• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Streaming Service, Website Back Online

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:06 am Reply with quote
hellsingfan01 wrote:
what i don't get is why attack an anime streaming site it makes no sense
Same reason Lizard Squad tried to take down PSN and XBL, 15 minutes of internet fame, and shits and giggles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:45 am Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
hellsingfan01 wrote:
what i don't get is why attack an anime streaming site it makes no sense
Same reason Lizard Squad tried to take down PSN and XBL, 15 minutes of internet fame, and shits and giggles.

According to reports, Lizard Squad had other motivations:
http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/31/lizard-squads-takedown-for-hire-service-quickly-disappears/

They also got "paid" for stopping the PSN and XBL attacks:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/12/26/how-kim-dotcom-saved-christmas-from-the-lizard-squad/
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:07 am Reply with quote
Well it's now reported according to The Guardian, that one member of the Lizard Squad has been arrested.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shukujo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Well we don't know their motives, but Crunchyroll has apps on PSN and Xbox Live. So maybe they're treated like target, or there's another reason: maybe the hacker group hate anime (and wouldn't surprise me if they are racist against Japanese and probably Asian in general).

Well, ever since Anonymous made ddosing not only "cool" but so easy that a 10yo can easily bring down any site, we should all safely assume that the motivation for any ddos attack can be as infuriatingly petty as some hormone-rattled and frustrated teenager getting banned from a site for breaking their rules (whether or not their frustrations are valid sources of stress isn't even the question here). Chatango was recently offline for almost a whole week due to this exact reason - some kid got banned from a pokemon site's chat box, and he acted in retaliation.

While I like the idea/concept of Anonymous' Mission Statement, I do think they're more than a little unrealistic and somewhat irresponsible in the actual application of their credo. Making a ddos tool that, as I said, even a child can use, and is readily available to anyone who gets a bug up their butt wasn't the smartest move of all time, methinks.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:47 am Reply with quote
They might be under attack again, the site has been going down sporadically tonight. One minute it works and the next it's a 520 error.

Emerje
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:59 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
They might be under attack again, the site has been going down sporadically tonight. One minute it works and the next it's a 520 error.

Yeah, you're right something wrong with CR again. The hackers better be not at it again. Mad
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:10 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Emerje wrote:

Yeah, you're right something wrong with CR again. The hackers better be not at it again. Mad

Sometimes, it's just the aftermath of the carnage. When Lizard Squad stopped their DDoS attacks on XBL and PSN due to Kim Dotcom, XBL went back up soon after but it took PSN a couple of extra days to get back up. CR may just be being PSN.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:59 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Sometimes, it's just the aftermath of the carnage. When Lizard Squad stopped their DDoS attacks on XBL and PSN due to Kim Dotcom, XBL went back up soon after but it took PSN a couple of extra days to get back up. CR may just be being PSN.

Yes, I'm able to access Crunchyroll now. Looks like you're correct. Very Happy
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:48 am Reply with quote
Lizard Squad had a plain derailed and the FBI had to jump on the case because that is terrorism. I hope jails will suit him.
Norbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:56 am Reply with quote
Wow, of all the places they could break in so as to "stick it to the man" they choose Crunchyroll. What rebels.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2