• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Death Parade (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:35 pm Reply with quote

Death Parade (TV)

Genres: Game, Psychological
Themes:

Plot Summary: After death, humans go to either heaven or hell. But for some, at the instant of their death, they arrive at the Queen Decim, a bar attended by the mysterious white-haired Decim. He challenges them to the Death Game, wherein they wager their lives and reveal their true natures. Decim himself is the ultimate arbitrator of who wins and who loses, who lives and who dies.
----------------------------------

I'm actually kinda surprised this got a full TV series adaptation. Death Billiards debuted not too long ago and I enjoyed that so I expect the style of this series to be similar. On top of that, I really like the way the premise is described along with the game gimmicks. Madhouse adapts this series and is one of my favorite studios so I have high expectations from them :>
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Very well done episode imo. spoiler[It captured the mood well with both the OP and ED song. It also didn't waste time with the mind games as a couple find themselves in danger.]

OST is decent too along with the overall honesty to the premise. Definitely something to keep an eye on the look out for this season. Well done Madhouse.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
This one looks intriguing.
Has a lot of potential too.
First "customers" were in for an unpleasant surprise.
This slightly reminds me of Danganronpa.
It's certainly unusual enough to give it a try.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:05 am Reply with quote
So it's an entire show about people being horrible to each others? Pass.

Maybe if they'd be trying to outsmart the system that could be somewhat interesting, but I'm guessing that won't happen till episode… hum I'll go with 5.

EDIT: Just read Hope first episode comment about 501 point being impossible with 7 darts, spoiler[the number of dart being too low to get 501 points was just a way of saying "if they work together they could have gotten the 501 points" and maybe both get reincarnated.]

Last edited by meiam on Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:46 am; edited 3 times in total
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:10 am Reply with quote
kind if average. i guess i will watch another ep.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

So the game spoiler[didn't actually matter]? I though it was spoiler[Machiko did the best but she was the one that went to the void (hell)]. I have some questions, was the point being that whoever wins spoiler[gets the punishment, or was the whole point to show what they are both like]? Did spoiler[she actually cheat, or did she say it just to hurt him]? Is that spoiler[why she was sent to the void]?

And I read elsewhere that according to some religions one might see spoiler[reincarnation could count as something bad for being stuck in a cycle, while going to void can count as becoming part of everything].
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:56 am Reply with quote
So was the unanswered "one more question," spoiler["What happened to the baby?" or is the assumption that a fetus has no soul or that it automatically goes to heaven or wherever good and innocent souls are thought to go?]
MYAOI

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So was the unanswered "one more question," spoiler["What happened to the baby?" or is the assumption that a fetus has no soul or that it automatically goes to heaven or wherever good and innocent souls are thought to go?]

Good point. The episode shows no attention to details.
I watched the first episode but it was disappointing. Not a good way to start a series.
Poor characterization, lack of originality, trivial plot.
The series has to improve alot if it aims at a higher target.

P.S.
the baby should go to the purgatory, being not baptized, or eventually to the hell according to a more arcaic reading.
P.P.S.
Gina, you have a pm.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:43 am Reply with quote
This was a fascinating episode for all of the mysteries and questions that it raised.

How much of what Decim said should be taken at face value? spoiler[He said that they would stake "their life" on this game (which in a way was true... one of them got to live again). Additionally, the subtitles originally said Heaven and Hell, but later on became Reincarnation and Void.]

Was the wife actually lying at the end? spoiler[Her pause and facial expressions prior to revealing the "truth" kind of leave it up in the air. On the one hand, she might have been entirely honest and was playing him the entire time, in both life and death, to get what she wanted. This seems too easy of an answer, and the flashback never actually showed the woman's face. It could be misleading the viewer. The other option is that she was lying, accepting the role of the "adulterer" so that her husband wouldn't have to feel guilty about killing their child.]

Is the final outcome an either/or every time? Is it not possible for a couple to go to the same place? At this time, we're lead to believe that there can only be one "winner," but such a premise is entirely unfair. You die together with another person, but rather than being judged individually you're judged relative to the other person's goodwill/merits. I'd be curious to see if, in the future, two people can go to the same place.

How omniscient is Quindecim? Are judgments made on face value of what the characters are saying? In which case, can someone be judged unfairly? For example, in this episode, spoiler[is it possible that the woman was lying and that she did get the worse outcome?] Are the judges just as human and prone to mistakes as everyone else? And if they are omniscient, then what's the entire point of this exercise? Is it to get people to accept their mistakes and guilt? Is it to give people a chance to let go of their burdens (because as long as you still have regrets and ties to life, you're unable to move on)?

How misleading are the masks? Just based on initial appearances, the Oni mask makes it seem like spoiler[the Void] is the more unappealing of the two options, with it's distraught face that looks like a demon you'd see from hell. While the white mask has a peaceful smile/expression on its face in the few seconds we see it, which might make one think that spoiler[reincarnation] is the preferred option. However, what if it's reverse? spoiler[Reincarnation could be a hell unto itself, being forced to relive and repeat your mistakes, while the Void could be option of finally escaping the cycle of death and rebirth. In Buddhism, the ultimate goal of religious life is to escape the endless cycle of death and rebirth.] While doing some research on Noh masks, I came across the following: Deigan mask (looks similar to the white mask) and Hannya mask (looks like the oni mask), both of which are Onryo masks (which portray spirits of dead regretful and vengeful people).

It's an interesting thought study, and I'm looking forward to seeing where the series goes and how many of my questions will actually be answered.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:22 am Reply with quote
Some interesting points above. It questions your defintions of Heaven and Hell as we view 'passing over' differently depending on our country of origin and our upbringing. Whether we get just a taste of Japan's history through this or that other cultures get some exploration would be an interesting feat.

I would like to see a more archaic approach. What if where you go depends on this arbitrary game and as no bearing on what you did in life and what we saw is a rare example of two people involved with each other dying at the same time. The rules suggest that single people would not be present at the game or would it be that just single people who die at the same time are involved. In which case there would be none of the emotional drama this episode presented.

To early to call but this show can certainly go places. Also, best OP of the season.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:57 am Reply with quote
The original AM episode was about two completely unrelated participants, and it did just fine.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
If we are to take the real first episode, Death Billards, into consideration, then it seems that spoiler[both people who enter the bar are dead, both have committed sins in life, and both died at the same time, so the system doesn't know what to do with them. The game is used as a test of their soul's character. In which case I think it might be less about who "wins" or "loses" and more about how you play the game that determines your final judgement.]

Last edited by Kruszer on Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I don't see how you couldn't take Billiards into consideration. Also I'm glad the series might get into the world of the dead much sooner than something like Jigoku Shoujo did.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:49 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I don't see how you couldn't take Billiards into consideration. Also I'm glad the series might get into the world of the dead much sooner than something like Jigoku Shoujo did.

Well, from people's comments, it sounds to me like some people in this thread haven't seen it before watching Death Parade, that's why they wouldn't be considering it.

willag wrote:
Was the wife actually lying at the end? spoiler[Her pause and facial expressions prior to revealing the "truth" kind of leave it up in the air. On the one hand, she might have been entirely honest and was playing him the entire time, in both life and death, to get what she wanted. This seems too easy of an answer, and the flashback never actually showed the woman's face. It could be misleading the viewer. The other option is that she was lying, accepting the role of the "adulterer" so that her husband wouldn't have to feel guilty about killing their child.]

To me it appeared to be both at once spoiler[She did cheat on him, but she also felt guilty and still loves him so she decided to accept the role of the villainous adulterer and confess so he doesn't have to worry about being responsible for the baby's death too. Maybe she even knows for a fact that the baby is truly her husband's as well, hence the conflicting emotions, and is lying about that to protect him.]
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:45 am Reply with quote
I wasn't as enamored of this ep as most of the ANN critics were. I felt the couple's story was a bit pat and predicted most of the twists. I agreed with Nick Creamer's comment about the episode being "melodramatic SAW." The production values were superb, though and I'm interested in the staff of Purgatorial Bar.
So, what's a preferred afterlife conclusion? spoiler[reincarnation or The Void? I really feel that even if she did cheat, he was more at fault because his jealousy caused the accident. If he would have tried to talk to her about it, maybe they wouldn't have died. Even after deat he got angry and jealous enough to try to physically attack her. She may have been a cheating golddigger, but he was a jerk. ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8