• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Question about an animation studio.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:45 am Reply with quote
or rather, a supposed animation studio.

a few days back I noticed some stuff being posted on tumblr and deviantArt about someone using deviantArt to attempt to hire new artists and animators.

they said their name is Masayo Kakihara and that they run MKW Animation Studio. deviantArt users noticed that the portfolio on their site they had art in it made by deviantArt and tumblr artists. it also turned out they were using that same stolen art on their facebook to advertise their services, which makes their excuse that their webdesigner put up some random stuff from google to test it out and accidentally made it live seem a little fishy. especially given it was on BOTH their mkwanimation.com site and their perseverance.in/masayo site.

they HAD a wikipedia article on their studio which was taken down for lack of citations and dubiousness and they claimed on another site there was an article here on ANN from last year about MKW Animation Studio working with Shinichiro Watanabe that I can't find, if it ever really existed. some of the "customer reviews" seem a bit fishy too (multiple reviews from people/studios in the Japanese animation industry in perfect English for one, one of the reviews being from what appears to be a Norwegian puppet animator who died over a dozen years ago while their studio was founded in 2012 being another).

I was just wondering if I was reading too much into this issue, which I have been looking into at the request of a couple people from deviantArt affected by this. they are worried this is a scam, that this is someone trying to trick people into doing work for them only to pay them little if anything and sell off the stolen work for a profit. so if anyone knows anything about this Masayo Kakihara and her MKW Animation Studio that can confirm or deny if it's legit or not I would be much grateful. the information I can find on my own isn't much, but it is enough to make me question their legitimacy even more.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:59 am Reply with quote
We don't have any information on that studio in our Encyclopedia, which means that it's highly unlikely that they have ever work on a legitimate animation projection.

I absolutely agree that what you describe about it and its founder really smells.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:04 am Reply with quote
yeah. the chances a legit studio, even a small one, would have worked on two Ghibli projects (The Wind Rises and Ronja), with Shinichiro Watanabe, and done work on Angel Beats and everything else that shows up on the clips used here and Akatsuki no Yona (which their deleted Wikipedia article claimed and they have a trailer for in their current 2D Animation section of their portfolio) and them having no info on sites like this, a valid Wikipedia article, and so on are pretty damn slim.

I am starting to feel extra sorry for the people who have believed their excuses and those who see those people publicly state their belief that it was all an honest mistake without seeing the rest of the picture...

and... holy crap... I just noticed that one of their 2D Animation clips in their portfolio is the opening for Ronja... the Anime-Koi subs version of it. dead gods, this is starting to smell more fishy than the local beach when the alewives start washing up dead on it on a bad year.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm virtually 100% positive they're scamming now since I just got confirmation today that they've lied about their past employment history on top of everything else.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1