• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2015 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Via_01

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:24 pm Reply with quote
About Absolute Duo, I'm pretty sure his name is Tooru (at least that's how it sounds), and that it just so happens to sound like Thor, hence why Julie (or Yurie, because the pronunciation sounds more like Yurie), compares him to the god.

That aside, yeah, it is a LN adaptation that takes a lot from other LNs without adding anything new, but it wasn't so bad. The fight scenes were well done, and the musical score was nice. This is only the first chapter, so I'll wait until they finish the first arc before saying anything else.

And I've yet to try Cute High Earth Defense Club. I suppose I should. At least the reviews make it sound promising.
Blue21

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:31 pm Reply with quote
So with all this gender flipping going on in CHEDC, what are the odds of a Tuxedo Mask-type girl appearing?
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Are we sure their names are Thor and Julie, because the cast list for Absolute Duo says their names are Toru and Yurie.

Nitpicking aside, Thor is the last name I would've expected a non-Marvel anime MC to have. Very Happy

I fixed that! You can also see it was similarly romanized in the Spotlight (and the info from that comes over from Japan, to my knowledge)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mc-Taz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I was really looking forward to Absolute Duo pre-season start, but after watching the first episode I couldn't help but leave disappointed. Sure it's competently animated and the character designs are appealing, however it just seemed like a checklist of tropes as the episode went on. With each character introduction you see another check mark being hit, and by the time we got to the homeroom teacher I was already rolling my eyes. She was just one big ball of moe fanservice elements combined into a single hyperactive bouncy character. It's like they're trying to sell the show to as many people's specific interests as possible without actual doing anything special.

If it continues to be a "here's the character you've been waiting for" or "here is this exact scene you've seen twenty times before in other shows", "give them what they want otaku-bait" kind of series I'll more than likely be dropping it. I still would like to give it a chance though for some odd reason. If the story actually develops and gets interesting it will be enough for me to see it through, but so far I was not impressed.

Edit: As for the spellings of the characters' names, the Japanese website for the show has them listed as Tor and Julie.

Last edited by Mc-Taz on Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I watched Boueibu and it's premiere is gunna be hard to top, but I have a feeling either KNB S3 or Durarara!!!x2 will take it's place soon enough.

I'm also a little excited for Kancolle. I've enjoyed Strike Witches and Girls und Panzer. The whole cute girls + military themes, I dunno, I just dig it.

Blue21 wrote:
So with all this gender flipping going on in CHEDC, what are the odds of a Tuxedo Mask-type girl appearing?

no grils allowed
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:46 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:
Are we sure their names are Thor and Julie, because the cast list for Absolute Duo says their names are Toru and Yurie.

Nitpicking aside, Thor is the last name I would've expected a non-Marvel anime MC to have. Very Happy

I fixed that! You can also see it was similarly romanized in the Spotlight (and the info from that comes over from Japan, to my knowledge)

The Spotlight info is indeed dictated by the studio producing the show, and it's spelled that way in the Funimation subtitles, also approved by the studio.

Don't get thor about it! A-hyuk
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Part of me is a bit irritated that Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE seems better animated and designed then Sailor Moon Crystal...

It was easy money Toei....
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu Love! is... garbage.

I can't name a single redeeming thing about it, it's just all around bad.
OK, maybe the animation is good, and it DID have Ishida Akira in it. (always a plus for me).

The jokes were terrible and the characters annoying. I know it's a parody, but still...

It's not even that gay (I expected full fujoushi pandering), it's just lame.

People comparing this with Free!, in terms of hot guys, are deluded.
If you want to watch pretty boys, please buy and watch Free!. THAT'S how you do a show about pretty boys right.

This abomination is just... horrible.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Or... you know... consume multiple pieces of entertainment. As people interested in pretty boys probably already saw Free!, it's kind of asinine to tell them to go watch it again, instead of watching something new.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:29 pm Reply with quote
If you haven't seen Free! and you like pretty boys, go watch it now.

If you have seen Free! and want to watch pretty boys, DON'T WATCH Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu Love!, it's trash. Watch an older pretty boys anime.

Better?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Meet the new season. Same as the old season.
Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! What was that again? Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! Okay, okay! No need to shout!
This might possibily be a good show, but I'm not that interested in a gender changing piss take of Sailor Moon, or any other mahou shoujo show one wishes to compare it with. (yawn)
Next!

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:00 pm Reply with quote
regarding the protagonist's name, tohru wouldnt be a specially rare anime character name (like adachi from persona 4 or chaika's MC) but it wouldnt be the first time that they throw a protagonist with an occidental name for no reason and the translators being confused, i remember when death note first came out, a lot of people including me though the real name was Raito and that those who call him light where being silly. the quick way would be asking someone who read the light novel wether it was written in kanji or hiragana. in any way, the fact is that we got a shot of the thunder god in this episode and he didn't correct her when compairing

regarding the review, yes, i dont felt particularly amazed by this episode but i dont think an anime being cliche or formulaic is per se a reason to give a low score. sure, if one has seen the same thing being done before of course it will be difficult to be amuzed, but lets remember that every year there are new watchers being born and might just be seing this traits for the very first time. some one born on 2001 was probably too young to have seen "soul eater" or "ichiban ushiro no daimaou" or "aria the scarlet ammo" for instance, cause you now, fantasy-harem anime are mainly aimmed to pubescent boys

Last edited by MiloTheFirst on Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it's parodying Sailor Moon so much as Pretty Cure. The animal mascot, role call, and fights had more in common with the Pretty Cure than Sailor Moon.

It's amusing enough, but obviously not for my gender. Maybe if it was played more straight than outrageous parody where it plays with the general tropes only genderbent. Being so over the top about it seems like it'd lend itself better to a one-off episode, sort of like that one episode of Smile Precure, than an entire series where it could get old fast. Depends how they handle it from here.

Last edited by Fedora-san on Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
About Absolute Due, I think his actual name IS Torru, but since the girl is Danish (I think), she mishears it as Thor.

This actually happened to me. My name is Eugene. On a business trip, I met two Japanese girls who worked at the same company. My name was Yuuji for two weeks.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I see we've entered the "this is trash for girls, let me as a man tell you what GOOD things girls should like" part of the preview guide.

Also, the "yes it seems good but it is aimed at girls and I am a man so I shan't deign to watch it" quote-unquote rebuttal.

Otaku bros. Otaku bros never change.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 38