• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Offers Subtitle-Only Subscription Plan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Excellent. The trouble with Funimation is they usually snag the best show or two but lack the sheer volume of Crunchyroll. Unless you're taking advantage of their dubbed back-catalog (which I don't really need to) it isn't really the best deal. But just their subbed simulcasts for $13? I'd pay that even if I only end up watching one show from them in a given season.
sakurablossom143

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
okay, correct me if i'm not understanding this correctly... they are doing a subtitled-only subscription w/ no commercials... so that means that they are still going to have subtitled eps for free w/ commercials then, right? i've been getting so confused lately...
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:23 pm Reply with quote
yes. simulcasts will be free a week later in standard definition and with commercials

Last edited by getchman on Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I have the all access pass now thanks to a very good Christmas deal but since I can't get this deal twice I will be switching to the sub only deal the next year.

If I want to watch something dubbed Ill wait for the DVD/BR.

I am happy to see they are offering more pricing options.
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I say pay the extra 5 for the excellent English dubs available. Like Fairy Tail, Space Dandy, Black Lagoon, Psycho-Pass, A Certain Index, and so on.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:46 pm Reply with quote
sakurablossom143 wrote:
okay, correct me if i'm not understanding this correctly... they are doing a subtitled-only subscription w/ no commercials... so that means that they are still going to have subtitled eps for free w/ commercials then, right? i've been getting so confused lately...

Yes. Nothing about the current methods to stream are changing. They are just adding a new tier between free and all-access.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Already subscribed to some services I had not gone to Funimation (despite having shows I wanted to see) because i couldn't justify the cost. This certainly helps my considerations.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:18 pm Reply with quote
What about the digital home video versions?

For example, with Highschool DxD New, not only is the home video version uncensored and have the usual animation fixes, it also has an extra ~3 mins of new content in each episode. From what I understand with the All-access pass, the simulcasts are eventually replaced with the home video version (for subscribers' sake, I hope they will continue to do that too with simuldubs, even though it's more expensive) Will the plan include the sub-only version of all of their home video versions when they are released too?

Quote:
The plan will also not include video extras and Funimation Store promotions.

Does this mean it will not include the OVAs/specials that are part of a show's final release?
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm sold for this, Funimation has been picking up better and better titles lately and only $5 a month? Who's dumb enough not to pick this up?!?!?!
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Oh, FUNimation, you canny bastards, you are tempting me sorely. You done gone and licensed a mess of shows this season, including almost all of the ones that I'm interested in, now you're giving me a comparatively economical way to see them sooner in better quality.

I could imagine myself taking this offer. I even have some spare change laying around this month.

The streaming market is becoming markedly more competitive now. The differences in content still make it a little messy, but it seems like it might just yield dividends in service quality.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GordanHam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm still just gonna wait till they put it on hulu.
Their site is pretty bad and has barely improved in all the years I have used it.
And unfortunately, I found out this year that their payment system is pretty terrible too. Their shop has given me countless troubles, and then I still held out hope and became a subscriber last month, but now they have screwed me over again and unscubscribed me and sent me emails of false information about my account. The worst part is trying to get into contact with cusomer service and they just don't care when you finally do too. They take forever to respond and talk down to you even after admitting their information was wrong.
Ugh.
Out.
Outcaster00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:53 pm Reply with quote
While I personally love there dubs they put out and for me the all access pass is worth it. I do think this affordable sub only plan is a very good thing to expose people to all there shows legally.
Ryomanagare

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:27 am Reply with quote
If Funimation didn't have such a lacklustre website, low stream quality, or horrible color balance I'd consider it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:49 am Reply with quote
Not to mention hardsubs. I thought we dropped that nonsense in 2007, the only fansubbers who do it now are two hentai groups, because they're very protective of their e-peen and don't want people casually ripping scripts.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:42 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Not to mention hardsubs. I thought we dropped that nonsense in 2007, the only fansubbers who do it now are two hentai groups, because they're very protective of their e-peen and don't want people casually ripping scripts.
There were still 100% hardsubbed primary releases through the Summer 2009 season, and some with hardsubbed karaoke and/or typesetting into 2010 or 2011.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3