• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Battling Brothers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:33 am Reply with quote
When I saw the poll was for best OST, I thought it had to be limited in some way--best OST this year, maybe, or best OST composer? But Best OST of all time!? You've got to be kidding me! That's way too hard, even with 5 choices.

Sooo....well, Cowboy Bebop is an obvious choice, and I'm not the biggest Trigun fan, but it had a good soundtrack. I liked the soundtrack of the first few seasons of Bleach so much I wrote about it in the AnswerFans column in ANN (mostly for the insert song "Number One" and those OP&EDs. Not sure if the whole OST holds up). The underappreciated Kyousougiga had a fantastic, whimsical soundtrack that really added to the wonder of the show. I agree with an earlier poster that the original Fullmetal Alchemist had an amazing soundtrack with its choral music. So those would be my 5, as a music lay person (I can't play instruments or read music, I've never taken a music theory course, although I'd like to) who doesn't always notice the power or importance of a good OST.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
When you mean brothers do you mean like brothers in arms or ACTUAL biological brothers? Never would have known that Kenshiro and Raouh were related. As for Dragon Ball Z, you can't help but run into someone who's related stopping by Earth to kick Goku's A$$.

As for the old poll didn't expect 'Akame ga Kill' to be on the most hated anime list of 2014. But guess what I didn't see on that list was 'Rage of Bahamut' and 'Garo'. Interesting. So folks loved it! YAY.

Now as for the new poll what was the best anime OST.

Well, for me my top 5 would be

Giant Robo

Revolutionary Girl Utena

Neon Genesis Evangelion

My-Otome So why did we put My-Otome and not HiME. And what's with these double entries? If you're going to do that then both should have been listed.

Attack on Titan

No Ghibli, what kind of list is this?
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

'Sprited Away' and 'Princess Mononoke' are right there if you look.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

'Sprited Away' and 'Princess Mononoke' are right there if you look.

I saw that but I should have worded that better. But hell, no Castle in the Sky, no Kiki, no Totoro? So my choices are limited. I'm shocked they even put Giant Robo or Bubblegum Crisis on the list.

Not meaning to nitpick but this list could have been better in the sense that in one entry you have the Romanized spelling for Attack on Titan, and then listed again alongside Gundam and then have Attack on Titan at the top spelled in English. If you're going to do a poll list then it be best to check for these types of errors.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But guess what I didn't see on that list was 'Rage of Bahamut' and 'Garo'. Interesting. So folks loved it! YAY.

That actually could be because they are so under-watched that nobody even know about it. I just a test on a group of average anime watchers on facebook using a page called animetrending. When posting a picture of an anime say Tokyo Ghoul, it generates thousands and likes and hundreds of comments and shares. While when a post for Rage of Bahamut and Garo are posted. The top they ever gotten to was less than 100 likes and 10 comments. So you see, the average watchers only tend to watch what the common mobs told them to watch rather than actually going around to watch other stuffs to see what they could/could not like.

Last edited by Animelover12313 on Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Animelover12313 wrote:
chrno2 wrote:
But guess what I didn't see on that list was 'Rage of Bahamut' and 'Garo'. Interesting. So folks loved it! YAY.

That actually could be because they are so under-watched that nobody even know about it. I just a test on a group of average anime watchers on facebook using a page called animetrending. When posting a picture of an anime say Tokyo Ghoul, it generates thousands and likes and hundreds of comments and shares. While when a post for Rage of Bahamut and Garo are posted. The top they ever gotten to was less than 100 likes and 10 comments. So you see, the average watchers only tend to watch what the common mobs told them to watch rather than actually going around to watch other stuffs to see what they could/could not like.

Hmmm... that makes sense. Never thought of it that way since I usually base follow people that pick like their top shows their watching. But I could have never have thought they didn't get a blip. But hell there was quite a bit of buzz on Akame ga Kill as well as a few others but didn't expect it to be on the crap list. Parasyte was pretty new but that's got quite a bit of attention. But SMC, well that's been making folks cry. I was hoping they could see it through. I guess whatever is driving the hot property good or bad gets mention.

But thank for that little tidbit. I'm take a look.
HeroicRebellion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[A another good example of this would be Edward vs Envy from Fullmetal Alchemist (the first anime). Obviously this is spoilerific but this would qualify]
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote
^@ HeroicRebellion
You need to give some kind of hint about what is hidden under the spoiler tag, so that people can decide if they want to read it.
Since I did read it I know that it is about Fullmetal Alchemist.
That, by itself, is not a spoiler.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HeroicRebellion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
^@ HeroicRebellion
You need to give some kind of hint about what is hidden under the spoiler tag, so that people can decide if they want to read it.
Since I did read it I know that it is about Fullmetal Alchemist.
That, by itself, is not a spoiler.

spoiler[ Envy being Edward's half brother, that's not a spoiler?]
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:08 am Reply with quote
HeroicRebellion wrote:
spoiler[ Envy being Edward's half brother, that's not a spoiler?]

That may be a spoiler, but the fact that the show is Fullmetal Alchemist is not a spoiler because people will not know who the characters are until they read the spoiler.

My point is that you need to tell people something about what is hidden so that they can decide if it is safe for them to read it.
In this case you have to tell them what show it is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:32 am Reply with quote
More specifically, this applies only to the first Fullmetal Alchemist anime and not Brotherhood.
Niello

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Niello wrote:
...but it's not as if the poll isn't going to turn into a popularity contest.

You say that as if there's something else a poll could be. Like there's some objective metric for factually determining the "best" OST, whether you could vote for one or any number less than all of them ever. oO

I know this late reply isn't going to do anything in particular, I just want to correct the misconception. By popularity contest I didn't mean it in term of the OST itself but that the more obscure shows basically have no chance even if they have amazing OST.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5