• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sunday Without God Blu-Ray

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ljaesch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching this Blu-ray myself the other night. I wanted to respond about your criticism of the "concentration camp" statement being made in the dub. The "concentration camp" comment in the Goran Academy episodes appeared in the subtitles, both during its original simulcast run on Crunchyroll in Fall 2013 and in the subtitles that appear on this set. So that comment wasn't created for the dub. It was a translation choice for the subtitles, but I don't know whether that's what was originally said in the Japanese dialogue or if that was what the translator decided to put there. But I agree that "concentration camp" was over the top for what as going on there; "prison" would have been a better term to use.

But it was an interesting experience for me to see this series in larger chunks when watching the Blu-ray set compared to watching this as a weekly simulcast. I picked up on a couple of weaknesses in the story this time around that I hadn't picked up on when it was a weekly simulcast. While I still liked Sunday Without God after my recent viewing, I didn't like it quite as much as when I watched it as a weekly simulcast.

I was rather disappointed in the OVA, because I didn't think it truly added anything to the series. I felt that the episode, "Where Gravekeepers Are Born," was better than the OVA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for pointing that out - I forgot to mention that it was also in the sub track. I do tend to react very strongly to the use of that term (family history), so it is a bit of a relief that you agree that "prison" would have been better.

I can see how watching this show weekly would have made it more enjoyable, actually. It would give you time to process it more slowly.
B00m23

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I really didn't like how spoiler[they revived Alice in the end] it just sort of...cheapened things a little.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote
B00m23 wrote:
I really didn't like how spoiler[they revived Alice in the end] it just sort of...cheapened things a little.

I agree. That ending felt so forced, almost like it was decided that there needed to be some kind of a "happy ending" to the series.

I understand that the anime was being produced before the light novel series ended, but the ending for the anime needed to be different than what it ended up being.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I agree. That ending felt so forced, almost like it was decided that there needed to be some kind of a "happy ending" to the series.

I REALLY didn't want to see Ai lose another hot g-I mean PRECIOUS PERSON so I very much liked the ending.

Come on, how much are we gonna torture this kid!?

It wasn't "cheap" or "forced". It follows the series logic; if you wish hard enough for something, it happens. That's why spoiler[Kizuna was able to die while being immortal and that's why Ai was able to save her future boyfriend (they are canon in the light novel.)] Her wish not being granted goes against the series' past events (miracles if you will) and her NOT wishing to save him would be so OOC, I can't even.

It's likely that some scenes of the anime were not as well-written as the novel but I cannot be sure as the novel is a little too advanced for my level of Japanese. They REALLY butchered the chapter "Where Gravekeepers are Born" and it made me really mad because spoiler[Ai reunites with her parents' spirits] and I wanted to see that SO badly. Anime cry

Still, this show was my personal favorite of 2013 and I'm still a huge fan. I own all the light novels too and hope to fix up my Ai cosplay so I can do it properly this year. :3

Last edited by Chiibi on Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
For those who are wondering, the ending for the light novel the last story is based on, and the ending of the anime are the same. spoiler[Alice survives and plays a major role in the last few novels]

This was one of my favorite shows from last year, and I had it pre ordered almost as soon as it came out. Although I haven't had a chance to rewatch it yet. It's more of an atmospheric show than a plot heavy one, but that is not a bad thing in the slightest. In fact I think it adds to the emotional impact and catharsis of the series, which is definitely one of the aspects it gets right.

The fanservice in the OVA is a bit out of place, and those three episodes are almost universally the least liked, but the overall series is so good, they are easy to overlook.

The show is simply beautiful though, in almost every way. The colors especially are beautiful and poignant.

It's a shame the series bombed so hard in Japan. The novels ended recently, and from what I've heard, they have a huge twist and a pretty great ending. I'd love to have some proper closure for the series.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

I REALLY didn't want to see Ai lose another hot g-I mean PRECIOUS PERSON so I very much liked the ending.

Totally with you, Chiibi. And I agree that it was very much in character - her whole goal is to save people.

Also, spoiler[they're an official couple now!? Shriek of dorky joy!!!]

Last edited by Princess_Irene on Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
B00m23

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I know it's depressingly unlikely, but I hope the light novel gets localized. I mean...Index was, so....spoiler[>.<]
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

Totally with you, Chiibi. And I agree that it was very much in character - her whole goal is to save people.

Also, spoiler[they're an official couple now!? Shriek of dorky joy!!!]

I'm glad someone agrees. Anime hyper

YES!!! Let me join you in shrieking dorkily. Anime hyper <3

Quote:
I know it's depressingly unlikely, but I hope the light novel gets localized.

I would very much love to take this project on (as a fan)....but take that with a grain of salt. I'm always setting unrealistic goals for myself. I'm more serious about this one though. Maybe hand-write a chapter translation, mail it to Yen Press or Little Brown and see what happens. Anime hyper
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
This sounds like a very interesting series. Definitely something I'd be interested in. Guess I'll have to add that to my growing list to watch.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
It wasn't "cheap" or "forced". It follows the series logic; if you wish hard enough for something, it happens. That's why spoiler[Kizuna was able to die while being immortal and that's why Ai was able to save her future boyfriend (they are canon in the light novel.)] Her wish not being granted goes against the series' past events (miracles if you will) and her NOT wishing to save him would be so OOC, I can't even.

Even if is part of the canon and the series' logic, the execution of that part of story was, to my taste, a bit lackluster, giving that story arc a cheap aftertaste.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I was disappointed with this show. The individual stories of the characters were not developed or coherent enough to carry the show. Unfortunately, the overarching narrative was so vague and nebulous that that couldn't carry the show either. I agree with the review that there was a heavy reliance on atmospherics and "feeling" here. However, if you are a person who was simply not moved by the "feeling" of the show, then you will get very little from it. Personally, I found the "feeling" to come across as forced throughout most of the show. The characters often acted in ways that seemed unnatural. I'll have to go back to my commentary in the show's forum thread for examples, but im on my phone at the moment. The idea for the show was excellent, it just didn't follow that up with equally good narrative and development.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

Even if is part of the canon and the series' logic, the execution of that part of story was, to my taste, a bit lackluster, giving that story arc a cheap aftertaste.

Since I hadn't read the light novels, I wasn't aware that that was the canon ending for that story arc. The way it was done in the anime felt like a "cop out" to viewers like myself who haven't read the light novels. I think the main problem with it was that it wasn't conveyed clearly that Ai had wished to save him. If there had been more episodes of the series, then perhaps this part of the story would have felt more natural to the viewer.

After reading the explanation from readers of the light novel, the ending does make more sense and feels less like a "cop out." I wish this been conveyed better in the anime.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Such is the fate of MANY novel adaptations. >_>

I still love this anime though; it's absolutely beautiful in so many ways. It was love-at-first-sight. Anime hyper
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Without God was a show that reached for greatness, but stopped short when it should have stepped on the gas. Still, the arc where they travel to the city of the dead was really, really good and I just wish the show could have been more like that with the rest of its episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4