• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Death Parade

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7jaws7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Death Parade is trending on Twitter? Shocked
Vennex

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I will indeed miss this show, the core of which focusing on empathy and a judgement system made this to be quite the enjoyable one. And while the finale was simple and somewhat predictable, it was well executed and left me satisfied with a feeling of completion even with all the unanswered questions.

Shows with a profound meaning such as this are great to make you reflect on how you perceive life. Overall I'd give it 9/10
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:31 am Reply with quote
You know, there are a lot of shows that force a characters to confront a dilemma like this. And when they do, it's always pretty obvious from a strictly impartial, uninvolved perspective that the correct, morally right choice is to not sacrifice others for their own gain. So they don't, because they're a good person. The end. It's actually a bit trite most of the time. At best it inspires us to nod dutifully in agreement or half-heartedly applaud the character for their heroic sacrifice.

What I find so cool about Death Parade though is that it really made me feel on an emotional level like Chiyuki did the right thing. In the end there is a world of difference between knowing rationally that others have the exact same feelings and relationships as us and actually feeling empathy such that it actually motivates us on an emotional level. The series has done a wonderful job of capturing that vital and more elusive latter element. Although, come to think of it, I also have to give it credit in the opposite direction. It also really brings across just how much Chiyuki wants to be able to live again. That's what feels so genuine here. It really captures all sides of the situation.

As for the rest, I really couldn't care less. I never expected them to even try to explain the origins of the judgement system or why it is necessary. These are questions that are ultimately better left unanswered. I though we might see a little more come of Nona and Oculus' confrontation. But I'm perfectly fine that we didn't too. Actually, I think it's interesting that in the end Oculus really isn't the villain per se. I think he's wrong but I completely understand his perspective. Arcane as the judgement system may be, his rule that the arbiters cannot have emotions is motivated by the belief that actually feeling empathy for the people they judge will pretty much break them.

Anyway, this is a great show. A true masterpiece. My favorite show since Space Dandy and before that since...I don't even know.
moonshine101

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:30 am Reply with quote
I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed this anime. I was expecting it to be good, not fantastic. The transitions from new characters being introduced to the main characters development and understanding of each other felt really genuine to me. Episode 9 and 10 were my favourites, as that was an amazing story.

As for the ending, it is one of those paradoxes that Chiyuki was placed in with the ending being what I expected. It would be hard though to choose between the two though, but I imagine the guilt of knowing you are alive due to the death of another person would weigh you down greatly even if you are reincarnated back in your original body.

Their relationship was very beautiful I thought throughout the entire series as it posed different questions from different situations.

Overall, this has become my favourite(at present) this season for anime. 10/10 from me.
chex mix

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:53 am Reply with quote
Why even bring up plot points you have no intention of following through on? This would have been a much stronger show if Oculus had been omitted from it completely. He brought nothing to the table that couldn't have been filled in by another character, and nothing of his character was resolved. Leaving him out would have kept things much smoother, and freed up some time to devote to the other completely ignored plot, the information bureau girls and the mystery of people dying too fast.
Keltian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:33 pm Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:
Why even bring up plot points you have no intention of following through on? This would have been a much stronger show if Oculus had been omitted from it completely. He brought nothing to the table that couldn't have been filled in by another character, and nothing of his character was resolved. Leaving him out would have kept things much smoother, and freed up some time to devote to the other completely ignored plot, the information bureau girls and the mystery of people dying too fast.

I agree. I saw no purpose to Oculus at all. As for the show as a whole. I am happy with how it ended. They did a very good job at encapsulating a story in 12 episodes. I'm sure people would like more questions answered but I think it is fine as they left it. I hope this show gets the praise and attention it deserves.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote
There was no mystery about people dying too fast. There are just a lot of people alive now, and a certain percentage are going to die. If there was any mystery about it, it was why there wasn't enough staff to handle the load.
ichii_1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Horrible and good at the same time Sad Smile
I won't miss it that's for sure.

8/10 because of MADHOUSE Anime hyper
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:31 pm Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:

My opinion is that they're doing this to generate theories among the viewers. As much as I'm going to miss this show, I don't think a second season will be all that good for it. Death Parade is trying to give the viewers something to think about after it's finale. If the show only focused on its theme of empathy, then after it ended it would only detain the thoughts of the viewer for a short while. By leaving all these open ended questions and unexplained mysteries, people can create their own ideas as to why the judgement system is created, what happened to god, etc.

As for me, I thoroughly enjoyed the show. Although the theme of empathy didn't reach me all that much, I especially enjoyed the games that were held for judgment (wait, does that make me demented Shocked). Another big hit for Madhouse, 9/10. Gotta love that opening, it'll stay with me forever on my phone. But do not be depressed guys! Spring season is upon us, with more awesomeness in the form of Unlimited Blade Works part 2, Shokugeki no Soma, Owari no Seraph, and many others!
IKKIsama

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Zac Bertschy wrote:
He claims Harada's soul can sidestep the void if he sends another soul in its place, and gives Mayu a choice, showing her a photo of a dude and busting out a big red button. Send this dude in his place, he says, and you can save him. He pushes her into it, even; she asks what sort of man the guy in the photo is, and he replies with “well, what kind of person would he have to be in order for you to chuck Harada's essence into the soul dumpster?”

Didn't recognize the guy, did you ? Mr. Green
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:16 am Reply with quote
IKKIsama wrote:
Zac Bertschy wrote:
He claims Harada's soul can sidestep the void if he sends another soul in its place, and gives Mayu a choice, showing her a photo of a dude and busting out a big red button. Send this dude in his place, he says, and you can save him. He pushes her into it, even; she asks what sort of man the guy in the photo is, and he replies with “well, what kind of person would he have to be in order for you to chuck Harada's essence into the soul dumpster?”

Didn't recognize the guy, did you ? Mr. Green

Within the show, Ginti's point stands because condemning a stranger you know nothing about would be incredibly selfish. But seeing who it was, well, I can't say it would have been the wrong choice. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7