belle and Sebastian and Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics many years ago.

And as the story goes, they had a whole deal lined up with ADV for Sgt. Frog; however, after ADV went under for some reason FUNimation saw no interest in continuing the deal.

Disney...well, Disney, uh, tried? Naruto: Shippuden would have likely had more success for them had they placed it on the main channel instead of their digital subchannel, but I have a feeling they were a bit queasy about the violence.

They also aired the Stitch anime on the same subchannel for four days. Yes, four days. In an early morning timeslot during the school year. Sandwiched in between reruns of series older then the kids supposed to be watching them. Rolling Eyes

Disney Anime hyper is treating Doraemon good and I think disney channel would let K-ON! And Tamako Market to On the lineup like the japanese version. All they need is some light editing and there you go. Nicktoons May air Ika Masume since it's on the kids section on Netflix and TV-Y7 Enough to air. So do you think these are great choices? Yes or no?
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:10 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Dragonball Evolution IS a terrible film, but it's something of a guilty pleasure for me. It LOOKS gorgeous with good production values and fight choreography, as well as decent special effects. Justin Chatwin was really the only actor in the film that I hated, and Emmy Rossum is easy on the eyes. Razz

I'd love to see Hollywood take another crack at Dragon Ball. I think Dragon Ball Z could be easily adapted as a 4-film series.

For me it was just a forgettable bad film.It wasn't hilariously bad compared too something like the live action Street Fighter film. I do think a live action Dragon Ball film could be done well if you give it to someone like Stephen Chow who could make it work.
silentjay

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:40 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Actually:
A) the robot spiders ended up in WWW because Barry Sonnenfeld wanted to use them in the pre-Returns Superman movie he didn't get to do. And they didn't make much sense there, either.

Actually, Jon Peters had the giant spider thing, not Sonnenfeld.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
And this was from an anime whose localization changed all of the characters' and most of the Pokémon's names and changed Brock's onigiri to a donut. It was upfront about being Japanese in origin.

Oh there was no hiding Pokemon's Japanese origins. The very name of the franchise gives it away (along with names like "Pikachu")!

Only if you're already wise to the Japanese language, which, guess what, most American kids aren't.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:37 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Well, most of CN Real and Out of Jimmy's Head died rather quick deaths. The majority of Cartoon Network's programming is once again animated.

And people bitching about it for one reason or the next showing how all the asshurt over CN Real was silly to start with.

"Young Justice? Where's "superhero X" that's not on the show this show sucks.

"Why is Beware The Batman CG?"

"My Generation had Powerpuff Girls, today's generation has terrible stuff like Clarence".

Whine Whine Whine.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5