• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Battling Brothers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:51 am Reply with quote
Poor Pupa. Sure, it was terribly bizarre and wrong, and the over-the-top censorship in the TV airings and internet streams certainly didn't help, but it's not like it wasted the artistry of one of Japan's most reliable animation studios on some of the worst writing I've ever seen, like Glasslip did.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
EnigmaticSky wrote:
I would love to vote for Angel Beats, but I can't really in good conscience. All the Girls Dead Monster songs are great (featuring LiSA, now known for the first SAO opening), but the background music is pretty much the expected bleeps and bloops to fill in the silence.

I think you're selling the Angel Beats! BGM way short. It's quite varied, between big-ass battle themes, tear-jerking piano, goofy comedy melodies, etc., as required by the all-over-the-map series itself. Click through it on iTunes and I think you'll find it's a lot more substantial than you're remembering.

I actually have the soundtrack. I mean it compliments the show well enough, but I never felt it was more than fitting, while some can elevate the show as a whole. The piano version of ichiban no takuramono was great, and there were definitely some other standout tracks, but I do feel the soundtrack as a whole can be overhyped a bit. There are definitely song that are just pings that are meant to be background for conversation; I tend to skip those when they come up when I have my ipod on shuffle.
TropicaliaSoup

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
Poor Pupa. Sure, it was terribly bizarre and wrong, and the over-the-top censorship in the TV airings and internet streams certainly didn't help, but it's not like it wasted the artistry of one of Japan's most reliable animation studios on some of the worst writing I've ever seen, like Glasslip did.

Jeez I actually liked Glasslip, but yeah the art and animation is the best thing about it. I wouldn't call the writing terrible as so many people have but rather annoyingly vague and perhaps pretentious in conveying its ideas. Its not that easy to compare these shows but pupa was bad in so many ways. Pupa never shocked me in its storytelling and I didn't even mind the censoring. The short format didn't help but irregardless the story the anime told was meandering, hinted at some interesting developments, and was ultimately just a brother and sister love story.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:53 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I have to legitimately ask how you can work at a place where anime is your profession, but not have seen or have some knowledge of Naruto.

I just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly, are you insinuating I don't deserve my job because I haven't watched Naruto? I have "some knowledge" of the show since it's impossible not to, but being a generation before it "hit," I missed the target demographic. DBZ was what was popular with the guys and some of my girl friends when I was a kid, when it premiered on Toonami. Naruto, Bleach, etc hit it off when I was in high school or early college.

But really, your line of thinking that I'm not qualified to work here for that specific reason is silly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps it's a bit old, but I'd vote for Rahxephon OST, right up there with some of the more classic ones... it didn't make the list.

Being more jazz/experimental influenced may make it more off putting for some, but I would argue that it enhances the story in so many ways, that it is worthwhile to have on the list...

Even when listened to by itself, it is quite a work.
Certainly many people have different definitions of what an OST is used for, or why. But my first question is usually, does the soundtrack impact your emotional state when you are watching?
Does discordant music work with or against what is going on on-screen... does happy music fall in line with what the point of an episode is.

Occasionally I find a show with soundtrack that distracts, and many are neutral... the best, make the show so much more.

/captain obvious Wink
Niello

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I really didn't like cutting my favourite OSTs to just 5, but it's not as if the poll isn't going to turn into a popularity contest.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:

I didn't see Glasslip but at least you can say that there was some ambition or effort in that animation. Pupa feels like something they were forced to do because it was licensed before but nobody in the study want it so they delayed one season to know what the hell to do with it and make it shorts of 3 minutes of content (and with an opening composed of just manga artwork) completely nosensical and without purpose in every aspect. It's one of the most trashy and not-even-the-creators-cares things I've ever seen.

Although, because it's so trashy and short, it doesn't impact you or offends you in anyway so I guess it's the least painful kind of super trashy? ~~
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Niello wrote:
...but it's not as if the poll isn't going to turn into a popularity contest.

You say that as if there's something else a poll could be. Like there's some objective metric for factually determining the "best" OST, whether you could vote for one or any number less than all of them ever. oO
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:28 pm Reply with quote
well the rahxephon OST was definitely good. the same with the NGE OST from the past and Angel Beasts. but yea, polls arent usually meant to be popularity contest.

Last edited by jr240483 on Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Ok I think everyone needs to move on from the fact that Sasuke/Itachi didn't make the list. People can be disappointed or feel they should have been but there is no need for the rudeness some of you are displaying. There is also no need to insult Lynzee or question her credentials because she has not seen every anime show ever. Nor is there a need to insult other posters and infer they are trolls or total newbs because they have not seen Naruto. So I suggest everyone play nice from here on out.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:47 pm Reply with quote
People who aren't fans of anime, for one.

Anime is not an academic subject. (Well, it is, but it's not a widely-studied one, and I don't think most of the people here study it academically.) There isn't any information people are obligated to know before jumping in, nor is there anything that would be common knowledge within this sub-medium.

I personally find it pretty rude to insult someone just because they don't know something. It smacks of smug superiority. I was wondering myself why Sasuke and Itachi did not make the list, but when I found out the author is not familiar with the events of Naruto, I thought to myself, "Okay, that's understandable. If you don't feel you know enough about something to write about it, it's best to avoid writing it altogether." But now we have a few people ganging up on the author for not having a particular entry on the list through no fault of her own.

What, pray tell, makes Naruto so special that not having seen or read it would invite ridicule and name-calling? It's famous, but it's not popcultural osmosis levels of famous.

Furthermore, this is an editorial column. It's what one particular individual thinks are the superlatives within anime. There will not be a single person who will completely agree with the list. That's a fact for any list of superlatives anyone creates, and that's a fact more people need to take into consideration when they see such a list.
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:40 am Reply with quote
Forget Sasuke and Itachi, I'm flustered that Tekkaman Blade's Takaya and Shinya Aiba didn't make the list. By far one of the best brotherly rivalries in anime.
Sango chan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:44 am Reply with quote
For the OST poll

almost all the music by Yuki Kajirua. Her Music is Just beautiful. more so in the series i've seen like in Mai-Hime, Mai-Otome, El Cazador de la bruja (Desert sun is my #1 fav from this series), .Hack//SIGN, SAO. actually I didn't know she did the music for SAO until episode 19 of SAOII when this BGM came up and it sounded like it came out of El Cazador. lol.

The Music from Naruto and Fairy Tail. they too have some really good Ost and quite a few of them makes me cry as wel. lol.

Key's Music. Oh Key how you make me cry. Clannad and Kanon were the only two anime I've seen from key but roaring tides 1, roaring tides II, Town flow of time people, The place were wishes come true, just to name a few from clannad that made me cry. I just love that ost so much.

Inuyasha's Ost is also good. I love alot of the music in Inuyasha.

hmmm, that's really all i can think of off the top of my head right now.

If game music was included I would so put the music down for Ar tonelico and Ni no kuni. their ost's are really beautiful.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:08 am Reply with quote
Awesome list. I know nada about Vampire Knight, though.

Yeah, Pupa deserves that dubious honor of being the worst anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:34 am Reply with quote
-'Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040'---'Tenchi in Love' movie
-Darker Than Black, Michiko & Hatchin, Planetes, Crest of the Stars, Tokyo Godfathers

Might these titles get separated? The first two titles, Tokyo 2040 and Tenchi in Love, were my doing because I felt they needed special mention but there was only one blank space to squeeze them in. Yet there's always the chance not everyone would want to vote for both titles at once.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5