• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Game Systems in Japan: 2014

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Though, the PS4 did get 1 million during the next 3 days, its been a good 1st year for it. 3DS did the usual. Vita stepped up. Wii U...had its moments. PS3 went down, which was expected. Xbox...*fill in the blank*

Oh, and PSP the GOAT!
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations to the Nintendo 3DS for being 2014's best-selling handheld console. Smile
As for the Xbox One...Well, let's just say it fared slightly better in Western areas than it did in Japan.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:50 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:

PS3 went down, which was expected.

To be fair, PS3 went down everywhere (might as well go for a PS4). Same for the X360 everywhere, with one big exception - the US where it's still selling (indicated by Black Friday figures).

KH91 wrote:

Oh, and PSP the GOAT!

Dunno why they include PS Vita TV - it's seen more an accessory and barely outselling XB1.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:

Congratulations to the Nintendo 3DS for being 2014's best-selling handheld console. Smile

Big fish of becoming smaller pond unfortunately. Almost singlehandedly holding up the roof, Japan thank goodness for Nintendo; otherwise, mobile gaming would already pwn the market.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:

As for the Xbox One...Well, let's just say it fared slightly better in Western areas than it did in Japan.

Even China did better in a week than in Japan. Despite the censorship, Asian focus on home consoles will most likely be moving there.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:01 pm Reply with quote
The Vita is designed for a Japanese audience in mind and has great games that are mostly Eastern developed, which explains why it's in 2nd place and the 3DS has a heavy Japanese 3rd party presence and the most RPGs of the 2 (most of them are Japan only), there is not much of a big non-indie Western 3rd party presence on either platform so the 3DS may also have this affliction except not even nearly as much due to the 1st party titles which are released everywhere for the most part. Also both have strong niche support outside of Japan for the most part though.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:44 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
KH91 wrote:

PS3 went down, which was expected.

To be fair, PS3 went down everywhere (might as well go for a PS4). Same for the X360 everywhere, with one big exception - the US where it's still selling (indicated by Black Friday figures).

Mr. Oshawott wrote:

Even China did better in a week than in Japan. Despite the censorship, Asian focus on home consoles will most likely be moving there.

Enurtsol, just to let you know sales for both video game software and hardware are at it's lowest in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:16 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Enurtsol, just to let you know sales for both video game software and hardware are at it's lowest in Japan.

Thanks, that's 'cause they're spending their monies on mobile gaming instead.

2014: Japanese console market down as mobile gaming takes over

• Japan’s console market saw a significant dip in earnings last year, a new annual report on the region finds.

Analyst Dr. Serkan Toto posted a copy of the Japanese Computer Entetainment Supplier’s Association’s release, showing console-related sales were down 16 per cent – a drop from $4.8bn in 2012 to $4bn in 2013.

Breaking that down further, hardware sales saw a year-on-year dive of $400m, while software sales dipped $400m as well. PS3 made up 21.8 per cent of hardware and software sales, while Vita grabbed 11.7 per cent of the pie as well. DS/3DS sales made up a whopping 46.7 per cent of the market.

Note that those figures don’t include PS4 or Xbox One numbers, since both released (or are releasing, in Microsoft’s case) after 2013. Still, Xbox One sales aren’t expected to turn any tides for the general market and PS4 has yet to become the same draw that the PS3 was at its peak in the territory.

It wasn’t all bad news. Mobile gaming is more than making up for the console decline, as it brought in $5.1bn last year combined with featurephone gaming purchases. The sector was worth just $370m in 2011.

So 2013 the year it overtook video consoles already. Japan was late to the iOS/Android party due to holding on to their Galapagos phones, but whoa, seems now they're just overcompensating. Like as a kid denied to own a game system, so when finally allowed one, getting everything on sight to make up for lost time.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:26 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Thanks, that's 'cause they're spending their monies on mobile gaming instead.

Japanese console market down as mobile gaming takes over

So 2013 the year it overtook video consoles already. Japan was late to the iOS/Android party due to holding on to their Galapagos phones, but whoa, seems now they're just overcompensating. Like as a kid denied to own a game system, so when finally allowed one, getting everything on sight to make up for lost time.

Thanks for the link, yeah I'm not surprised. Same thing is happening in South Korea although overseas sales is contributing to this (sorry if I go off topic). It's about time Japan stepped into the 21 century.

Enurtsol, do you think the tax hike and the weakened yen could also contribute to the low console (and software) sales in Japan? I mean I have read report that the tax hike in Japan did hurt PS4 sales.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:45 am Reply with quote
The tax hike brought everything down in the next 2 quarters; that's why Japan went into recession.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:57 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Well, let's just say it fared slightly better in Western areas than it did in Japan.

More specifically, the US. PS4 is outselling XBONE in the EU almost 4:1. America is the only country that's buying the XBONE it seems.

Hoppy800 wrote:
The Vita is designed for a Japanese audience in mind and has great games that are mostly Eastern developed, which explains why it's in 2nd place and the 3DS has a heavy Japanese 3rd party presence and the most RPGs of the 2 (most of them are Japan only), there is not much of a big non-indie Western 3rd party presence on either platform so the 3DS may also have this affliction except not even nearly as much due to the 1st party titles which are released everywhere for the most part. Also both have strong niche support outside of Japan for the most part though.

Agreed. The Vita and 3DS have amazing libraries and are pretty much what I spend most of my time gaming on these days. So many great titles for them, especially if you're an importer.

I also can't think of any western handheld games that aren't ports of console games (i..e annual Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, etc) or shovelware tie-in games based on movies/TV shows. I guess western companies pretty much don't bother with handhelds.

Japanese mobile games are pretty fun too, even if they're a pain in the ass to play as a gaijin. Luckily the ones I like are the card game ones like Rage of Bahamut and the various Naruto/Fairy Tail card games. Mainly for the artwork and waifus.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:21 am Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

Well, let's just say it fared slightly better in Western areas than it did in Japan.

More specifically, the US. PS4 is outselling XBONE in the EU almost 4:1. America is the only country that's buying the XBONE it seems.

America alone accounts for half of XB1 sales; so the other half comes from the rest of the world.
(America accounts for a third of PS4 sales.)

Fedora-san wrote:

I also can't think of any western handheld games that aren't ports of console games (i..e annual Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, etc) or shovelware tie-in games based on movies/TV shows. I guess western companies pretty much don't bother with handhelds.

Yeah, they instead go for PC gaming. That's where Japan diverges with the West (plus China and South Korea, among other big PC game markets). They pretty much deem handhelds a lost cause and ceding it to mobile gaming (though as tablets become more powerful, especially with nVidia and Intel chips/architecture going into the market, Steam/PC gaming could go there too).
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:19 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
The tax hike brought everything down in the next 2 quarters; that's why Japan went into recession.

Yes I"m aware of that:

Judging from your message, it looks like the tax hike did hurt video game (both software and hardware) sales in Japan.
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Those home console numbers are so depressing.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:41 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Those home console numbers are so depressing.

Yes it's very depressing to see console sales falling in Japan. Anime cry
Sariachan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Well, for the most part I prefer handhelds anyway, so... ^^

Considering the popularity of mobile games, though, I'm starting to think that the next Nintendo portable console cold have some smartphone features too. °_°
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:19 pm Reply with quote
The games on the feature phones were far better than the cash grab, money pit trash on smartphones. I wish they stayed with them and just upgraded the technology a lot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2